Semester in India, explore the Northern Plains and Himalayas
Carpe Diem Education Header Image Carpe Diem Education Header Image

Semester in India, explore the Northern Plains and Himalayas

Carpe Diem India - The Experience of a Lifetime!

I traveled to India with Carpe Diem Education in the fall of 2011, and what a wonderful experience it was! I appreciated the scope of our travel - we got to see many different cities throughout the country, as we never spent more than a week in one place. The leaders were incredibly street-smart and savvy, and made me feel completely safe in their care. I appreciated the small group dynamic and the intimate friendships that developed between the members of our India cohort. We also had an excellent balance of activities - from trekking in the Himalayas, to attending a week-long retreat at a yoga ashram, to taking Hindi classes and volunteering at an orphanage in Calcutta, I felt as though we really experienced such a range of what the country had to offer, doing whatever felt culturally relevant to our location. I learned so much about being an independent traveler from Carpe Diem, and felt enabled to travel internationally on my own over the next few years. All in all, this was a life-changing opportunity and one that I am still grateful for several years later.

Thank you CDE for teaching me to recognize and appreciate the privileges I have, to be patient and live in the moment, to stay humble, and that one person can truly make a difference. These are lessons that have stayed with me the past two years since my India semester, and will continue to stay with me for the rest of my life.

More than non-regrettable

I have yet to provide a review for my experience with CDE because it feels like one of those things that cannot really be articulated - like when a moment is so sweet that your camera could never really do it justice. Regardless of these limitations, CDE definitely deserves a good one.

It's funny because I can so clearly remember looking through the reviews for the India program, and CDE in general on this website before I chose to participate. And here I am now, writing my own. So what was it that I was looking for in the reviews? What did I want to know? Would this actually be as exciting, adventurous and rewarding as it sounds? What happens if the food is too spicy for me to eat? Will I be sleeping for three months on cold ashram floors? Will I become a chai connoisseur? Will I meet a guru? Will I become enlightened? How long will my armpit hair be when I come back? Do only weird people do this sort of program?

I won't provide the answers to these questions, because thats the beauty of experiencing this adventure for yourself. But I can promise you, this adventure is more than non-regrettable - it will change your life.

*here's some photos that can't quite do these sweet moments justice

American Gap Association