Volunteer in Turtle Conservation in Costa Rica

⚜¡Arribada!⚜ ~ Solo balazo

Hopping on a plane alone headed out of the country to spend two weeks living and volunteering at the Sea Turtle Conservation in the small remote village on the Nicoya Peninsula, called Ostional, was easily the best decision I have made thus far in my life-an absolutely unforgettable and eye opening experience, to put it simply. Not only was I lucky enough to be living/working on a beach legitimately considered a Wildlife Refugee-(a beach without the manmade-sea of towels, coolers, umbrellas, and tourists as well)-but I so luckily arrived just a few days before an Arribada began!! Arribada is spanish for "Arrival', and in Ostional once a month, generally, for 2-7 days hundreds of thousands of nesting Olive Ridley sea turtles come ashore to lay their eggs, which is an entirely other incredible experience in itself. I witnessed something that not only most people in the world will never get the opportunity to see-but rather don't even know is a thing at all.
I'm in the process of adding all of my photos from my trip to my eportfolio, feel free to get a better glimpse at my trip that way! :)

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 30, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Hi Emma, Thanks for reviewing your experience volunteering in Costa Rica on our Turtle Conservation project. It sounds like you had a really special time while in Ostional. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to have you back on another IVHQ program at some point in the future.

Pura Vida

Volunteering in Costa Rica was not only a great way to give back to the community while abroad by working in turtle conservation, but in return, I gained so much more than I ever imagined. The pura vida lifestyle of the locals was a great reminder for me to enjoy each moment, and being a part of the turtle conservation effort opened my eyes up to a whole world of opportunities working in animal rescue and conservation that I hadn't even known existed before. IVHQ did a great job connecting me to the opportunity of a lifetime, and if I could do it all again I wouldn't change a thing!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 20, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Hi Laura, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your experience volunteering on the Turtle Conservation project in Costa Rica with IVHQ; it sounds like your trip was an idyllic one. The good news is you can do it all again and we hope to have you on another of our programs in the future.

Solo balazo and Turtle conservation

I spent twenty days in Costa Rica with IVHQ and Maximo Nivel (an official organization in the country). Working with turtles were great, the food was great, the accommodations were great. But what really made this trip unforgettable was the exchange with the community. Costa Rican are sweet and welcoming. The integration in the culture is really what made this trip incredible for me. An adventure I would suggest to anyone who likes experiencing new cultures!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Hi Camille, Thanks for the feedback. It’s great to hear you had such a cultural immersion during your 3 weeks on our Turtle Conservation project. It’s awesome to see some photos from your adventures in Costa Rica. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ and we hope to see you back on another program soon.