Water & Sanitation Projects with BLUE Missions
Blue Missions Header Image Blue Missions Header Image

Water & Sanitation Projects with BLUE Missions

El Piché/Naranjito experiences

BLUE Missions has impacted my life tremendously. Not only have I found an organization that has helped me to discover a passion for community service but has shaped the way I view service, not just as a requirement but as a lifestyle. Every experience I've had on a summer immersion trip, leaves me inspired to do more for my community back home and spread the responsibility I feel to take action wherever I can, no matter how small. I'm grateful to have been apart of water and sanitation projects with BLUE because I witnessed an injustice firsthand and was able to serve alongside the women, men, and children who suffered from its consequences. For me, the powerful impact of a BLUE Missions immersion trip comes from one-of-a-kind encounters in the campo that are encouraged by the project's recipients, fellow volunteers, and leaders who inspire me to live in the moment. I look forward to where BLUE Missions will teach me next!

Most meaningful thing I've done.

Blue missions is a 10 out of 10 experience for sure. I always find myself talking about it to people at my university and even trying to recruit people to go on their own trips, whether it's consciously or subconsciously. I made many friends on my trip that I still keep in touch with. There wasn't a single moment where I sat there and thought "why did I do this to myself", so anybody going can be sure that they are going to have a great time. The most impactful part of the trip is definitely the way we live amongst the people of the town we are helping and we partake in their every day lives. Getting to meet the people of the town and work side by side with them every day is a humbling experience that has definitely affected me in the rest of my life back home. To anybody having doubts about going, I say go, plain and simple.

Every moment is a drop of water, and "Every Drop Counts."

"Because of you, we don't have to carry buckets [of water] on our heads."

How do you describe the incredible?! The number of laughs we shared. The number of hours we worked. The number of times I said, "No sè." The number of new friends I have. The number of tears I cried. The number of times I thought I'd never leave the arms of my new brother- Pedro Luis.

This past week, 92 families of El Limòn gain the access to clean water and no longer have to carry buckets on their heads. This past week 14 of my newest and greatest friends found what it means to live our best life and live in the moment- each moment. This past week I fell in love with my authentic self and it's changed my life forever. This past week, I was truly left speechless (and as a Communication Major- I always have something to say)!

El Limòn, you gave me so much more than I could ever express; I love you. Thanks to Florida State Alternative Breaks and BLUE Missions for a life changing spring break that could never be compared to!

My BLUE experience

I have been on three BLUE trips ( and counting!). These experiences and the time I have spent living like a campesino changed my perspective. My perspective on life. My perspective on people. It changed the way I went about every situation I came across, whether positive or negative. It taught me to appreciate the little things because they are, in fact, the big things. It brought to light the blessings I have, and it taught me to appreciate them while I have them. BLUE Missions Immersion Trips are a priceless. They introduce every volunteer into new people and immerse volunteers into a new culture. The best way to live is living to serve and I will continue living and serving with BLUE Missions.

Naranjito

I never had to worry too much about my safety so I was able to just enjoy myself and take everything in. I loved my leaders they made me feel so comfortable and the group of people I went with was awesome too.

Blue Missions volunteer

I loved my experience volunteering with BLUE Missions in the Dominican Republic. I learned so much about what it means to be an active citizen in my community and what it means to spread awareness for issues such as the lack of water that most people from higher socioeconomic statuses in the US are unaware of. The actual work in the Dominican Republic was not too demanding as the locals were a big part of building the latrines for their community. We were well trained by the BLUE staff, who were fun, down to earth, and very knowledgeable individuals, and we were well accepted by the community. Overall, BLUE and the community in the DR taught me so much about service and more. Thanks!!

The BLUE way

I had the pleasure of joining the first ever BLUE "Young Professionals" Trip. It was one that I had been anticipating and was extremely nervous about. The excitement of being with a bunch of friends helping others sounded like a great idea, but I had no idea what I signed myself up for. Needless to say it was one of the greatest moments of my life.

From the preparation meetings, to the moment we got to the Dominican Republic, the staff and leaders of the group had made me feel so comfortable and were so helpful that they eased and calmed my nerves. I have never been on an a mission trip like this before, but in the future I hope that any other trips I attend outside of BLUE Missions, are as organized and helpful as they were. They really set the standard high.

There's always concerns when you sign up for these trips on whether it will be safe, what are the living conditions, what happens if you injure yourself while working. First off, their first priority is the people attending the mission trip and before you even sign up for the trip they take months of prep work to see if the community is one that is safe. They take a trip a year prior to study the area that they plan on going to. They look to see if it is a place that has a welcoming community, if there are any dangers, and to see if the people are open to having outsiders come in and help. They educate the community on what it takes to build and maintain an aqueduct/latrine. All this is done prior to ensure that the attendees of the trip have a quality and safe experience.

While you are there they have an entire team that is catered to you and the other trip members. They are there to teach you how to work together, how to handle all the tools and duties that you are given, and most importantly to make sure you are safe. These are key factors that the BLUE team takes seriously.

Even when you are back home the members of the BLUE team still keep in touch with me and make sure that everything is going well in my own life. The team is filled with truly loving and caring individuals and I cannot express the gratitude that I have for them for making such a great trip. I look forward to returning to the campos one day and taking another trip through BLUE Missions because they are working on their number one mission which is to Build Love and Unite Everyone.

The best week of my life

I know rating a trip all 10s seems a little excessive but it honestly was the best week of my life. I've been on service trips with different organizations before but Blue Missions surpasses them all. You get to help make sustainable change while also becoming a part of the community. Blue Missions taught me so much from how to live in the moment to how to serve a community in a sustainable way. With blue Missions the focus is on the community, not the volunteers which is a trait hard to find in today's age of volunteerism. I would recommend this trip to anyone who is looking to be a part of sustainable change and anyone who is open to learning more about a different way of life.

Simple happiness

I can't thank and credit BLUE enough for giving me such an amazing experience and opportunity to do something good in my life. The return I received from serving in the trip is enough to fuel my drive to continue serving in the communities of the DR and the rest of the world for that matter.

Life changing experience

My experience with BLUE Missions will forever stay with me. Participating in two trips has changed my life in more ways than I could have imagined. The relationships I formed with my fellow volunteers as well as with my leaders positively impacted my life. Spending about 10 days in a Dominican village, I grew more appreciative for all the blessings in my life. I learned how to live simply, how to enjoy every day to the fullest, and how we have so much to be grateful for.

Both life-changing and life-shaping!

Would not want to spend my summers anywhere else! Volunteering with BLUE Missions has shaped me into who I am today and changed my perspective and outlook on life. My experience ignited a keen interest in global health, especially that of children. I want to be part of the equation that helps reduce the number of individuals worldwide who lack access to safe drinking water and proper sanitation.

An amazing experience

I am so glad I got to volunteer with BLUE Missions! Throughout the week, I learned more about myself, my peers, and most importantly how to work alongside the community. I felt so comfortable in a country different than the United States, because of the organizational strengths and incredible leadership from BLUE missions. I will never forget the people of El Limon or the time I spent there.

Sanitation project

I had the amazing opportunity to help provide 17 Dominican families with latrines. This experience was truly impacting and made me realize that so many people in the world need our help. I think the cause of providing others with clean water and sanitation is important because they are two basic needs that every human should have. My experience was truly eye opening and inspiring. It was also very special to work with the people we were helping. Families would watch us outside and help build the lateines right alongside us. Their positive attitudes towards their quality of life and their happiness are inspiring. I am returning again this summer to provide another town with sanitation and I couldn't be more excited!

BLUE veteran

Very seldomly in life does someone get the opportunity to make a significant difference, no matter the size, in a strangers life. Those odds begin to decrease if I were to say that someone would be able to experience that opportunity consistently year after year. The tenure that I have been privileged to enjoy for the past 8 years volunteering for BLUE has been the greatest joy of my life. Being able to return time and time again to the Dominican Republic to assist and live along-side the amazing native and volunteers is an experience indescribable by words. Picture fail to capture the sheer unfiltered and untouched beauty of the Dominican countryside. And the work that it accomplished over an entire trip may be physically exhausting but is a divine detox for the soul. I highly recommend to anyone that has a yearning for helping others and adventure to take the chance in volunteering with an organization like BLUE Missions.

Volunteering with BLUE

Life changing, eye opening, and family are the first words that come into my mind when I think about my experience with BLUE Missions. Although my time was short my memories will last forever, and BLUE has made a large impact on my life. When you volunteer with BLUE Missions you don't just give back to a community, because the community gives back to you as well. You see real change and how basic commodities, which we tend to take for granted, such as clean water and sanitation make a real difference that is indescribable. Live in the moment, Live BLUE (Building Love Uniting Everyone).

Unbelievably breathtaking

The trip was overall amazing, to meet new people and interacting with everyone was amazing. I never thought I would love a group of people so much like I love the people I went with. This type if activity really brings people together and makes us better people as a whole. I wish the whole world could be able to live this life changing experience. I will definitely be going on one of these trips again.

BLUE Volunteer

BLUE Missions gave me the opportunity to go to the DR with a group of young adults that all had one thing in common: the urge to make a difference. We learned how to live in the moment and appreciate the simple things around us. Through says spent with the children and women we were able to leave our mark on each and every one of them by reminding them that they play an important role in the community and that although they are woman and they are children that they are strong and can make a difference by saving water and using it correctly! After my 9 days in the campo I was relieved to know that the people now had faucets close to home and no longer had to climb and hike miles high to get water. I recommend this trip to everyone! There's something about putting others first and giving them such a basic thing we take for granted, water, that makes the trip worth it! Can't wait to go back.

BLUE

Going on a blue trip was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made, I learned so much about myself and what I wish to do with the rest of my life. It really is an incredible experience and I recommend everyone to go.

Naranjito

Blue Missions truly changed my life. Before knowing the incredible experience I had on this mission trip, I begged my mom to not let me go and "miss" the flight. My mom telling me no and to tough it out was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. Not only did I meet incredible capensinos, I made amazing friends and I created a new appreciation for life. I am forever thankful for this beautiful experience, one that I will remember and be a part of forever.

The best experience

No words can describe what it's like to participate on a Blue Missions trip. This trip is sure to change your life and inspire you to want to make a difference in the world. Before I went on my first trip, I was freaking out. I was worried about my living situations, my safety, and what I was going to eat, but the minute I got there, all my worries went away and I was eager to plan my next trip. Being in the campo puts you in a mood that you can only receive in the campo. You feel a sense of extreme calmness take over your body and all of a sudden, nothing that you are worried about matters anymore. The campo is the only place where I can wake up at 7 am and not only not care that it was so early, but I would willingly wake up earlier to see the sunrise to "live in the moment." The men, women, and children that I met in the campo are some of the happiest/most inspiring people I have ever met and they have far less than any of us do. It is so easy to not realize what a blessing it is that you can walk 10 steps in the morning to the sink to brush your teeth, but after going on these trips, it is something that I no longer take for granted. Lastly, it still amazes me how close you can get to people on a 9 day trip, but I can assure you that you can and will. I started off both my trips alongside 15 strangers and finished it with my BLUE family.

Toyi's experience

I went on my first trip the summer going into junior year. I had no idea what to expect, and as the trip got closer my anxiety only grew. Finally the day came to leave and my nerves were at an all time high, but I knew this trip was going to be an experience I wouldn't forget. When we finally got To the campo I had already bonded with the girls on my trip, and I felt comfortable with them. When we got off the truck I remember seeing the smiling faces, and the warm welcomes for the beautiful people who lived there. During those nine days I experienced a change in my life and I felt the change I was making in the loves of others, and I feel in love with service, and with blue. I can never thank BLUE mission for the amazing experience, and I don't plan to stop going on trips any time soon it truly was a time i'll never forget.

B.L.U.E.: Living up to it's name

As each year rolls by I always find myself looking forward to my summers more than any other time of year. The main reason being that I get to volunteer on BLUE's immersion trips. BLUE has become something that I find therapeutic in nearly all aspects: physically, mentally, spiritually, etc. Dedicating my time to serving others is not something I would have thought to become a passion of mine, but BLUE taught and continues to teach me that there is more to this world than what we are accustomed to in our first world society. Being an acronym of Building Love Uniting Everyone, BLUE has truly taught me just that, how to be a more caring person toward my environment and resources, to be selfless and care for others.

Home sweet home

I was introduced to BLUE by my school. In the beginning of my sophomore year, all my classmates were always talking about BLUE, so I joined the club and decided to try it out. I got to know a little bit about it so I signed up for a trip. If you know me, I am an outdoors person so when I would attend the meetings and hear about the trip I got so excited. Summer came and it was time to leave. As I was saying bye to my family, yes I was sad but I was just so excited to help others. We landed and I felt like I was in a different world. I felt out of place. We hopped onto the bus and during that two hour car ride is where I started to get to know those other 22 girls in my bus. Finally, we arrived to Blanquito. And little did I know that that small community after nine days would become my home sweet home. We set up our cots and mosquito nets and had our first meal. As time went by, more and more families started to introduce themselves to us. They only spoke Spanish so it took me a while to comprehend them but I got it. The next eight days consisted of work, fun and laughter. My trip consisted of strong, hard working women so I knew we could get the job done. Having the children and Blanquito community help us too was amazing. We worked but we had fun with it. Playing with those little kids was just enlightening. Hearing their laugh and seeing their big smiles just made happy. As days went by, I become more accustomed to the Blanquito community. I felt like I was another Blanquito campesino living life. They made me feel at home. Throughout those nine days, I grew a special bond with each and every one of those people. I felt loved. Those nine days flew by and I soon relaized I was leaving my home. I was leaving my happy place. While we were leaving all they were saying was "gracias" for all we had done but I feel like I should of been the one to say "gracias." They made me into the woman I am today and I can not thank them enough. Little did I know that those other 22 girls that I had just met on the plane and bus would soon become my sisters. Without a doubt I signed up for another trip. Even though I probably will never be able to see my Blanquito family again, they will always have a special place in my heart. Blanquito is now my home sweet home.

A lifelong memory

BLUE Missions was an incredible experience that will always be a great topic of conversation. This trip will forever impact you that you won't stop talking about it. When talking about it with friends and family it will never fail to bring a smile to your face and will leave you asking yourself, "When can I go back?" It's a wonderful way to serve those who need it the most. The people of the towns have left an enormous impact on you, but you have also impacted them by giving them love and the things they need.

Blue Missions- El Limon

During our time in the community of El Limon we were able to work side by side with the members to provide an aqueduct that would supply 92 families with clean water. While we were there we spoke with community members and were able to play dominos with them every night. The community became our family in that short span of 7 weeks, they welcomed us with open arms and it was a beautiful experience. El Limon is now my new campo home. BLUE Missions does an excellent job at using their motto "live in the moment."