Large Animal Veterinary Practice in the Tropics
Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image

Large Animal Veterinary Practice in the Tropics

Must do

This program taught me more about veterinary medicine than I have learned in any class. Everything is so hands on that you leave learning how to do so many things. I had never given injections, sutured, or castrated an animal before and I left knowing how to do all those things. And you meet so many people who are just as passionate as you are about veterinary medicine. This is literally the most wonderful experience I have ever had. You learn so much and meet so many people, this course made me fall in love with Belize. And if that is not enough, you leave with a huge network of people from Belize and all over the United States that are always willing to help and answer questions. But, just some advice, make sure to ask questions about credit transfer because Cynthia never gave anyone information on forms to fill out and the steps to take. So a few girls took the course and spent the money only to find out they could not get any credits.

Summer 2017

By far the best experience of my entire life! I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone in the animal medicine field! So much hands on experience that you could never get anywhere else! Along with experience you meet a ton of amazing people.

Large animal course

I absolutely loved my time in Belize with CELA. The course was incredibly hands-on, the instructor Dr. Tesecum and his assistant Ruben were knowledgeable and awesome as was everyone with PAWS veterinary clinic in San Ignacio. Incredible opportunity to experience the culture, landscapes and people of Cayo, Belize as well as do real veterinary work on large farm animals! I loved every minute of the trip.

Large animal review

Overall, my time in Belize was amazing to say the least. Dr. T and his whole family welcomed us with open arms, and everyone we met along the way was amazing to work with. I would've liked more organization with the pre-departure details.

UnBelizeable

This was an amazing hands on experience. It beats anything you can do as an undergraduate in the United States. It addition to being a really informative animal experience, CELA encourages it's students to really experience all Belize has to offer, to get to know the people and to build relationships during their session. The technical skills and networks I built while abroad made this trip more amazing than I anticipated.

You better Belize this course is amazing!

Going to Belize was one of the most amazing trips of my life. I 100% recommend this trip! You will experience new and exciting things that really change the way you think about veterinary medicine and about the world in general. I made so many great friends and it was such a blast exploring Belize as the little family that we became.

Large animals vet course

I had such an amazing time on this trip! Belize is such a beautiful county and the teachers and staff at CELA are so nice and welcoming! They really make you feel like part of their family! I learned so much on this course there was so much hands on activity that definitely help make me an awesome vet!

Large animal pre-veterinary program

This program was just unBELIZEable! I enjoyed everything that the program had to offer and I learned so much during the 2 weeks that I spent there. Each day is so fulfilling and they were filled with experiences that I would have never had if I just stayed in the US. Everyone was very nice and welcoming and I never found any problems with any part of the trip. I think if you have the chance to come to the program then you should definitely take the chance.

First time abroad - Absolutely worth it

The past two weeks have been some of the best of my life, and I recommend this course to anyone wanting to get involved in veterinary medicine, not necessarily just large animal. We got to work with cats and dogs in clinical settings a couple times as well as the large animal experience that the course focused on. The actual course was just the start though, all of the staff involved, from TA's, to the local vets and techs we worked with, to the administrative staff were so welcoming and kind and made our stay as positive as they could.

Overall great experience

I could not have asked for a better 2 weeks in Belize. I had so much hands on experience, much more than I expected. The instructors were so friendly and knowledgable which made the whole trip extremely educational and fun. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in large animals!

Had a blast in Belize 2017!!

Having just finished my freshman year of college, I really felt that this course was valuable in that taught me the basics of handling large animals. It allowed me to have a lot of hands on experience and gave me a good foundation for working with livestock. My favorite part was that the veterinary care we assisted with was free for the community! Getting to talk to local animal care takers and see how pet ownership was similar or different in another country was a really unique experience. I am so happy I got the opportunity to take this class, I learned a lot about veterinary medicine as well as the culture in Belize!

Large animal practice session A

CELA's large animal practice session was so much better than I had ever expected, even after reading previous reviews. The program allowed me to gain a variety of experience working with different large animals while also helping out the community. Our days included ample time for us to get the education we came for as well as allow us time to explore the area we were staying. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to gain hands on experience and learn about animal care in other cultures!

Unforgettable 2 weeks in Belize!

CELA provided an amazing experience! The Belizeans are very friendly and I felt safe walking the town of San Ignacio. The hospitality was exceptional. I enjoyed the hands-on experiences with the cattle, horses, pigs, sheep, and dogs. The most memorable experience was bat trapping at night in the Mennonite community. If you are looking for large animal experience along with immersing yourself in the culture, I would highly recommend the large animal veterinary practices course. You won't regret it!

Time in Belize with CELA

This was a wonderful experience! I would highly recommend this course for anyone interested in veterinarian medicine or anyone who wants to gain large animal experience! The veterinarians you work with are wonderful and super helpful! I learned a lot from this experience!

Belize has my heart

Studying abroad in Belize was a great experience I'll never forget. I gained so much large animal experience that was unavailable to me in the states. It was refreshing to experience veterinary medicine practices in a foreign country where varying approaches are utilized. The cultural experiences were also very special to me. Belize is a beautiful country with wonderful people and I will return soon!

Lifechanging

I fell in love with Belize, the kindness of the city and faculty. Not only do you get hands on experience, but you get life lessons. By helping the animals in the course, the students are also helping out the community. Truly a humbling, indescribable, extraordinary experience!

Excellent program

I really enjoyed my time in Belize for this program. Not only did I feel that I gained a lot of valuable information, but I also met a lot of great people. For me the two weeks flew by too fast and I wish I could go back and do it again.

You better Belize it!

Before coming to Belize and enrolling in this course, I never thought I'd feel like a real person again. Dr. T and Ruben really made this course an amazing experience. I got to do so many hands on things that I'd never get to experience in the states. Initially I was not thinking I'd be prevet but after this experience, I think I might have changed my mind.

The best two weeks

I would come back in an instant this was by far the most amazing experience. We met so many amazing people and did things I never imagined doing until I was far into vet school. I recommend for anyone to take thos course.

In love with Belize and CELA!!

There are no words to describe how amazing my experience with this program was. Not only did I gain unimaginable hands on experience with farm and small animals, but I learned a ton about Belize and met some amazing people who really made my experience unbelievable. I've never felt so sure about my future career as a veterinarian as I do after this program! Each day was full of awesome farm animal experience and we got to see so many different and beautiful parts of Belize. Dr. T and Ruben were amazing and taught us so much about veterinary medicine and the country. Highly recommended this program and I can't wait to go back to Belize!

Great time in Belize!

This program was really great because we got to have so much hands-on learning which is so much better than just sitting in a classroom. I think we were only in the classroom for two days and the rest of the program was out on farm calls or working in the clinic. Not only do you learn a lot about veterinary science but you also get to go on awesome excursions such as swimming through caves or going to Mayan ruins. It was a great two weeks for me!

Large animal medicine experience

I thought the class was really fun and well thought-out, and each experience we had was relevant to the topic of the class. My TA was really engaging and did her best to make every moment worthwhile, and I enjoyed every part of the trip.

Palp-amazing!

I absolutely adored this whole trip. It's extremely inclusive and much more hands-on than I thought it was going to be. I mean I figured we were going to do some kind of hands-on action but I mean in the states you're not allowed to touch the animals unless you've got all kinds of certifications. Fortunately we were allowed to touch everything -- in fact we got in trouble when we didn't! You don't need to tell me twice. The lessons they teach really stick because it's not a notes kind of class; yes there are a few days of classwork but your education is truly the field work. For me this was excellent because I'm an extremely kinesthetic learner so being able to do the things they were teaching made it stick much better for me.

Amazing experience I will remember for a lifetime

It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The program is great, Dr.T and Reuben are great, I would recommend this for anyone, not just those that are planning on going into vet medicine. Just the people you meet and the experience is worth it.

You better Belize it!

During my trip to Belize with the Large Animal Veterinary course I was not only given various amounts of opportunities to learn and gain experience in animal health and wellness but was also immersed in the incredibly diverse and unique culture of of the country. If you have the opportunity to study abroad in Belize through the large animal course, DO IT! My experience was nothing short of amazing. During my decision in choosing the program, getting all of the paperwork completed, and preparing for my stay Cynthia was so helpful and always willing to promptly answer all of my questions. The CELA staff, Veterinary, TA, and everyone else who helped out or that we encountered were always incredibly polite, welcoming, eager to teach and explain, and never hesitated to make us all feel immersed and involved. The experience was personally beneficial as well as so rewarding in the sense that we were able to also give back so much to the community while there. My time in Belize was well worth the effort and money it took to have the experience. Being abroad was eye opening, encouraging, and a total boost of confidence for myself, not to mention I was able to meet a ton of awesome people!