Internship in Korea with Asia Internship Program
Tall buildings Tall buildings

Internship in Korea with Asia Internship Program

A summer in the "Seoul" of Korea

Last summer I went on vacation to South Korea to visit my best friend who was doing a study abroad at Seoul National University. When she showed me around the city I fell in love! Seoul was so different than my hometown back in Italy and I was pretty jealous of my friend that she got to live there. When I went back to school to start my next semester, I started looking for an internship in Korea because I wanted to gain some work experience. I came across AIP when I was searching for a finance internship in Korea. A big factor for me when going through AIP was having an internship role that matched my university criteria. I was receiving academic credit for the internship and I needed to have several documents signed from my host company. AIP and my host company were very quick to organize these things for me, as well as helping me with my visa. I'm kind of an anxious person so I was a bit nervous that these things wouldn't be solved. AIP was very reassuring and responsive to answer all of my questions. I couldn't say enough about my representative Malaika, who even took time on the weekends to keep me updated. The internship itself was very hands on! I was working with a small firm which gave me the chance to work on a lot of different projects. There were some times that I had some difficulties adjusting to the Korean work culture but I think that's normal. Halfway through the internship I started to feel more comfortable. All in all, I would definitely recommend AIP's Korea program if you're thinking about doing it.

Take me back!!

I think going out of my comfort zone to do a marketing internship in Korea was the best decision I had ever made. Coming from the United States, I had rarely ever left my country. I think my farthest vacation spot was to Rome for 3 weeks with my family when I was about 12 years old. That was a long time ago. Since then, I’ve only been doing short family trips to parts of Mexico and once to Canada. Regardless, I’ve never gotten the chance to get to know the different cultures and customs the rest of the world had to offer. When I started college 2 years ago, I decided to get into Business school to get into the marketing field. I enjoyed the idea of marketing because of its creative side. I have always liked arts, and I thought marketing was a great way to incorporate what I enjoy practically and maybe make a career out of it. College had introduced many courses that taught marketing in the international world, how different countries market products and services in different ways to please certain groups of people from different cultures. I found this very interesting, and thought about taking it a step further by applying to intern in SOUTH KOREA.

Take into consideration, I have never travelled further than Western Europe. I was absolutely terrified going all the way to Asia! I didn’t speak the language, I didn’t know the culture, I have never even stepped foot in the continent! But I took the chance anyways, and it was probably the best decision I have ever made. I interned in a digital marketing agency for 2 months in Seoul, learning more about Korea’s people and culture than I could ever have just simply living in the city. I assisted the creative team on potential strategies on how to market international products to the Korean society, shadowed the CEO and followed him to some client meetings, watch them pitch ideas and their work to potential clients, as well as given the opportunity to do many other things! I think my biggest issue during my internship was not really being able to communicate with everyone. Most people in Seoul speaks English, but almost 90% of everything is communicated and advertised in Korean. Regardless, everyone in the office was very accommodating and tried to speak English around me so I could take part in work and conversations.

Hands down, Korean food is AWESOME. Though I’m not too big a fan of Kimchi… and Kimchi soup… or anything pickled. I really like Bibimbab and am already missing it so much! Korean food isn’t so easy to find in Arizona. I also LOVE the whole Korean Barbecue experience! Though I think I prefer American style barbecues, the Korean version was very interesting and a lot more family oriented…

Lastly, I would like to thank AIP and their great services for accommodating me throughout my whole internship. They didn’t just find me an internship in Korea, they really made sure I had a good experience as well. As I was explaining earlier, the language barrier was really difficult for me to get past, but with their 24/7 emergency services I was always able to call them and get in contact with them if I ever got lost (which was many times) or if I had any other issues. They also always followed up on me to make sure I was doing well at work, made sure my accommodation was fine, and made sure I knew of the different events and activities happening around town. I definitely didn’t feel alone and lost even though I was living by myself in a completely different country. I 100000% recommend using AIP if you were considering interning abroad. Especially in Korea!

Amazing standard package, standardly amazing time

Finding a manufacturing internship and affordable accommodation in Korea is hard. That’s a fact I discovered while searching for an internship myself. I couldn’t find anything which completely suited my wishes and since I needed to stay with this particular company for 6 months, I really wanted to find a great company in which I could fit well.

I decided to get help from the internship placement company ‘Asia Internship Program’, which I never heard of before. I could simply not succeed in finding an internship company myself and finding accommodation seemed to be even harder since I wanted a private room to have my privacy and take my rest after the long working days.

I’ve chosen the standard package, because this included everything I needed: visa assistance, furnished accommodation, a transportation card, a SIM-card and networking events. I didn’t like the accommodation that much, because I expected it to be more deluxe for that price (although I didn’t know anything about renting in Korea, but I thought it would be cheaper). But it was okay to live in and close to my working place. For the rest of it: the assistance of AIP was awesome. The process worked really fast and before I knew it, they already sent me an email saying that they succeeded finding a place for me. Whenever I needed a person to talk to, they were there for me. I’d really recommend doing an internship through AIP if you’d have the chance.

My kimchi experience

It was my first time in Seoul and it wasn’t what I expected at all. Seoul is such a dynamic city and I loved everything about it. Every part of the city has their own feel to it and you can really see the difference in the environment with every couple train stops. Depending on what you feel like for the day you can be surrounded by tons of people in the lively area or just have a quiet time by yourself in a more relaxing part of town. There are just so much things you can do.

On the first day when I landed, I met with Zero who picked me up at the airport. She was very helpful. When I got to my accommodation, I found out that there was Internet cable but no router for Wi-Fi so she helped me by taking me to an electronic store nearby and helped me pick a router, which was good and affordable.

I did an internship in a digital marketing agency. The company is quite small but it is growing very fast so it was nice to see the growth of the company and how my work was contributing to the company’s success overall. Everyone was very friendly and they introduced me to Korean culture by offering me different food to try on a weekly basis. We made a game out of it where one of my colleagues made it his mission to freak me out which was quite hilarious. Shout out to Danny!!!

During my time there, I made friends with some of the other AIP interns. There wasn’t many events organized (maybe because I went during Dec-Feb) but they had a Facebook group that they introduced new interns coming into South Korea. I messaged some of them and had small meetups of our own. I became very good friends with one of them and found out she only lives a couple hours away from my town back home. I’ve already met up with her once after I came back.

Overall, the experience was absolutely amazing. It wasn’t a walk in a park settling-in in such a new place for me but with AIP’s help with the internship, accommodation, and onground support made it doable. Although it was hard sometimes, I enjoyed every bit of it! (apart from the super cold winter of course, that I can do without! :P).

Experience in Seoul

My time abroad was not always relaxing and tranquil like I had expected it to be. Instead, it was better because I actually lived in Seoul. I experienced the day-to-day ups and downs- something that would go unnoticed if I was just a tourist. I got to know the sounds, smells, and people of this beautiful city, which allowed me to make the most of this experience.

Wonderful!

My internship in Korea is just about to come to a close, I will be celebrating New Years then heading back to dreary Belfast. I have mostly good things to say about AIP, firstly the support I got before and throughout my internship was really reassuring and secondly Korea is a fab place (I had a few issues with my placement but I'll get into that later). Christmas in Korea was magical, it was in the minus degrees and that weirdly helped me get into the spirit and the decorations blew Belfast's out of the water, God only knows what NYE will bring! On to the placement, I had a big of a false start but loved it in the end praise be. When I first began I felt that I wasn't given enough direction and/ or enough tasks, I felt like a potted plant sitting there in the corner contributing nothing. I shot AIP an email asking if this was common place and within two or three days I was given interesting tasks that actually held some responsibility, complete 360.
I'm really treasuring my final few days here in Seoul, I'd love to come back one day!

Seoul for days

Seoul is a beautiful city, full of bars and rooftops that reward exploration, and has an amazing cultural and night life. Also, I had a challenging internship from which I gained valuable experience in equity research and corporate finance.

The only aspect of the AIP program that could use significant improvement is the accommodation. Not only is the location relatively far from work for most people, but also the facilities are in poor condition and but the staff were nice. One of the good things about the accommodation is that it makes it easier for everyone to meet and interact with other interns. Overall, it's a worthwhile experience!

Adventure of a lifetime!

My experience with Asia Internship Programme has definitely been an adventure to say the least, and an experience I would never change for the world. This opportunity allowed me to make the career change I needed and provided me with the right skills for an industry I wanted to work in. After graduating back in 2015 and feeling like I wasn’t on my career path for too long, it was hard to decide what step to take next. However, finding AIP online and eventually accepting my placement felt like the right decision to make...even if it meant travelling to the other end of the world.

I did a 3 month internship and I'm not going to lie, it's not always smooth sailing and you will come across a few bumps in the road along the way; but that's all part of moving abroad and it's part of the learning experience. If you ever need help, I find the best people to ask are your fellow interns, or any of us alumni interns who are still around. You not only gain work experience but you make some great pals, you have the freedom to explore a new country and you get to experience so much within such an exciting and diverse city as Seoul. Whether it's through the planned events with AIP or events and trips you plan yourself, you won't be bored during your time in Korea.

I would personally recommend finding somewhere closer to the city to live rather than staying at the accommodation provided as you can find decent and often cheaper places to live, and it will most likely be closer to your work placements.

Nevertheless, it is a great opportunity, but it's also what you make of it. If you're thinking about applying, make sure you know exactly what you want. Even if your placement isn't within the exact field you wanted to work in, this is your internship and you'll get what you want out of it, if you make it happen for yourself too.

Hands on and receptive program

Being in South Korea this past summer was definitely a life changing experience. It was quite difficult getting adjusted at the beginning but AIP staff helped me and my friend in the adjustment process. We received useful advice and they responded quickly to resolving our issues. I would recommend doing an internship through AIP because they won't leave you alone in the process. It was also wonderful that we had several activities planned that I really enjoyed, activities that alone would not have been the same because AIP guided us since they know the city of Seoul better than any of us foreigners did. Overall great team and I promise you won't regret it.