Experience life in Thailand and the Thai culture in-depth with this incredible program that allows cultural immersion and a chance to become one with the culture, embracing it through firsthand interactions. Live with a host family and tutor them in conversational English up to 15 hours a week in exchange for free room and board. Spend your free time experiencing the culture by traveling and exploring the area. This program has a focus on cultural exchange and host families are not only excited to learn English but also love to share the characteristics of their country, culture and cuisine.
The Need: Volunteer 15 hours a week helping your host family with Conversational English. That's it. Many Thai families want to learn English or get better at speaking English through conversation. They are willing to provide a private room and 3 meals each day.
* Travel for less.
* You put in a couple of hours each day literally talking, and the rest of your time is spent traveling and experiencing the culture in depth.
* Do you want to learn German or brush up on your language skills? We can easily arrange optional language classes for you. It's up to you. Plus you receive "survival" Thai classes at orientation.
* Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume by volunteering with the Conversation Corps. Job: "Private Language Tutor." References: Global. It just doesn't get any better than that.
* You "meet" your family in advance through email and phone calls. Each family is interviewed and carefully screened by in-country staff.
Exclusive materials written by GeoVisions staff will give you "a bag of tricks" as you engage your new family.
* Join our Facebook Fan page or our Facebook Conversation Corps Group and begin the conversation now. And when you come back, our Returnee network is a great place to share your experiences.
This is a high-energy and really fun position. GeoVisions provides the materials; you provide the personality to liven up a family class or dinner conversation! Find out first-hand how a Thai family lives day-to-day. Sometimes there are opportunities to take part in family activities and to meet extended family. Plus, they can show you landmarks and hidden gems.
2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
Throughout the year, except May and October.
Conversation Corps volunteers must be native English speakers. They need to have earned a high school (secondary school) diploma or certificate, be in good health and abide by the family's rules and habits. Placements are available most of the year and range in duration from one to three months.
Languages Used as a Medium of Teaching
Cost in US$:
Please visit the GeoVisions website for current prices.
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Medical insurance
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
* Personalized Volunteer Placement with a host family through our Partner in Thailand, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organization.
3-day orientation with Bangkok sightseeing, accommodation included.
* A comfortable, safe place to live in Thailand, your own private room, and your meals.
* An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager (and former volunteer with GeoVisions) who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Austria.
* In-country basic language assistance and (optional) language classes. Plus "survival" Thail classes during your orientation.
* Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
* Extensive medical, accident and dental insurance along with emergency evacuation insurance.
* Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
* A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
* Our own text book, A Tutor's Guide--Teaching English To Families and Children.
Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge.
* Two-months membership at Pongo Resume.
* The President's Volunteer Service Award including a lapel pen, letter from the President of The United States and certificate.
- Volunteer Management
This Program is open to
Typical Living Arrangements
Typically Participants Work
Application Process Involves
- Online Application
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network