Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia

Best way to experience Africa

For the 2 weeks, I provided medical help in the morning from Monday to Friday, helped out in local school in the afternoon, and traveled around during weekends. It is the best way to experience Africa

Meaningful and enjoyable experience

I enjoy everyday here in Livingstone not only because the people here are friendly and supportive but also that I feel I can really make some differences here. Also, by volunteering here, I get to meet so many warmhearted volunteers from all around the world. It has been an exciting experience.

Medical volunteer in Livingstone

Excellent experience. The staff and coordinators are very helpful and extremely welcoming. The projects focus on sustainability and are overall impactful. The community is great and appreciates African Impact's help. I felt very safe and was never threatened at the placement. Best global volunteer program I have been with.

Amazing stay in Livingstone

A truly life changing experience in Livingstone which I would highly recommend to anyone. From the projects to the people you meet, both volunteers and locals, you will leave feeling rewarded and anxious to come back.

Medical project, Livingstone

It has been one of my best experiences! Through volunteering you get to know the people and the culture here in Livingstone. I enjoyed the medical project, it gives you a unique opportunity to interact with the people in the different communities though home based care and clinic work. I would really recommend the project and the place!

Livingstone medical volunteer

The trip and volunteer experience was everything that I could have hoped for and more. Volunteering here in Livingstone was one of the best experience of my life. From the project coordinators to community liaisons to other volunteers to the staff everyone was very friendly and helped to make my experience as amazing as it was. Having the balance of the medical project in the morning and different community projects in the afternoon was really nice because then I got to experience different parts of the community and to feel like I was having an impact in more than one way. I know that my time here will influence me in ways that I do not even know yet and I will never forget all of the wonderful memories I made here in Zambia.

African Impact - Livingstone

My stay in Livingstone has been better than I could have imagined. I instantly felt at home and made friends quickly. I was on the medical project and I really felt like I was making an impact on the patients we saw. I was never bored, as we had a wide variety of afternoon projects to choose from. We also had plenty of down time to do whatever we wanted. It was so much fun exploring Livingstone and the amazing culture. I was originally booked for 4 weeks but I enjoyed it so much I had to extend another 2 weeks. Even with my extra time I didn't think I stayed long enough, and I'll definitely come back again. I've made memories I will never forget, and I'll be counting down the days until I can come back!

My volunteer trip in Zambia

African Impact is a wonderful program that offers a well- rounded volunteer work focused trip. Not only was I able to participate in volunteer projects, but I was able to experience a deep immersion into Zambian culture and meet fellow volunteers from around the world. In addition, the program allows and encourages visiting the natural wonders, like the Victoria Falls, that this country has to offer. I definitely look forward to returning not only to Zambia, but to volunteering with African Impact again. This was an unforgettable trip filled with memories that I will always cherish.

Amazing volunteer experience in lovely Zambia

It's hard to give constructive criticism as I enjoyed my time in Livingstone so much. It was my fourth time volunteering in Africa (the first time with African Impact) and this volunteer experience is by far the best organized one. Everything we did felt important and thought through. The staff is absolutely amazing, everyone is so friendly. I volunteered for six weeks. First I was a bit worried about staying at the same place for that long as I'm used to traveling around a lot, but the truth is, I never got bored. Doing different projects in the afternoon definitely helped that. Zambia is the 12th country I visit in Southern and Eastern Africa, and I fell madly in love with the country. It's my favourite country! The people I got to meet through the projects made a huge impact on me, and I think that was my favourite part of the volunteer placement – that not only did I make an impact, but I was also so inspired and affected by the people I met.

Overall review

I had an awesome time here, the staff are a lovely, caring, enthusiastic bunch who ensured my experiences within the communities and on project were positive. I NEVER felt alone or unsupported. It was great to be around such motivated individuals. There are obvious health and safety concerns undertaking a project in Zambia however thanks to the people here I was never scared to go outside or explore with a friend/small group. I am so glad I volunteered here and so grateful for the opportunity to do so.

African Impact review

Teaming up with African Impact was definitely a new experience. Meeting people from around the world who want to make a difference in a similar ways is amazing to say the least. I have never had a more eye opening and inspiring experience like such. The local people of Livingstone are amazingly grateful towards the volunteers and that is definitely unforgettable.

Best exposure to the medical field I have ever encountered

I cannot recommend this program enough--no matter how old you are, if you have ever traveled before or not--this was the most fun and eye opening experience I have ever had!

In Zambia, I had the opportunity to work in healthcare, girl impact, and education projects, just to name a few. As a premed student hoping to work in rural, global healthcare, this program completely opened my eyes to the beauty of the communities I one day aspire to work with! I have grown so much as an individual and fallen in love with volunteering. I still have a number of connections with friends made in Zambia and hope to return as soon as possible to be back in my favorite place in the world.

If you are even wondering at all whether or not go make the journey--stop wondering and just go!!!

Changing lives by the fall

A huge thank you to the African Impact team here in Livingstone. Coming from New Zealand to volunteer in the healthcare projects we thought we would be able to see and experience the difference in the healthcare systems compared to back home. But in the 5 weeks we were here we experienced so much more than that. We were able to immerse in the local culture and become good friends with people all around the world. The afternoon community projects were the most enriching and rewarding experiences where we were able to support the community/children by building their skills on literacy, maths, arts/crafts or just simply spending an afternoon having some fun with the residents from the old people's home or playing games at after school or youth club. By far the most humbling experience we have had is teaching at adult literacy club where men and women from the community (often walking for an hour from home) would come in the afternoon and work on their English skills. Another memorable experience for us was we had the privilege of painting for the children’s isolation ward at the Livingstone General Hospital. During the weekends we were able to walk with lions, fly above the majestic Victoria Falls, raft in the rapids of the mighty Zambezi river and swim in the Angel’s pool before the water tumbles down the 108m high fall. All in all we cannot thank everyone enough for the life-changing experience we have had in Livingstone. Throughout our time here we were extremely well looked after and well fed (special thank you to the kitchen staff who seem to be forever surprised about my portion size even after 5 weeks). We never had to worry about transport or getting lost. We always knew exactly what projects we are going on and what time we are leaving. We were truly able to volunteer without a worry in our mind. I am so glad we chose to volunteer with African Impact and cannot wait for another African Impact adventure in the near future.

A life changing volunteering experience

I did not know what to expect coming to volunteer next to the grand Victoria Falls. I knew I would be in Africa, I knew there would be some animals and I knew things would be different. Arriving I felt welcomed from the first step into Livingstone and the African Impact crew were incredibly helpful. We seamlessly integrated into the house (at least I thought so) and their were plenty of people from all walks of life. It was an awesome place to work, live and socialise.

Home based care was probably one of the biggest highlights of the project. Through this we were able to see into the lives of patients and how their community and living conditions influences their various problems. Many communities are impoverished and do not have great access to healthcare, even though healthcare itself is free in Zambia. Interacting with the large population of HIV patients and the different problems that it represents in Zambia was eye-opening. There is still a great stigma associated with it but Zambia is trying to make progress and improve the way it deals with this terrible condition. We also met passionate caregivers who really are the pillars of home based care and are doing a great job in healing their community. I feel I really made a difference and learnt a lot during my time on home based care.

We also lucky to be involved with painting one of the children's wards at the hospital. It was so fun and I hope that it brings joy to the children who many end up there and will have nice animals and sea creatures on the walls to keep them company during what they may think is a scary time in hospital.

Lastly, living in the house is great. It is like living at camp for an extended period of time. You meet so many new friends and get to explore the great collection of activities that Livingstone has to offer - the spectacular Victoria Falls included. You form long-lasting friendships and develop a new appreciation for luxuries at home as well as learning from the other volunteers, staff and most importantly the communities within Livingstone.

It was an unforgettable experience. I will miss Livingstone and everyone I have met here. Thank you for everything. Zikomo kwambiri!

Enriching and extremely fun experience!

I had such an amazing time being a medical volunteer with African Impact in Livingstone, Zambia. As a student nurse, I practiced and gained many skills which will help me in my professional career and personal life.

Healthcare & medical project, Livingstone, Zambia 2016

Volunteering with African Impact on the Healthcare & Medical Project was an amazing experience. At times it was confronting and challenging but overall it was engaging and fun. It was an experience I will never forget :)

Amazing trip!

I honestly had the best time of my life, thanks so much guys! I learned so much about myself and the Zambian culture. Everyone was so wonderful and I felt so welcomed. I wish I could stay forever and I'll miss you all x

The most rewarding experience

I spent two weeks here volunteering as a medical volunteer. It truly was the best experience of my life to date. To be able to help and make a positive change in vulnerable people's lives who are a lot less fortunate than ourselves was incredibly heartwarming and rewarding. I will remember this experience for life. The people I have met along the way have definitely made the experience even greater. Such a fantastic opportunity.

Amazing experience!

Would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to do something challenging, fun, and out of their comfort zone. I learnt so much, got to meet some amazing people and immerse myself in the culture I wouldn't have had the opportunity to otherwise as a standard tourist!

Health program

This was an amazing experience that I would definitely repeat. Everyone was very very nice and the volunteering program was very enriching. I really hope I can be part of this again in the future and return to Zambia as soon as possible.

African time

One time i forgot the watch at home so one man said to me "white people always forget the watch, african people always forget the time" and it is true, here my time stop for 6 amazing weeks.

Michael's African Impact review

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at African Impact. I can honestly say it has been an experience that has changed my life in so many ways. The hard work of the staff and reachable goals are amazing!

The single best experience of my life thus far!

African Impact has given me the most unique and impactful experience I could have ever imagined. Here in Zambia, I have met people with the biggest hearts I have ever encountered, and having an opportunity to give back to this loving community while also gaining hands-on medical training has forever changed my life.

Have a meaningful experience in an amazing place

Working with African Impact has really opened my eyes to the possibility of doing more volunteer travel in the future. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and the program is run very effectively. Working as a medical volunteer, I felt like I could make a difference in peoples' lives, even if it was just a little bit of help. Afternoon projects, such as running reading and math clubs for local schools, were another great way to connect with the community, and to gain some valuable teaching experience. I would recommend African Impact to anyone, and they have many other locations if this one isn't what you want to do.

One of the most amazing experiences in my life!

African Impact was such an amazing experience. The staff was so friendly and helpful, Livingstone Backpackers is a beautiful place to stay, and the friendships I have made here will last a lifetime. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to make a sustainable African Impact.