Large Animal Veterinary Practice in the Tropics
CELA Belize Header Image CELA Belize Header Image

Large Animal Veterinary Practice in the Tropics

CELA Belize Large Animal Veterinary Practices in the Tropics

Any student in a pre-veterinary or production animal major should definitely apply for this course! You get loads of hands on experience that is unavailable at home. The course is low-stress, with an emphasis on gaining experience in the field instead of just a classroom. There is a good balance of work and time to explore the country. Definitely would recommend!

Do this program!

I loved every moment of being in Belize. I learned more than I could ever imagine about large animal veterinary medicine and the culture.

Overall review

Overall this course was amazing and hands down my favorite trip. The experiences are so valuable and the people of Belize are great. I made many new friends and learned a lot about the country itself. I miss it so much already.

Large animal veterinary practice in the tropics

This course is a once in a life time opportunity, TAKE IT! The amount of hands on experience you get is amazing, also SUPER nice staff that guide and work with you. The amount of information I learned was substantial!

Great course!

This was an amazing course! I got a ton of hands-on experience with many different large animals, including injections, physical exams, wrangling, and even surgeries. This course also provides a lot of experience with small animals through the free clinic we participated in (we did a lot of physical exams and participated in quite a few spays/neuters). In the process, we visited several different local farms and had free time to explore nearby sites such as Xunantunich. It was a great experience not only getting to work with so many animals but also getting to learn more about farming practices in Belize. Would highly recommend to any student who likes working with animals/is considering a career in veterinary medicine (this course is a good way to decide if you would like to go into large animal medicine).

Study abroad in Belize

My study abroad experience was very enriching. I was able to get more large animal experience and learn by doing. The amount of hands-on experience this course offers is incredible! It helps you get out of your comfort zone and learn skills that will be needed as a veterinarian. In addition, Belize is a beautiful country with a very diverse culture. It is the perfect place to gain new perspectives and become more open minded.

Exceeded all expectations

Before leaving for the program, I was a little skepticle. This was my first time traveling alone out of the country and I wasn't really sure what to expect. The first day I got there I was already having a great time. I loved my group, the resort was beautiful and I was excited to strart the course. The lecture material and field activities were so interesting. I liked the field activities more than the lecture because we could actually get engaged and learn how to handle animals. Everything about the course was interesting, and I feel more prepared for vet school than ever. I wish I could do the program twice!

Large animal veterinary experience in the tropics - you betta Belize it!

This CELA study abroad trip really helped me to break out of my comfort zone! I would go back in a heart beat, as Belize now feels like a second home. I would not have received near as much hands on in the US.

Best first study abroad experience

I've never really left the United States, so hearing about this program was a really exciting prospect. Though both my family and I had our worries and reservations about it, I'm very glad I went through with it. Even on just the first day, the large animal course is super hands on; I helped spay a dog that afternoon. Dr. T and Ruben are very down to earth and eager to help everyone learn to the best of their abilities. CELA allowed me to meet people from across my own country, and I know I have friends for life now. Overall, I cannot recommend this program enough, and the best way to believe me is to try it for yourself.

Need something new? Belize in yourself and go study with CELA!

I could not have asked for a more transformative and life-changing experience than with participating in CELA's Large Animal in the Tropics course! The types of hands-on experiences this program offers is nothing like you can find in the States and it was wonderful knowing that I could give back to the different communities in Belize at the same time while learning more about animal care. One of the lesser known parts about this program is that almost all of the tuition fees go to pay for all of the veterinary care that you perform as a student while visiting a number of different farms. Every injection, castration, or assisted spay/neuter surgery that you get to do is in actuality a veterinary service that you helped to pay for through your participation. It was pretty cool knowing that I could make a difference so early on in my career even still being three years away from applying to veterinary school. Most of the hands-on experiences you are given through this program you do not get the opportunity to do until possibly your third year of vet school so it provided me with a lot of foresight. This is possibly what made the free spay/neuter clinic that we ran my favorite part as you truly get immersed into what a day in the life of being a veterinarian both looks and feels like while running physical examinations and giving routine dewormer/vitamin injections to cats and dogs and get to connect with the owners at the same time. Never once did I ever feel unsupported or unsafe while working with the animals in Belize no matter how small or large they were (You get the opportunity to work with small animals such as cats/dogs as well as livestock including horses, beef/dairy cattle, goats, sheep, and swine). The staff (Dr. T and his brother the vet tech Ruben) were amazing in answering any questions we had and it literally felt like in my group that I had a second family abroad even though it was only for two weeks.

Belize was also a wonderful place to get to be immersed into a new culture as their primary language is English so it made it much easier to learn more about the country. The region is diverse with it taking only 2-3 hours to traverse and depending on where you want to go for the day you could be exploring the jungle, mountains, or one of the world's largest barrier reefs. Often outside of classes, we had time to go on excursions to explore the country a bit more and climbing Mayan ruins and snorkeling were definitely highlights of my experience while studying abroad. What I say is don't doubt yourself in choosing this program because it truly has given me memories and friendships that will last for a lifetime! Go Belize in yourself and choose CELA!

Large animal veterinary medicine in the tropics

I absolutely loved this program and sit patiently waiting to put my TA application in!!! I can’t wait to be back already. I got very close with all of the other students but more so the staff! Thank you to everyone involved with this entire process and I’ll see you soon!

Go abroad with CELA!

Studying abroad with CELA was more than I could have ever asked for. I learned so much and the entire course had so much hands on experience! I never thought I would learn as much as I did, nor did I think I would make so many new lifelong friends. My group of 13 got along extremely well and we all plan to keep in touch. I was also able to connect with the people that live in Belize through the free spay and neuter clinic that was held. The vet, Dr. T, and his brother Ruben (the vet tech), were honestly the best. Not only did they teach us so much, but they took us to so many cool places that makes Belize so special.

Great time!

Not only did I get a lot of hands on experience with large animal medicine, which I've never had before, but I also got to see a lot of Belize. This program is a great mix of learning both veterinary medicine and exploring Belize!

So much experience and fun

CELA was an amazing experience that provides cultural immersion as well as lots of actual field experience. I learned a lot about veterinary medicine through this program really enjoyed the full 2 weeks that the course ran. I wish I had the time to do the wildlife course and stay in Belize for another 2 weeks.

Study with CELA!!

I was nervous going into this trip because I didn't find CELA through my school, but this has been incredible. Dr. T and Ruben are wonderful, the administrative workers are very helpful, and I made lifelong friends. Two weeks might not seem like a long time, but it will feel like you've been here for months (in a good way). The experiences you'll have on this trip are incomparable - snorkeling in the Caribbean Sea and horseback riding through a Belizean rainforest to name a few. The veterinary work is completely hands-on as well, as they allow students to give injections to animals, perform physical exams, and even suture after surgery. If you have the ability to take this class, do it. It will change your life.

CELA large animal veterinary practice in the tropics: amazing experience!

I took the Large Animal Veterinary Practice course from CELA in May 2018. I came into this program with no large animal experience, and I came out of it with lots of veterinary experience feeling comfortable working with large animals. In this class, we went to a lot of farms- sheep, cattle, pig, and horse- we gave vaccines and learned how restrain and give physical exams. The veterinarian, Dr. Tesecum, was a great teacher and so was his tech, Ruben. Everyone got to do several castrations on cattle, pigs, and sheep. We also did a free animal health clinic and free spay/neuter clinic at the Placencia Humane Society in Placencia, Belize, which was an amazing experience. We assisted the veterinarian with the surgeries and we sutured the dogs and cats after the surgery. Through working with the humane society we also got experience with small animals, which I really enjoyed. The housing for this course was also great, Midas Resort in San Ignacio, which was very nice and had a great pool and very good breakfast. Throughout the two weeks I was in Belize we also did lots of excursions, such as Xunantanich Myan Ruins, snorkeling in Placencia, cave canoeing, and zip lining. Overall, this trip gave me valuable hands-on learning with all sorts of animals and was a fun experience! Highly recommended for any pre-vet students wether you have experience with large animals or not!

Amazing first study abroad experience

I had an amazing time while studying large animal veterinary practices in Belize. It was an eye-opener to study animal healthcare in a developing country since their standards are very different from the ones in the United States. I liked that the students had plenty of free time to explore Belize and have a good time. This program included so much more than what I expected. I performed spays and neuters which is something that you cannot do in the States without a DVM. I also vaccinated all different types of livestock animals including pigs and cattle. This was an unforgettable experience.

A truly life changing experience

I absolutely loved this program! Not only did I learn so so much about large animals and animal medicine itself, but I learned so much about medicine itself. I got an enormous amount of hands on experience and made some really great friends. I never felt overwhelmed by the workload, and found most of my learning took place out in the field. I also felt like I was fully immersed into the Belizean culture, and had some amazing experiences outside of the classroom.

You better Belize it!

When I first got to Belize, the course coordinator, Cynthia, told us all that we would leave Belize as changed people. I knew Belize would definitely give me new insight into the veterinary world, but thinking that I would leave a changed person seemed a bit extreme. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Cynthia was right. This course was one of the most life-changing events in my life, not only because of the amazing curriculum but the culture you are immersed in. Belize is such an incredible place with so many different people, each with their own unique stories. The veterinarians that you work with do their best to ensure that you not only get a wide variety of experience with the various animals of the country but with the people who work with those animals as well. The work you get to do with the animals/farmers gives you the chance to appreciate the way the agriculture business used to be run before big corporations take over. You get to see and participate in real agriculture practices where the farmers actually care about their animals. This is how all agriculture businesses should be and this is the reason why I want to be a vet.

C.E.L.A.

I had such a wonderful time studying abroad in Belize with C.E.L.A. I gained so much valuable hands on experience with large and small animals and learned so much about the veterinary field, particularly in Belize. I met so many wonderful people, from the students to the doctors and their families. This experience has certainly changed how I view the world and my surrounding and has made me more excited than ever to go to veterinary school. The course was a nice balance between learning, field work, fun, and cultural immersion. I would recommend this course, and studying abroad with C.E.L.A., to any student interested in vet med. I would highly recommend going in the winter, if possible, because the weather was perfect and beautiful and I imagine the summer would be unbearably hot.

CELA Belize

The hands on experience I received through this experience was second to none. The program is designed to allow the student to jump right in and the knowledge staff assists you every step of the way to provide an exceptional education.

Unreal and amazing

I absolutely loved this program. So much hands on experience and a great way to learn and also explore all of Belize. Loved every second of it. Not only was the course amazing, but the people are unforgettable. I wanna go back haha.

C.E.L.A Belize large animal winter course

I am forever grateful to have been granted the opportunity to embark in such an incredible program. I was able to live, learn, and make the best memories with phenomenal individuals and have fun!!

Absolutely amazing

Had the time of my life-- I made the most amazing memories and learned so much. Could not have been a better trip. Everyone here is so amazing and made the experience even better. This is truly something I will never forget!

Must do

This program taught me more about veterinary medicine than I have learned in any class. Everything is so hands on that you leave learning how to do so many things. I had never given injections, sutured, or castrated an animal before and I left knowing how to do all those things. And you meet so many people who are just as passionate as you are about veterinary medicine. This is literally the most wonderful experience I have ever had. You learn so much and meet so many people, this course made me fall in love with Belize. And if that is not enough, you leave with a huge network of people from Belize and all over the United States that are always willing to help and answer questions. But, just some advice, make sure to ask questions about credit transfer because Cynthia never gave anyone information on forms to fill out and the steps to take. So a few girls took the course and spent the money only to find out they could not get any credits.