Documentary Program Outreach
Actuality Media Header Image Actuality Media Header Image

Documentary Program Outreach

Guatemala 2016

I am so thankful I decided to apply for this program. It completely changed my life. I now not only view storytelling in a different way, but I also view the world differently because of this program.

Tremendous program

This eye-opening program allows you to do good in a foreign country of which you may have no prior knowledge, but leave having made an impact on a local organization, with great memories and connections.

Guatemala 2016

An amazing life changing experience! Whilst learning great filmmaking skills, I made great international lifelong friendships and created a documentary that will change the landscape of water of in Guatemala.

A life-changing experience for student filmmakers!

Even though I had read countless reviews on this program, I could never have expected the impact it would have on me until I partook in it. Just days in, I had felt like I belonged. Everyone was coming from different places in search of a great experience- and that was what we got. Even if you have never travelled alone before, this is an opportunity you shouldn't miss. Actuality Media arranged a great hostel for us to stay at, and food was provided there during lunch. The production supervisors are always there to help, even in non-film problems! The process of making the documentary was incredible: seeing the change that an organization is doing in people's lives and being able to document it is the most fulfilling part about this trip. On a technical note, we were provided with the basic equipment tools, but did end up using our own dslr. Another thing that should be stressed is that each group should bring external hard drives, as that became an issue when wanting to bring the film home to edit (because one week is not enough!). Overall, this month-long program is one that will stay with me for life.

Review

Overall I would rate my experience extremely high. I feel like there were times where tensions got high with crew members but that comes with the territory of being thrown into a work situation with people you don't know. However, I think these tensions were quite character building and taught me a lot about myself. Additionally, at times I felt like I was being given information, technically (mostly in terms of camera), that was ill-informed. I am a cinematography student at UNCSA and some of the advice my crew and I received on camera operation was completely false. I feel very rewarded to have walked away from my time as an Actuality Media crew member with a documentary I am proud of and a myriad of experiences that have changed me as a human being. Additionally, I feel rewarded to have helped a group of people who deserve all the success in the world and are making a genuinely positive impact in their country. The bonds I have made with them will last a lifetime. In summary, my time with Actuality Media was a very fulfilling experience that I highly recommend to anyone with a sense of adventure and a love for filmmaking.

• Actuality Media responded to this review October 09, 2015 at 5:40 PM

Hello,
    We're glad that you had such a fulfilling experience, and we are sorry for any confusion about using camera gear. We do advise that crews stick to using the provided camera kit so that our Production Supervisors are better able to offer support for gear operation, but we do allow for crew members to bring their own gear when they prefer. In those cases we can't guarantee that our Production Supervisors know all there is to know about a different camera.
    Thanks for making such a great film that will definitely help bring international recognition to your subject changemaker!
    Cheers,
    The Actuality Media Team

#NoRegrets

This was one of the best experiences of my life so far and I wouldn't trade my time in Cambodia for anything. I learned so much and I made some great friends. I walked away with a short documentary that I can show my professors and potential employers. I recommend this outreach to anyone who wants to experience an exciting and intriguing culture.

Internship Placement:
I learned a fun and effective way to make a short documentary that I can be proud of.

I got to know many great people and had a wonderful time meeting the locals.

The food situation was resolved but other than that, good job.

Siem Reap in itself is pretty safe. Yamato's security was almost nonexistent but the staff there was very nice.

Social Life:
Made some awesome friends and loved hanging with the locals

Once-in-a-lifetime experience

It's been over a year since I've returned from shooting a short documentary with three other peers through Actuality Media. Words can't describe what a truly amazing experience it was, and if you're thinking about it, there's only a few things to consider before you make the jump and commit to shooting a doco abroad. The key thing you must be able to do is to have an open mind to the culture you are travelling to experience. Read up on the history of the country and its people. Be sure to check your western biases at the airport before you leave, because you're going to experience a lifestyle that pushes you out of your comfort zone (especially if it's your first time abroad). It was my first time travelling to a developing country, and in hindsight, I am so pleased to say that going through Actuality Media was the best possible (and safest and funnest) way I could have experienced Kenya. Sure, you'll get to experience the touristy aspects of the city you go to, but you also get to experience the day-to-day life of the community you are serving and studying for your documentary.

The other aspect of your decision to travel with Actuality is that you must be willing to work hard and learn quickly. Audrey and Robin were excellent teachers and teach you everything you need to know, but you have to be willing to put in just as much work. You're not embarking on a typical vacation; you're creating a documentary to help serve your topic changemaker. Researching and creating my documentary was truly the biggest takeaway from my experience because my peers and I built such incredible relationships with the people involved. We experienced Nairobi through an authentic lens by listening to community members and spending many of our days with them.

My summer abroad with Actuality Media is a treasured experience in my heart, and I highly encourage you to travel with them if you are willing to keep an open heart/mind, work hard, and push yourself beyond your comfort. If you do these things, Actuality Media will meet you halfway and provide one of the greatest experiences of your life.

A life changing experience

My most memorable experience was working with the change maker organization. They were very friendly and I felt what they were doing for the community was inspirational. Hearing the stories of their success and what it translated to made me want to work for them. Overall, there were many memorable moments, I think just living in Kenya for a month was really the best part.

I chose this program because I wanted to make a documentary about a culture I was unfamiliar with. I was also recommended to Actuality Media by a student at my school who took part in the program and had nothing but glowing reviews to say. It appealed to me very much and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Our living situation was fantastic. We were provided breakfast and dinner every day by smiling faces. The actual place we stayed at was a sports academy that had very loving and friendly people. I think we were very spoiled by the people who put us up!

This program fit everything I was looking for

My most memorable experience was the daily routine of living in the hostel, working on the film, and becoming familiar in a city that was once foreign to me.

This program fit everything I was looking for -- a study abroad program that I could use for college credit and toward my filmmaking career as a documentary filmmaker.

I lived in a hostel in a room with four bunk beds, so I was sharing a room with 7 other people from Actuality. The hostel was very accommodating and I made friends with the hostel staff and other travelers who were staying in the hostel.

Cherishable Experience

I have been back in my home country for 2 months now and not a single day has gone by where I haven't thought about my time with Actuality Media in Kenya. It is a memory and experience which I will hold close for ever.
I learnt the equivalent of a years worth of University in a matter of weeks but also learnt about myself and what matters in life in a way that you can't appreciate until you are put out of your comfort zone.
The people who I met and collaborated with, I will cherish for life. The friends I made I feel I will always have as we share a unique and life changing experience. The outreach program is an amazing thing to do, one of which I will recommend to everyone. The people are great, the content is great and the memories are unforgettable.

Internship Placement:
I learnt basically a full years worth of study in 4 weeks. Amazing.

I felt that I experienced Kenya in a way not many tourists would. I felt I became part of the community and was given the opportunities to fully immerse myself in the culture. This trip has been one of the best of my life.

Emails and queries were always promptly responded too. I always knew what was going on and wasn't scared to ask questions about the program.

Like with all travel you have to have your witts about you and when getting used to a knew culture, it can be a bit scary because it is different, but once I was accustomed to the culture I rarely felt threatened and overall I always felt safe.

Social Life:
We were given the freedom to party and explore as much as we wanted. It was excellent!

EXCELLENT memorable time in Nairobi with Actuality Media!!!

My time in Nairobi with Actuality Media is one that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I don't think that there's a better way to have experienced the city and country's culture than by creating a documentary short film with other creative, aspiring filmmakers. I felt welcomed into the program despite that I had little prior experience to creating films, and the academic content of Aubrie's daily briefings taught me all that I needed to know to be successful in shooting our documentary. You'll meet friends from all over the world, work hard and play hard. Joining this program was one of the greatest travel experiences I've EVER had.

Internship Placement:
Aubrie's daily briefings were always well-planned and executed. Each morning's class held so much useful information that was consistently pertinent to the work we were doing and practicing each day. As a current teacher, I admire the academic content that the program provided to me as an aspiring filmmaker.

I MISS being in Nairobi, Kenya with Actuality Media. The program immersed us in all imaginable ways possible. We experienced the slums of Nairobi with local changemakers, traveled out of the city to national parks and safaris, lived in a middle-class setting, and experienced the upper-end touristy destinations and restaurants. While we were there, we truly experienced EVERYTHING, from learning the basics of a new language, to eating the local cuisine each day for breakfast and dinner. I wouldn't trade my participation with AM for the world.

Aubrie and Robin both work very diligently to make this program run as smoothly as possible, while also making sure to provide the highest services possible to creating a documentary short film in a developing country. From overseeing shooting days to editing side-by-side with us in the board room, these two made sure that the overall program was a successful and pleasant experience for us all.

Everyone experienced a pickpocket of some sort, which is expected in urban areas (even in the U.S. or other developed nations), so it wasn't a surprise to experience them in Nairobi, whether they were successful pick-pockets or attempted ones. Exercise caution. Guys, don't put phones in your back pockets or even shirt pockets (don't even take them out with you, you likely won't need them), and girls, pack thin and small purses you can carry across your shoulder.

Social Life:
From the night life to the day light, everything and every moment in Kenya was an ADVENTURE. Don't be afraid to explore the city; we always felt safe during the day, and through exercising caution travelling at night, we were always able to have a blast.

Light? Camera? Action!

The whole project provided a double learning experience for me. I learned about myself and my particular way of learning and also gained really good hands-on techniques in documentary filmmaking. It was something I don't think can be replicated.

Internship Placement:
For me, taking myself out of a classroom, a place where I can learn, was very refreshing. The stimulation and on the ground learning was to me one of the most important parts.

Excellent.

Did a great job. However, I wish there was a little more one on one time with camera equipment. Meaning, a task or assignment to achieve something and also become more familiar with it.

No problem at all.

Social Life:
All the people accompanying the entire trip I wish I lived near and around them. They were inspired and inspiring people.

An Experience

My trip to Guatemala was very satisfying. From the stay at the hostel, to the trips around town I enjoyed every minute. Our overseers Robin and Aubrie Canfield did an amazing job as tour guides and were very professional teachers.

I absolutely loved the homey feel of the hostel we stayed in. The staff was amazing and I would definitely visit again.

This trip satisfied my idea of what a complete cultural immersion should consist of.

Great way to Learn a Film Method that I hadn't previously explored.

Incredible opportunity with a group who understands the issues they want to help present with all the tactical know how of getting the films accomplished and seen.

Internship Placement:
I learned quite a bit about the entire process of Documentary Film planning. Anyone can shoot a film, but it takes a lot to create the story and piece it together.

Cesar's Hostil was an incredible place to stay and even though my class mates and I were packed in tight, the situation was made very easy because of the food.

Guatemala is a great place. tough not knowing enough spanish but it was easy to get by.

Actuality Media is a fantastic program.

Actuality Media is extremely good at what they do. The program is unique, dynamic, and highly instructional. Overall, an excellent experience.

Internship Placement:
All the lessons and guiding from instructors was invaluable. Also, the fact that we were given the opportunity to learn from our own mistakes was important.

Excellent

Actuality Media made my first time out of the country very comfortable. I loved the program and the experience. Would tell anyone to jump on board with them.

Internship Placement:
The lessons we had with the Production Coordinator taught a lot of filmmaking and storytelling.

The hostel we stayed at was fanstastic, safe, and fun. In reference to the living arrangements, we were lucky to have had only 4 to our room - 6 would've been tight.

Being there for a month allowed us to start living like the locals do.

Had everything together and in order.

They gave us tips and information about the area we were staying.

Documentary film making in Guatemala

A really good course that was practical and hands on. I learnt alot throughout the program, in particular practical skills that are best achieved by doing eg. Camera operation and techniques. I had a great time on this program, made life long friends and produced a worthy film in this short period of time.

Really comfortable living provided, nice hostel in a good location

Working with locals where relevant good experience

Safety in numbers. Just don't go looking for trouble.

Social Life:
A small community of travellers; everyone meets everyone!

The best experience of my life

Travelling with Actuality Media has been the most inspiring and best experience I have ever had. I found that the amount that I learned was so much in the comparison to the amount of time that I was there. The production supervisors were excellent to work with and the intimate amount of students provided an efficient student-to-teacher relationship which made the academic learning easy and exciting. Along the hands-on experience of filming, there were classes run by the production supervisor that I found were extremely parallel to the classes from my professors at university. These classes on filmmaking and storytelling helped us when we went out to film. Our progress on our learning was constantly tracked as we had to show the footage we took every day to the production supervisors. She would walk us through the positives and negatives of our footage and show how we could improve the next day. Whenever we needed help with the documentary or encountered problems, the production supervisor was extremely helpful and spent her time with us to assure that we were on the right track, understood and were comfortable with how the film was going. The feedback of the production supervisor was extremely helpful and was open and suggestive and we always decided on our own decisions, as a group, and this created a certain guided independence which was very good for beginning filmmakers under the guidance of the experienced. Working with the other students on the outreach was a great experience; as they were there to learn and work. Ideas were collaborative and our we had a healthy group work ethic.

I had no negative experiences with Actuality Media and definitely recommend this program for those who enjoy learning, studying, filming and travelling.

Internship Placement:
The content I learned through the outreach was extremely similar to how and what I was learning in my university classes, except with more intimate classes which allowed everyone to add their opinions and have a good relationship with Aubrie, who was teaching them. As well as the hugely hands-on learning that was involved in the outreach, the academic learning was extremely effective and rewarding.

Really nice hostel! Very open and I had never been in a hostel before but I am now planning to make it my means of travel.

I was constantly immersed in the culture of the country I was travelling in and enjoyed the personal time we had to immerse ourselves in the city and constantly be part of the culture everywhere we went.

Very well organized and an extremely effective program. The intimacy of the small amount of students enhanced this as well as the great personalities of the administrators that worked so well with the students.

I felt completely safe even though I had heard lack of safety stories about muggings far from the city. But, I felt secure the entire trip and very safe when travelling with people.

Social Life:
There were many opportunities we had to meet other travelers since we were staying at a hostel. We met many wonderful people from all over the world and would go out with them when we were not working.

Max: review for the ages

It was great. Everybody was really nice and I learned a lot of Spanish. The program kicked my butt but a good way. I learned a lot of things that I wouldn't know otherwise and I would recommend it to anybody.

Good program, could be better

I enjoyed my experience with Actuality Media overall. It provided a great opportunity to gain film experience while traveling a foreign country. However I expected to learn more from the workshops, and also more flexibility in the production process. Instead we were given a formula that our film had to adhere to and our film ended up looking like a commercial in the end.

• Actuality Media responded to this review August 18, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Hello,
    We're glad that you had a good experience overall, and offer our apologies that you finished the program with the impression that the structure we teach is a rigid formula rather than a great basis for storytelling.
    Our structure really is a compressed version of the storytelling process refined by human cultures since antiquity - as presented by Joseph Campbell in The Hero With a Thousand Faces - and our goal is to push for crews to use this process to tell a story that audiences will actually want to hear, rather than the common profile-piece documentary that most nonprofits and other organizations would prefer, that only their supporters would really enjoy watching.
    We've had great success with crews using the structure as a basis to expand their story from, but it can be a really hard idea for people to wrap their head around. You are more than welcome to send a hard drive our way to get a copy of the footage and files (if you didn't take a copy home with you) so that you can try for a less "commercial" cut.
    Cheers,
    The Actuality Media Team

No Regrets!

My experience in Kenya was an enjoyable one. The instructors that we had, Matthew Barwick and Loria King, were great in giving their suggestions along with listening to ours. They never just shot anyone's idea down completely. However, I wish that we didn't have to stick with just one format in making a documentary because there are soooo many ways to produce one. However, like I said, it was a very accelerated program with only a month to plan, shoot, and edit to documentary. It was tough, but I am so glad I had the experience. I am an editor at home, and as editor on this trip, I definitely learned a lot about myself in terms of my creativity and how I work.

The country that we got to work in was beautiful. I mean, it's Africa. However I wasn't too much of a fan of our accommodations. We were put in a pretty dull hotel right in the middle of a common town area in Kisumu, Kenya. Though it made for great explorations of the town area, I did sometimes wonder if the natives just saw money symbols on our forehead. I just wished we would've stayed in a more tourist friendly spot for safety reasons, like our stuff being stolen since we are media students after all.

Overall, I am so glad I got to have the opportunity and learn more about something that I love. I regret nothing.

Internship Placement:
I did learn a lot. However, I wish we would've learned how to work with different styles of documentaries, but I do understand that it is an accelerated program and that the videos are more about the people affected by the organization. So I can understand why only the conflict driven approach is taught.

I really enjoyed my stay there. I loved being able to just learn how to live within that culture. Although, I personally wish we could've had some better accommodations. The particular hotel that we stayed in did have some problems in the rooms, mainly in the bathrooms. Also, I do appreciate being immersed with the culture, but just like with other places, natives will look at travelers as money...which could lead to some unfortunate events. Our hotel was in the heart of the town area, and people were in and out of the hotel. Seeing that we are media students, that could pose some problems. On the flip side, being in the town gave us reasons to go out and explore on out own as a group. So, I guess I'm kind of torn in between my views and experiences. But overall, I'm very glad I took part in it.

Our instructors/mentors, Loria and Matthew, were very helpful and were pretty available when we needed it. Robin, although not there in person, was very responsive to emails.

I really wasn't too concerned about my safety, however I was concerned about our possessions. A Note to all travelers out there.....GET TRAVELERS INSURANCE. You never know what could happen. After all, we were in a 3rd world country. If they know that a group of people with nice things are staying in town for 30days, they can get pretty tempted. I advise only taking stuff you're not afraid to lose.

Social Life:
We were kinda of in the equivalent of a country town back in the states. We did live down the street from a club, so that was cool.

Great travel experience for emerging filmmakers!

If you are an emerging filmmaker looking to travel, meet awesome people making a difference, and work in documentary, this program is made for you!! It's a great affordable option for hands-on immersive learning for young filmmakers hungry to travel. An unforgettable experience and well worth it. :)

Internship Placement:
Coming from a film school background, there was information that I had already learned, but was good for beginners to know. I did enjoy the documentary film screenings we had and the discussions that followed.

The opportunity to immerse ourselves in the culture in addition to making a film was amazing. Having weekends off allowed us the chance to travel around the area and explore the culture.

If I ever had any questions, they were always answered well and in a timely manner. I was kept updated in the months and weeks leading up to the trip which really helped in my preparation for the program.

Great Opportunity

Our entire group decided to take one of our weekends off to travel to San Pedro, a neighboring town that catered a bit more to tourists. We all enjoyed spending time together, and getting to know everyone in the group a bit better, and learn where they were from. We also got to know the locals and a different atmosphere of Guatemala a bit better.

I chose my program because of the opportunity to work as an editor on a film while getting to travel somewhere I had never been. It was my first time traveling abroad, which was exciting, and as a journalism student, it gave me the opportunity to learn something completely different. It gave me new ideas on how to deliver stories, and how to capture my visions for said story.

We stayed in hostels, and breakfast/dinner were provided for us. We were also given translators, since English was very rarely spoken by anyone in the area.

My Incredible Guatemalan Experience

My experience in Guatemala was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had thus far. Living and working behind the Guatemalan people was an eye opening and humbling experience. The chance to have real world experience and free reign with your creative control makes the whole process extremely rewarding and educational. It was an awesome trip and a great project to be apart of, I am so happy I had the opportunity to work in the field I love working.

Internship Placement:
I thought the briefings we participated in each morning were extremely helpful and educational, I kept my journal from the meetings and still have it with me now for notation. Outside of the briefings the hands on experience and free reign to control our project was extremely beneficial. I feel that I learned techniques I could not learn in the classroom during the Guatemala program.

Living in Guatemala is thus far the most cultural immersion I've ever experienced and I know that it changed my perspective for the better. In a short month my eyes were opened more than I thought they could be. The learning experience was not only to do with media production, but it was also a personal learning and growing experience.

I think the program administration was appropriate, I felt the set up of dailys and discussion with the group wrapped around the free time we had to work on our own as a team was very effective.

I never felt unsafe while I was down in Guatemala, all of the people there were extremely friendly and welcoming people. Also the instructors were sure to make us aware of any safety issues that need be.

Social Life:
We would socialize as a grow, the 15 of us (interns and translators) became close friends and hung out together constantly. We also became friends with some of the locals, and would speak spanglish with them or have spanish translated conversations.

Worth every cent

This is the best experience I have had abroad. I was with a great group of people in an amazing place and learned so much. Though a month is such a short time to make a film and you think you will be so busy, but the program is designed so you are able to travel and see the city you are in as well as develop relationships with the people around you and the locals. As long as you put in the work you need to do, with the help of the program managers, you will have an awesome time.

Internship Placement:
Learned so much is such a short amount of time

We got to do so much is such a short amount of time, and although we were super busy, we were given so many opportunities to travel on days off.

Gave us a lot of room to do what we wanted, while helping us make really awesome films. Overall one of the best experiences I've had.

I always felt safe, but you had to watch out for your electronics (phones, camera, etc.). Besides that, I felt safe enough to go places by myself during the day and out with a group at night.

Social Life:
We were able to go out to the local clubs, bars, etc. or stay in and hang out. You had a lot of choices which was great.