African Wildlife Photography and Conservation
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

African Wildlife Photography and Conservation

weekend trip to Swaziland

The weekend to Swaziland was a fantastic experience, initially I thought to journey would be arduous but it passed really quickly with well planned breaks. The accomodation way surpassed expectation, the animals and various walks were terrific for photography, lots of activities to participate in.

First Time Traveller to South Africa

I would highly recommend African Impact for anyone who is considering volunteer travel. I received outstanding support from the day I decided to register for the project. That support continued throughout my stay. I couldn't recommend them more highly.

Dumela Lodge is not just a house, it's a home

It's unfortunate that I'm only staying for 4 weeks, because I really don't want to leave. The people are kind, the animals amazing, the vibe relaxed, the food nice and the overall experience unforgettable.

Unbelievable experience, far beyond expectations

I loved the 4 week photography project in South Africa. Not only did we get to see animals in the bush almost on a daily basis, but also were our pictures used in meaningful ways (macro ID and catalogue, ID of endangered species, document the success of the community projects...). The people I got to know here became family, the experiences we had together are just amazing. I can nothing but recommend this trip.

Amazing month!

I came to African Impact for a couple of reasons which are:
1. I wanted to improve my photography skills
2. I wanted to do voluntary work
3. I wanted to visit Africa
All three of these things were available in the (for me perfect package) which was the Wildlife photography program.
First of all I have learned allot about photography and really enjoyed my time out on drives and editing always thriving for the best results. Special thanks to Sam and Marvin for helping me out with everything and learning me allot of new things! (and beating me in ping-pong over and over again...)
Secondly I have attended some community projects like improving the english of local children by reading english books with them, which I found a really special experience. I also had the job documenting the things that were happening at other projects (like the farmers of the future project) this was a great combination because It was done by making (before - after) pictures! Also there was physical work which I liked allot, we went to Leadwood (a game reserve) there we had the so called "anger management" it was called this because the physical work we did consisted of chopping down River Thorn which was destroying allot of the original vegetation, personally I like this allot going at it with machetes. (secret shoutout to Gene)
Last but not least, I wanted to visit Africa, which was something I was already thinking about for quite some time and was really curious how it would be but I'm not disappointed because Africa is AMAZING!
African Impact made the combination of the three ideal and offered me everything I wanted in one great package.
I had an amazing time here which I'm really thankful for, thanks everyone!
P.S.
(THE FOOD IS AMAZING)

Photography course

The photography course is good for everybody from a beginner to an experienced photographer, the curse goes over how to use your camera and how to capture interesting images. You then get to practice all this on drives, its a really helpful course and to have the change to have a experience wildlife photographer look over you images and help you improve is a great opportunity for improvement. All the staff at the lodge are really friendly and welcoming I have never felt more at home away from home

Photography experience in African Impact South Africa

I really enjoyed my stay here with African Impact. The staff especially is exceptional. They are attentive, they always open-minded and hard working. If you ever have a problem or want to change something they will always try to accommodate you. African Impact does a great job in trying too.

African Impact photography

This volunteer program was amazing. I had previously done the program in the Mara in Kenya and this project was just as fun, with just as many amazing animal sightings. I really learned how to properly use n=my camera, and not on automatic. The other volunteers were great as well. I loved my time at Dumela lodge.

Wildlife Photography Volunteer

A great opportunity to immerse yourself in the African bushveld and learn all the techniques specific to wildlife photography. There were enough game drives and bush walks to practise the theory learnt in the first week. More suited for the intermediate photographer.

Photographs in the bush of South Africa

I had a great time in my four weeks as a photography volunteer at the Dumela Lodge in the Kruger Park area. We had a very tight schedule and not one minute I was bored. Every day we had a highlight and even if it was watching a dung beetle making his dung ball. Because it happens not every day that a leopard jumps up a tree just in front of you. I enjoyed every second of my stay and me heart feels so heavy when thinking about to leave this place in a few days.

Great

It was amazing, the staff is awesome and they always try to make everyone happy. The lodge itself is great, the swimming pool is a nice place to cool down when it is really hot. The game drives are amazing and the guides are really good and you can always have a good laugh with them.

Photography

LEARNED SO MUCH. When starting out there was so much to learn,As the weeks went along ,its was like a building blocks. IT WAS DONE IN WAY THE EASY AND USEFUL.To be able to try to use what you learned that day was so helpful.

My volunteering experiences with African Impact

I loved my stay with African Impact, the whole project was very well scheduled, the staff was friendly and always helpful, the food was excellent and always fresh, and all in all the whole organization was terrific! i can recommend this project to everyone and don't want to leave this project.

Photography project

I really learned a lot about photography, and Lightroom too (even though I already used Lightroom before). It was a good mixture of practical, theoretical and creative sessions. We also got the chance to got to see different places.

• African Impact responded to this review March 05, 2018 at 3:00 AM

Hi Celina. Thank you for your feedback - it goes a long way to improving our projects and creating the best experience for those volunteers who visit after you. Please will you email us at marketing@africanimpact.com and give us some tips as to how we can improve the living situation. We're so glad you enjoyed your time and learnt a lot.

I think the title fits and gives an idea on what to expect.

I really enjoyed the project. I learned a lot and had a great time. I would like to have spend more time with the researcher together and take the pictures they need with them guiding us. The people on the project were great and made the time even better.

Corrie's review

This is the second time here and I really enjoyed my stay here. We have seen a lot, learned a lot, done a lot etc. I came here for 2 weeks as a photographer and 2 weeks as a researcher. At this moment I am reviewing the first part of my stay. The changing of teachers was a bit confusing but it works out well.

Changing perspectives

Great experience overall, changed my perspective both on photography sessions and on interacting with other nice people as well!! Very good administration except only from a not so balanced time schedule (one week a lot of editing time without needed and the next one lack of time. Finally, I would love more community work.

A truly great experience

I really enjoyed the photography project. Great for someone that has none or a basic knowledge of a camera. The basics are covered in the first week and then the remaining three weeks are putting the training into practice. A great variety of game drives, practical sessions around the lodge and in the community.
Subjects covered include astrophotography, wildlife, motion, macro and portrait/life shots - a really great variety as no two days are the same.

The lodge has great facilities and the food is awesome. The staff are really friendly and nothing is ever too much for them. They all made me feel welcome straight away and were there to support all of the volunteers throughout their stay.

Dumela lodge Sept-October 2017

Photography and community volunteer. It was great to improve my Photography and that's combined with a supporting of the protection of the 'big five'. I'll see this as a win-win situation for myself and all involved party's.

Awesome experience!

Had the most amazing time in Dumela Lodge in ZA with the photography program! The mix of amazing programs and projects, people from all over the world and the most friendly staff peeps ever! Wouldn't change a thing - other than having to leave this paradise.

Excellent experience

Before I started off to the Photography Project, I was not sure if it would really be a working experience rather than a holiday trip. But quickly I figured, that there is a packed schedule and you work hard on your photography skills while generating a real impact. All the staff is extremely friendly and soon you feel like part of a big family.
I recommend this trip to everyone who is really interested in wildlife photography and who does not need much relaxing times :-).

Daelis review

Great experience in a foreign country with volunteers from all over the world.
Introduced in the different kinds to take pictures.
Learned settings of the camera never used before.
Take pictures includes always editing them.
Get more passion to take photographs besides work.

Amazing photography experience

I loved my project and the people who were with me. Tim and Sam are amazing instructors. A huge amount of valuable material was covered. AIl staff wonderful and helpful. Food boring. Room run down.

My review

I realise now how beautiful an special nature is and I loved having the opportunity to visit the animals in their homes! There is so much learning of wildlife photography (and your camera and Lightroom) The help and patience is great! Especially from Tim!

My review

Had a fantastic time here in Africa, learnt a lot and had opportunities which I will probably never have again. Met lovely people which are passionate about what they are doing and friendly in every aspect.