Water & Sanitation Projects with BLUE Missions
BLUE Missions Header Image BLUE Missions Header Image

Water & Sanitation Projects with BLUE Missions

An impactful trip

After going on my first trip I knew I had to go on another one. And I was not disappointed in doing just that. My secound trip I would say was even better than the first and I would recommend any person not sure about going on a secound trip to go without hesitation. Truly it is something you do only a few times in a lifetime and is well worth the time and cost.

BLUE Summer Trip

Not only was I motivated to work and aid the Dominican locals due to an exceptional atmosphere our group as a whole possessed, I was also inspired by this experience to continue this work and charity even after the trip. I have witnessed that this selflessness can take forms in various ways, and BLUE missions has helped me to not only recognize these circumstances, but to act upon them. For this, BLUE has my highest recommendation.

BLUE Missions trip

The BLUE Missions Trip was probably one of the most eye opening experiences I've lived. I saw how many people lived in these poor communities in the Dominican Republic and was able to experience their reality for ten days. The satisfaction after we finished the mission trip is indescribable and we formed a very strong bond with the community for the little time we stayed. The people there treated us as part of their family, offered us everything they had despite just meeting them. The BLUE Missions team was well organized and prepared for our stay in the campo. They helped our group of about 20 high school students construct more than 15 latrines. I definitely want to come back on another trip and help many more communities that are living in poverty.

Life-changing

I definitely would go again. It was the best thing I've ever experienced and so eye-opening that I appreciate everything I own and realize there's so much one can do in this world to help. Little by little, we change the lives of people who don't have the simplest things in the campo. I can't wait to go back again next year and hopefully become a mentor!!

Blue Missions review

This was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever been through. I learned something new about myself and about life every say. I love talking about my trip to others and I think about its impact on my life every day. No words can describe how eye opening this experience was for me. I for sure want to return next year. I am so very grateful for getting the opportunity to go on this excursion!! :)

Arroyo Sanbana mission

Great Experience. Recommend to anyone who is looking at the program. If you are up for a serious program with an immediate impact you should look at Blue. Everyone was super cool and got to interact with the locals a ton.

Life changing

My trip to las rosas was eye opening and life changing, the living circumstances were below average and the smiles they kept were inspiring. I'd love to go back and experience it again, meet the campesinos and learn and grow more.

OLLA trip 6

For me this mission trip was the best experience i have ever been through. It opened my eyes to the true poverty that there is around the world and how much we can do to make a difference for these families. It really put life in perspective for me and allowed to to realize how blessed i truly am, to see the campesinos full of so much love and happiness with the bare minimum really moved me. I will most definitely go and continue to go on many more Blue Mission trips.

Open high school #4

Absolutely fantastic experience overall I really enjoyed the atmosphere that was shown there, the leaders of the trip were very good at instructing us on what to do, I loved the whole live in the moment aspect of it where there was no schedules to follow and we did not know what was happening most of the time.

This experience is life changing

I never thought spending 9 days in a third world country would teach me so much. I learned a lot about true happiness and values. I made memories and met new people who have impacted my life forever. This was such a rewarding experience and through giving to the people of this community I was able to gain so much. I woke up every day excited to get to work and spend time with the campesinos. Not only did I learn from the people who lived in the community but also from my leaders. They taught me about living in the moment and showed me how lucky I am to be there. It was an amazing experience that I can't wait to do again

9 days in Guanabano

On June 2nd, 2017 I got the amazing opportunity to go on the Gulliver blue missions trip. This was the first time Gulliver went on a blue trip and I was so grateful to be a part of it, and to be the youngest one going out of my group. We stayed in a church up in the mountains in a beautiful campo called Guanabano. When we first arrived at the campo it was already dark. Many people from the campo were waiting for us in the church and greeted us with music and dancing. We built 16 latrines in Guanabano. One of my favorite moments was when we finished building this one latrine and the woman we built it for began to cry because of how happy she was to see she now has a bathroom with a working toilet. Overall, the people there were amazing and so were my leaders, Caro, Bella, Richard, and Puma. Everyone from the campo were all so welcoming, polite, and always wanted to help us build. The kids were amazing, I loved talking to them and playing games with them. Going on this trip made me realize how privileged I am and I couldn't be more grateful to have had the opportunity to experience something so wonderful. From this trip I definitely took back how to live in the moment and how to not take the little things in life for granted. I am currently a sophomore now and will be going on another blue missions trip this summer. I am also taking a lead on blue missions at Gulliver to keep it running. My 9 day stay in Guanabano was something I will definitely always remember. -Sara Ferrer

Blue

There is no need for me to elaborate on this amazing experience because I can describe it in two words... life changing. This was an eye opening trip and I wake up every morning wishing I could see the faces of the campesinos again. I eat rice and beans now in Miami and I say "Damn, this was not as good as the ones the Dominicans made". I reminisce on BLUE and the campo everyday, wishing I could "clavar un clavo de 4" just one more time. Thank you BLUE for showing me that life isn't about the big things or the material things, but about the little things in life. A simple litrine changed the life of a campesino during my BLUE trip (OLLA 2) but a small campesinos gesture of a smile towards me has changed my life forever.

Amazing!!!

Have to go on! Amazing missions trip not only with volunteers but also with local Dominican communities! Felt great helping those in need, positive energy and life lessons for nine straight days! Bit scary at first living in what seems to be very poor conditions but you soon learn these communities are rich in heart. Highly recommend!

Life changing

My trip started kind of rough, but it only took me a few days to adjust and become comfortable. After I became comfortable, the trip was so amazing. I would highly recommend it to anyone I know and I plan on attending the trip again next year.

3 time volunteer

It was an amazing experience overall, working hard with the Dominicans and other volunteer made me feel very accomplished and happy for the campo (community). I've gone three times over my high school career and I'll definitely consider going again with a college group.

El higuero

Best trip really life changing can't wait to go back next year. Seeing how little they had and how happy they were was unbelievable because we don't appreciate how much we have and all we do is complain if our water is too cold or we don't have a new iPhone. It made me realize that I should appreciate everything I have.

Find Your Why

Before BLUE Missions, honestly, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. People would usually ask me where I was going to college, what I wanted to study, and where I saw myself in ten years, but I came to a blank. When I signed up for BLUE, I was hoping to learn a little more about myself through service and others, because ever since I was little I was taught that through service God would reveal himself to you and will show you the way. As my trip was getting closer and closer, I became even more excited and nervous, not knowing what I would get out of this experience. However, the first full day we discussed about "finding your why" and "living in the moment" because life shouldn't be taken for granted. Over the next few days, I made memories, friends, and learned so much about love, God, and happiness. Not one day went by that I didn't take full advantage of my time there because I knew it would end soon, and I really didn't want it to. On one of the last days there, one of our leaders had talked about living in the moment again, she went on to say that the best way to live a happy life was to incorporate helping others some way and somehow into your daily routine. That, and all the tears shed on the last day, made me realize that helping others is exactly what I wanted to do for as long as possible. More specifically, I would like to continue my journey with BLUE for as long as possible. I never knew how attached you could become to people and places until BLUE and I will never forget my time there because it didn't matter how long I was there for, it was about who was there and what they taught me. Thank you BLUE for helping me find my why.

El Piché/Naranjito experiences

BLUE Missions has impacted my life tremendously. Not only have I found an organization that has helped me to discover a passion for community service but has shaped the way I view service, not just as a requirement but as a lifestyle. Every experience I've had on a summer immersion trip, leaves me inspired to do more for my community back home and spread the responsibility I feel to take action wherever I can, no matter how small. I'm grateful to have been apart of water and sanitation projects with BLUE because I witnessed an injustice firsthand and was able to serve alongside the women, men, and children who suffered from its consequences. For me, the powerful impact of a BLUE Missions immersion trip comes from one-of-a-kind encounters in the campo that are encouraged by the project's recipients, fellow volunteers, and leaders who inspire me to live in the moment. I look forward to where BLUE Missions will teach me next!

Most meaningful thing I've done.

Blue missions is a 10 out of 10 experience for sure. I always find myself talking about it to people at my university and even trying to recruit people to go on their own trips, whether it's consciously or subconsciously. I made many friends on my trip that I still keep in touch with. There wasn't a single moment where I sat there and thought "why did I do this to myself", so anybody going can be sure that they are going to have a great time. The most impactful part of the trip is definitely the way we live amongst the people of the town we are helping and we partake in their every day lives. Getting to meet the people of the town and work side by side with them every day is a humbling experience that has definitely affected me in the rest of my life back home. To anybody having doubts about going, I say go, plain and simple.

Every moment is a drop of water, and "Every Drop Counts."

"Because of you, we don't have to carry buckets [of water] on our heads."

How do you describe the incredible?! The number of laughs we shared. The number of hours we worked. The number of times I said, "No sè." The number of new friends I have. The number of tears I cried. The number of times I thought I'd never leave the arms of my new brother- Pedro Luis.

This past week, 92 families of El Limòn gain the access to clean water and no longer have to carry buckets on their heads. This past week 14 of my newest and greatest friends found what it means to live our best life and live in the moment- each moment. This past week I fell in love with my authentic self and it's changed my life forever. This past week, I was truly left speechless (and as a Communication Major- I always have something to say)!

El Limòn, you gave me so much more than I could ever express; I love you. Thanks to Florida State Alternative Breaks and BLUE Missions for a life changing spring break that could never be compared to!

My BLUE experience

I have been on three BLUE trips ( and counting!). These experiences and the time I have spent living like a campesino changed my perspective. My perspective on life. My perspective on people. It changed the way I went about every situation I came across, whether positive or negative. It taught me to appreciate the little things because they are, in fact, the big things. It brought to light the blessings I have, and it taught me to appreciate them while I have them. BLUE Missions Immersion Trips are a priceless. They introduce every volunteer into new people and immerse volunteers into a new culture. The best way to live is living to serve and I will continue living and serving with BLUE Missions.

Naranjito

I never had to worry too much about my safety so I was able to just enjoy myself and take everything in. I loved my leaders they made me feel so comfortable and the group of people I went with was awesome too.

Blue Missions volunteer

I loved my experience volunteering with BLUE Missions in the Dominican Republic. I learned so much about what it means to be an active citizen in my community and what it means to spread awareness for issues such as the lack of water that most people from higher socioeconomic statuses in the US are unaware of. The actual work in the Dominican Republic was not too demanding as the locals were a big part of building the latrines for their community. We were well trained by the BLUE staff, who were fun, down to earth, and very knowledgeable individuals, and we were well accepted by the community. Overall, BLUE and the community in the DR taught me so much about service and more. Thanks!!

The BLUE way

I had the pleasure of joining the first ever BLUE "Young Professionals" Trip. It was one that I had been anticipating and was extremely nervous about. The excitement of being with a bunch of friends helping others sounded like a great idea, but I had no idea what I signed myself up for. Needless to say it was one of the greatest moments of my life.

From the preparation meetings, to the moment we got to the Dominican Republic, the staff and leaders of the group had made me feel so comfortable and were so helpful that they eased and calmed my nerves. I have never been on an a mission trip like this before, but in the future I hope that any other trips I attend outside of BLUE Missions, are as organized and helpful as they were. They really set the standard high.

There's always concerns when you sign up for these trips on whether it will be safe, what are the living conditions, what happens if you injure yourself while working. First off, their first priority is the people attending the mission trip and before you even sign up for the trip they take months of prep work to see if the community is one that is safe. They take a trip a year prior to study the area that they plan on going to. They look to see if it is a place that has a welcoming community, if there are any dangers, and to see if the people are open to having outsiders come in and help. They educate the community on what it takes to build and maintain an aqueduct/latrine. All this is done prior to ensure that the attendees of the trip have a quality and safe experience.

While you are there they have an entire team that is catered to you and the other trip members. They are there to teach you how to work together, how to handle all the tools and duties that you are given, and most importantly to make sure you are safe. These are key factors that the BLUE team takes seriously.

Even when you are back home the members of the BLUE team still keep in touch with me and make sure that everything is going well in my own life. The team is filled with truly loving and caring individuals and I cannot express the gratitude that I have for them for making such a great trip. I look forward to returning to the campos one day and taking another trip through BLUE Missions because they are working on their number one mission which is to Build Love and Unite Everyone.

The best week of my life

I know rating a trip all 10s seems a little excessive but it honestly was the best week of my life. I've been on service trips with different organizations before but Blue Missions surpasses them all. You get to help make sustainable change while also becoming a part of the community. Blue Missions taught me so much from how to live in the moment to how to serve a community in a sustainable way. With blue Missions the focus is on the community, not the volunteers which is a trait hard to find in today's age of volunteerism. I would recommend this trip to anyone who is looking to be a part of sustainable change and anyone who is open to learning more about a different way of life.