Equine Summer Study in Scotland - Adelante Abroad
Adelante Abroad Adelante Abroad

Equine Summer Study in Scotland - Adelante Abroad

A wonderful opportunity and experience

I really enjoyed the Equine Summer Study in Scotland. The classes we took were challenging, but very interesting and enjoyable and I gained a lot of useful knowledge. I also really liked being able to horseback ride throughout the week, and liked the balance between classes and horseback riding. All of the professors and instructors were kind, caring, and helpful, and the community was very welcoming too. I also really liked the events planned, such as the Perth Races, and liked learning about the culture in Scotland. As an Equine Science major, this program significantly added to my learning and experiences, and I am so glad I chose to come.

An experience to remember

This program is a lot of fun and an experience that one will not forget. From learning about equine fitness and anatomy to riding multiple horses to advance the riding skills that students came in knowing. My favourite memory was the time we went to the Perth Gold cup which was a day of jump races. I have never see any racing whether it be flat or jump. We were right up at the rail and had a first hand view of the jockeys riding by and finish. Also, I had a great time expanding my riding ability to jumping a course towards the end because I do not jump regularly when I take lessons. This experience is one that I would recommend to any college student wanting to see Scotland and meet some amazing staff.

Scotland study abroad 2017

My four weeks in Scotland have been great and I have made memories that will last a lifetime. I enjoyed meeting all the equine professors and learning about their lives, meeting Oatridge students and learning about their college experiences and culture, and I very much enjoyed being able to learn more about my passion (horses) while living in the beautiful country of Scotland. The anatomy and fitness classes were interesting and succeeded in teaching us as much as possible in the short four week time span. The riding classes were extremely fun and the horses and instructors were wonderful. Overall, I really enjoyed my time in the Adelante Equine Study Abroad program and would recommend it to anyone who has a passion for horses and beautiful scenery.

Life changing

This program was a lot of "firsts" for me. The classes were really hands on and real-world applicable. The professors were really helpful and they made sure we were all happy and taken care of. My favourite parts were riding - I had only done some Western riding before so it was a bit of a change! I also liked getting the opportunity to ride several horses to fine-tune my own riding abilities and to gain more experience in riding horses with all varying personalities, strengths and weaknesses. I'm really glad I got to come on this trip and visit Scotland and experience the culture.

Horsey fun

Had a really great time meeting the new people and riding the variety of horses. It was a great experience that I would recommend to everyone. All of the cultural experiences are very interesting a gives you a great taste of Scotland.

Scotland equine study abroad

My experience with this study abroad program was one of a kind! It is such a unique opportunity to be able to study abroad in a foreign country, both traditionally in the classroom and in the arena as well. The accommodations are great for the location and time you are here. The classroom instructors are well versed in their respective fields and are excited about teaching you as well as learning from you about different perspectives based on where you come from. I really enjoyed applying what we learned in the classroom to the horses in the barn, as well as getting to take a field trip and see first hand what a horse in a fitness program looks like. The riding instructors are amazing! I truly enjoyed every lesson and every horse that I had the opportunity to ride! The planned outings are quite fun as well! I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in horses, riding, or an equine career!

The brilliant equine study abroad program

This program was an experience of a life time. I enjoyed every single second I have spent on Oatridge Campus. I could not think of a single bad thing to say about the campus, the people, and the experiences I have shared over the last four weeks. I cannot wait to get back to the University of Missouri - Columbia campus and share my experiences with other who wish to go on this trip next summer!

May never leave

My time here was amazing. Scotland itself is beautiful and relaxing. The program did a great job of emerging us into the culture. We were housed with a few of the local students and they took us in. They showed us around a few of the neighbouring towns. The academic portion of the program was also up to par. I really enjoyed the anatomy and physiology class. We covered a lot of material but there wasn't too much extra work besides a final assessment. The fitness class was also informative. However, I felt like there was a lot of busy work that was really wasn't imperative to our learning. The riding program was also incredibly fun. The horses were sweet but still pushed us to be better riders.

Great equine program

I really liked how much free time we had to see the area, even while taking two classes. I would recommend it to a college freshman/sophomore, as the classes are pretty basic and you would probably have a better chance of getting credits that you don't already have. All of the planned excursions where a lot of fun, especially going up to Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle. We also had a lot of freedom to go where we wanted in our free time. I loved that we had our own dorm room and bathroom, and a common room with a fridge to keep snacks. Riding was a lot of fun and even being a relatively experienced rider I learned a lot during lessons. I Would definitely recommend this program to equine students.

Adelante summer school - Amazing!

I very much enjoyed my experience abroad at Oatridge College. The instructors and workers at Oatridge were all very warm, welcoming, and helpful! They tried to learn our names as quickly as they could, kept up to date with how we were feeling, and if we needed anything they tried to accommodate us as best they could.

The classes were decently fast paced, but as long as I studied a bit after the class and before the assessments, I did fine.

We also got to ride a lot over the course of the program, and by the end of the four weeks everyone was able to do dressage tests and jumping over small jumps, so the lessons were really quite thorough!

I loved the extra trips we made, especially the trips to Loch Lomond and Perth Races.
There were also plenty of hiking places around the college with amazing views, provided you were willing to climb for them.

Scotland study abroad review

I have really enjoyed my time here in Scotland over the past 4 weeks. It has been the experience of a lifetime. I have enjoyed staying here at Oatridge as well as exploring the surrounding cities. The activities that were planned for us were really exciting and I loved being able to have those experience. The girls that I've met here have been so enjoyable to spend the time with and I hope to stay in touch with them. The classes were very informational and they gave me practical experience to be able to take back to the United States to implement into my programs there. I also enjoyed the riding portion of the program and I loved getting to ride different horses. They were all so well trained. Coming in, I wasn't sure how I would do in the classroom because I hadn't taken Animal Science courses before but the professors were very helpful. I loved the whole experience and I cant think of much I would change.

Hands on experience

I really enjoyed all the hands on experience that I received in this program. It wasn't just classroom learning. We actually had applied knowledge to what we learned in the classroom. I loved this program and the people involved with it. I've learned so much about the horse. I definitely would recommend this program to anyone that loves the animal

Summer well spent

Spending the last month in Scotland has been a huge adventure for me. I moved far away from home for college, so this wasn't my first month without seeing family. The program keeps you busy so there isn't much time to feel homesick. Be prepared for lots of horsey time and fun! No riding experience is required, everyone goes at their own pace and the priorities are safety and comfort, they just want you to have fun. The classes aren't always spent in the classroom, often we were up at the yard doing hands on lessons.

Equine summer 2016

This trip has been fantastic! Between the hands-on class work and the riding classes, this has really been a once in a lifetime experience. It's the perfect amount of time, not too short that you don't get to learn anything about the country and not too long that you get home sick. I would definitely recommend this program to any equine science student looking for a study abroad program.

Scotland and horses

This program was great. I got to learn about horses pretty much all day. I learned a lot about the horses that are in the yard and their personalities. We experienced a nice blend of classes mixed with riding. We also got to go sightsee Scotland. There were many fun things to do around here. It is a great program to try.

Equine program summer 2016

I have really enjoyed this program. I was worried about taking 3 hour classes, but we were only in a classroom for the full time maybe once. We often went down to the yard to practice naming structures on the horses or practice equine massage. For fitness we also got hand on experience by getting to go see trainers yards, and it was interesting to see how everyone did things a little differently.
The area is also really nice. There are several public paths around the area that you can explore, and the closest town is just a short walk away. You can also be in Edinburgh with a short taxi and train ride. From Edinburgh you can either stay in the city or find ways to go all over the UK or even Europe. You get to stay in a quiet rural area while still being close to a big accessible city.
The staff are also all great. They have all been very kind and accommodating. If you ever had a problem or worry, they were there to help and sort things out for you.

Spreading my wings in Scotland

I feel like there are too many stories to choose from, so I am just going to treat the whole experience as one. When all of us got to the college we didn't really communicate with the students already going here, so it was an amazing feeling when I was always invited to go to the pubs with them or even just hangout together and order takeout with a movie after a few days. My favourite night though was the day before they left and we all played soccer together! Definitely a night to remember. This soccer night didn't just include all the American students, it also included the Scottish and the French students that were here. Half the time we didn't even know what one another were saying, but to be honest that was the best part. All you could hear all night was laughter, Scottish accents, American accents, and whatever the French guys were saying! It really was one of my favourite nights this whole trip.

Scotland summer 2016

The program was not what I had expected it to be! Oatridge is situated in the countryside, which is wonderful for the purpose of the program and the campus truly is beautiful, however, this makes it very difficult and ultimately expensive to travel to other towns or cities to actually see more of Scotland. Each of us in the program have bonded with the horses and have learned how to adapt to different horses nearly every ride all while learning a new discipline. The classes were informational and the fitness class especially brought many neat opportunities while on this trip! I would recommend this study abroad trip for anyone with a love for horses and riding, but who is prepared to take matters into their own hands when it comes to exploring Scotland.

Summer In Scotland

This experience has definitely been a once in a life time trip. I cannot believe its almost over! We have learned so much from our instructors and from each of the horses, as well as being immersed in the culture. This is absolutely a program I would recommend for an equine person looking to get some international experience.

Great time riding in Scotland

This is an awesome experience for any type of horse lover. Basically, you ride horses everyday and then you have an afternoon class. The instructors are kind, warm and sympathetic. I really enjoyed this experience.

My experience in Scotland

I really enjoyed the fact that we were given ample amount of time to explore the country. The riding aspect of the programme was also highly enjoyable; the two riding instructors are both very knowledgeable and encouraging. I wish that the academic portion of the programme had been more in depth. I felt like we just barely grazed the surface of anatomy and physiology. On the other hand, equine fitness was very informative.

A unique horse experience

This program was a great way to incorporate a love of horses and getting the chance to work with them one on one and the ability to travel and get a real taste for Scotland. I met some really wonderful people that I know I'll remember forever. The experience I got working one on one with horses gave me the chance to hone my skills as a rider and observe the similarities and differences between European and American riding.

Equine Abroad

A very fun and chill program, academics aren't too strenuous and the riding was fun and there was a lot of it! Horses were great, good for every level of riding, lessons could have moved along a little quicker some weeks but they were good none the less. Exposure in dressage and jumping. Really enjoyed the fitness class.

Ponies and Scotland

This program was fantastic!! The horses were amazing, the people were awesome and the trips were great too! We went to several places and I really enjoyed how they made it so we could do what we really wanted instead of choosing everything for us.

Scotland 2015

I absolutely loved this program! The equine classes were very interesting and informational. The fitness class was a lot of busy work (I would recommend a computer for access to typing). The instructors were very helpful anytime you needed them. Riding class was a blast and you get to ride different horses to help you develop as a rider. Both the instructors were positive and very smart. As for the culture, you definitely become more diverse. Aside from the Scottish students We got to met some French exchange students and students from England visiting for the Highland Show. Weekends were usually busy bot well worth it!