African Wildlife Photography and Conservation
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

African Wildlife Photography and Conservation

Wildlife Photography Volunteer

A great opportunity to immerse yourself in the African bushveld and learn all the techniques specific to wildlife photography. There were enough game drives and bush walks to practise the theory learnt in the first week. More suited for the intermediate photographer.

Photographs in the bush of South Africa

I had a great time in my four weeks as a photography volunteer at the Dumela Lodge in the Kruger Park area. We had a very tight schedule and not one minute I was bored. Every day we had a highlight and even if it was watching a dung beetle making his dung ball. Because it happens not every day that a leopard jumps up a tree just in front of you. I enjoyed every second of my stay and me heart feels so heavy when thinking about to leave this place in a few days.

Great

It was amazing, the staff is awesome and they always try to make everyone happy. The lodge itself is great, the swimming pool is a nice place to cool down when it is really hot. The game drives are amazing and the guides are really good and you can always have a good laugh with them.

Photography

LEARNED SO MUCH. When starting out there was so much to learn,As the weeks went along ,its was like a building blocks. IT WAS DONE IN WAY THE EASY AND USEFUL.To be able to try to use what you learned that day was so helpful.

My volunteering experiences with African Impact

I loved my stay with African Impact, the whole project was very well scheduled, the staff was friendly and always helpful, the food was excellent and always fresh, and all in all the whole organization was terrific! i can recommend this project to everyone and don't want to leave this project.

Photography project

I really learned a lot about photography, and Lightroom too (even though I already used Lightroom before). It was a good mixture of practical, theoretical and creative sessions. We also got the chance to got to see different places.

I think the title fits and gives an idea on what to expect.

I really enjoyed the project. I learned a lot and had a great time. I would like to have spend more time with the researcher together and take the pictures they need with them guiding us. The people on the project were great and made the time even better.

Corrie's review

This is the second time here and I really enjoyed my stay here. We have seen a lot, learned a lot, done a lot etc. I came here for 2 weeks as a photographer and 2 weeks as a researcher. At this moment I am reviewing the first part of my stay. The changing of teachers was a bit confusing but it works out well.

Changing perspectives

Great experience overall, changed my perspective both on photography sessions and on interacting with other nice people as well!! Very good administration except only from a not so balanced time schedule (one week a lot of editing time without needed and the next one lack of time. Finally, I would love more community work.

A truly great experience

I really enjoyed the photography project. Great for someone that has none or a basic knowledge of a camera. The basics are covered in the first week and then the remaining three weeks are putting the training into practice. A great variety of game drives, practical sessions around the lodge and in the community.
Subjects covered include astrophotography, wildlife, motion, macro and portrait/life shots - a really great variety as no two days are the same.

The lodge has great facilities and the food is awesome. The staff are really friendly and nothing is ever too much for them. They all made me feel welcome straight away and were there to support all of the volunteers throughout their stay.

Dumela lodge Sept-October 2017

Photography and community volunteer. It was great to improve my Photography and that's combined with a supporting of the protection of the 'big five'. I'll see this as a win-win situation for myself and all involved party's.

Awesome experience!

Had the most amazing time in Dumela Lodge in ZA with the photography program! The mix of amazing programs and projects, people from all over the world and the most friendly staff peeps ever! Wouldn't change a thing - other than having to leave this paradise.

Excellent experience

Before I started off to the Photography Project, I was not sure if it would really be a working experience rather than a holiday trip. But quickly I figured, that there is a packed schedule and you work hard on your photography skills while generating a real impact. All the staff is extremely friendly and soon you feel like part of a big family.
I recommend this trip to everyone who is really interested in wildlife photography and who does not need much relaxing times :-).

Daelis review

Great experience in a foreign country with volunteers from all over the world.
Introduced in the different kinds to take pictures.
Learned settings of the camera never used before.
Take pictures includes always editing them.
Get more passion to take photographs besides work.

Amazing photography experience

I loved my project and the people who were with me. Tim and Sam are amazing instructors. A huge amount of valuable material was covered. AIl staff wonderful and helpful. Food boring. Room run down.

My review

I realise now how beautiful an special nature is and I loved having the opportunity to visit the animals in their homes! There is so much learning of wildlife photography (and your camera and Lightroom) The help and patience is great! Especially from Tim!

My review

Had a fantastic time here in Africa, learnt a lot and had opportunities which I will probably never have again. Met lovely people which are passionate about what they are doing and friendly in every aspect.

An unforgettable month

My experience here has surpassed all expectations I had. The food and accommodation have evidently had a lot of thought put into them to make them as accommodating as possible for us. The staff go the extra mile not only to take care of you and ensure everything runs smoothly, but to be there for you and enhance your experience. The project itself is well structured and organised, packed with activities that give you an incredible experience of both the wildlife and community here. It's an opportunity not to be missed!

I had an incredible experience at African Impact

I appreciated how well organised / coordinated the program was. The living situation was very comfortable and I always felt safe while in the lodge or on game drive. There was a good balance of workshops, photography, game drives and community work.

Time

I didn't saw the timing flowing away because we are always doing something.

General

Excellent information provided, everyone in Dumela is like a big family. Great food, great presentations and inductions - you always hear how. why and for what you work. If you are struggling to decide to come here or not, do it!

General

All in all I collected only good experiences. The people were the greatest (and that's the main point!). What I love is that groups no matter their appointments can and do easily stay in touch with each other. So the groups interact well.

Awesome, want again!

It was perfect, maybe I want to come back during South African summer!

Unforgettable experience

Great experience with great people and positive vibes. Only one thing to complain about is that the visa situation, where the councillor required proof of address, but all of the documents are not approved. I'm not sure if it's sure communication between the agency (GoEco) and African Impact, or the agency is not clear about how volunteers apply for visa. Therefore, I have to purchase extra ticket to go back to home at an expense price (because it's too late when they told me they can't give me the right right doc.) because my passport only allow me to stay for <30 days & I had another volunteer program before this.

Excellent experience

One of the best time of my life. People are amazing. All of the staff are so so so friendly that makes you feel absolutely welcome from the first minute you enter SA. All the volunteers are great and friendly. Couldn't ask for a better first experience in here. thank you AfricanImpact.