Equine Summer Study in Scotland - Adelante Abroad
Adelante Abroad Header Image Adelante Abroad Header Image

Equine Summer Study in Scotland - Adelante Abroad

A wonderful opportunity and experience

I really enjoyed the Equine Summer Study in Scotland. The classes we took were challenging, but very interesting and enjoyable and I gained a lot of useful knowledge. I also really liked being able to horseback ride throughout the week, and liked the balance between classes and horseback riding. All of the professors and instructors were kind, caring, and helpful, and the community was very welcoming too. I also really liked the events planned, such as the Perth Races, and liked learning about the culture in Scotland. As an Equine Science major, this program significantly added to my learning and experiences, and I am so glad I chose to come.

An experience to remember

This program is a lot of fun and an experience that one will not forget. From learning about equine fitness and anatomy to riding multiple horses to advance the riding skills that students came in knowing. My favourite memory was the time we went to the Perth Gold cup which was a day of jump races. I have never see any racing whether it be flat or jump. We were right up at the rail and had a first hand view of the jockeys riding by and finish. Also, I had a great time expanding my riding ability to jumping a course towards the end because I do not jump regularly when I take lessons. This experience is one that I would recommend to any college student wanting to see Scotland and meet some amazing staff.

Scotland equine study abroad

My experience with this study abroad program was one of a kind! It is such a unique opportunity to be able to study abroad in a foreign country, both traditionally in the classroom and in the arena as well. The accommodations are great for the location and time you are here. The classroom instructors are well versed in their respective fields and are excited about teaching you as well as learning from you about different perspectives based on where you come from. I really enjoyed applying what we learned in the classroom to the horses in the barn, as well as getting to take a field trip and see first hand what a horse in a fitness program looks like. The riding instructors are amazing! I truly enjoyed every lesson and every horse that I had the opportunity to ride! The planned outings are quite fun as well! I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in horses, riding, or an equine career!

The brilliant equine study abroad program

This program was an experience of a life time. I enjoyed every single second I have spent on Oatridge Campus. I could not think of a single bad thing to say about the campus, the people, and the experiences I have shared over the last four weeks. I cannot wait to get back to the University of Missouri - Columbia campus and share my experiences with other who wish to go on this trip next summer!

May never leave

My time here was amazing. Scotland itself is beautiful and relaxing. The program did a great job of emerging us into the culture. We were housed with a few of the local students and they took us in. They showed us around a few of the neighbouring towns. The academic portion of the program was also up to par. I really enjoyed the anatomy and physiology class. We covered a lot of material but there wasn't too much extra work besides a final assessment. The fitness class was also informative. However, I felt like there was a lot of busy work that was really wasn't imperative to our learning. The riding program was also incredibly fun. The horses were sweet but still pushed us to be better riders.

Scotland study abroad review

I have really enjoyed my time here in Scotland over the past 4 weeks. It has been the experience of a lifetime. I have enjoyed staying here at Oatridge as well as exploring the surrounding cities. The activities that were planned for us were really exciting and I loved being able to have those experience. The girls that I've met here have been so enjoyable to spend the time with and I hope to stay in touch with them. The classes were very informational and they gave me practical experience to be able to take back to the United States to implement into my programs there. I also enjoyed the riding portion of the program and I loved getting to ride different horses. They were all so well trained. Coming in, I wasn't sure how I would do in the classroom because I hadn't taken Animal Science courses before but the professors were very helpful. I loved the whole experience and I cant think of much I would change.

Hands on experience

I really enjoyed all the hands on experience that I received in this program. It wasn't just classroom learning. We actually had applied knowledge to what we learned in the classroom. I loved this program and the people involved with it. I've learned so much about the horse. I definitely would recommend this program to anyone that loves the animal

Spreading my wings in Scotland

I feel like there are too many stories to choose from, so I am just going to treat the whole experience as one. When all of us got to the college we didn't really communicate with the students already going here, so it was an amazing feeling when I was always invited to go to the pubs with them or even just hangout together and order takeout with a movie after a few days. My favourite night though was the day before they left and we all played soccer together! Definitely a night to remember. This soccer night didn't just include all the American students, it also included the Scottish and the French students that were here. Half the time we didn't even know what one another were saying, but to be honest that was the best part. All you could hear all night was laughter, Scottish accents, American accents, and whatever the French guys were saying! It really was one of my favourite nights this whole trip.

Great time riding in Scotland

This is an awesome experience for any type of horse lover. Basically, you ride horses everyday and then you have an afternoon class. The instructors are kind, warm and sympathetic. I really enjoyed this experience.

Ponies and Scotland

This program was fantastic!! The horses were amazing, the people were awesome and the trips were great too! We went to several places and I really enjoyed how they made it so we could do what we really wanted instead of choosing everything for us.

Scotland 2015

I absolutely loved this program! The equine classes were very interesting and informational. The fitness class was a lot of busy work (I would recommend a computer for access to typing). The instructors were very helpful anytime you needed them. Riding class was a blast and you get to ride different horses to help you develop as a rider. Both the instructors were positive and very smart. As for the culture, you definitely become more diverse. Aside from the Scottish students We got to met some French exchange students and students from England visiting for the Highland Show. Weekends were usually busy bot well worth it!

Equine program

This trip so far has been a blast. Scotland is absolutely beautiful and the people here are extremely friendly. The program plans excursions which are also a lot of fun. I love the horses here and have enjoyed the riding and academics as well.

Scotland 2015

My trip to Scotland was a very enjoyable one. I would seriously recommend it to anyone wanting to study abroad and especially for those wanting to study equine. The interaction with the Scottish students was overall very good. It was very fun to hang out with them and learn our cultural differences. The dances that we attended while in the program were very fun and the trips to the city as well as other tourist sites were definitely very enjoyable experiences. Although the staff were slightly unhelpful at times, the teachers were the nicest people and were always willing to help. Jackie is definitely the best and was like a mother to all of us on the trip. The food was much better than even I expected, however, the dorm situations were not my favourite. We didn't get moved from the smaller dorms into the flats until halfway through the program. However, everyone we talked with is more than nice but there is a significant lack of planning put into the living situations. I was very impressed with the cooking staff who were super friendly and accommodating to those who had food allergies. On the equine side of things, I don't appreciate some of the horses' behaviours at times, meaning that they have some problems being mouthy and spoiled. However, there were little problems with handling the horses and equine handlers tried to work with us to find a horse that best suited our desires and needs. Although I found the riding program to be very slow, the riding staff were very safety conscience for those who did not have a lot of riding experience. Even though I am strictly a western rider, I found the riding to be very slow at times and almost boring for those of us who can ride somewhat in an English saddle. Overall, the riding was a very enjoyable experience.

Scotland for a Summer

I loved the atmosphere here! We went on a few excursions, but there were some schedule conflicts at points in time. I felt like there needed to be more communication between everyone. The classes are a lot of fun and guided really well. Our teachers are always available to help. At the border patrol, be sure to have your letter of acceptance from Oatridge even though we were told we didn't need it. When something is recommended, it's a good idea to go out and get it as well. For example, riding gloves. It's a good idea to get extra money for cab and bus fares. You'll want to go places....a lot. Overall, I'm having the best time of my life!

Scotland for the summer

I have thoroughly enjoyed this program so far. It has been a lot of fun, you get a lot of freedom to explore Scotland on your own, which is amazing. The country is so pretty. Living in the Scottish countryside is absolutely breath taking. The horses here are all very nice. The lessons are all catered to each student's specific skill level. I have really enjoyed this program so far.

My Summer in Scotland

I participated in the Equine Summer School in Scotland study abroad program last summer and had the time of my life. The program included a lot of trips and there was plenty of time to explore on our own. Living in the Scottish countryside for a month was a dream come true. The setting was beautiful and there were frequently horse or dog competitions to see right on campus in the evenings. The accommodations were nice dorm rooms, including private bathrooms. The riding was amazing, and the instructors catered to riders of all skill levels so we were all free to learn at our own speed. Scotland is an amazing place with such a rich cultural history that I am thrilled I was able to experience. This trip exceeded my wildest dreams and I would not hesitate to recommend it. Heck, I'd love to go again myself!

Poor Communication amoung staff but overall great experience

My favourite part of the trip was our days in Edinburgh. There is one day scheduled, but we went in ourselves a few times and had a blast. I loved the Edinburgh Dungeons "ride."

I chose this program because I had a hard time finding equine specific programs.

We had a room and bathroom to ourselves. Twin beds, very uncomfortable. An armoire (barely used), dresser and desk. The shower is seriously IN the bathroom. No tub, just a curtain and shower head. Laundry is £3 total and in a separate building. Kitchen with oven, fridge, toaster, microwave and seats. No TV.

Poor Communication amoung staff but overall great experience

I had a fantastic time in Scotland. Oatridge is a beautiful campus with a lot of farmland around it(not near Edinburgh just so you know). There were a lot of complaints but if you keep in mind the fact that you are on a college campus and not a hotel or B&B, the food and beds don't seem so bad! I loved the horse I was able to ride, though some are just typical lesson ponies who like to have their own way. Lessons are not for really advanced riders, and you're very slowly introduced to very low (~2ft) jumping.

You have to come prepared with plans on where you want to go. A few weekends are planned for you but there are a lot of days that you have to figure out what to do for yourself. Luckily the train and taxi services are readily available as long as you have a phone that will call Scottish numbers. !!No one uses Viber!! it's only useful if you want to talk to your family back home.

Our biggest problem was a lack of communication between staff. However, I think that has to do with the fact that our head advisor was on Holiday while we were here, which I don't think will happen again!

Social Life:
All the students pretty much left. There were two boys living in the bottom of the hall that we talked to sometimes, but no one was really around after the first week

Fun in the Rain

Besides it being rainy it was over all a great! i would do it again in a heart beat if i was give the chance!

Review of Scotland

I loved the program. It was not as academically challenging as I expected, and we did not get to ride as often as I would have liked. However, I understand that there is a lot of material that must be crammed into a short time, and the instructors made sure we got the most out of the time that we were here. They did their best to make sure we saw Scotland, that we could go on trips for our classes, and they did their best to accomodate us if we wanted to go somewhere not in the program. Scotland is a very beautiful country, and I would recommending going. Adelante is a little difficult to work with, mostly because their websight is very confusing, and communication does not seem to be the best.

The faculty on sight was wonderful. I love the teachers, they were wonderful. Adelante is a little difficult to work with in the beginning, although I am grateful that they set up the program

awesome

This trip was great! we went on a ton of trips, really got to know Edinburgh, and were constantly busy. The classes were easy but informative. The riding was awesome! I am so glad I chose this trip, I highly recommend it.

The teachers were great and the material was interesting. however, it was very basic.

Scotland study abroad 2017

My four weeks in Scotland have been great and I have made memories that will last a lifetime. I enjoyed meeting all the equine professors and learning about their lives, meeting Oatridge students and learning about their college experiences and culture, and I very much enjoyed being able to learn more about my passion (horses) while living in the beautiful country of Scotland. The anatomy and fitness classes were interesting and succeeded in teaching us as much as possible in the short four week time span. The riding classes were extremely fun and the horses and instructors were wonderful. Overall, I really enjoyed my time in the Adelante Equine Study Abroad program and would recommend it to anyone who has a passion for horses and beautiful scenery.

Horsey fun

Had a really great time meeting the new people and riding the variety of horses. It was a great experience that I would recommend to everyone. All of the cultural experiences are very interesting a gives you a great taste of Scotland.

Adelante summer school - Amazing!

I very much enjoyed my experience abroad at Oatridge College. The instructors and workers at Oatridge were all very warm, welcoming, and helpful! They tried to learn our names as quickly as they could, kept up to date with how we were feeling, and if we needed anything they tried to accommodate us as best they could.

The classes were decently fast paced, but as long as I studied a bit after the class and before the assessments, I did fine.

We also got to ride a lot over the course of the program, and by the end of the four weeks everyone was able to do dressage tests and jumping over small jumps, so the lessons were really quite thorough!

I loved the extra trips we made, especially the trips to Loch Lomond and Perth Races.
There were also plenty of hiking places around the college with amazing views, provided you were willing to climb for them.

Summer well spent

Spending the last month in Scotland has been a huge adventure for me. I moved far away from home for college, so this wasn't my first month without seeing family. The program keeps you busy so there isn't much time to feel homesick. Be prepared for lots of horsey time and fun! No riding experience is required, everyone goes at their own pace and the priorities are safety and comfort, they just want you to have fun. The classes aren't always spent in the classroom, often we were up at the yard doing hands on lessons.