Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer on Construction Projects in Nepal

Amazing people

The people (both staff and locals) are amazing - very kind and helpful and I had no problem contacting GVI for any queries. However, if I were to return, I'd love to do so on the condition I went out in some engineering capacity, not just painting. This is because I went out for construction - I'm an engineer and could have been put to more use and left behind a lot more if I hadn't painted for two weeks.

Truly Special, Memorable, and Wonderful.

There were many very enjoyable experiences! I really loved seeing the rooms I had helped paint being put in use as classrooms, I loved all of the social events arranged for my fellow volunteers and I (quizzes, dinners, film night, etc.), particularly the tradition of having a farewell presentation, complete with traditional Nepali thikka and scarf giving, and a special dinner with all of my fellow volunteers and the GVI staff. That was a very special, truly memorable and wonderful evening.

I think volunteering in such an extremely different country has taught me lots of things that I couldn't learn in any other way, and is obviously a much more useful way of immersing oneself into a culture than just going on holiday. I think that volunteering gives one a much truer, fuller impression of a place and its people, inevitably puts you into situations in which you will meet many amazing, generous people and have some eye-opening experiences. I found GVI to be an extremely welcoming, supportive, organised yet flexible NGO, and so, if/when time and finances allow, I would definitely choose to volunteer with them.