Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia

Having a nice time

I have had a great time! Whilst I was here I learnt so much - not only from the medical project but also the variety of afternoon projects I was able to try! Living in the volunteer house felt like one big family!

Volunteering

I was four weeks at the Livingstone backpackers place working for the happy African impact, and I had a great time. Learning a lot about the locals and the work environment, meeting awesome people and develop myself as a nurse.

Best way to experience Africa

For the 2 weeks, I provided medical help in the morning from Monday to Friday, helped out in local school in the afternoon, and traveled around during weekends. It is the best way to experience Africa

Medical project

The project was well organized. We went to do the HBC, as well as worked in two clinics. The schedule was set reasonable It made you work effectively but not too tired. And the work was flexible, if you have other plans or ideas, you can talk to project manager, they'll try to make a balance.

Review

i enjoyed my stay in Zambia. the projects were often really interesting, but sometimes i had the problem that we were not prepared well enough for what came actually towards us. on the medical project i really saw that what i do has an impact and the project s necessary, but i think it is not sustainable, because we do all the work by ourselves and they don't really learn how to help themselves.

• African Impact responded to this review October 05, 2017 at 4:01 AM

Hi Sheena,

We very much enjoyed welcoming you to our Medical and Community Development project in Livingstone and hope that you had an overall positive experience.

We thank you for your contribution to our program during the weeks you spent with us. We are steadily trying to educate and raise awareness of health issues among the local Zambian people while acknowledging that this is a long term commitment, that needs to constantly evolve. It is a delicate and complex process, while respecting a culture to bring any sustainable change. With resources lacking and many people living in poverty, this unfortunately isn’t going to be an easy nor quick process.

With volunteers like yourself and the permanent team, we are constantly developing our projects at grassroots level. Some example of recent additions include making health cards to give to patients and running free training sessions with the local caregivers. These have been positive steps while recognising that there is still so much to be accomplished alongside the Zambian people.

Best wishes for all your future endeavours Sheena, and thank you for being so passionate about public health in Zambia and beyond.

The African Impact Livingstone Team

5 weeks in Zambia

I had a really good time in the Livingstone Backpackers. The location is beautiful and the project was amazing. I spent lots of time with the local people and learned about their culture, language and daily life. Also the time with the other volunteers was great with the beautiful evenings on the falls, the exciting hours in devils pool and the relaxing time in the backpackers.

Liam's African Imapact

My experience here in Zambia has been an amazing experience with amazing people experiencing new cultures and making an impact within the local community. African Impact has been an absolute epic adventure and I have made friends for life along with knowing I've made an Impact here.

Medical & community - Livingstone, 2017

For medical you mainly do two things: home based care and clinics. For HBC it is very engaging as you get to go to multiple communities and then see the same people over weeks to see how they improved. Do note that if you want to go to more communities or if you want to stay in the same ones so you can see the same people you have to ask them for it. Clinics are a bit more disorganized and, often, the nurses seem more annoyed than happy that we are there. One thing that is really great about it is that every week they do baby weighing which can be a very fun experience.

Medical project Livingstone 2017

We had an amazing time on our trip with African Impact. Home based care was very engaging, but the clinics were a little disorganized and sometimes it felt like they did not want our help. Being based out of the Livingstone Backpackers was great because they were very helpful with planning our activities on the weekends and all the staff was so nice. There was plenty of space in the house and we were able to use their facilities, such as the swimming pool and bar.

Beautiful experience!

I loved to stay here for 6 weeks. 3 weeks teaching project and 3 weeks medical project. Lovely people, it feels like home for me now. I will come back for sure!

Impact Africa - Livingstone

On entry into the program, it is natural to observe and learn from the surrounding before making comments. there were aspects about the program that I particularly enjoyed especially meeting others from different parts of the world. I have enjoyed meeting members in the community although I feel if I had more time, this would be better in order to really integrate into the community. Overall good experience!

Meaningful and enjoyable experience

I enjoy everyday here in Livingstone not only because the people here are friendly and supportive but also that I feel I can really make some differences here. Also, by volunteering here, I get to meet so many warmhearted volunteers from all around the world. It has been an exciting experience.

Would definitely recommend this project

I really enjoyed my time in Livingstone with African Impact. The medical project was so interesting as we got to visit people in their homes every morning and see how they live, and over the weeks we were able to see that the care we were giving was making a difference. The afternoon projects were very diverse so every day was different. Livingstone is a great place to stay as well as there is plenty to do

Happy place

During the time I spent here I have experienced the time of my life. I feel like I have actually helped a lot of people. The work I've done here has been beneficial and rewarding. Its been an unforgettable experience that I will take back with me. Seeing the differences of cultures and wealth have humbled me and made me a better person.

Medical project

Everyone should try Home based care! It is really much fun to walk around the villages, talk to the local people and to see how they are living here in Zambia. The care givers are also really nice and fun.

6 week stay

I really enjoyed my time spent with African Impact, I really didn't want to go back home. The only thing is that I would have liked more focus on the volunteering; such as more time spent on project rather than down time before morning project, between morning and afternoon project, and before dinner.

Making impact

I loved my stay in Livingstone with Africa Impact. It is a very nice combination between making a difference and having fun. The days were full with allot of variety. In the morning your own project and in the afternoon different kinds of projects.

Brilliant experience!

I spent 8 weeks in Livingstone and cannot recommend it enough! Right from the start all the African Impact staff were so helpful, accommodating and friendly to every volunteer. The medical placement was very interesting, and the patients we helped were so appreciative. The community project was also excellent and included teaching in schools, playing sport with local kids, interacting with the residents of the Old Peoples Home and helping at the farm. I have enjoyed my time in Livingstone so much, I definitely want to come back asap!

Medical volunteer in Livingstone

Excellent experience. The staff and coordinators are very helpful and extremely welcoming. The projects focus on sustainability and are overall impactful. The community is great and appreciates African Impact's help. I felt very safe and was never threatened at the placement. Best global volunteer program I have been with.

Amazing stay in Livingstone

A truly life changing experience in Livingstone which I would highly recommend to anyone. From the projects to the people you meet, both volunteers and locals, you will leave feeling rewarded and anxious to come back.

Medical project, Livingstone

It has been one of my best experiences! Through volunteering you get to know the people and the culture here in Livingstone. I enjoyed the medical project, it gives you a unique opportunity to interact with the people in the different communities though home based care and clinic work. I would really recommend the project and the place!

Livingstone medical volunteer

The trip and volunteer experience was everything that I could have hoped for and more. Volunteering here in Livingstone was one of the best experience of my life. From the project coordinators to community liaisons to other volunteers to the staff everyone was very friendly and helped to make my experience as amazing as it was. Having the balance of the medical project in the morning and different community projects in the afternoon was really nice because then I got to experience different parts of the community and to feel like I was having an impact in more than one way. I know that my time here will influence me in ways that I do not even know yet and I will never forget all of the wonderful memories I made here in Zambia.

African Impact - Livingstone

My stay in Livingstone has been better than I could have imagined. I instantly felt at home and made friends quickly. I was on the medical project and I really felt like I was making an impact on the patients we saw. I was never bored, as we had a wide variety of afternoon projects to choose from. We also had plenty of down time to do whatever we wanted. It was so much fun exploring Livingstone and the amazing culture. I was originally booked for 4 weeks but I enjoyed it so much I had to extend another 2 weeks. Even with my extra time I didn't think I stayed long enough, and I'll definitely come back again. I've made memories I will never forget, and I'll be counting down the days until I can come back!

My volunteer trip in Zambia

African Impact is a wonderful program that offers a well- rounded volunteer work focused trip. Not only was I able to participate in volunteer projects, but I was able to experience a deep immersion into Zambian culture and meet fellow volunteers from around the world. In addition, the program allows and encourages visiting the natural wonders, like the Victoria Falls, that this country has to offer. I definitely look forward to returning not only to Zambia, but to volunteering with African Impact again. This was an unforgettable trip filled with memories that I will always cherish.

Amazing volunteer experience in lovely Zambia

It's hard to give constructive criticism as I enjoyed my time in Livingstone so much. It was my fourth time volunteering in Africa (the first time with African Impact) and this volunteer experience is by far the best organized one. Everything we did felt important and thought through. The staff is absolutely amazing, everyone is so friendly. I volunteered for six weeks. First I was a bit worried about staying at the same place for that long as I'm used to traveling around a lot, but the truth is, I never got bored. Doing different projects in the afternoon definitely helped that. Zambia is the 12th country I visit in Southern and Eastern Africa, and I fell madly in love with the country. It's my favourite country! The people I got to meet through the projects made a huge impact on me, and I think that was my favourite part of the volunteer placement – that not only did I make an impact, but I was also so inspired and affected by the people I met.