VACorps participants VACorps participants

South African Human Rights Internships

Human rights in South Africa

My program was excellent! From the application process, the placement, the internship itself and my experience in beautiful Cape Town. It honestly went better than I expected and I would definitely do it again.

Human rights internship

My time at my internship site certainly solidified my passion for the law and human rights. After spending 10 weeks working in a new country, assisting local residents even with the language barrier & adjusting to a new work environment, I feel ready more than ever to take on whatever challenge I will face in the future. I have learned to appreciate where I come from and my time with my internship site has inspired me to dream bigger and always commit my life to fighting for basic human rights.

Internship at the Women Legal Centre

Through VAC I had the opportunity to work 3 months for the independent law centre the 'Women Legal Centre' in Cape Town. Together with the other interns, we provided legal advice to woman who typical were denied such legal access. I touched upon many topics such as gender-inequality, domestic violence, marriage law litigation and prostitution. I was able to work on case reports, conduct field research, participate in conferences and attend hearings in court. These experiences are truly valuable to me.
VAC organized my accommodation and I stayed in a house with 7 people, among other interns and south African students. Having such different nationalities and personalities under one roof is unique.
The activities organised by VAC are without any obligations but in my opinion give you the full picture of SA you need. Among my favorites are the wine tasting, hiking, snorkeling and visits to animal parks.
You are surrounded by fun, open-minded people with different interests and stories. I made incredible friends and shared unforgettable moments with them. Thanks to my American friends, I even got the chance to get a deep dive into the Thanksgiving festivities!
VAC's staff are enthusiastic, honest and leaders! They share excellent advice.

After my VAC experience, I worked 2,5 years as a lawyer in healthcare but now I am looking to move to Cape Town to extend my professional career there. I fell in love with the city/country thanks to VAC's help.

I wish any future VAC intern a wonderful experience!!

Cheers

Could not have gotten a better experience!

Volunteering in Cape Town has been absolutely an amazing experience! There is just so much to do and to explore in this beautiful city and I have done so many things I did not do before. Sandboarding, quad biking, surfing, paragliding and skydiving, but I also stood on top of Table Mountain and visited Robben Island to see Mandela’s prison cell; this list just goes on and on with so many amazing experiences! Moreover, I really enjoyed seeing all the beautiful wildlife. From an elephant to just walk by right next to me during a safari trip, to snorkeling between seals, seeing baboons, penguins and hey, it might just happen that dolphins swim next to your boat during a VAC Friday Activity!

I got exactly the human rights internship I was hoping for at PASSOP, which is a human rights NGO that helps refugees. I immediately received a warm welcome and they have all been so kind and helpful. They have taken me in as one of them and not as an outsider to get coffee. I have learned so much and am truly grateful for this opportunity. This internship fits exactly into my preferences of what I would have liked my internship to look like. It was a perfect placement and was sad to leave the organization and to say goodbye to my dear colleagues.

I can strongly recommend VACorps to everyone. They did not only make sure I had a great volunteering/interning experience, but made sure that I got the most out of staying in Cape Town as well. VACorps is a very reliable and dependable organization. You are not a number somewhere down a list that gets forgotten once you have paid. Definitely not. Everything is very personal and they truly care about the people in their program. VAC donated a computer to PASSOP for me to work on and for PASSOP to keep when I would leave. When I told them how kind and generous it was to make such a donation, they reacted so modestly about it and only showed gratefulness to PASSOP. I could always count on them, even with things that had nothing to do with VAC or my work. Although I was regularly in touch with them, they often asked me if everything is okay and if I needed anything. I honestly could not have gone to South Africa through a better organization!

Vac is not just a volunteer placement - they go above and beyond!!

I can hardly put into one little comment box how incredible and valuable my internship in Cape Town was and a huge part of that is thanks to the VAC team. Oli and Sean have created something which is so much more than just a company providing internships - they have built a family and a neighbourhood of amazing experiences. The placements themselves are almost always suited perfectly to what volunteers are looking for (I worked for an HIV organisation I had DREAMED of worlig with for years!!) but they put so much effort into making the whole experience a good one ; they organise socials and events, Friday activities and the team themselves were just such a joy to get to know and now call friends. Honestly could not recommend VAC more !! Compared to lots of other program providers available, this is the best I have encountered! Such a worthwhile time investment. BIG LOVE.

Internship at PASSOP

I will take a tremendous amount away from my internship for it helped me grow in many ways. Like most things in life, my internship wasn't entirely what I expected but in the end, this was actually a good thing. It taught me to be self motivated and empower myself to see the changes that needed to be done. The staff was so friendly and working with refugees was unlike any other work I have ever done before. I've truly grown from this experience and am really grateful for it.

My internship experience

I loved working at a human rights organisation! The work is meaningful and varied, and you are actually making a difference. And the office is full of wonderful people who care and are passionate about their work.

Human Rights Internship

Completing a human rights internship was a great experience. Cape Town is an amazing places and there are so many fun activities. My workplace was supportive and I feel like I developed many new skills I can use in the future.