Water & Sanitation Projects with BLUE Missions
BLUE Missions Header Image BLUE Missions Header Image

Water & Sanitation Projects with BLUE Missions

I lived

My entire life, I have lived devoted to service- to making a difference in someone else's life by helping them when they need help most. Everything I thought I had ever known about what it is to help another person has been completely changed by BLUE Missions. The community of El Puerto is filled with some of the most beautiful souls I have ever had the privilege of meeting in my lifetime, and those 9 days that I spent surrounded by the beauty of the island and the simple joys of the people taught me so many lessons about myself, and the gift that life is.

The 9 best days of my life started by waking up in the morning to Caro Consuegra's awesome playlists, and hearing Dani Consuegra's cheerful "Good Morning Everyone", to then sit down for breakfast to try to figure out the best way to eat a peanut butter and guava cracker sandwich (poptart style was the winner). Then, our work day would officially start by going to our first home for the day to either start or finish a latrine, and meet, or say goodbye to another beautiful family. After a morning hard at work, we'd be off to our five-star lunch, created by the masterful campesina chefs. With satisfied bellies, siesta time would start, and depending on the day, we would either go off looking for adventure, fruits, or a nice spot to take a nap. After siesta time, it was back to work, which would be followed by a glorious bucket shower, play time with the campo-kids, and another magnificent meal. Night time activities consisted of games of mafia, cards, and staring at the brightest most beautiful stars I have ever seen.

These perfect days, and my amazing leaders taught me that all I need to be truly happy in my life, is to choose to be happy, to live in the moment, and make each moment count. I learned that I have the power and the potential to actually change someone's life - in a BIG way. I know now that little by little, campesino by campesino, I CAN change the world. BLUE Missions helped me find my purpose in life - my "why" so I can tell you wholeheartedly and completely that when anyone asks me "why was I put on this planet?" I can tell them that it is because I am meant to help people. I am meant to make a difference in this world. So all I can say is thank you Caro and Dani Consuegra, thank you to my amazing teacher who told me about this trip, thank you BLUE, and thank you El Puerto, for helping me find my "why".

BLUE Missions summer volunteer

It was an absolutely life changing experience. Amazing volunteers, effective and impactful projects, fun activities, incredible communities, and perfectly run. You make a massive impact and take away more than you can imagine due to both the communities visited and BLUE's perfected algorithm.

Naranjito & Pico Duarte

Last summer, I had the opportunity to visit Naranjito, a remote, rural community in the Dominican Republic, with BLUE Missions Group. It had been many years since I had been on a mission. I fell in love with the sights and sounds of the campo, once again. My experience was everything I hoped it would be and more! I spent nine days working with the other volunteers and locals, building latrines as part of a sanitation project. The people welcomed us with open arms and were filed with joy and hope, despite their incredible need. While we hammered together, we chatted about our way of life, and theirs, and shared stories that bonded us, despite our differences. By the second day, I was completely oblivious about the lack of electricity or cell reception, or even ice. The food, mostly vegetarian dishes of rice and beans and delicious plantains, yucca and fresh fruit never, ever disappointed! For those nine days, I was free from the distractions and hustle and bustle of city life. I found clarity, peace, and perspective! A few months later, I was blessed to climb Pico Duarte on an adventure trek, and what an adventure it was! The first day was by far the most challenging, climbing eleven miles in just about nine hours! But, it was almost the most rewarding! When we arrived at base camp after a full day of climbing, I knew I could make it to the summit! And I did! If climbing is on your bucket list, but you're not ready for Kilimanjaro, this is the climb for you! The landscape is spectacular, it's only three days of climbing, and you will feel challenged in ways you never have before. But YOU CAN DO IT! You WILL make it to the top! And all.. for a GREAT cause...to end the global water and sanitation crisis.

Life enhancing

Blue Missions is one of life's experiences that I just won't ever forget. It changed my life as a freshman in college, allowing me to indulge in the Dominican culture and work alongside them in both water and sanitation projects. Every time that I go on a trip, it ignites a fire in me to go out and be a better person in this world.

Finding My Why

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I signed up for my first BLUE trip this year, even though my best friend had been speaking marvels about her trips for the past five years. At first I did not know anything about what BLUE stood for, what their mission was, what they did, but decided to give it a shot anyways. Nothing has been the same ever since. I discovered parts of myself that I did not even know, and as a twenty year old, it was a sense of adventure of one's self that is indescribable. During the nine days we spent at "el campo" I created strong bonds with people I had never met before, something I deemed impossible. I was able to step into the shoes of many campesinos and see life through their eyes, something that taught me, not only about themselves, more about myself and what my outlook on life should be. I used to look at life as a mission filled with obstacles you had to overcome, and with this trip with BLUE I now am able to see life as this grand adventure with experiences and gifts along the way towards your better self. With my shovel and pick-axe, I was able to unearth my real "why" in life, my objective, my motivation to help other's along my path towards a better human in this world. These days in the campo were truly an experience that you cannot understand until you live it, something I learned and hopefully now, I can be like my best friend and persuade someone else to attend a trip like this and ultimately discover their very own "why".

My experience with BLUE!

I can hands down say that BLUE was one of (if not the best) experiences of my life. Traveling to a new country and being immersed into a new community and culture was extraordinary. Not only did our community in DR make us feel welcomed, they will now be with me forever. Knowing that you are helping these families attain such basic necessities (water and latrines) that weren't as easily accessible before is one of the best feelings imaginable. And not only are you providing for them, you are getting to know people in the communities and your volunteer group that make life-long impacts as well as friendships. Every day was a new adventure and nothing short of exciting and fun, whether we were sawing, laying concrete, hammering, spending time with the campesinos, playing games with the kids, or bonding with the members of our volunteer group. Our leaders really made the experience one of a kind by relating to us and making every minute of the day one filled with laughs all the while being extremely responsible and making us feel safe in any situation. I will be participating in BLUE Missions next year and am hopeful to be with them for a long time.

10/10 would recommend to anybody

I worked for BLUE Missions this past summer as an intern helping to lead trips. All interns are university students who volunteered their time for free over the summer for no pay. I would do this again in a heartbeat. Every day was a new adventure and I loved every minute of it. This was my third year going on a BLUE Missions trip and I plan on going again next year. If you haven't tried it and are on the fence about going, don't stay on the fence. Go. You will not regret it and will love every minute of it.

Be Bold

If you have a chance to participate in any Blue Missions service trips I highly recommend it. It was definitely one of my highlights of this past year. I thoroughly enjoyed participating and helping the communities of the DR and I would do it again with no hesitation.

Inimitable Replicas

BLUE Missions trips surpass my high expectations every time. I went on my first trip expecting to change many lives yet feel relatively unchanged. This assumption and my staid demeanor crumpled upon arrival to the campo, and every other since. I honestly consider myself addicted to this mission. Every project I've contributed to has been a unique and inimitable experience filled with adventure and love. It's the only vacation I take where I leave feeling more refreshed than how I arrived. After each trip, I feel a sense of craving that can only be satisfied upon return. I crave for more of the love and unity BLUE builds. Although every trip has been incredibly different, the joy and fulfillment I felt on my first trip has been overwhelmingly present in every other trip too, which has maintained my desire to return. These water and sanitation projects provide the expected service to those in need, and an unexpected, impactful service to each and every one of the volunteers. I truly believe in BLUE's mission and am anxiously awaiting my opportunity to return again and partake in another inimitable replica.

Heart-Warming

BLUE Missions never fails to bring a smile on my face. I look at pictures everyday from my previous trips and I can't wait to go back. The people are amazing; both the BLUE leaders and the townspeople. 12/10 kind of a trip!

Always giving my heart to BLUE Missions

This year I decided to go out of my comfort zone and attend a Blue Missions trip completely alone. I chose Blue Missions because they had a Young Professionals trip so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to not only give back, but meet new people. The leaders and staff of Blue are so kind and extremely organized. They are responsive and provide so many different tools and resources to get you the post prepared without expecting any surprises. The locals are what made the experience for me, and you truly will never take any advantage of what you have back at home after leaving, and the memories will live on forever. I highly recommend this trip, especially if it's your first time doing a mission trip, this is by far the best organization to prepare you for it.

AMAZING!

This was an amazing and rewarding experience to give back to the community and to meet the people of the campo! I enjoyed every minute and I can't wait to go on another mission trip! I loved being able to help the community and seeing life through their eyes. Although we came to serve them, they taught us valuable lessons that I will always remember and hold dear to my heart. I will always remember to appreciate the little things in life and to always live in the moment. I recommend this mission trip to everyone because it is truly such a great experience. I wouldn't trade the time I spent in the campo to be anywhere else.

#BLUEInternship

Waking up before the sun rise, hiking through unbelievable mountains, sweating until we were drenched, laughing until we cried, smiling until it hurt, and everything else in between, BLUE taught us that you can work hard and play just as hard meanwhile falling in love with volunteers and communities. From campo to campo we were able to meet countless men and women who just completely blew us away with their endless compassion and their beautiful perspective on simplicity each time impacting us more and more profoundly... and these were all just the cherries on top.

Growing up I was always told the things you take for granted, someone else is praying for. I never truly understood the meaning of that until I interned for BLUE Missions. It was through these experiences that I was able to meet countless men and women who completely blow you away with their endless compassion and their beautiful perspective on simplicity where you're able to learn so much. The way they spread their love and joy to complete strangers left, and continues to leave, such an impression in my heart. My appreciation for life, my family, and the little things in this world —such as clean drinking water—has made my heart grow and absolutely love the work we are able to do for them and these communities. BLUE is an acronym that stands for building love, uniting everyone, and that itself is one of the many reasons why I find myself saying yes. every. single. time.

What's your Why?

This past summer I participated in my 4th mission trip to the Dominican Republic. Although each trip involved the same type of physical work, they were all unique in their own way. I think it has to do with what stage you are at in your life when you choose to register. This year I was not expecting to attend a trip with BLUE Missions, until the day before when the opportunity arose to do so. It is probably one of the most memorable trips to date. There is definitely something to be said about the little things you experience on each trip which allow you to "live in the moment" and completely disconnect from life back home.

Miracles Were Made in El Catey :)

Although the 9 days I spent on my BLUE trip came and went way too quickly, they were the most meaningful and fulfilling days of my life! Stepping off the bus and meeting the campesinos, I instantly noticed the excitement and delight in each of their faces. From that moment on, I got a glimpse of the miracles that were about the happen on this journey.

I had always heard that there was something about listening to music in the morning that brings you a good day. I'm thrilled to now be a strong supporter of this belief, thanks to my mornings in the campo. Waking up to the sound of excitement brought an instant smile to my face. I was able to start each day on the right foot, confident in the fact that there was a brand new day ahead of me to find out what I was made of.

What they don't tell you is how much of an impact the experience will have on yourself. Each day I learned something new from either the Dominicans, the leaders, or entire group as a whole. Starting with the truth that there is always a reason to be smiling, to then realizing the gift of life while I was currently living it. I will forever be humbled by the simplicity and happiness of life in El Catey. The smiles I was able to see were always so genuine and surely contagious. Whether it was the breathtaking views that God laid right in front of our eyes to see, the laughter we were able to hear from a bit down the mountain, or the chills we felt as we danced all together in the campo streets, I was taught that everything in life is precious, no matter how big or small it may be.

What I will always so vividly remember the most were the feelings that I was incapable of putting into words. The journey I got to embark on, (B)uilding (L)ove (U)niting (E)veryone, reminded me to be extremely grateful for my past, encouraged me to be excited for my future, but ultimately inspired me to live in my present.

It was relieving to learn that when life gets tough, it is nothing but another chance for us to open our eyes towards the continuous moments we still have to live and grow. God wants us to discover what he made us to be. He challenges us to #BeBold and step out in faith. Thanks to God and Blue Missions, I have found my “why” and am overjoyed with excitement for my future with this beautiful organization.

Building Love Uniting Everyone - An experience of a lifetime

This past summer I went on a BLUE missions trip to build aqueducts to bring clean water to a poor “campo” in the Dominican Republic. On the trip, my mission team and the wonderful people of the Dominican Republic really showed me what life is about and what love looks like. On top of the heartwarming care I watched all these people share with each other, this experience also opened my eyes to a major issue in developing countries that I never had to think about or see directly -- insufficient access to clean water and sanitation. This mission and the trips it organizes give their participants a sense of purpose and a realization that change can start with the individual, and that individual could be you. My trip was one of the best experiences of my life, and I cannot wait to go on another one next summer and every year after.

Find your why are BLUE

We had lasting impressions tonight and I decided my why was empowerment. Us being here and us being girls empowered the campesinas through women's day and through example. In a male dominated world these women don't always see their worth or their capabilities and capacity to be independent, to be a woman, to be a mother. And the younger women saw us as a model for their future. They can be anything they desire. There was a little girl who was following me around all week. At one of the casita sites I asked her if she wanted to hammer, she hesitantly agreed and while the boys around looked skeptical, she did it! She was able to punch the nail into the wood. Her smile was priceless and today when I was talking to her I asked her what she wanted to be when she grows up. She told me she wanted to be a teacher. My heart swelled with happiness. Was I able to show her what a strong and happy woman looks like. One who is capable of anything she puts her mind too. I truly found my why over the past two days.

Today we built our last 3 casitas ate lunch and packed up. The women are preparing a big dinner, with chicken... I think! And they set up many chairs and tables for the whole town. We'll eat and dance the night away. And in the morning we'll go on the bus and drive away from the campo to the city and get on a plane and fly away from the DR back to reality... but the image of the girl smiling after she hammered that nail will stay with me forever. And the memories of the people of el Puerto will continue to fill my heart with joy. Our mission in life should be to build love together and see the humanity we all share.

Peace and Love

After my first trip, i knew it wouldn't be my last. it was a tough adjustment to such a different lifestyle yet so beautiful because of the experience. the leaders were empowering. the trip itself was impactful. the memories will last me forever and the community i worked with will be forever in my heart. so glad i got to work with Blue

Best trip ever!

Such an eye opening experience with amazing volunteers! They are the reason the trip was so fun. Feeling so blessed to have spent 10 days with all the people from the community of Altos Del Pílon. The trip was very organized and gave everyone an opportunity to work hard while also enjoying all there was to offer. The food was DELICIOUS!! I never knew basic meals could taste so good! Truly one of the best trips of my life.

Sanitation Project

Last year I participated on a Blue Missions trip, where we were able to build 18 latrines for families that really needed it. This was one of the most memorable and impactful trips I've ever been on. Seeing the smiles on their faces as we would build their latrines meant the world to me. We formed close friendships with the people of the community, while helping them out. I gained a lot out of this trip and I'm grateful I was able to help these families. I can't wait until next summer so I can go again!

Amazing Experience

I had the privilege of going on my second trip this summer. I reminded me how much I love this magical place all all the people that live there. Through these trips I have made many new friends that I hold close to my heart and I have learned so many life lessons through the people in these communities. The BLUE Staff continue to be role models for me in the campo and at home and I absolutely adore every single one I have had the pleasure of meeting. I would recommend going on one of these trips because they are true eye openers of life and culture.

Best experience I've ever had

BLUE missions has been the key to so many great memories, experiences, and lessons in my life! Being in the DR in those conditions isn't hard at all because everything else makes up for it maybe the first day or the first shower but you'll never forget your first bucket shower. When I'm in the DR I never wanna be on my phone or do I even think about what's going on with my friends at home. My two trips have truly taught me the true meaning of happiness and selflessness. I hope I can continue doing trips for as long as I can. Love love love BLUE missions:) !!!!

Sanitation Project

I had a great experience on my mission trip with Blue Missions. I participated in a sanitation project where we built 18 latrines for the community and not only did we serve the community but we interacted with them and formed close bonds that I will never forget. This trip taught me a lot and I am grateful I was able to participate in one and I can't want to go again in the future.

Latrines

Amazing and great experience for everyone to have one day. I enjoyed every moment and everyday. i would love to go back one day. my leaders were amazing and engaging! shout out to Caro and Dani Consuegra and Caro Debeche!

Life-Changing Experiences Words Cannot Describe

I volunteered on my first BLUE Missions trip the summer of 2016 and in just nine days of being in the campo, i fell in love with the town, people and the organization. This past summer I had the opportunity of a life time to intern with BLUE Missions. In this internship I was able to help lead water and sanitation projects in three different campos. I was lucky enough to spend six weeks in a country i fell in love with in the summer of 2016. The experiences I have had with BLUE Missions have been extremely incredible and words cannot describe the thoughts and feelings that i have experienced while being on these trips. The bonds that I have created with the BLUE team, the Dominicans and the volunteers have been nothing but amazing. By the end of this past summer, I am proud to say that I have completed four BLUE trips and will most definitely continue my journey with BLUE Missions in years to come.