Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia

Amazeballs!

It was an amazing experience, I learnt so much in the medical field and also about Zambia and it's culture. The volunteers, staff and locals were all very welcoming and made it unforgetable! omgamazeballs.

Great Organisation

African impact has been a truly rewarding and amazing experience that i am so thankful i can be apart of. I am lucky to have done a fair bit of travelling already so when i decided to do volunteering this appealed to me massively and it didnt dissapoint, the program gives you lots of responsibility so that you feel you are contributing lots though at the same time you feel so comfortable. I definitely would love to come back again and would recommend the medical and community program to anyone. This program has boosted my confidence in so many ways and motivated me to come back to Africa as it definitely holds a special place in my heart, Zambia is amazing!

Summary of Volunteering at Livingstone

I really enjoyed volunteering and visiting Livingstone for the past two weeks. I met fantastic, helpful and passionate people here. Moreover, I felt I contributed to the development of the community here at Livingstone. I would definitely come back and stay for longer. The experience opened my mind and reaffirmed my passion for being a professional worker in the health field.

The Medical Program Changed My Life

I came into this program looking for some hands-on experience in the medical field. What I got out of it was so much more than I could have ever dreamed. When you wake up in the morning, I always do so with a smile because I know that today I'll be able to help someone that actually needs it. For a long time now I've been on the fence about whether or not I should commit down the medical path. After my time here on this program, I can say with confidence that I'm pretty sure I might become a doctor. The satisfaction of helping someone is almost addictive, and now I've been introduced I don't think I'll be able to stop now! But the medical activities aren't all that was great about the program. The afternoon projects were also a blast for me! Everything from math club to gender-based violence was extremely enriching for me. Interacting with the locals were always a privilege and pleasure, and I'll be sad that I won't be able to do so in 24 hours. I'm feeling pretty down now that I have to leave but I'm glad that I even got the opportunity to come here for 2 weeks and experience everything that I did. I have no regrets except for maybe booking to stay longer.

Best Journey of my LIFE!!!

Coming to Zambia and working on medical project was more than I expected it would be. This experience was the best thing that has happened to me. I know it sounds cheesy but I wouldn't trade this for anything. The staff at African Impact was very helpful and answered any question I had. They work together so that you can have a memorable experience. I didn't feel homesick at all and I was worried I would. I got to meet so many wonderful people from all over the world and we shared our experiences with each other.

• African Impact responded to this review July 10, 2018 at 4:58 AM

Hi Yatin,

Thank you for joining us on project, and for sharing your experience. We're so glad you enjoyed your time! Hopefully we'll see you in the future.

The African Impact team

Coming Alongside

If you are looking into volunteering with African Impact, you probably share my desire to do something bigger than yourself during this life. And that's wonderful! This is the place to do it, no matter which project you choose to be a part of. AI has done a great job of coming alongside Africans in the mission to create sustainable change within precious communities. I am so grateful for the humble approach and the sincere love for the people, and I look forward to returning as soon as possible.

• African Impact responded to this review July 10, 2018 at 5:02 AM

Hey Katherine,

It was awesome to have you on project, and thank you for sharing your experience. Keep us up to date with your next adventure and hopefully we'll cross paths again in the future.

The African Impact team

Amazing Experience

My three week experience with African Impact was one I will never forget. The African Impact staff were welcoming, friendly, and went above and beyond to make our volunteering experience enjoyable, and fun. The project structure was fantastic, we got a wide range of cultural experiences. The staff were very supportive with project involvement. Thank you so much to all the staff at African Impact for making my time here an unforgettable experience.

Super Fantastico!

This program has been amazingly fun! I had loved it more and more each day! A highlight of my life for sure :) The project is incredibly beneficial for the communities, and the facilitating staff were excellenté!

African Impact experience

I had the best time volunteering with African impact in Livingstone, such an eyeopening and life changing experience for me. Having the opportunity to be welcomed into the community is something will never forget! I'll definitely be back again to experience more.

Medical project Zambia

This project fulfilled all my expectations and more. You are surrounded by many great people from around the world while volunteering who are all doing different projects. I started this project with a limited medical background. From the start of this project i always felt welcomed and experience never became an issue. I was doing so many things on the medical project, from cleaning and dressing wounds, weighing babies, sorting pain medication to teaching locals how to lift properly!
All I can really say is If you have an interest in medicine, nursing etc this project is amazing to take part in. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

3 weeks on medical

I had a really great experience with African Impact! The program is awesome and you get to see a lot of very cool things on medical, including being able to see a lot of the villages and how people in Livingstone live first-hand. I would recommend to volunteer for no shorter than 3 weeks, as it takes a few weeks to get settled in and get the hang of things.

Amazing!

I really enjoyed my time here with Africa Impact. I was impressed with the seriousness of the work being done here. The staff is so friendly that you feel home within a few days living at the Backpackers. I stayed here for a month but I wish I could stay longer. The expression we say in Portuguese applies to my experience here: "Saudades Sim, Remorso Jamais", meaning I will miss my time here but I do not have any regrets because I gave all I had to contribute to this work.

Thoroughly enjoyed my time here!

I am so glad that I could spend time working here with African Impact. My experience here has made me think a lot about what impact I can have moving forward working with my university as well as my future career. I am grateful for all the amazing volunteers I have had the chance to meet here as well as the beautiful people of Livingstone. I hope that we can stay in touch and continue working together.

My month with African Impact

Working with African Impact was one of the best decisions that I could have made! It was so cool to experience Africa from the viewpoint of a medical volunteer. Going into the villages and meeting people in personal situations made the whole experience much more meaningful. African Impact is a great organization to work with and they are so willing to work with you to help you have the best experience possible.

You can't go wrong with African Impact

The staff is amazing, the volunteers are amazing, the work is amazing. I have not heard of a better, more hands on volunteer program (especially for medical volunteers) and I would highly recommend working with African Impact to anyone and everyone. I did not expect to enjoy the experience as much as I did. It was life-changing to say the least!!

4 week trip

I have loved volunteering with African Impact. These past 4 weeks have been some of the best in my life. Everything about this place has exceeded my expectations by far! The projects, the people, the volunteers and staff are all amazing and I would recommend this trip to anyone! 10 out of 10.

Unbelievable experience

I can't be happier with my time volunteering with African Impact. I didn't have any expectations going into it, but they would've blown them away if I had. I had fun and I felt like I really made a difference. I am excited to go back and tell friends and family about my stay, and hopefully I can inspire others to help out as well.

Medical internship African Impact

Working with African impact has been such a great experience. I was able to meet and work with so many great people from different countries around the world. I worked on the medical project and it was so cool to go out into the community and provide a little bit of medical support to those that needed it. I would definitely recommend this experience to others that are looking for a life-changing experience.

Medical team review

Once again incredibly impressed by African Impact and their program. The team leadership and organization is very well put together. I didn't think my trip this time could have been better than last but boy I was wrong. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a volunteer abroad experience.

Medical volunteer review

My time here in Livingstone has been amazing. I can honestly say that I learnt more in one month as a medical Volunteer, than one year studying at University. The work was confronting but extremely educational and necessary. I believe that everyone should be exposed to these real living environments in order to understand why programs such as this exist. The amount of community involvement was perfect alongside the medical work. I very much enjoyed spending time with the local children, their energy and willingness to learn never failed to impress me. In the volunteer house, i was always surrounded by fun and like minded people. Livingstone is such a beautiful place that you cant help but fall in love with it, and now that I'm leaving... I know that I'll be back one day.

Volunteering with African Impact - medical project

Volunteering on the medical project is one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in my life. I learned so much (mostly through experience) and got completely immersed in the Zambian culture and lifestyle. I got a better understanding of poverty and the vast number of problems that come from it for example small wounds not being able to heal because of lack of nutrition or education then developing into much more serious problems.

Staying in the volunteer house was also a great experience, delicious food is provided 3 times a day 5 times a week. The staff and other volunteers are always very kind and helpful. There are plenty of things to do in Livingstone and it's hard to get bored with all the options available, seeing the Victoria Falls or having a relaxing day by the pool.

I can definitely recommend volunteering with African Impact!

Health care project

Whilst I have no experience of working in a medical capacity I chose to volunteer on the medical project as I felt this would give me the opportunity to see what real life was like for the local communities and experience their culture... Whilst Zambia is one of the poorest countries in the world I found that every home we visited on the project we were met with respect and warmness. Whilst the project does make a positive contribution to the life of those who cannot afford to pay for required medical assistance it was at times frustrating to see people suffering and living daily in pain through lack of resources in the form of medication, resources and funds... (one lady in particular troubled me. She had deep wounds caused by infected ulcers over the lower parts of her legs, to treat and heal these wounds would cost in the region of 200 British pounds). Overall it was a very rewarding experience and one that I would recommend.

4 weeks stay

Beyond my expectations, everybody is really helpful and friendly. Projects are diverse, well thought out and organised. A lot of activities available. Would definitely recommend and definitely coming back!

My amazing volunteer project

It was one of the best things i have ever done in my live. Get in contact with people from all over the world. I got the change to learn and practice my english-knowledge and also things about Medical, interaction with children and to be creative with using things like the eco-bricks at the building Project.

Having a nice time

I have had a great time! Whilst I was here I learnt so much - not only from the medical project but also the variety of afternoon projects I was able to try! Living in the volunteer house felt like one big family!