Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia

Medical Team Review

Once again incredibly impressed by African Impact and their program. The team leadership and organization is very well put together. I didn't think my trip this time could have been better than last but boy I was wrong. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a volunteer abroad experience.

Medical volunteer review

My time here in Livingstone has been amazing. I can honestly say that I learnt more in one month as a medical Volunteer, than one year studying at University. The work was confronting but extremely educational and necessary. I believe that everyone should be exposed to these real living environments in order to understand why programs such as this exist. The amount of community involvement was perfect alongside the medical work. I very much enjoyed spending time with the local children, their energy and willingness to learn never failed to impress me. In the volunteer house, i was always surrounded by fun and like minded people. Livingstone is such a beautiful place that you cant help but fall in love with it, and now that I'm leaving... I know that I'll be back one day.

Volunteering with African Impact - medical project

Volunteering on the medical project is one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in my life. I learned so much (mostly through experience) and got completely immersed in the Zambian culture and lifestyle. I got a better understanding of poverty and the vast number of problems that come from it for example small wounds not being able to heal because of lack of nutrition or education then developing into much more serious problems.

Staying in the volunteer house was also a great experience, delicious food is provided 3 times a day 5 times a week. The staff and other volunteers are always very kind and helpful. There are plenty of things to do in Livingstone and it's hard to get bored with all the options available, seeing the Victoria Falls or having a relaxing day by the pool.

I can definitely recommend volunteering with African Impact!

Health care project

Whilst I have no experience of working in a medical capacity I chose to volunteer on the medical project as I felt this would give me the opportunity to see what real life was like for the local communities and experience their culture... Whilst Zambia is one of the poorest countries in the world I found that every home we visited on the project we were met with respect and warmness. Whilst the project does make a positive contribution to the life of those who cannot afford to pay for required medical assistance it was at times frustrating to see people suffering and living daily in pain through lack of resources in the form of medication, resources and funds... (one lady in particular troubled me. She had deep wounds caused by infected ulcers over the lower parts of her legs, to treat and heal these wounds would cost in the region of 200 British pounds). Overall it was a very rewarding experience and one that I would recommend.

4 weeks stay

Beyond my expectations, everybody is really helpful and friendly. Projects are diverse, well thought out and organised. A lot of activities available. Would definitely recommend and definitely coming back!

My amazing volunteer project

It was one of the best things i have ever done in my live. Get in contact with people from all over the world. I got the change to learn and practice my english-knowledge and also things about Medical, interaction with children and to be creative with using things like the eco-bricks at the building Project.

Having a nice time

I have had a great time! Whilst I was here I learnt so much - not only from the medical project but also the variety of afternoon projects I was able to try! Living in the volunteer house felt like one big family!

Volunteering

I was four weeks at the Livingstone backpackers place working for the happy African impact, and I had a great time. Learning a lot about the locals and the work environment, meeting awesome people and develop myself as a nurse.

Best way to experience Africa

For the 2 weeks, I provided medical help in the morning from Monday to Friday, helped out in local school in the afternoon, and traveled around during weekends. It is the best way to experience Africa

Medical project

The project was well organized. We went to do the HBC, as well as worked in two clinics. The schedule was set reasonable It made you work effectively but not too tired. And the work was flexible, if you have other plans or ideas, you can talk to project manager, they'll try to make a balance.

Review

i enjoyed my stay in Zambia. the projects were often really interesting, but sometimes i had the problem that we were not prepared well enough for what came actually towards us. on the medical project i really saw that what i do has an impact and the project s necessary, but i think it is not sustainable, because we do all the work by ourselves and they don't really learn how to help themselves.

• African Impact responded to this review October 05, 2017 at 4:01 AM

Hi Sheena,

We very much enjoyed welcoming you to our Medical and Community Development project in Livingstone and hope that you had an overall positive experience.

We thank you for your contribution to our program during the weeks you spent with us. We are steadily trying to educate and raise awareness of health issues among the local Zambian people while acknowledging that this is a long term commitment, that needs to constantly evolve. It is a delicate and complex process, while respecting a culture to bring any sustainable change. With resources lacking and many people living in poverty, this unfortunately isn’t going to be an easy nor quick process.

With volunteers like yourself and the permanent team, we are constantly developing our projects at grassroots level. Some example of recent additions include making health cards to give to patients and running free training sessions with the local caregivers. These have been positive steps while recognising that there is still so much to be accomplished alongside the Zambian people.

Best wishes for all your future endeavours Sheena, and thank you for being so passionate about public health in Zambia and beyond.

The African Impact Livingstone Team

5 weeks in Zambia

I had a really good time in the Livingstone Backpackers. The location is beautiful and the project was amazing. I spent lots of time with the local people and learned about their culture, language and daily life. Also the time with the other volunteers was great with the beautiful evenings on the falls, the exciting hours in devils pool and the relaxing time in the backpackers.

Liam's African Imapact

My experience here in Zambia has been an amazing experience with amazing people experiencing new cultures and making an impact within the local community. African Impact has been an absolute epic adventure and I have made friends for life along with knowing I've made an Impact here.

Medical & community - Livingstone, 2017

For medical you mainly do two things: home based care and clinics. For HBC it is very engaging as you get to go to multiple communities and then see the same people over weeks to see how they improved. Do note that if you want to go to more communities or if you want to stay in the same ones so you can see the same people you have to ask them for it. Clinics are a bit more disorganized and, often, the nurses seem more annoyed than happy that we are there. One thing that is really great about it is that every week they do baby weighing which can be a very fun experience.

Medical project Livingstone 2017

We had an amazing time on our trip with African Impact. Home based care was very engaging, but the clinics were a little disorganized and sometimes it felt like they did not want our help. Being based out of the Livingstone Backpackers was great because they were very helpful with planning our activities on the weekends and all the staff was so nice. There was plenty of space in the house and we were able to use their facilities, such as the swimming pool and bar.

Beautiful experience!

I loved to stay here for 6 weeks. 3 weeks teaching project and 3 weeks medical project. Lovely people, it feels like home for me now. I will come back for sure!

Impact Africa - Livingstone

On entry into the program, it is natural to observe and learn from the surrounding before making comments. there were aspects about the program that I particularly enjoyed especially meeting others from different parts of the world. I have enjoyed meeting members in the community although I feel if I had more time, this would be better in order to really integrate into the community. Overall good experience!

Meaningful and enjoyable experience

I enjoy everyday here in Livingstone not only because the people here are friendly and supportive but also that I feel I can really make some differences here. Also, by volunteering here, I get to meet so many warmhearted volunteers from all around the world. It has been an exciting experience.

Would definitely recommend this project

I really enjoyed my time in Livingstone with African Impact. The medical project was so interesting as we got to visit people in their homes every morning and see how they live, and over the weeks we were able to see that the care we were giving was making a difference. The afternoon projects were very diverse so every day was different. Livingstone is a great place to stay as well as there is plenty to do

Happy place

During the time I spent here I have experienced the time of my life. I feel like I have actually helped a lot of people. The work I've done here has been beneficial and rewarding. Its been an unforgettable experience that I will take back with me. Seeing the differences of cultures and wealth have humbled me and made me a better person.

Medical project

Everyone should try Home based care! It is really much fun to walk around the villages, talk to the local people and to see how they are living here in Zambia. The care givers are also really nice and fun.

6 week stay

I really enjoyed my time spent with African Impact, I really didn't want to go back home. The only thing is that I would have liked more focus on the volunteering; such as more time spent on project rather than down time before morning project, between morning and afternoon project, and before dinner.

Making impact

I loved my stay in Livingstone with Africa Impact. It is a very nice combination between making a difference and having fun. The days were full with allot of variety. In the morning your own project and in the afternoon different kinds of projects.

Brilliant experience!

I spent 8 weeks in Livingstone and cannot recommend it enough! Right from the start all the African Impact staff were so helpful, accommodating and friendly to every volunteer. The medical placement was very interesting, and the patients we helped were so appreciative. The community project was also excellent and included teaching in schools, playing sport with local kids, interacting with the residents of the Old Peoples Home and helping at the farm. I have enjoyed my time in Livingstone so much, I definitely want to come back asap!

Medical volunteer in Livingstone

Excellent experience. The staff and coordinators are very helpful and extremely welcoming. The projects focus on sustainability and are overall impactful. The community is great and appreciates African Impact's help. I felt very safe and was never threatened at the placement. Best global volunteer program I have been with.