University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC COSTA RICA: Heredia - Latin American Studies & Ecology

Pura Vida

This has been the most amazing experience of my life. Costa Rica is known for the saying "pure vida", which basically means enjoy this simple, pure, amazing life. Heredia is in a great location to take a bus ride to San Jose and travel to all of the other beautiful places in the country. It is also great to go to classes at a university (UNA). I've gotten to meet many locals and participate in campus events. My host family is so kind and makes sure I have all I need and am safe. The USAC staff here is awesome and plans fun events almost every week, including soccer games and roller skating. All of the students in the program are nice. Overall, this is an amazing program.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review October 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM

We're so glad you're enjoying your time in Heredia. Pura Vida!

Best Days of My Life- So Far

Having to leave Heredia, Costa Rica after a semester was incredibly difficult. This "city of flowers" became like a second home to me in ways I could have never imagined. I was fortunate to study through USAC, who was helpful in arranging everything from housing to classes to extracurricular activities and providing support throughout the duration of the program.
A typical day included eating breakfast with my host parents and siblings and then heading to the National University where I took classes in grammar, literature, culture and even Latin American dance. After that, I volunteered in tutoring a blind student in English, which was an incredible opportunity also given to me by the USAC program assistants. I was able to get some studying in at a local cafe and had the evenings free to play soccer, go to concerts, watch movies or just hang out with the family.
Living with a host family was the best way to practice my Spanish as they invited me to family functions, and I was constantly forced to converse in the language. They took such good care of me, and again it was difficult to say goodbye. They have plans though to come visit me next summer, which I would absolutely love.
Studying abroad through USAC is something I would highly recommend. It was one of the more affordable options and the staff is extremely supportive. They were available by phone any time of the day and the office was conveniently located a quick walk away. The central office staff in Reno was quick and happy to answer my questions ranging from financial aid to course selection. I never felt like a bother with my many emails and confusions.
I would highly recommend studying abroad through USAC and encourage anyone considering Costa Rica to go.

AMAZING

Studying abroad with USAC was the best experience of my life. This is an affordable program that offers students so many different options around the world without breaking the bank. The staff and all those involved with USAC make it the best study abroad option out there.