Health Belief & Ethnomedicine: Traditional Healing in Belize
CELA Belize Header Image CELA Belize Header Image

Health Belief & Ethnomedicine: Traditional Healing in Belize

Connected with healers, farmers and nature

My goals for this field school in Traditional Healing and Medical Anthropology were to learn more about my mind, body, spirituality, and emotionality. I definitely achieved those goals! I was able to remember plants through repetition and practical involvement. The course provided so much activity from canoeing to swimming to walking through the forest. I spiritually connected to healers and my group during ceremonies and just immersing in the environment. I learned a lot emotionally from one of the teachers on the trip that taught about ideating close to center. This is great advice not only for traveling but in everyday life. St. Herman's cave, seeing howler monkeys and staying at Aurora Garcia Saqui's was one of my favorite parts. Healthy food and open-minded people abound!

Jam-packed curriculum for the open-minded

The Health Belief and Ethnomedicine course provided me with a new experience with people from unique backgrounds and knowledge. In the short time that our group was together, we formed a strong bond that cultivated great conversation helped us break out of our comfort zone and try new things. The intense syllabus definitely kept us moving, but it was all worth it to see all the different sites we visited.

Health, belief and ethnomedicine review

The program was a pretty eye-opening experience. As my first true abroad experience, it was all pretty humbling. It was fantastic to learn about the great range of plants and listen to the healer's stories, and learn about their wealth of knowledge. And Belize is just a beautiful country. I'm glad I got to travel around and see all the diversity it possesses, in the cultures and landscape.

CELA-Ethnobotany

It was an amazing experience. It was just tough traveling so often and for staying at places for such a short amount of time. The course should be lengthened to at least a month. Moving around is very tiring and limits students to fully participate.

Health, Belief and Ethnobotany Belize

Overall, I really enjoyed my journey in Belize because as I was meeting a variety of people from different cultures I was also learning about the history of myriad ethnic groups and the medicinal uses of plants. It's fascinating to notice that most of these plants can be prepared in your food. Therefore, it is right that our health originates from our diet. I can say that I learned about 25 plant species in 1 week! That is usually really hard to do when you are at school reading a book and trying to memorize facts and understand the overall concepts. However, this information really sticks to you because you learn it through emotions and experiences at each event. Its true when they say that you can forget what people say but you can never forget how something or something makes you feel. The people here are so welcoming and sweet! I feel like I have a family here and one day I plan to come back so I can see them again. Also, the food is really amazing and it is very nutritious!

Ethnobotany

This course was an amazing experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in plants or alternative medicine. The things I learned could not be taught in a classroom; you have to experience it.