VACorps participants VACorps participants

Refugee Internships in Cape Town, South Africa

Hooked on Cape Town

This internship really stretched my comfort zone. CTRC puts a lot of trust in their interns, so I had a lot of responsibility right of the start. I conducted interviews, processed finances, created a support group, taught human rights workshops and helped organize the CTRC Nelson Mandela day, plus National Women Day. I've learned so much about social work, the nature of poverty and education in South Africa, the effects of rape and war on women and African feminisim in general. My experience with VAC and in Cape Town was wonderful. The VAC staff is so frinedly and supportive, while Cape Town itself is the most beautiful and interesting city. After this experience, I can easily see myself coming back and staying for years.

Only took six weeks to fall in love with a city

My time at CTRC has been so invaluable that I am dreading leaving. I have become so close to mu supervisors who I view as mentors and we have spent countless times discussing potential future careers for me after the experience, and knowledge I've gained at the centre. From the beginning, I was integrated into the staff, even as just an intern and I was challenged to do difficult social work I didn't know I was ready for. I am so thankful to have spent my weeks at such a worthwhile and inspiring job. I only wish I could have stayed longer!

Refugee center internship

I was able to gain 1 on 1 experience with refugees and was very independent in my work. I understand how a social service organization operates in a developing country and learned how to deal with difficult situations myself.

Cruisin' the Cape

It was great, loved the staff, Cederberg was amazing! Friday activities were also really fun! I would recommend talking more about the meal plan and how much it costs/not everyone does it! I wish I would have known that before I came.

My Second Home

I traveled 10,000 miles to find myself feeling right at home. Cape Town has been a place of adventure, leisure, and life lessons for me. I have made friends and memories that will last a lifetime. After three months I have grown professionally and personally more than I would have ever thought possible. Thank you VAC and thank you Cape Town! P.S. Some words of advice: don't over pack, always wear sunscreen, take a mini bus taxi at least once, go on the Garden Route, and make friends with people not form your country.

Internship at ARESTA

ARESTA gave me the opportunity to see hands on the struggles many South African citizens face. It was amazing to see the changes in communities after we implemented our programs.
My internship definitely stretched my comfort zone. I learned to go with the flow and become more patient and understanding. Professionally I learned that you will not always get praised or acknowledged for doing good work but that doesn't mean your boss doesn't appreciate it.

My time in Cape Town

My experience in Cape Town was a tough dose of reality. Learning about the life and experiences of refugees was extremely eye opening. This is in addition to realising some of the realities of working for an NGO. I truly left my comfort zone here, but I was so blessed to have the opportunity to work with many different departments and learn new things about work and myself. Although many experiences were frustrating, as I learned realities, my time here was incredible important to my understanding of the world.

Learning Cape Town

Cape Town is a beautiful place but to fully experience it, you have to immerse yourself in the culture and not just be a tourist doing fun outings and excursions. Walk the streets, get to know locals, and find those little gems that only locals know about. In regards to the internship, be flexible and patient and don't close yourself off. I learned a lot about myself professionally and personally and gained so many skills. This experience confirmed that I am on the right career path and that I truly have a passion for refugee and human rights issues.

Internship at PASSOP in Cape Town

My internship affected me professionally as I learned to deal with many different types of people, I gained more confidence and improved my English. My internship affected me personally as I discovered how many people are in difficult situations around the world. I learned so much!

Cape Town Refugee Center

I don't think I will ever forget some of the refugee stories that I heard and I gained a better appreciation for the resources I take for granted in Canada. I also learned how to better assess peoples' situations and to be more flexible for different ways of doing social work and interacting with clients. I definitely had some doubts about my placement before I arrived, but I learned a lot and grew both professional and personally. My placement site seemed grateful for having me there and I was grateful for the experience.