African Wildlife Photography and Conservation
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

African Wildlife Photography and Conservation

Awesome experience!

Had the most amazing time in Dumela Lodge in ZA with the photography program! The mix of amazing programs and projects, people from all over the world and the most friendly staff peeps ever! Wouldn't change a thing - other than having to leave this paradise.

My review

I realise now how beautiful an special nature is and I loved having the opportunity to visit the animals in their homes! There is so much learning of wildlife photography (and your camera and Lightroom) The help and patience is great! Especially from Tim!

My review

Had a fantastic time here in Africa, learnt a lot and had opportunities which I will probably never have again. Met lovely people which are passionate about what they are doing and friendly in every aspect.

I had an incredible experience at African Impact

I appreciated how well organised / coordinated the program was. The living situation was very comfortable and I always felt safe while in the lodge or on game drive. There was a good balance of workshops, photography, game drives and community work.

General

Excellent information provided, everyone in Dumela is like a big family. Great food, great presentations and inductions - you always hear how. why and for what you work. If you are struggling to decide to come here or not, do it!

Excellent experience

One of the best time of my life. People are amazing. All of the staff are so so so friendly that makes you feel absolutely welcome from the first minute you enter SA. All the volunteers are great and friendly. Couldn't ask for a better first experience in here. thank you AfricanImpact.

Overall

Overall excellent experience, exceeded expectation and none of the concerns materialized. Excellent photography course and practice. Lots of sightings and perfect photos. Will recommend to any interested party.

African Impact photography course, Jun-July 2017

I have had a fantastic 4 weeks at Dumela Lodge. The photography course at African Impact was everything I'd anticipated, and more too. The course caters for everybody, so literally anyone with a camera can sign up, regardless of whether they actually know how to use it. All the team members are lovely, the accommodation and food excellent; weekend trips were a highlight, as well as working with the community. The experience is something I will treasure forever!

African wildlife photography & conservation

The project has been a once in a lifetime experience and the month that I have spent here has flown by. I came to the project knowing far less than I even thought about both my camera and the art of photography. Tim and Sam have taught, encouraged and pushed my boundaries and the difference between the photos I produced at the start of the trip to the photos I have produced in the final week are almost incomparable as I have improved so much. All staff are very friendly and helpful, the food is wonderful; even the pickiest of eaters won't be disappointed. The trips on offer are good albeit a little expensive. However, they are organised externally or fully guided so you can understand why, you just need to be a little more prepared than I was. I met an amazing group of people and there was never a dull moment with a pretty packed schedule on top. I really liked that there was a strong educational aspect to the project, I have learnt many things that I can take back with me to educate friends and family on conservation matters as well. The community projects were hard work but great fun. It was nice to see an immediate impact in comparison to the long term impact of photography. Only minor issue is that the safes in the rooms all have the same number so there wasn't much point using them. It would be better if they had different numbers. However, this is minor and I cannot wait to come back...I'm planning the next trip already.

My experience at Dumela lodge

My overall experience with African Impact has been absolutely amazing! The living arrangements are great, clean rooms, comfortable beds, big enough bathrooms and nice eating areas. Coming here as a vegetarian I was a little bit nervous to see if there would decent options for me and there are, the portions are fairly large and the food is great. The only reason I marked safety as less than a 10 was because I heard that some volunteers had money go missing and although there are safes on every room, the codes are all the same so it does't stop others visitors from opening them. I was not personally affected by this and I know that many others weren't as well but I do think that it is an issue. My stay here at Dumela Lodge has been incredible for so many reason. The work that we are doing is making an impact and the fact that the staff can make it fun and exciting is important

Photography Project

I have loved every moment of my stay here and have benefitted so tremendously from all guides and mentors, who have gone out of their way to make our experience a memorable one. The wisdom and knowledge of these people, and above all, their willingness to share it, has enriched each and every one involved.

Volunteer Feedback

My time with Africa Impact was amazing and I've had an experience that I will never forget. I learned a lot about wildlife and conservation efforts going on throughout Africa. In addition, I was able to help with the conservation projects that African Impact is doing, which left me with the feeling that I was actually able to help make an impact. The community of staff and other volunteers at Dumela Lodge is very tight knit and supportive and quickly begins to feel like home. Time flies by here and every moment is worth something great!

Wildlife

I have had an amazing experience with AI South Africa. I have learned so much more than anticipated outside of wildlife photography. My workflow and editing skills have increased as well as learning macro and portrait photography. This is an experience I will never forget.

A unique experience

At first I just wanted to learn more about photography, but now, after having had this amazing experience with African impact Photography I am passionate about wildlife photography. This program has given me incredible opportunities that I will never forget! It is a unique experience, where I met amazing people, saw beautiful landscapes, and stretched my limits like holding a spider in my hand! Thank you so much African Impact.

A great way to experience African wildlife for both novices and experts!

The Wildlife Photography project is one of the best things I've ever done! Everyone here from staff, volunteers and coordinators is so passionate about conservation, wildlife and the local community.
I have always been skeptical about many volunteering organizations, and it's been so great to discover that African Impact is the real deal. Everyone here places the professionalism and impact of the projects first, and are always aware of the sensitive nature of the work that they are doing. The projects are well thought-out and have the best interests of the community in mind. At no point did I feel that my own "fun" experience came before the importance of our impact here, which I genuinely appreciate as someone who came here to try to do something more with my love of travel, wildlife and photography.

Fantastic experience

This is nothing like paying a lot of money and doing a week long African Safari where you are essentially a tourist looking in from the outside and taking photographs. Here we are involved, we are part of it; with the guides, getting to know them, tracking, learning, sitting around the camp fire, listening to stories and of course taking photographs.
It’s not a holiday because we work long hours, some of it quite tiring work, and we have deadlines to meet. It’s certainly not work either. It’s a lifetime experience where you become involved, contribute, hopefully do some good, end up with thousands of amazing pictures and memories that will last forever.

4 weeks aren't enough

Four weeks are gone like nothing, the staff and projects keep you busy all the time. As a photographer you just stay here for four weeks, what feels like no time in the end. After this short time it feels a little bit like home, and now that this time is over i wish i would have a time machine =)

Amazing

I had a really amazing time thank you african impact. I have learned a lot and will try to continue to learn even more. African impact enabled me to open my horizon and appreciate the little things in the world.

An unforgettable experience

From all the pre-departure information I was confident I was going to have an amazing time. However it didn't prepare me for how truly inspiring and incredible it was going to be. No day is the same, in fact wildly different, one day you are focusing on a tiny insect, the next a huge elephant. I have learnt so much about photography in general that I can use in all kinds of situations from Tim and Sam. I have also gained so much knowledge about the wildlife in Africa from all the guides, the amount of information they hold in their brains really is mind boggling.

My month in photography with African Impact

Come ready to wake up early, go on game drives, see amazing animals, shoot thousands of photos, edit hundreds of photos, show your work, get feedback, develop your craft, and become a better wildlife photographer. I had a great stay with African Impact and went from shooting mediocre wildlife photos to amazing photos I can be proud to put on a wall.

My amazing experience

Well where to start... My experience here has been amazing! I loved every minute of it. Africa is a beautiful place and I loved coming here I experience new things and met new people I was a little homesick at times but everyone here made me fell like I was back home. I have had an awesome time getting to know everyone and getting to experience new things I will never forget this place and all the amazing staff they are all amazing and funny and I will never forget the first time a saw a lion or an elephant in there natural habitat I have had an amazing time here one i will never forget with people I will never forget this place is my home away from home. For future volunteers come don't be scared you will have an amazing time and a wonderful experience this trip was a unforgettable moment for me and I sure it will be for you as well.

Photography Janvier, Volunter Iris

The discovery of other volunteers is extraordinary, lots of sharing and kindness and feelings of not being unique to have a sensitivity to wildlife and flora. Comforting when you live in town ... An experience full of wealth!

African wildlife photography and conservation

This was my fourth time attending this project in different locations. This reflects how each time the experience has been memorable and special. I have learnt so much not just improving my photography but also my knowledge on conservation and making an impact and difference. I would recommend this project to all.

Staff members love their job!

My experience with AI was amazing. Everything was better than my expectations except for a couple of things about the first information I received that I will explain in the next fields. All the people that I knew were awesome. African Impact did a very good job with all the information about how we supposed to live in the lodge, and about the rules and the behaviour A.I. would expect from us...so all the rest it's just a consequence of a very well done job from the start. I really appreciated that some members of staff were volunteers just like us and they could really understand us in everything, anticipating our problems or giving us informations we could need, all the time. The staff was extremely helpful and highly competent. Our project manager, Tim, was always very clear about the things we supposed to do, and he prevented every kind of problem, without giving a thing as understood and in the other hand without pressing us. We were just free and well prepared to everything. Also all the other members were amazing persons, all of them. Katie was wonderful during the game drives, she always explained all the time such interesting things about the animals and plants without annoying us: it's so good to see that those people REALLY LOVE THEIR JOB and what they do with volunteers. Was so nice to see that staff have fun just like us, for example when we painted a class in Makwetse school Katie, Trico and Sabrina had so much fun! I also loved all the presentations 'cause it was so nice to know what we did and why. Whole experience was professionally organized, and all of them followed and pushed us step by step. I loved it. About the location, lodge's maintenance and the food I have nothing to say, everything was better than my expectation...after all we were prepared for Africa. At some point we used to call Dumela lodge "home"!

Photography course review

I really enjoyed being there. I learned a lot from Tim (our photography teacher) and from the other volunteers. We had a good atmosphere and everyone was helpful with each other. We all learned a lot in both photography and editing.