Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer to Teach English in Costa Rica

All were awesome!

Spending time with the kids, eating Enita's delicious, authentic Costa Rican meals; and learning/speaking Spanish in a Spanish speaking area. All were awesome!

Great time with kids!

I really enjoyed the Spanish classes and the teachers introducing you to the local culture, for example getting you to cook a typical breakfast. When children thanked you for helping them with their homework or seemed to really enjoy lessons. Playing with children in the community centre and when children made cards or drew pictures for you. We held a bodyboading competition on a Saturday morning for the children which was a great experience. I enjoyed helping children in class one-to one. I really enjoyed socialising with the other volunteers and staff and leaving parties.

I hope there were some activities offered in the afternoons (occasionally) or at weekends that volunteers can take part in out with school, Eg salsa dancing or excursions. Sometimes afternoons after school could be long.

GVI are very well organised and staff were excellent. I also met a great group of volunteers. GVI gives volunteers the chance to do a type of job or project that they wouldn´t otherwise in an exotic country. With GVI you know the programme will be well organised and reasonably safe.

Humbling experience

I enjoyed teaching at the school and working in the community center. It was interesting to see a school in another country. It was also very humbling to see students in an impoverished town and hoping that we were making a difference for them.

Incredible experience!

Setting goals and achieving results no matter how small. The best days on project were when you knew what you would be doing the next day and be able to structure a plan the day before to suit and see it unfold.

There could be a little more structure in the field, again I know this may be unrealistic in the community environment we work in, but it could be something to aim for.

I do believe GVI is doing beneficial work and I see it as good way to travel and give something back to the places you visit and enjoy.

Amazing program!

My most positive experience was helping a student, who had failed his English exam, revise for his re-sit for a whole two hours, and then find out he passed the re-sit. I didn't have one singularly most enjoyable experience, the whole program was amazing for me.

I just wish there was more on-program coaching for volunteers who are teaching English e.g. in lesson planning, delivering lessons for 1-2-1, groups etc.

You get out what you put into life and if you are willing to get involved in all aspects of the program then you will have an enjoyable experience. And I'm sure that's what everyone is looking to take from it.

It was a fun experience

My most positive experience during my stay with GVI was Interacting with the kids and painting murals. It was a fun experience, but it was super expensive. I love to travel and serve and have many talents to share, but don't have the financial resources.

Loved my experience with kids

I loved teaching the kids. The rest in mostly in jokes that I wrote down on paper and stuck up on our memory wall.

GVI really is a great program to get involved with and I believe in its long term goals, in my program anyways.

Already missing the kids!

The work with the kids was amazing! I will never forget this 6 weeks and I really miss some of the kids! And it was wonderful to see the result of our work.

Staff should do a training. I signed up for teaching english to the kids but I ended up to teach english to adults. Just because I asked to do also something else i also did one to one help. It was good but not what I expected.

I love to help other people and it was a good experience.

Project was diverse

Host living or evenings spent with local families could be very helpful with learning the language.

Excellent accommodation, very well positioned for work and social time. The project was diverse and able to have several experiences due to this. The country was excellent with plenty of opportunity to travel at the weekends.

This was the 2nd project I did and I always find it well organised and structured compared to other volunteer companies.

A little bit of everything

The best aspect to me is that the program contains a little bit of everything, some sports, some assisting in the classroom, some reading, some kinder, some crafts, some teaching.

To me the house was too small, and the lay out of the house was just ridiculous for a group of 8 to 12 volunteers. The house is okay for a small family (mom dad and baby) rooms were very small. This was very noticeable when all volunteers had to eat, it was impossible to have all volunteers in the living room at the same time. The rooms were okay, although I would've liked it if the bedroom was a dorm for all volunteers instead of two. The fact that we didn't have actual mattresses was disappointing. The kitchen also was too small. But in general the standard of the house was okay to me, we had everything we needed, but in a weird lay out. -- About the food, there wasn't enough. I get that volunteers can't have a hotel breakfast. But I didn't really get why volunteers couldn't have bread for breakfast. Since bread is the most basic of basic food. Lunch/dinner was to me the same problem. The manager provided us all she could, but there wasn't enough variation, and the kitchen wasn't well equipped enough to make different dishes, or to prepare enough food for everyone. We didn't have side trips in the program, which was a little sad to me.

I'm not sure if I would go on another GVI program, because I think it would be better to come back to the place you're already been to. I mean, for example one of the kids made a comment on volunteers leaving, and never coming back, I'm kind of feeling like he means nothing to us makes me want to come back here, work with the same children that already know us. and continue building on their future. I think the future and how these kids feel is more important to me than go and explore something else, or another 'different' country.