Live With and Teach English to a Family in France
ALIORE, Worldwide Workshops Header Image ALIORE, Worldwide Workshops Header Image

Live With and Teach English to a Family in France

Great experience!

I stayed with the sweetest family ever! They were so accommodating, especially of my toddler. I met the whole family (siblings, cousins, grandparents), friends etc and everyone was so nice. I got to experience the culture and learn the slangs that books don't teach you. In all of was wonderful. I look forward to doing something like this again.

• ALIORE, Worldwide Workshops responded to this review July 06, 2018 at 7:04 AM

Hello Frances! Thank you for your nice comment! We look forward seeing you again on our program, or maybe will you welcome a French tutor into your home to keep up with your French?!!Bye, Soizick

Excellent

Aliore offers a great opportunity to share the languages and culture, a true immersion in the French way of living.
Both my host families in Annecy and Velleron have been extremely generous and ready to introduce me to their friends and family members.
We shared precious times together in terms of our own life experiences, opinions, interests and emotions.
Thanks to their generosity I have visited the most amazing, spectacular locations around Annecy and Velleron.
I am extremely grateful !!!!
While both the host family and the volunteer enter in this adventure with an open heart and excitement, in my humble opinion a great deal of flexibility is needed to adapt to the different life styles of each host family. At any given moment this can be a challenge.
I also raccomand volunteers to be able to bear costs of living, including traveling from the village to town and food.
I am truly grateful to Aliore and both my host families for a wonderful experience!
THANK YOU!!

• ALIORE, Worldwide Workshops responded to this review July 06, 2018 at 7:05 AM

Hello Lori,

You have now experienced 5 differents families, you are a real professional language assistant!! Thanks! Hope to see you again soon!

The best experience abroad!

I highly recommend anyone who's looking for a rewarding cultural experience in France to do this program with Aliore! I was matched with a host family in the city of Montpellier. I had the best time ever being completely immersed in French culture and living like a local. All the while, helping with my host family's English and adjusting to their daily routines and lifestyle. My host family were extremely friendly, hospitable and kind-hearted that I adjusted with no problems at all. The program itself offers great flexibility as I had plenty of time to engage in cultural activities locally and explore nearby towns in the region. My French improved immensely too with self-study and constant exposure to the language and culture.

The application process was very simple and straight-forward thanks to Soizick, the program organiser. She was very patient, helpful and quick to reply to any questions I had about the program. It really took away any worries that I initially had. The program is definitely of great value and I got so much more out of it than I expected. I have many wonderful memories with my host family and many enriching cultural experiences that I'll never forget. The most important thing to remember is to be open-minded, flexible, and you get out what you put in!

Best vacation ever one month in France!

November 6, 2017 - December 3, 2017... Best vacation ever!!!
I decided that I wanted to travel to France for the month of November 2017 and spend some time in the Languedoc region. I have spent the last seven years traveling to France for a month or more at a time exploring different areas of the country. I had never used a placement agency before, and I came close to using one in the US but then I happened upon the Aliore website and decided to give it a try.
Soizick Chartier, one of the founding members of the organization, was my contact person. She was extremely attentive to my needs and my questions. It made me feel extremely comfortable. I sent her my bio with picture and received information about a possible placement in Nimes with a French teacher and her 16 year old daughter. I said YES! That first week of my time in Nimes, Soizick hosted a get together in Montpellier with the other students who were also on placement in that area. It was a nice way to meet fellow explorers and also to meet Soizick.
My family lives in Nimes. Nimes is a fantastic jumping off point for a lot of other great places to visit within an easy day’s train ride. I visited Toulouse for a weekend, Avignon 4 times, Montpellier many times (where I attended a French language school based on Soizick’s recommendation), Marseilles, and Carcassone to name a few.
My host family honestly could not have been more perfect. I fell in love with them! Because I am a “senior” my host gave me all the information to get a senior discount travel card for 80 euros that was good for a month. I must have logged in over twenty five train uses and only had to pay extra once.
The daughter in my family wanted to write a short film in English. She is interested in being a director and writer, so that was my English teaching assignment during my stay. We did not write a short film, we wrote a full length feature. Since we did not have time to finish, I am now skyping with her on a weekly basis to finish her wonderful script.
I speak Intermediate level French and was really challenged to keep up with my speaking and listening. Mothers and daughter have their own “short-hand” in any language and they kept me on my toes. I learned a tremendous amount and could NOT have enjoyed myself more. We went to the movies together, cafes, they took me to an amazing light festival in Montpellier and many other activities. They were both busy during the day, so I had all day to myself to explore and experience. They are currently trying to make plans to come visit me in Los Angeles this summer.
I am 66 years old…so if you are a senior (or not!) I highly highly encourage you to run, not walk to ALIORE if you want to have the experience of a lifetime.
It was my best vacation ever! Thank you Soizick and Aliore! I will do this again!

The first of many more to come -- placement in Montpellier October- December 2017

I was very lucky to be placed in the beautiful city of Montpellier in South France where I stayed for 8 weeks right in the city centre with a very friendly and highly-cultured family. The organiser of Aliore offered a lot of help throughout the whole application process to make sure I am 100% happy with my placement and I couldn't be happier with my stay there. Working with kids and teaching them English was also a great opportunity to engage in their culture and the French way of thinking and doing things. What's more, the family often took me to a variety of social, cultural and sports events including friends gathering, music concerts, hiking and day tours so that I could be fully immersed in every possible way. The Mediterranean city Montpellier had tons of entertainment to offer too ranging from museums and bookstores to film and wine festivals. Even the small towns and cities surrounding Montpellier such as Nimes, Avignon and Carcassonne are perfect weekend destinations for you to explore the rich French history and culture, and of course, the irresistibly delicious cuisine of Provence Region. Overall I highly recommend you to go with Aliore for your next exchange program, I really had the best time and in the meanwhile my French improved more than I ever expected. Thank you so much Aliore, I can't wait for my next adventure in France!

English assistant in France

Soizick was very helpful and efficient at organising a host-family for me and at responding to any queries that I had.
I was very happy that Soizick managed to find me a host-family in the city in which I had specified wanting to stay.
Soizick was keen to organise social activities with other people on the same program and staying in the local area, which was a nice touch.

• ALIORE, Worldwide Workshops responded to this review September 29, 2017 at 1:07 PM

Thanks Jonathan! Hope to see you again in the future!

Purposeful travelling all the way!!

My experience with Aliore was great! The family placement met my expectations, were relatable and kind. Communication and information from Aliore was very efficient. It was definitely an economic way of travelling while getting the best of a country. The flexibility offered by the program ensures that you do your role and get a cultural exchange at same time. Based on my experience of 4 weeks, i sure would recommend Aliore.

I would do it again in a heartbeat

This was hands down the best experience of my life. I was placed with a family near Paris, not in the south, so I was able to visit Paris as much as I wanted. My family is incredible. They made me feel so welcome in their home and included me in their family like one of their own. I was already fluent in French before coming, but this solidified my knowledge of day-to-day vocabulary you can really only learn by living in France. Some days we only spoke English. Others we only spoke French. Each day was different but I can see improvements in their English and my French! I cooked American food for them and they made French dishes. All in all, the experience is what you make of it. You can go out every day or spend your whole day in your room when you're not explicitly doing lessons, but in the end you will never have as good of an experience as you can if you immerse yourself in the culture and spend as much time with your family as possible, like I did. I gained so much out of this program, I would participate again in a heartbeat.

Tarbes 2016!

I feel truly fortunate to have had the most wonderful experience experiencing French life , family, friends and culture with a truly kind host! I found the experience remarkable and would love to do it all again in the year ahead if I am able which says it all regarding my expereince of the programme!

• ALIORE, Worldwide Workshops responded to this review December 30, 2016 at 3:13 AM

Thank you Andre! It was also great to meet you in Montpellier! I have many more great hostfamilies who would be so happy to welcome someone positive like you! We'll keep in touch! Bye, Soizick

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

With Aliore, I spent 4 weeks on the Mediterranean Coast with the most incredible family! I couldn't have gotten a better family. They made me feel so welcome and we'd do so many things together as family outings. They even went out of their way to make me feel more comfortable like when they realized that I really strongly dislike seafood (I tried to hide it but I guess it was a bit noticeable) and they subtly stopped cooking so much seafood for the rest of the 4 weeks which is one of those little things that just make an experience so much more enjoyable. The area was absolutely stunning and there was so much to do and see! I felt completely welcome and safe in the area and even strangers in the city couldn't have been more kind. I was able to use the volunteer hours to fulfill my university requirement since Aliore is a nonprofit, and for my university I was even able to use the 4 weeks as study abroad credit. As well as improve my french while I was there! There isn't one thing I would change about the experience and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Excellent time in Montpellier

The language assistant program with ALIORE was an amazing experience. It allowed me to delve into southern french culture while offering lessons in my own native language in exchange. The family I was placed with was a perfect match and living in the downtown core was incredible. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone in search of a long and meaningful vacation!

Teaching English Abroad

I had the time of my life while in Paris, thanks to Aliore and its director Soizick who gave me the best customer experience I have ever had. If I had any questions or needed support she was always there to assist me; first she carefully selected a host family for me and made sure I was OK all along, a big THANK YOU to her!

Since everything was well taken care of by Aliore, I didnt have to worry about anything else and just concentrate in learning French, which happened to be the main purpose of my trip. I was able to go from 30% to 70%.

I would definitely recommend this program over any similar program! Traveling, learning a new language and living abroad is such a great experience, I would recommend everyone to do this at least once in their life time.

Teaching English in France

I stayed with a family on the immediate outskirts of old Montpellier. My family were very welcoming and I was invited to participate in all their activities. As a result I met a very varied group of interesting locals and managed to gain an insight into everyday French life. I taught both a teenager and adult so very varied levels of English ability. Taking a variety of resources as conversation starters with you is useful. It is challenging living in someone else's space for four weeks. It is essential to try and develop a good rapport with the family before arriving to try and make sure you will be compatible and that your expectations are the same. This experience certainly gets you beyond the usual travel experience!

A once in a lifetime experience!

I had such a glorious month with a terrific and caring French family. I would highly recommend this program. It is affordable and well organized. They work hard to accommodate your needs and requests. It was so fun helping others perfect their English whilst I practiced my French. We are now lifelong friends! How can you beat that?

Teaching french in the alps

I taught English in Haute-Savoie, which was a very eye-opening and positive experience. My host family was fun, generous and welcoming, they treated me as one of the family and included me in family outings and day-to-day activities. I very happy that the parents made a special attempt to introduce me to local culture (skiing, local and regional French cuisine, sights in the region etc.)

I improved my knowledge of French incredibly, mostly in terms of speaking, listening and everyday words and jargon. The children (early to mid teens) were reluctant to sit down and study English however when speaking English with them in everyday and family life they were always eager to 'show off' and join in, strengthening their skills. The most difficult times were when no one was home during the weekdays, usually I would travel into town or nearby areas to explore/see sights. Also I found in my area there wasn't much opportunity to meet people my age (early 20s).