VACorps participants VACorps participants

Microfinance/Financial Sector Internships in South Africa

The best two months of my Life (Cape Town)

The two months that spent in Cape Town were the best two months of my life. I learned more and did more amazing things than I ever imagined I would. My internship changed me professionally in the fact that it gave me direction. I know I want to do consulting work in the future, specifically in development economics.

Living the dream in Cape Town!

Writing this from back home in the states, reflecting on my past four months in Cape Town creates a feeling of nostalgia for a city and country I fell in love with. Having said that, I guarantee I am not the only individual to make such a claim. How can’t one love Cape Town? It has so much to offer from a cultural, historical, professional, and natural standpoint, that it never ceases to amaze.

Cape Town, in particular, never ceases to entertain. Situated between majestic mountains and two oceans, no matter where you are in Cape Town you will be in awe of your surroundings. This location also means you will never be bored. Whether it was hiking Table Mountain, wine tasting in Stellenbosch, rock climbing in Montagu, or scuba diving in Camps Bay, I never had a shortage of epic events to cross of my bucket list. And that is not even to mention the epic adventures taken with VACorps to Botswana, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique!

My internship at Heart Capital was also a positive experience. Seeking a challenge in the economic development field, my internship certainly gave me challenging opportunities and projects. I got first-hand exposure to South Africa’s economic challenges via Heart Capital, while given jobs requiring creative and critical thinking. It also gave me experience in the business world through meetings with South African entrepreneurs. Overall, this internship gave me unique professional experiences that I could not have found in the United States.

Moving to Cape Town was, perhaps, originally an ambitious decision. However, it turned out to be one I would never take back for anything. After meeting so many fascinating people, traveling to amazing distant countries, partaking in epic activities and/or adventures, the only thing I can say for sure is, “I’ll be back SA.”