Study and Intern with the CAPA Dublin Program
CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image

Study and Intern with the CAPA Dublin Program

Culturally integrative experience which fostered growth and independence

The academic experience was exactly what I was looking for in a study abroad program: it was challenging to the extent that it kept me interested and engaged, but lenient enough that it allowed me to explore my international city, learn from experience, and become more independent in the process.The administrative and organizational CAPA staff in Dublin were phenomenal. Not only did they provide a platform of social and emotional support, but were extremely engaged in our academic and experiential lives. Any issue I had at all, they were easily and readily accessible and always eager to help.I decided to partake in an internship while I was abroad, and thus I felt extremely integrated in the local community and culture. My bosses and colleagues were all Irish and we were heavily immersed in the Irish working class community, as well as the youth community. In terms of housing and living. At times it did feel a l little isolated being on a university campus, however, a majority of the students living on campus were international thus it was easy to meet new people not in the program and build those connections. Dublin felt like an extremely safe city. We were new to the city and though it took us a couple weeks to navigate the city and the public transportation system, during this process of navigation all members of the public were so helpful in directing you to the right way, or recommending places to eat/drink/tour/see. The sense of community in Dublin is astounding and whether you are from Ireland or not, they always make a point to make you feel included as well as safe. Dublin is a city and thus I would not recommend anything reckless or dangerous, and since it is a city, to simply use common sense, however, I did not once feel like I was in danger in any sort of way. CAPA is unique in that it allows you to use an internship as a form of experiential learning, an extremely important aspect of education in my opinion. I loved feeling connected to the community, and simply living in Ireland. I truly fell in love with the city and wish I could go back and spend another year there.

I love Dublin with all my heart

The classes were very informative and I learned a lot that I would not have experienced in the United States. The CAPA Dublin staff are amazing and very helpful with every aspect of the study abroad experience. I felt as though I was one of the locals and felt very immersed into Irish culture. I interacted with Irish locals daily through my internship and classes. CAPA Dublin offered me so many amazing opportunities that I will be forever grateful for. I learned so much through my internship and classes. Met so many great people and visited the most incredible places.

An unforgettable experience

My time in Dublin was the best of my life. I met friends that I consider to be family now and still keep in touch with. It was a growing experience and I loved every second of it. The CAPA staff was beyond helpful in making us feel safe and comfortable. I NEVER felt unsafe in Dublin. I really learned a lot about Irish history, and the internship component of the trip really made me culturally aware and it is a experience that I feel will really set me apart from others when applying for jobs.

The semester that changed my life

As a sophomore, I was both the youngest in age and academically in my semester in Dublin. Instead of being intimidated, I took it as a moment to grow. I was lucky to be surrounded by a team as wonderful as CAPA with other CAPA students who were warm, welcoming, kind, funny, and overall easy to love. CAPA does roommate matching, and they were spot on with my match. We got along very well, and it made sharing a room much easier. Dublin was the perfect city to be in. It was a big city with a very small town feel; we ran into other CAPA students just wandering around the city somedays. I think about the views all the time and can't wait to go back.
School was not particularly challenging her, but it was exactly what I thought college should be. Everything I learned in our Irish history course and Internship seminar was new to me. Our assignments were more about introspection while using the material we learned than it was just spouting information, and I truly know it helped me grow as a person. These CAPA courses have affected my choices for courses at home, and I am happy to have taken them.
CAPA is unique in that it guarantees an internship. My placement was at a non-profit. I had never done social media pages before, but I am happy to get to say that I learned quickly. I made connections with the founders and my supervisor that I still have today. We always joked that they were my Irish grandparents, and I don't think that's a feeling that has happened so quickly for me. They invited my family into their home when they visited, multiple times I was able to go while I was there and I got to meet their entire family (almost, some of their kids live in Canada). These people from my internship and from my CAPA courses on campus mean the world to me, and I cannot say thank you enough to CAPA for helping bring them into my life.

Running through memories

I cannot tell you how much CAPA has made this a beautiful experience. I look back all the time through my photos and sort of wonder how it all got swept up so fast. To the people who help guide us and to the places we get to visit, CAPA is there every step of the way to let you know you can do this, and that being abroad is way more fun than you can ever dream of.
I had the unique opportunity of working right where I went to school which was insane, and it was so much nicer to not have to commute and use up the bus fare. I was able to get to know and make friends with everyone in the admissions department, and was always there to dip a hand into new projects which were always fun and exciting. I was able to make classes, and internship, and a 3 day weekend possible and I have CAPA to thank for that.

I went home

While abroad, most of my time was spent interning back and forth between two theatres in Dublin, so I only had one class each week. We met Tuesday evenings for about an hour and a half. The class material was enlightening and engaging, but not difficult in nature. The first few weeks we focused on learning about the Irish culture/workplace, and then the class became a general internship course. "Homework" assignments would usually consist of self-reflection papers, watching a video and writing a response, creating a powerpoint, etc. We had one big group presentation, and one out of class mock interview. The workload was absolutely doable, but some of the assignments seemed unnecessary a couple of times.

The CAPA administrators in Dublin were incredible! From our day of arrival to our departure, they were always readily available to answer our questions and give dining/shopping/touring suggestions. They were very responsive to their emails and easily approachable in person. There were attacks in Europe during my time abroad this summer, and the CAPA team handled it like pros and made sure that everyone checked in and was safe. I know that we were in good hands.

I lived at Lad Lane Apartments. CAPA utilized many different housing areas for their students in Dublin, and this was mine. The staff were always so kind and ready to assist, so I will give them credit for that. However, it took almost two weeks to get my own key for the flat (I relied on my flatmates to always be around to let me in) and the wifi was not always reliable. The shower head didn't have a place to hook into the wall, so you had to hold it the entire time you were bathing. The flats were in a fairly good area, though. I never really felt unsafe if I was walking around alone, and it was within walking distance of a grocery store, pharmacy, several great pubs, and a couple American fast food chain restaurants. I was happy to come home to my charming little flat at the end of the day.

In regards to dining, I like to call my time abroad, "The Fish and Chips Tour of Ireland". The food was absolutely incredible, and yes, I indulged in so many fish and chips. Whenever I missed home, there was a Burger King right by my flat, so I went there a few times. The Irish are big fans of Thai food, so I tried some Thai a few times and it was great. But the traditional pubs were my favorite, by far. The food was amazing, the atmosphere was cozy and musical, and there was never an unfriendly face.

It did not take me very long to integrate myself with the Irish culture. My ancestry is heavily Irish and I was so incredibly excited about this study abroad experience, that I wasted no time thrusting myself into the Dublin scene. I frequented pubs to eat and listen to music, I toured the city and the rest of the country during every spare moment I had, and made friends with my coworkers. I made sure to spend just as much time alone and traveling as I did traveling with other people, because I learn best if I am on my own. I also made it a point to hang out with more Irish people than Americans, and it shows. I quickly picked up on the behaviors, the way that they talk and express themselves, etc. I still catch myself saying that, "I'm grand". I admire their culture for many things, but above all else, the Irish are friendly and accepting. I miss it so much.

I had no health emergencies during my time abroad. I know that during my second weekend in town I got what I call the "traveler's sickness": sore throat, tired, congestion, etc. It passed within 24 hours. I had a slightly sore throat at one point a few weeks later, but it was easily remedied with cough drops and tea. I
am unaware of any big health emergencies that occurred with other students in the program, but CAPA did a great job of making sure we knew where to get medical help if we needed it, where the pharmacies were and what resources they provided, and how to contact them if something happened.

I never felt unsafe once in Dublin. The people there were all so kind, hospitable, and carefree. Everybody jay-walked, and everybody helped strangers if they needed directions. Even when I got lost on my third day in town, I did not feel unsafe (just very turned around). I still wouldn't advise women to walk around alone at night, and always use good discretion since Ireland has a definite alcohol culture. But I never felt terribly unsafe in our city.

Rollins did well when it came to prepping me to go abroad. They sent plenty of information out, held one-on-one meetings, and we had a pre-departure orientation where our Campus CAPA Ambassador came and talked to us about her experience in Dublin. All of this, plus a LOT of personal research and prep, assured me that I was ready to go.

I worked mornings-early afternoon at Bewley's Cafe Theatre, located in Dublin City Centre. I prepped the theatre space for shows, folded playbills, seated guests, flyered around city, helped with administrative work, and guest relations.

I worked late afternoons-evenings at The Viking Theatre at Sheds, located in Clontarf (a northern part of Dublin city). I did a lot of marketing and publicity work. I flyered, organized lists of groups to reach out to for promotions, managed social media accounts, designed promo emails, etc.

Go out and sit in a pub and just talk to people. Seriously. I made plenty of friends in my workplace and that was a great base. But I made so many friends just by being friendly and having conversations with the people.

As long as we were respectful, they reciprocated. Most of the Irish people that I met loved Americans and were as fascinated by us as we were by them.

When I wasn't walking then I was taking the bus. It got me most everywhere that I went. I took the train a couple of times in town if I wanted to go to the most northern or southern parts of town. I only cabbed if I had to. Using the bus was the most convenient, and after getting used to it, it proved most effective.

I just appreciate people so much more. It is so important to appreciate the differences in people and this experience reminded me of that. At the end of the day, we're all just people. I wouldn't change a single thing about my time abroad. The weekly class got annoying at times, but my internships were eye-opening and the out of class travel was life-changing. In a way, I found myself.

Dublin: My greatest adventure

I chose to study abroad in Dublin, Ireland. It was the best decision I could have made.

During my time abroad I was an intern at a social media analysis company. The experience was enriching and positive; never a dull moment. I was able to tap into my major - Journalism, use innovation to suggest ideas, present content I researched, and pitch ideas to the young team. Overall, I am so glad I did my internship abroad - nothing can compare.

Some highlights from my experience abroad are travel, internship, and friendship. All three of those aspects of my experience abroad helped shape who I am and instilled me with new perspectives on the world and myself; the world is a much bigger place than we realize, but that is the beauty of study abroad. You get to see it from your own eyes and perspectives and make connections around the globe.

Four months in Dublin with a lifetime impact

Studying abroad with CAPA Dublin will always be one of the best decisions I have made in my life. From the Irish people, to the cultural immersion, to the spectacular trips and experiences I had, I truly had the greatest semester of my college career. The program advisors have an office on campus and are truly invested in each CAPA student's life, which made literally a world of difference whenever I had questions or concerns. I truly feel now that Dublin will always have a part of me living there.

CAPA Dublin: An experience of a lifetime

I studied abroad with CAPA in spring 2016 and it was a life changing experience. Between both studying and interning in Dublin, I was fully immersed in Irish culture in every way possible. I got to explore a career path that I now plan to pursue after graduation and made so many connections that will serve me well in the future. The smaller size of the program in comparison to others that my friends have completed allowed everyone to get to know each other really well and experience the country together. I made lifelong friends who I still speak to regularly. Dublin truly became my home and I cannot be more grateful for all of the opportunities I had while there as well as all of the opportunities I have gotten through CAPA after my return home. I cannot speak highly enough of this program!!

A Life Changing Experience in Dublin

I have never felt more at home than I did in Ireland, the people are by far the nicest I've ever met (and I live in the south, where everyone is polite), the culture was amazing and my study abroad program was so helpful and attentive to my needs. CAPA provides transportation passes for the bus which where a huge help when I needed to get across town quickly for a class field trip or an appointment. You attend Griffith college where a large portion of the student body are study abroad, giving you the chance to meet people from all over the world including, Norway, Hong Kong, France and Germany. We lived on campus in the apartments which gave us the chance to get to know local Irish students as well as other study abroad students living around us. I have never felt more safe in a city than I did in Dublin and can contribute a lot of that to all of the tips and speakers CAPA provided to inform us on how to stay safe.
Over all I would not trade this experience for anything and am so thankful that I had this wonderful and life changing opportunity through CAPA Study Abroad.

Study and Intern In Dublin

My overall experience with CAPA was amazing. The program offered support throughout the entire experience (even while applying). Dublin is an amazing city and CAPA allows its students the opportunity to explore it by giving students bus passes and encouraging our interacting with the culture--as the administration in Dublin are Irish, this is easy to do. They also offer great internship placement and if a student is not satisfied with their placement, then they will help settle that. There are also program inclusion trips that give us the opportunity to explore other areas of the country outside of Dublin, such as Belfast or Cliffs of Moher.

CAPA was the highlight of my life

I owe all who I am today to CAPA. Without them, I wouldn't have had two other incredible internships after. Dress for Success Dublin was more than welcoming to me. They are the sweetest people. I never felt afraid or homesick while I was away, but I'm certainly homesick for Dublin now that I'm back. What a place.

Dublin: My home away from home

I would definitely recommend Dublin as a study abroad location! Dublin is a great city filled with great diversity, but still rich in Irish history and culture. The people in Ireland are truly kind and willing to help. The Irish are very proud of their country and love to welcome people to experience the country they are so proud of. Dublin is an easy city to adapt to because it is so easy to get around. Within no time, I was able to feel comfortable in Dublin and call it home. There is so much to learn about Dublin and the country as a whole. There are always places to visit or see in Dublin, during free time. Dublin is a rich, lively city that took my heart very quickly.

CAPA as a program is great! You have on campus support and advisors to help you pre and post semester abroad. CAPA has everything very organized and you can count on them for help! Having the help and support when in a new country really gives peace of mind.

STUDY ABROAD, ITS AWESOME! (Especially in Ireland :] )

Studying and Working In Dublin Was The Best Decision Of My Life!!!!!

Pros-
Great experience working and taking classes abroad
CAPA faculty are willing to help you with anything
Friendly people
Making lifelong friends from around the world
Easy to travel around the country using public transportation
Great food from around the world
Everyone is passionate about sports

Cons-
Living area was small (Dorms)

Already Itching To Go Back

Dublin is a fantastic place to study abroad, especially for Americans. I experienced almost no culture shock, making the transition so much easier. The city is incredibly easy to get around and you can find everything you need (from groceries to nightlife) in the city center. The people are so friendly and welcoming, too! Between the host school, Griffith College, and CAPA, we had everything we could possibly need while being so far from home. Honestly, Dublin has become a second home to me. I miss the places I used to hang out at and the atmosphere of the city. I would go back in a heartbeat and I encourage anyone thinking of study abroad to consider Dublin.

The most amazing 4 months of my entire life

Studying abroad was the best decision I could have made. I chose CAPA because of the opportunity to not only study abroad, but to also be guaranteed an internship abroad. By interning abroad I learned so much about the Irish work style and I learned so much about Marketing and PR, my intended profession after graduation. Studying abroad allowed me to mature in ways that would not have come had I not gone abroad. I am so much more confident and outgoing now that I have travelled all over the world, and I owe CAPA for that.

Dublin is my home

Dublin as one of my favorite places I ever stayed for an extended amount of time. Everyone was so nice to me and I felt very at home. There was plenty to do at night and I was given an internship which was very beneficial for my resume. The program is amazing, and I have friends for life. I highly recommend it.

Opportunity of a lifetime

My educational experience surpassed my expectations. I learned more about the city of Dublin than I imagined I would. I also got hands on experience interning at a publishing company. My internship provided me with experiences that I would not have gotten working back in the United States. The work culture in Dublin relies heavily on independence of the employee so I was given more responsibility than most interns would expect to get. The administration of CAPA worked exceptionally hard to make sure all students were in a safe environment and getting as much out of the experience as possible.I couldn't have asked for a better location to live in. We were a 15 minute walk from the city center. We were constantly trying new restaurants and were rarely unsatisfied. Grocery shopping is also much cheaper than it is in the United States so we were able to save money during the week by not eating out.
By the end of the 8 weeks I felt like part of the culture. Adjusting to living in a new city took some time and we definitely stood out as tourists at first. But, by the time I was ready to leave I felt confident that I could handle all social situations in this new environment
Of the entire two months I spent in Dublin I never felt unsafe. The citizens there were always
extremely kind and friendly. I felt comfortable walking through the city even during late hours.

My Irish Experience

I've always been interested in Ireland as a country, but when I started considering study abroad as an opportunity Dublin wasn't a city that even crossed my mind before I came across CAPA. I thought studying abroad meant moving to a country where everyone speaks a different language and lives a different lifestyle, and I was bracing myself to spend a year taking gen eds before trying my best to catch up on important courses in my senior year.

However, CAPA's Dublin program shockingly included every single course I needed to stay on track for the year, with a wide variety of business, marketing, writing and communications classes on offer. Likewise, I quickly realized that even though the Irish use the same words, learning how they communicate is almost as difficult as mastering a new language.

While I was initially disappointed by my internship placement in an on-campus office, since I'd been looking forward to getting out into the city of Dublin, it ended up being a great experience, allowing me to work alongside people from a variety of countries, and cater to students from around the world.

Whether you're interested in living in Ireland, or are just looking into study abroad in general, I highly recommend CAPA!

Growing and learning in Dublin

My study abroad experience with CAPA Dublin was really enlightening. I chose to attend the summer 2016 program, as I wasn’t able to go during a traditional semester. This was one of the best decisions I could have made for myself, as I was able to gain independence and confidence. When I arrived I was expecting there to be more direct guidance and help to get us settled. I was intimidated by having to navigate the city for myself. CAPA really allows their students to orient themselves in the city which I was grateful for in the long run. This forced me to step outside my comfort zone and get to know things on my own and with my peers. That being said, the CAPA staff is incredibly supportive if you reach out with any specific questions. For example, I got sick my second week in Dublin and the staff was quick and helpful in setting up an appointment for me and getting me directions.

Aside from personal growth, through this program I was able to learn a lot about Dublin and make some great friends. Going into the program I didn’t know anyone, but by the time I left I had made some wonderful connections with the CAPA team, my peers, and some locals! The relationships that I made while abroad allowed me to get to know people from different places and backgrounds. I also learned a lot about the city of Dublin through the Global Cities class. This class enabled us to learn about the city and then go out and see for ourselves what we were reading. Another great way I learned about the city was just by walking most places, it’s amazing the things you notice. The hands on learning style was also implemented through the internship class, as we were able to learn and then apply ourselves on site. My internship was with a yoga studio right down the street from Griffith College, and I had a great experience getting to know all of the wonderful people that were a part of the community.

My time in Dublin - working and learning in a global city

My time with CAPA in Dublin was amazing, I got the chance not only to study but also to work in a new country. The program courses take place at Griffith College, a very small school about a 20min walk (less than 10min bus ride) from city center. The school itself is in the process of upgrading and expanding which was much needed and nice to see. The on-campus apartments where most of the program's students lived were quite nice, they each held four people in two well-sized double rooms with two TINY bathrooms. The kitchen was a nice size but did not have an oven only a stove top, which was easy enough to get used to. The courses that CAPA itself offers (in addition to the full selection of Griffith courses) were great classes that really immersed you in the culture and feel of Ireland. I would suggest that everyone going to this program takes the Global Cities course because it provides the unique experience of learning in the classroom as well as having classes in coffee shops and walking around the city. My internship was at a preschool and I could not have had a better placement; I want to work as a psychologist in a school setting and they matched me to a job perfectly. Overall CAPA is a great program in a beautiful and fast-growing city, Dublin is changing more and more every day and I would suggest it for any student who is looking for city life in a more laid-back environment. As an example, the feel and lifestyle of Dublin is very similar to that of Boston, Massachusetts USA.

Dublin, my second home

Every single person from CAPA, including the professors, were really into the material and made an effort to engage with the students. Some days the lecture will start off in a local coffee shop and will work its way out to the city center of Dublin.
My internship experience was definitely my favorite part. I learned so much more than I had expected and I have so much to show in my portfolio now.
The people of Ireland are like no other! They are friendly and have a great sense of humor.

Studying abroad in Dublin is best decision I've made as an adult

I could not have chosen a more perfect place, program, or placement. Dublin was the absolute perfect city. I loved immersing myself in the rich history and urban setting. In all honesty, I fell in love with Dublin. I have no regrets on choosing Dublin as my destination. Further, I can't imagine studying abroad without CAPA. If I wasn't a senior I would try to go back or to another CAPA location. I am not sure I could afford it again, but I would try to make it happen - I loved working with them. Finally, my internship placement was the highlight of my study abroad experience. I was very fortunate to work with a leading advertising agency in the heart of Dublin's business district. My internship has already paid off greatly - I have received two job offers.

Dublin, Fair City

I studied abroad in Dublin during Spring 2015 with CAPA and loved it! The courses I took through the program really added to my immersion in the Irish culture as I was able to get a taste of the language, explore and analyze Dublin, learn about the country's history, and view numerous Irish films. The CAPA staff were extremely helpful and always ready to listen and make the experience enjoyable. Ireland is an amazing country and I loved living and learning there for four months.

Time of My Life in Dublin

I have absolutely no regrets about my time in Dublin! CAPA was always a very helpful program, and the staff was easy to contact whenever I needed help, advice, or just a friendly face. Ireland is an extremely friendly and welcoming city, and I had no time to feel homesick at all. It is very easy to navigate this city, with a straightforward bus system and average-priced taxis. I had some great conversations with the taxi drivers! My favorite part of this program was the internship component. I had really great coworkers who helped me get used to their system, and learn about the Irish workplace. This experience not only taught me many more life skills, but will look great to future employers. Dublin is a little more on the expensive side, but very manageable if you keep a weekly budget. If I had to go back, I would definitely choose CAPA again.