Study Abroad with American College of Thessaloniki
ACT (American College of Thessaloniki) Header Image ACT (American College of Thessaloniki) Header Image

Study Abroad with American College of Thessaloniki

Studying abroad @ ACT = best decision ever made

Studying abroad at the American college of Thessaloniki was an amazing experience that I would recommend to anyone. This school has a very strong community feel where the professors and administration truly cares and gets to know each student on an individual level. They are all so down to earth and encourage travel and cultural immersion, along with academics. They understand you are here for much much more than just studying and that most of what you get from study abroad happens from learning outside the textbooks. This is a small school where everyone very friendly and supportive to everyone around you.

ACT offers many fieldtrips and activities to suit a wide range of interests. My favorite trip they offered was the two day hike summiting Mount Olympus, which they offer every semester, and was such an incredibly memorable experience. I made such close friends on this trip! Also, take advantage of the free field trip tours around the city offered through ACT on the weekends because the tour guide is great, the city is richly historical, and it's free!

My study abroad experience was much more than I hoped for. Thessaloniki is very safe and the perfect size for this experience. The boardwalk views, nightlight, food, shopping, and friendly local people all make Thessaloniki a very worthwhile place to study abroad.

Awesome experience!

Overall my experience in Thessaloniki was awesome! My dad was really worried about me going because of Greece's economic struggles, but honestly, it's mostly centered in Athens, so going to Thessaloniki was totally fine (actually, great for Americans because the dollar-conversion works in our favor! haha). I always felt very safe. There were so many awesome trips to go on (climbing Mt Olympus, traveling to the beaches, learning how to scuba dive and sail a boat!) it was crazy. I really miss it and I'm already planning my trip back. :)

The classes weren't necessarily the most challenging, but it was kind of what you made of it. If you wanted to study harder, you could, but if you slacked off, you could probably B.S. your way to a decent grade. It was great that the credits transferred to my host university easily though- other study abroad programs I looked into before I picked this track had issues with credits transferring.

It was my first time going abroad and I had heard horror stories from friends going to other places that dorms abroad sucked. Compared to my freshmen year dorms in America, the dorms here were like suites! The showers were really small, but I had my own private room which was nice. The food wasn't the best on campus, but it didn't matter because there were so many other places to eat off campus easily enough.

I felt like the study abroad program had a lot of ways to really get to know both the traditional aspects of Greek culture and the more modern aspects of pop-culture. It was easy to get to awesome destinations like Mt. Olympus or go out clubbing. I always felt safe and it was easy enough to make friends on campus and go out together.

Everyone was really helpful, the introductory orientation was so thorough, it was a bit boring, but I felt like I knew all that I needed to know about what the school offered (trips, restaurants, clubs, activities, events, safety, etc etc) that I could personalize my study abroad and make the most of my time in Greece.

One Life Experience

ACT's study abroad program offers a rich classroom experience combined with opportunities to visit local archeological and historical sites, climb Mt. Olympus, attend outdoor concerts and festivals, and sail the Thermaikos Bay and Homer's wine dark sea beyond. Courses span a broad range of topics and disciplines aiming to meet the needs and interests of American college students wanting to fulfill electives or major requirements at their home school or discover Greek culture, history and language.

Students are introduced to life in Thessaloniki through a two-day orientation program. Housing accommodations include comfortable studio apartments (with private baths and kitchenettes) located in the center of Thessaloniki, steps away from everything. Thessaloniki is extremely safe and hospitable. Numerous cultural events, exceptional and varied cuisine, exciting nightlife, outstanding museums, and astonishing examples of Roman and Byzantine architecture and history will keep you engaged.

Go Abroad in Greece

I loved my semester at ACT! The city of Thessaloniki is perfect for studying abroad - it is very safe, large but not crowded or touristy, and definitely a student city so there is always a lot going on! ACT offered programs to their study abroads such as canyoning on Mt. Olympus, scuba diving at Halkidiki, tours of Athens and Delphi, and trips to Meteora. These experiences definitely added to the overall value of the trip, as I felt like I could see more of Greece than just my home city, as well. Classes were relatively easy compared to my home institution, but it was cool to engage with students from all over the Balkans.

One of the best 3 months of my life

I loved ACT and the experiences I have had here. Thessaloniki is a really cool, unique city. The professors here really care about you and your success. Classes are more based on discussion and class interaction, rather than just memorization. Plenty of clubs, sports, and activities to get involved in. The International Programs Office coordinates a lot of fun events to get to know Thessaloniki and the other study abroad students. I would recommend this to anyone.

Living like a Greek local

My experience at the American College of Thessaloniki was fantastic! Honestly, on campus I felt like I was actually at an American school. The staff and students were very nice and welcoming the whole stay. There were no issues that were left unhandled and the staff was extremely professional. After being there 3 months, I really got use to being around.

A great time abroad

I really enjoyed my time at ACT. I particularly recommend this program to people looking to prioritize experience and travel over academics, because while the classes were interesting, I had a very light work load and was able to take many weekend trips with no school stress. As an added bonus, the school offers a bunch of great weekend trips to places around Greece!! I also enjoyed living in apartments instead of dorms, and our RA's were very nice and helpful.

I had a good experience at NUin

It was fun

once in a lifetime chance

All my life, I wanted to live in Greece, and I got that opportunity to travel abroad for 3 months to Thessaloniki. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I love the city, and the school is fantastic. The professors at ACT are more than willing to help you out whether it comes to extra tutoring, or help outside the classroom. With the economic struggles in Greece, any parent would be worried about sending their kids, but in Thessaloniki, you would have no idea there were problems going on in the country. All the locals are more than helpful and very welcoming to the students studying abroad. The food is fantastic, and some of the best in all of Greece. There is also always something to do, whether you're shopping around downtown in Aristotle square, climbing the white tower and learning about it's history, or even taking a bus trip to any of the beaches around. Thessaloniki is an beautiful and an incredible place to visit, and I highly recommend it.

A Very Fun Experience

Studying here was a pretty fun experience. The classes were too easy, though. The people are nice and ACT always has fun trips to go on and a lot of extra activities to participate in.