Internship in Korea with Asia Internship Program
Tall buildings Tall buildings

Internship in Korea with Asia Internship Program

Experience in Seoul

My time abroad was not always relaxing and tranquil like I had expected it to be. Instead, it was better because I actually lived in Seoul. I experienced the day-to-day ups and downs- something that would go unnoticed if I was just a tourist. I got to know the sounds, smells, and people of this beautiful city, which allowed me to make the most of this experience.

Wonderful!

My internship in Korea is just about to come to a close, I will be celebrating New Years then heading back to dreary Belfast. I have mostly good things to say about AIP, firstly the support I got before and throughout my internship was really reassuring and secondly Korea is a fab place (I had a few issues with my placement but I'll get into that later). Christmas in Korea was magical, it was in the minus degrees and that weirdly helped me get into the spirit and the decorations blew Belfast's out of the water, God only knows what NYE will bring! On to the placement, I had a big of a false start but loved it in the end praise be. When I first began I felt that I wasn't given enough direction and/ or enough tasks, I felt like a potted plant sitting there in the corner contributing nothing. I shot AIP an email asking if this was common place and within two or three days I was given interesting tasks that actually held some responsibility, complete 360.
I'm really treasuring my final few days here in Seoul, I'd love to come back one day!

Seoul for days

Seoul is a beautiful city, full of bars and rooftops that reward exploration, and has an amazing cultural and night life. Also, I had a challenging internship from which I gained valuable experience in equity research and corporate finance.

The only aspect of the AIP program that could use significant improvement is the accommodation. Not only is the location relatively far from work for most people, but also the facilities are in poor condition and but the staff were nice. One of the good things about the accommodation is that it makes it easier for everyone to meet and interact with other interns. Overall, it's a worthwhile experience!

Adventure of a lifetime!

My experience with Asia Internship Programme has definitely been an adventure to say the least, and an experience I would never change for the world. This opportunity allowed me to make the career change I needed and provided me with the right skills for an industry I wanted to work in. After graduating back in 2015 and feeling like I wasn’t on my career path for too long, it was hard to decide what step to take next. However, finding AIP online and eventually accepting my placement felt like the right decision to make...even if it meant travelling to the other end of the world.

I did a 3 month internship and I'm not going to lie, it's not always smooth sailing and you will come across a few bumps in the road along the way; but that's all part of moving abroad and it's part of the learning experience. If you ever need help, I find the best people to ask are your fellow interns, or any of us alumni interns who are still around. You not only gain work experience but you make some great pals, you have the freedom to explore a new country and you get to experience so much within such an exciting and diverse city as Seoul. Whether it's through the planned events with AIP or events and trips you plan yourself, you won't be bored during your time in Korea.

I would personally recommend finding somewhere closer to the city to live rather than staying at the accommodation provided as you can find decent and often cheaper places to live, and it will most likely be closer to your work placements.

Nevertheless, it is a great opportunity, but it's also what you make of it. If you're thinking about applying, make sure you know exactly what you want. Even if your placement isn't within the exact field you wanted to work in, this is your internship and you'll get what you want out of it, if you make it happen for yourself too.

Hands on and receptive program

Being in South Korea this past summer was definitely a life changing experience. It was quite difficult getting adjusted at the beginning but AIP staff helped me and my friend in the adjustment process. We received useful advice and they responded quickly to resolving our issues. I would recommend doing an internship through AIP because they won't leave you alone in the process. It was also wonderful that we had several activities planned that I really enjoyed, activities that alone would not have been the same because AIP guided us since they know the city of Seoul better than any of us foreigners did. Overall great team and I promise you won't regret it.