Large Animal Veterinary Practice in the Tropics
Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image

Large Animal Veterinary Practice in the Tropics

You better Belize it!

When I first got to Belize, the course coordinator, Cynthia, told us all that we would leave Belize as changed people. I knew Belize would definitely give me new insight into the veterinary world, but thinking that I would leave a changed person seemed a bit extreme. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Cynthia was right. This course was one of the most life-changing events in my life, not only because of the amazing curriculum but the culture you are immersed in. Belize is such an incredible place with so many different people, each with their own unique stories. The veterinarians that you work with do their best to ensure that you not only get a wide variety of experience with the various animals of the country but with the people who work with those animals as well. The work you get to do with the animals/farmers gives you the chance to appreciate the way the agriculture business used to be run before big corporations take over. You get to see and participate in real agriculture practices where the farmers actually care about their animals. This is how all agriculture businesses should be and this is the reason why I want to be a vet.

C.E.L.A.

I had such a wonderful time studying abroad in Belize with C.E.L.A. I gained so much valuable hands on experience with large and small animals and learned so much about the veterinary field, particularly in Belize. I met so many wonderful people, from the students to the doctors and their families. This experience has certainly changed how I view the world and my surrounding and has made me more excited than ever to go to veterinary school. The course was a nice balance between learning, field work, fun, and cultural immersion. I would recommend this course, and studying abroad with C.E.L.A., to any student interested in vet med. I would highly recommend going in the winter, if possible, because the weather was perfect and beautiful and I imagine the summer would be unbearably hot.

CELA Belize

The hands on experience I received through this experience was second to none. The program is designed to allow the student to jump right in and the knowledge staff assists you every step of the way to provide an exceptional education.

Unreal and amazing

I absolutely loved this program. So much hands on experience and a great way to learn and also explore all of Belize. Loved every second of it. Not only was the course amazing, but the people are unforgettable. I wanna go back haha.

C.E.L.A Belize large animal winter course

I am forever grateful to have been granted the opportunity to embark in such an incredible program. I was able to live, learn, and make the best memories with phenomenal individuals and have fun!!

Absolutely amazing

Had the time of my life-- I made the most amazing memories and learned so much. Could not have been a better trip. Everyone here is so amazing and made the experience even better. This is truly something I will never forget!

Must do

This program taught me more about veterinary medicine than I have learned in any class. Everything is so hands on that you leave learning how to do so many things. I had never given injections, sutured, or castrated an animal before and I left knowing how to do all those things. And you meet so many people who are just as passionate as you are about veterinary medicine. This is literally the most wonderful experience I have ever had. You learn so much and meet so many people, this course made me fall in love with Belize. And if that is not enough, you leave with a huge network of people from Belize and all over the United States that are always willing to help and answer questions. But, just some advice, make sure to ask questions about credit transfer because Cynthia never gave anyone information on forms to fill out and the steps to take. So a few girls took the course and spent the money only to find out they could not get any credits.

Summer 2017

By far the best experience of my entire life! I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone in the animal medicine field! So much hands on experience that you could never get anywhere else! Along with experience you meet a ton of amazing people.

CELA program

Overall this is a wonderful program and the experiences and opportunities I was able to get down here I know I couldn't get back at home. The instructors and TA were amazing and good at teaching us the skills we needed to know.

Large animal practices

I loved this course. We had lots of hands on experience and we also got to explore and have fun in this country. We were given opportunities here that we would've never had in the states. I feel very fortunate to have gotten this opportunity.

Get out of the books and into the field!

This course was so much more than I expected! We spent a lot more time out in the field doing hands on work than we did in the classroom which made the experience so much more valuable because learning something and doing it yourself are two very different things. Everyone was friendly and the instructors explained the procedures in a way that made it easy to understand. I learned that the best way to grow as a student and as a person is to get out into the field and experience as much as possible, and I had a great time here in Belize!

Large animal course

I absolutely loved my time in Belize with CELA. The course was incredibly hands-on, the instructor Dr. Tesecum and his assistant Ruben were knowledgeable and awesome as was everyone with PAWS veterinary clinic in San Ignacio. Incredible opportunity to experience the culture, landscapes and people of Cayo, Belize as well as do real veterinary work on large farm animals! I loved every minute of the trip.

Large animal review

Overall, my time in Belize was amazing to say the least. Dr. T and his whole family welcomed us with open arms, and everyone we met along the way was amazing to work with. I would've liked more organization with the pre-departure details.

UnBelizeable

This was an amazing hands on experience. It beats anything you can do as an undergraduate in the United States. It addition to being a really informative animal experience, CELA encourages it's students to really experience all Belize has to offer, to get to know the people and to build relationships during their session. The technical skills and networks I built while abroad made this trip more amazing than I anticipated.

Large animal veterinary in the tropics

This course was beyond what I expected it to be. We got so much hands on experience with different animals, sutures, vaccinations, and surgeries. Great for students wishing to see more into the vet world and get experience for school, or to help them decide if they want to be a vet.

You better Belize this course is amazing!

Going to Belize was one of the most amazing trips of my life. I 100% recommend this trip! You will experience new and exciting things that really change the way you think about veterinary medicine and about the world in general. I made so many great friends and it was such a blast exploring Belize as the little family that we became.

Review

Every aspect of the trip was incredible except for the administrative aspects. How much money we would really need was not clear; the packing list was not accurate; and I was unable to take this course for credit because I was not made aware of the fact that I would have to pay $150 and send my school transcript to the other university. We should also be able to experience the local culture of San Ignacio and the surrounding area by going on excursions with Ruben and Dr. T after our activities of the day were finished. They understand what is safe and unsafe better than anyone, and there was never a time that I felt unsafe with them around. Ruben and Dr. T are both incredible people, and I will never forget the experience that they allotted me.

Large animals vet course

I had such an amazing time on this trip! Belize is such a beautiful county and the teachers and staff at CELA are so nice and welcoming! They really make you feel like part of their family! I learned so much on this course there was so much hands on activity that definitely help make me an awesome vet!

Large animal veterinary program

I really enjoyed this program! I absolutely loved having Dr. T and Dr Stephanie as the veterinarians we worked under. Ruben, another one of the guys who helped out was also absolutely amazing and bonded really well with our group. I would not have wanted any other people to instruct us. I wish we were allowed to go more places with Ruben as he knew awesome places to go for less money than full on tours since we were already paying so much to be there. He also is really fun to hang out with and really knowledgeable about the area, so he would have been perfect to take us around.
Overall, I really enjoyed how hands on the program was! We were able to do hands on things every day, like practicing suturing an animal, that we could not have gotten to do back in the United States. Additionally, we did everything at least twice so that we were able to practice getting better at it. The instructors are also really good about breaking down the information in a simple manner so that no matter what your background is, it is easy for you quickly pick up what is going on.
One thing I wish I has known was how much money we would be spending on food. In the beginning, they told us not to by food from the street since it could make us sick from not being used to it so we ate at restaurants a lot, which ended up costing a lot of money. By the end, I ate more street food and the food was extremely delicious and cheap, so that helped save money.

Overall, I highly recommend taking this program!

Large animal pre-veterinary program

This program was just unBELIZEable! I enjoyed everything that the program had to offer and I learned so much during the 2 weeks that I spent there. Each day is so fulfilling and they were filled with experiences that I would have never had if I just stayed in the US. Everyone was very nice and welcoming and I never found any problems with any part of the trip. I think if you have the chance to come to the program then you should definitely take the chance.

CELA is awesome!

I thoroughly enjoyed myself in the Large Animal Vet course. I think the people (the local people & the vets/staff of the program) were awesome and the culture was even better than the animals. The program did a great job at giving the student a well-rounded education.

Great class and experience!

Overall I had a wonderful time on this trip, the experiences and memories will last a lifetime and they are something I will never forget! The hands on experience is something I would have never previously been able to have with specific large animals here in the U.S. So I'm glad I was able to have that opportunity!

First time abroad - Absolutely worth it

The past two weeks have been some of the best of my life, and I recommend this course to anyone wanting to get involved in veterinary medicine, not necessarily just large animal. We got to work with cats and dogs in clinical settings a couple times as well as the large animal experience that the course focused on. The actual course was just the start though, all of the staff involved, from TA's, to the local vets and techs we worked with, to the administrative staff were so welcoming and kind and made our stay as positive as they could.

Overall great experience

I could not have asked for a better 2 weeks in Belize. I had so much hands on experience, much more than I expected. The instructors were so friendly and knowledgable which made the whole trip extremely educational and fun. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in large animals!

Had a blast in Belize 2017!!

Having just finished my freshman year of college, I really felt that this course was valuable in that taught me the basics of handling large animals. It allowed me to have a lot of hands on experience and gave me a good foundation for working with livestock. My favorite part was that the veterinary care we assisted with was free for the community! Getting to talk to local animal care takers and see how pet ownership was similar or different in another country was a really unique experience. I am so happy I got the opportunity to take this class, I learned a lot about veterinary medicine as well as the culture in Belize!