Dental Healthcare – Dentistry observation and experience
Aldeas De Paz - Peace Villages Foundation Header Image Aldeas De Paz - Peace Villages Foundation Header Image

Dental Healthcare – Dentistry observation and experience

It was an absolute blast!

A few weeks from when I wrote this, I stepped on to a small budget airliner and made my way across the Caribbean to the Dominican Republic. Before this experience I had never left the United States, and I was unsure what my time in Samana would be like. Needless to say, it was an absolute blast.
I volunteered in a small dental clinic in Las Pascualas, a small, sleepy city on the outskirts of Samana. Volunteering in the clinic opened my eyes to some of the difficulties associated with public health care in a developing country, and it allowed me to look at public service through a different perspective. The dentist I was under was very nice, and incredibly accomidating; an absolute joy to volunteer under.

This trip also allowed me to meet people from around the globe, and develop friendships with people who I would have never come across in daily life. The other volunteers really helped make this trip worthwhile, and I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent with each one of them.

Overall, Aldeas de Paz is a great organization to be apart of. The volunteers work hard to help the people of Samana, and the program director, Manfred, is very enabling. He will go out of his way to make sure you are getting the most out of your experience. I stayed in Samana for 28 days, and the time has honestly gone by very quickly. I have learned more than I had hoped to on this adventure, and I definitely recommend it to others.

An eye opening journey!

I chose Aldeas de Paz as my first trip out of my home country the United
States and I am so glad that I did. It was an eye opening journey that
taught me a lot about the experiences of those living in a third world
setting and a lot about myself as well.  I worked in the dental clinic of
the hospital in Samana. I was given the amazing opportunity to work as a
dental assistant there within the first three days of my arrival which was
more than I was expecting! Everything here is learned in a very hands on
manner, so that even in just a month of being here I feel that I have
learned and done so much! The staff of the hospital, and all the local
people of Samana for that matter, were very patient with me and accepting
as I don't speak very much Spanish. Having to adapt to the language and
cultural differences only made the experience richer. The rest of the
volunteers were also an enormous help in getting me comfortable in the new
environment and seeing that leaving my comfort zone was the most valuable
part of this journey. I will never forget the people I met here. I made
friends from around the globe, and I will carry these friendships with me
the same as my experiences in the Dominican Republic. Overall it was an
amazing adventure and has only fueled my fire to experience more of the
world! I would definitely recommend Aldeas de Paz to anyone looking for the same.