Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer with Children in Costa Rica

The children of Costa Rica

I've realised I want to go into teaching due to the pure innocence and love children have to give. Made amazing friends, changed my perspective on a lot of things and generally made me a better person.

Living with people from different cultures was exciting

My most positive experience with GVI in this childcare program in Costa Rica was interacting in the local community, it was fulfilling. And living with people from different background and cultures was exciting.

Everyone was friendly and helpful

My most positive experience during my whole stay with GVI was that everyone was friendly and helpful also being able to teach exercise classes was great for myself and the kids. I would just like to suggest to send out field manual before trip. Design a train the trainer (teacher session)

Amazing experience!

Most positive experience during my stay in Costa Rica with GVI was the last day when all the kids said goodbye to me, even the ones I was teaching! I would be willing to go to another GVI program because it was amazing!

I had a great time

I was able to meet incredible friends and I had a great time with my teacher and my 5th graders during my stay with GVI. I would be willing to be part of another program cause there are so many different programs with so much to do.

I made wonderful friends who I will have forever

The most positive experiences I had were with the people I met there. I made wonderful friends who I will have forever.
I felt that the manager of our program was not suited for the job. He was constantly sarcastic and rude and was always talking down to people like we were stupid. He also made some of the second language English speakers feel uncomfortable because of certain things they said, making them not want to talk as much. He was not someone you can talk to with problems, and when I wanted to request a day off he wouldn't even take the time to listen to my reasoning. I had to go to the woman above him. There should be friendly managers who aren't so rude and smart with everyone. I also was extremely disappointed in the program I signed up for because it simply didn't exist. I had signed up for music thinking there was a program already in place where I could teach kids or at least have a time already set to do so. I was able to play for about 10 kids, two times. One time wasn't even organized.

Working with the children

My most positive experience during my whole trip in Costa Rica with GVI was working with the children. I would be willing to do another program of GVI but the staff needs to be more supportive of work in community center, because volunteers were often left alone.