CEA Study Abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France
CEA Study Abroad Header Image CEA Study Abroad Header Image

CEA Study Abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France

My experience allowed me to rethink my personal philosophies

Living in Aix en Provence for four months allowed me to grow and learn far more than I could have hoped for. Southern France has an inviting culture full of relaxation and enjoyment of each passing moment. The days were often full of sunshine allowing for endless exploration of the charming provencal town. I was so happy experimenting with new foods, visiting parks and cafes, meeting the locals and going to class. My experience was about being in the present moment, being here now, and not always being so caught up with the past or future. This program was beyond amazing and let me live my best life, I highly recommend it.

• CEA responded to this review June 27, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Julia, we’re so glad you explored Aix-en-Provence to the fullest. Thanks for sharing your experience and best of luck for your future! - CEA

Wouldn't Change a Thing

This past summer, I studied abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France for six weeks. I lived in a homestay with a divorced mother and her 20 year old daughter. They spoke just a few words of English. Shortly after landing in France, I was welcomed by Alexia and her mom, Karen. They were so warm and welcoming and made me feel at home which is exactly what I needed since I was 4,000 miles away from home and everything I knew for the very first time. My first night in Aix was very overwhelming and kind of rough but I felt a million times better less than 24 hours later, meeting the CEA staff. Throughout the six weeks, I knew there was always someone to talk to in the CEA office, which was conveniently located just around the corner from school. I would completely recommend CEA to someone who is interested in studying abroad. In addition to the exceptional staff, they also offered several excursions that other programs did not have. We had an all day excursion in the medieval town of Les Baux de Provence and smaller activities in the city like wine tasting and soap making. We even had an amazing farewell dinner a few days before our program ended. Studying abroad with CEA was an amazing experience that I would recommend to everyone. I cannot imagine having gone abroad any other way!

• CEA responded to this review June 19, 2018 at 2:24 PM

Meghan, thank you for sharing such an honest and open recount of your experience studying abroad with us in Aix-en-Provence. We are happy to hear your homestay family helped to quickly alleviate the anxiety of being immersed in a completely different culture. - CEA

Worth It

I absolutely loved my time abroad. Of course, there are ups and downs; it is definitely a challenge, but everything was worth it. I have made friends that I still travel with, I learned more about myself and life in such unexpected ways, and I now have a new home. Aix is the perfect place to study abroad: it's close to the big city (easy travel access), close to the beach and other natural beauty, the culture is FANTASTIC, and the life in a small city is the best of both worlds. Aix has so much to do, while still being safe and easy to walk around in. You truly develop your own life there and it's magical. While being relatively small, you get immersed in the culture really well. Vivienne and Nancy are amazing guides and second mothers to everyone I studied with. My host mom and I still talk and I will never forget her delicious French dinners. I would never trade this experience for the world.

Wish I could bask in the Provencal sun while drinking wine and eating baguette and cheese again <3.

• CEA responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 11:15 AM

What a magical experience you’ve shared. Thank you! We love to hear stories about students that stay in touch with their homestay families. - CEA

Never too many croissants

Studying abroad in Aix was truly incredible. I have never had a semester filled with so much beauty before. From making lifelong friends, to having picnics in the park, to traveling nearly every weekend, to eating the most delicious and clean food - everything about my time in Aix was nothing short of breath taking.

CEA was a phenomenal program to go through. Their pre departure help was very informative and they were sure to email you with updates about where you should be with your application. Upon arriving in Aix, the staff there went above and beyond. They picked us up from the airport, gave us a scavenger hunt activity so we got to know the city, organized weekend bus excursions and their door was always open if we ever wanted to talk.

Some of my favorite memories though....
- hiking Mount St Victoire and realizing I have a fear of heights! LOL
- eating an enormous amount of croissants AND fresh veggies every day
- becoming buds with the coffee guy next to our school
- learning from some of the smartest professors I have ever had

Studying abroad is truly a once in a lifetime experience and something that you will never stop unpacking.

Best Experience of My Life

Studying abroad in Aix through CEA was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The CEA office was always so helpful and answered my many questions leading up to leaving for the program. Upon arrival and throughout the entirety of my semester, the staff and interns were extremely helpful and almost always available to answer every question. One of the CEA interns even accompanied me to a pharmacy to help me explain something about my medication when I needed help. There were tons of "free" (included) activities and frequent opportunities for awesome experiences. I would recommend this semester to everyone!

CEA Aix study abroad

-Challenging and varied courses all taught in French
-Various living options
-Great location, touristy but easy to get around
-Moderate climate: warm but always windy
-Program-sponsored events such as wine and cheese tastings, excursions, weekly café meetings
-Friendly and helpful administrative staff

CEA Aix en provence

This program has been absolutely incredible. There have been so many people that we’ve met, so many places we’ve seen, and so many things that we’ve experienced. Our program leaders are the sweetest people on the planet, and want nothing more than for us to feel comfortable and happy during our stay here. The school is so incredible, and I feel like I’m actually learning the language. The program with CEA is called, French Language and Culture. The program itself definitely lives up to the name. We have been on so many cultural excursions in France as well as a really cool trip to Barcelona! We meet great new people who teach us so many things about french culture (including delicious food) and french language. I love this program and I honestly believe that this was one of the best decisions in my life, and I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat.

The best decision of my life

I intended to study abroad in Paris during the Spring of 2016, however, due to the terrorist attacks in Paris that November, I switched last minute to Aix. The staff at CEA couldn't have been better in making sure everything was a smooth transition for me. As soon as I arrived, I knew that Aix was where I was meant to be. The on-site staff in Aix are the most wonderful people ever. They are so kind and helpful. They really care about each and every student, and they seek to make the experience something truly special for everyone. Whenever I needed something or even just needed advice, they were there for me. They helped to plan so many cultural experiences for us, and I know that I wouldn't have had the experiences I did if it were not for them planning excursions and cultural immersion things for us to do. I was able to meet French students through them, and they paired us up with a local business school where we would do language exchanges and attend events at their school. I have some of my best friends because of this program. I loved it so much in Aix that I am returning for a second time this summer to intern. When I emailed the women who run the program in Aix, they helped me every step of the way, even though I am technically not a student through their program. This was more than a study abroad opportunity, this was an opportunity of a lifetime that I hope everyone gets to experience.

The best time of my life

To start, I loved Nancy and Vivienne! They could not have been better at helping us and always making sure we were okay. I love Aix-en-Provence. If I could go back tomorrow, I would. I love the people, the culture, the warmth. Everything about my experience was what I expected and more from a study abroad program. The academics are good. I love Aix-Marseille. The professors were all enthusiastic and although their teaching methods are different from those of the U.S., that's what study abroad is for, to learn new methods and way of life. All in all, I loveddddddddd Aix and CEA. Loved it so much I'm hoping to go back to Aix-Marseille for Grad school! <3

Amazing Experience!

I did not think my study abroad experience would be better than the daydreams I had before I left, until I was abroad with CEA. Aix-en-Provence was amazing and magical place, but what really made me fall in love was the staff at CEA. They were the best people to have by my side while learning a new culture. From the flower markets to the parks, Aix is by far my favorite place in the world. I would never have thought there would have been people as caring and wonderful as Viv and Nancy. They are truly incredible people, and I am lucky to have had them by my side. Aix has everything at your fingertips from small boutiques to fantastic hikes. I would never trade my experience in Aix or with CEA for anything in the world.

Amazing!

Aix with CEA was so amazing... It was the perfect place to study abroad. Not a city, but a perfectly walkable and beautiful place. Cafes line the streets and people are so friendly. There are young people everywhere since it is a university town. I stayed with a host family which was great. So good for so many reasons--food, French, cozy home. CEA made it so much better too. If I could rate the staff 10+++ I would. They are like your second moms while you're in France. If you have the chance go with CEA to Aix... You won't regret it. When you come back to the US you'll be dreaming of it every day I can promise that! Go go go

Aix-ellent time

I was abroad in the Spring of 2015 and loved my time there so much! I wish I went for a whole year! The best part of this program specifically it really builds comradery between the other students in the same program and yourself. I've truly found friends for life! The living situation was ideal, woke up every morning, opened the window, and took in the fresh Provençal air. The weather and climate were ideal! Compared to the Northeast it was paradise with temperatures never dropping below freezing so it meant no snow! Plus there was hardly any rain so the sun was shining and it was warm almost every day. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who wants to go abroad, even if you don't know any French!

The greatest experience of my life

I had the best experience with CEA Aix-en-Provence. Vivienne and Nancy are knowledgable, fun, and welcoming. The town is beautiful, and I fell in love. Furthermore, the classes I took at Aix-Marseille University were wonderful. I learned a ton and would recommend this program to anyone.

My Semester in Aix

Being back in the US now for about two and a half months, I couldn't miss Aix more! I had the time of my life studying abroad in France. Between the friends I made, the food I ate, or the places I traveled I couldn't pick one thing as my favorite aspect. But it truly is a life changing experience and you couldn't find a better home away from home than Aix or CEA. The program directors, Vivienne and Nancy, were beyond helpful and served almost as surrogate parents for my time away from home. And Aix is the perfect place to get a small town vibe with the business of a major city. I could go on and on about how much I loved my semester abroad but the best thing I could say is go and make your own amazing memories! You won't regret it.

Fall semester in Aix

I had a wonderful semester. Though, of course, there are ups and downs of every abroad experience, I had far more ups than downs and the CEA staff went above and beyond to make the experience the best it could be. Aix is a beautiful town with so much to offer and they helped us get the most out of our time in Aix, around France and even throughout Europe. Would recommend 10/10!

I could not have chosen a better city than Aix!

Aix is an adorable little city nestled in the heart of Provence. There are always new streets and little stores to explore (and AMAZING places to eat at, too!). Vivienne and Nancy were so kind and truly care about all of the students, and they will always do what they can to help you! There were some great excursions for nearly every weekend of the program, so it was great to see other parts of France.
One of the best parts about Aix would definitely have to be the markets that flood the streets on different days each week, when one can find almost anything - from antique maps and posters to hand crafted pottery and jewelry. I would recommend studying abroad in Aix to anybody who asks me!

Experience of a Lifetime

Studying abroad will undoubtedly change your life, and France is the place to do it! Choosing France and specifically Aix was the best choice for cultural immersion and practicing French. I loved going for the fall semester especially because our group was a little smaller than the spring, so I got so much closer with my program buddies. From weekend trips to Rome to staying in Aix for the weekend and having a meal on the Cours Mirabeau, it was easily the best 17 weeks of my life. I wish I could go back and do it all again!

10/10 Would Recommend

My summer studying abroad in Aix-en-Provence was by far one of the best experiences I have had in my four years at college. The staff at CEA is incredible and the experiences they set up made the trip very immersive and engaging with the culture. Vivienne and Nancy are very personable and really care about the students in the program. Right away when we arrived, they had activities planned to immerse us in the French culture, get to know the others in our program, and get to know Aix. With so much to do, there was no time to feel homesick. Vivienne and Nancy also planned many excursions for us to go on to explore more of southern France, such as Pont du Gard, Avignon, Cassis, St. Tropez, La Ciotat, Nimes, and Monaco. They also planned many activities throughout the city of Aix and provided us a plethora of resources to set up excursions and activities on our own. The University is also amazing and has some of the best professors I have ever had, in any subject. They are very knowledgeable and experienced working with foreign students, so they are able to explain concepts and vocabulary and interact with students from all backgrounds to help them succeed. If I could, I would study abroad with this program for every semester, my experience was that amazing. In addition to traveling, we went to a wine tasting, a cheese tasting, hiked the Mont Sainte Victoire, practiced our impressionistic painting where Cezanne lived, toured an absinthe factory, rode horses through the mountains, and experienced so much more than I can put into words. If you are looking to have the time of your life, you should definitely choose to study abroad with CEA in Aix-en-Provence.

A wonderful city and a wonderful program

CEA is an absolutely wonderful organization that helped make the transition into studying abroad so much easier and comfortable. Vivienne, Nancy, and the rest of the CEA team are incredibly knowledgeable about Aix and France in general. They sincerely care about the students in the program and go above and beyond to help them with school matters or any road bumps that may come along the way. If you are having any reservations about the program or studying abroad, relax. CEA is here to give you a wonderful experience you'll never forget.

Culturally, academically, historically enriching and just plain enjoyment!

Spending 5 summer weeks in Aix changed my perspective on life and world travel. The beautiful, ancient buildings of this small, quaint, but modern, small city were a joy to take in and experience. The open air fruit and vegetable markets were great for shopping, not to mention vibrant and fun to explore. The ancient cathedrals and many museums and art and music venues all within walking distance from my student apartment. The excursions on the weekends with the eccentric, "George", exploring the beautiful sights of Provence, I will never forget. And swimming in the neon blue Mediterranean Sea for the first time was a religious experience! I highly recommend Aix if you want to experience and learn more about French culture, cuisine, art, nature, people, cafes and ancient architecture. Don't forget to bring your brightest smile ~ Bon Voyage!!

The South of France is always a good idea

I absolutely loved my time in Aix. I can't express how much I appreciated the smallness of the town and program. It allowed me to have a great group of 25 or so people to get together with and always had a buddy to travel with! It's so easy to navigate and travel from. Going out at night is easy because of the cheap wine and only 10-15 minute walk to and from bar street from where I lived. I recommend here over Paris for a good cultural immersion and wonderful sunny weather! I miss the fresh produce from the farmers markets every morning and the always helpful advisors! GO TO AIX!!

The Best Five Months of My Life

I studied in this charming city during the Spring semester of 2015. Not only did CEA do a wonderful job at placing me with an INCREDIBLE home-stay family who bettered my French and made me delicious meals everyday, but they also brought us on some amazing trips around the south of France. From an all payed weekend trip to Nice and Monaco to horseback riding on the beach, this program satisfied every hope I had for my semester abroad. Aix is also adorned with so many beautiful restaurants and boutiques and has a great atmosphere for students. I plan on returning this year on vacation so I can reminisce on the memories I made there as well as make new ones. It is certainly a place you will want to return to after your study abroad is over.

I loved studying abroad on Aix!

Studying abroad in Aix was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It was a program of almost 4 months that I did in the fall of 2014. Studying with CEA was a perfect choice because they pay so much attention to each student and help out so much. Everything except for my flight and daily spending money was included so I didn't really have to worry about anything. The program director in France was always there for us and interacted with us so much and my homestay family was great. If I ever needed help from someone back in the states, I always had a contact. Ultimately, my experience was amazing and I would go again in a heartbeat!

Great Program, Best Semester Ever!!!

My semester abroad in Aix en Provence with CEA was wonderful. Vivienne, the program director is so helpful, and made the semester so much fun. I made some of the best friends of my life and best memories. Aix is a cute little French town, situated perfectly. I'd recommend!

Come to Aix!

I had a great experience here. The Aix CEA staff are the nicest and most welcoming people. They really care about you. IAU is a good university, the staff is caring but make sure you are on top of your work, if not you can get behind really fast. We did may things with CEA from tasting frog legs, to traveling to an Absinthe Factory to learn about how it is made and the history. We had wine tastings and they even had a Thanksgiving dinner for us, which was beyond fun. If you are looking for a study abroad choose Aix en Provence! You will have a great experience and learn more about yourself then thought possible.