CEA Study Abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina
CEA Study Abroad Header Image CEA Study Abroad Header Image

CEA Study Abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Put in the effort for a wonderful experience

I loved my time in Buenos Aires. Truly, this is a city that never sleeps! The locals are always out and they are always willing to talk to an American. I enjoyed my time in Buenos Aires, but I enjoyed it because I actively sought out new opportunities. In addition to taking courses at the CEA center, I did volunteer work and found two part-time internships. Unfortunately, I had to find these volunteer and intern opportunities because I did not think the coursework at the CEA Center in Buenos Aires was too rigorous. For the spring of 2018, CEA only offered 2 courses in Spanish. I took those 2 courses and the rest of my classes were in English. Since these professors are all native Spanish speakers, the courses taught in Spanish had interesting lectures and homework assignments; however, the courses taught in English were rather dull. It seemed as if these professors would have been more comfortable teaching in their native tongue.

Even if the academic component for each course was simple, students can truly make this study abroad experience their own if they find ways to take advantage of their free time. I volunteered and had an internship. Other students tried to do the same too. One of my friends that studies biology volunteered in a science lab. Another friend that studies business interned for a consulting firm. The students that seemed to have the most positive experiences were the ones that made new opportunities from their time in Buenos Aires. Unfortunately, we had to find these opportunities on our own. The CEA Staff did not have any type of recommendations for volunteer or intern opportunities. Still, I loved the CEA Staff. I enjoyed socializing with them and it did feel like they honestly cared about what was going on in my life abroad.

I loved my time in Buenos Aires and I loved the CEA Staff here. But, I think if I were in a different city or I did not take advantage of my free time, I would not have had as enjoyable of an experience.

• CEA responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Hi Elena! Your feedback has been shared with our Phoenix based team, and we will be offering Spring internships in Buenos Aires starting in 2019. Your enthusiasm and proactive approach to creating a memorable experience abroad will inspire other students to embrace new languages and cultures. Thank you for taking the time to share. - CEA

The classes enhance the living experience

Buenos Aires is a city that has something for everyone. There're tons of museums and parks that are cheap if not free; there are numerous sporting events to attend like fútbol and polo matches; there seems to be some sort of speciality market or food festival every single weekend, plus there is something going on every night of the week until all hours of the morning.

The classes through the CEA Buenos Aires program capitalize on the amazingness of the city they're located in. My classes had immersion components where we would get go out into the city and experience the things we were learning about in class. In my History of Argentine Tango class, we went to a Milonga (a tango club) and learned how to dance tango. In my International Marketing class we observed how international brands adapted to the Argentine market and in my Culture & Civilization class we would frequently visit museums related to the class's topics.

The classes heightened my appreciation for the city I was living in.

Adjusting and experiencing

I came to Buenos Aires excited but emotionally unprepared, as the city is huge, dense, and busy at all times. I struggled in the beginning with adjusting to this constant commotion, and with the language barrier. CEA staff were very helpful and enthusiastic about their supporting us, which I am very grateful for. My host mother has been so kind, and her place is comforting to come back to after classes during the week, with her beautiful terrace full of plants and her friendly pets to cuddle with. I improved a lot in my Spanish through daily conversation with my host mom, and living in Buenos Aires got easier. I found my places to go for comfort, and I focused more on the positive aspects than my homesickness. CEA took us on an amazing array of excursions, gave us informative tours, and immersed us in this rich culture through class field trips. I have learned much about Argentina and the Porteños (people of Buenos Aires), as well as myself.

An experience of a lifetime

I am so glad that I studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina in the spring semester of 2012. I met students from all over the USA, so that in itself provided me with an enriching cultural experience. I lived with about 20 other students in a residencia. This was a women's home, and there we were provided with traditional Argentine meals, and cultural emersion experiences (e.g., mate and Argentine pastries), as well as an opportunity to converse with this woman, Elda. Elda did not know any English, so speaking to her gave us an opportunity to practice our Spanish with a native. We would set aside nights to only speak in Spanish at dinner to ensure that Elda felt a part of the conversation. She really showed that she cared for each of us as if we were her own children. The classes in this program were taught well, and gave me an opportunity to learn about areas of study which I had never learned about. For example, I was fortunate enough to take a food and wine class during which we learned all about the food and wine of Argentina. We were actually able to try this food and wine, which made the experience so much more meaningful. Through other classes, I learned about the history of Argentina, which I had never knew. The program also provided an opportunity for the students to go on trips (i.e., a tour around Buenos Aires, a trip to Tigre, Uruguay, and a trip to Iguazu). These trips were a lot of fun, but also educational, since we were with natives of Argentina. I also had the opportunity to travel to other parts of Argentina and Chile with other students on our own which was a lot of fun as well. I would recommend this study abroad program to anyone who is looking for a meaningful, enriching, and fun experience.

Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires was an beautiful city and the CEA staff located in Buenos Aires were incredible. Pamela (one of the CEA staff) picked me up from he airport even after my flight was delayed a few hours, and she brought me to my home stay to make sure I met my host family and I was comfortable. They were always planning excursions throughout the city and we went on a few trips throughout Argentina. They wanted to make sure you were comfortable in the city and were always there to help and teach the students about Argentina's history and culture.

This program changed my life, and worth every it in every way possible!

CEA-Buenos Aires was an amazing experience. I loved the culture and the city so much. There were so many rich cultural traditions to be immersed in, and the people were very welcoming. If I could go back to Buenos Aires right now I totally would. CEA was great, and the onsite staff were also amazing. I am still in contact with some of them today, and I am still in contact with my host mom. Buenos Aires will forever be in my heart, and I highly recommend CEA!