CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Incredible Experience in Florence

I spent my summer at the Florence University of the Arts through CIS Abroad. Our CIS Abroad on-side coordinator was personable and readily answered any questions. The school had nice facilities and the main campus was in an area that is well lit at night. My professors were masters in their fields and managed to have their students understand the information while teaching in a second language. A lot of places around the city are tourist-y and geared towards American college students, but you can find areas the locals frequent if you look hard enough!

Uncertain at first, but an incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience!

I made the decision to study abroad with CISabroad for three weeks of the summer in Florence, Italy. During the application process, I was starting to get skeptical and annoyed because I felt that a lot of the details on the website were vague, not to mention the outdated and "estimated" information and broken links. I was worried that I was really taking a chance with CISabroad and that I would end up alone and confused on my first time abroad. I was constantly emailing my program coordinator with little questions several times a day, but she was always pretty helpful and understanding. With all that being said, I really feel as if CISabroad had it together once I was in Florence much more so than before I left home. They really provided us with a lot of detailed information about living in Italy in a packet that was sent out right before departure. For instance, part of the packet described what to do to in case of a power outage in the apartment. My apartment had one power outage and if it weren't for the guide in the packet, my roommates and me would have honestly been completely helpless (as they were from a different program that did not provide any information like this). My worries about studying with CISabroad quickly subsided once I got to Florence. The on-site coordinator was cool - he lead us on several CISabroad events ranging from visits to the best gelaterias in town to traveling through Venice & Padua. He was very easy to reach when I needed him; I had a question regarding my apartment and he answered my email in 3 minutes. Now that I am home, I feel like my study abroad experience was a dream. It was truly the trip of a lifetime. I met so many great people and made lifelong friends for sure. I definitely left a piece of my heart in Florence. I do wish that CISabroad had done a better job at explaining the program in depth in the weeks leading up to my departure. However, the only thing I regret is not doing 6 weeks instead of 3. If you are considering studying abroad, I say DO IT! Without a doubt, it was the best decision of my life.

The best time of my life

Florence is an amazing place to go study abroad, the food is to die for, every street is filled with beautiful architecture, and the city is simply perfect. Florence has a huge population of students with almost 1/3 - 2/3 of the population being study abroad students. Because of this there are so many places to go to meet new students and usually there is no trouble in terms of the language barrier. There are plenty of sites to go see around the city and plenty of restaurants have special offers or discounts for students such as free wine! If you ever find yourself out at night around 1:30AM go find secret bakery and get some freshly baked croissants nothing comes close in terms of taste! My apartment was pretty nice from what I've seen and even though it didn't have AC it was bearable regardless of the heat and there was never a moment I felt unsafe in the city. The only downside I see about Florence is the fact that because there are so many students and tourists in the city when people know you're an English speaker they speak to you in English so it is kinda hard to get immersed in the culture. Regardless studying abroad in Florence was one of the best experiences of my life and I'd do anything to go back to the city. Trust me if you go to Florence any city and any food will seem subpar.

Experience of a lifetime

This was the best experience of my life, filled with unforgettable moments and new friendships. I will never forget this summer, and am already dying to go back! I am so great flu to have chosen this program, it was exactly what I wanted.

The classes were well taught, by nice professors

The apartment was extremely nice and in a great location.

The program coordinator did a great job showing us around

Excellent

Overall, my experience in Florence was excellent. The city is magical and unlike anywhere I've ever been before. The minute I left, I was itching to go back. I'd never been abroad before, so this experience was pretty incredible for me. I met a lot of new friends through CIS and my roommates. The city is so safe, there is always something going on, especially at night. I had no problems walking about the city (on the main streets at least) alone. You're sure to run into someone playing an instrument or some kind of other spectacle at any time of the day when walking the streets. It takes a little bit to get used to the winding roads in Florence, but nailing down simple directions was easy once you learned how to find the Duomo from which you can get to pretty much any place in the city. After that we learned just getting lost was the best way to figure it out. Traveling about Italy was very easy for the most part. We traveled to Cinque Terre with Bus2Alps (Cinque Terre is a must, so beautiful) and Venice on our own, which although was a bit more complicated since we had to figure out our own train tickets, was still smooth sailing. Overall three weeks in Florence was not enough, and I can't go back soon, I'm absolutely in love with the city!

Teacher was very knowledgable, class very interesting, didn't feel too long, breaks were in between, learning about wine was very interesting, learned a lot

Our apartment was excellent. Plenty of room, very nice, really great location. I couldn't have been happier

Some details were uncertain about move in, classes, and various other things like trips and details about scheduling

During the day, I never once felt unsafe. When we explored the city at night, I was usually with at least one other person. We walked all over the city, down back alleys and on main streets, and never had any issues or felt uneasy. I walked around on my own a few times, and stuck mostly to the main streets, but I still never felt unsafe. Florence's late-night culture meant there were still lots of people milling around even into the early hours of the morning.

Social Life:
Italy's social life is inviting, infectious, and exciting. The people are so friendly and welcoming, they made the city feel like home without even trying.

Summer in Firenze!

If you are at all confused on your direction in life, study abroad – you will have an entirely new perspective! DO IT! You won’t regret it.

Summer in Florence

After studying in Florence for one week I have fallen in love with Italy. I have learned so much about the city history through my Italian Renaissance Class. I am excited about exploring the rest of the city and regions around Florence!

Summer in Florence

So far my trip to Florence has been amazing. I was surprise at how fast we all got accustomed. I love getting to experience a new culture and try new things. It’s also amazing how easy it is to travel and sight see even after classes. I love Florence!

Summer in Florence

Studying in Florence has been an experience of a lifetime! I came not knowing anyone and Florence is a great place to come! So many international students and you don’t really have to worry about a language barrier. So many fun classes are offered at Florence University of the Arts and the teachers here are awesome! I would highly recommend this trip!

Amazing Experience

This experience has taught me so much, everyone should study abroad and they should do it with CIS. I have heard from other students that their programs do not even keep in contact once abroad but CIS schedules fun events and they help you get acclimated to a new country.

Summer in Florence

I really enjoyed my time spent in Florence. It was an experience of a lifetime! Florence University of Arts was a great school with so many great classes and activities. The city is beautiful each day you'll find yourself in awe at the beauty of it

CISAbroad - Summer in Florence

Summer in Florence with CISAbroad was a rewarding and enlightening experience. The on-site coordinator was readily available and eager to help students get adjusted to the Italian lifestyle. The classes were great. I had an unforgettable time and would recommend studying abroad through CISAbroad to anyone.

Dooooo Itttttt

Had the best time abroad in Florence. It was only for three weeks, but that was the perfect amount for a homebody like myself. I know that it made me a better person. I went not knowing anyone, so I gained courage and confidence before I even landed in Italy. I didn't get sick of Europe at all. Florence is a great place to visit pretty much any where else in Europe so easily. I took a weekend trip to Greece. If three weeks seems too little, pretty much everyone I spoke to had someone from their family coming up at the end of the program to travel more, and thats what I did. Already planning going back to visit!!!

amazing experience

amazing experience, I would recommend participating in a CIS Study Abroad program to anyone!

Great apartment and living situation. Only problem was that our washer wasn't working and so we lost power on one of the second to last days in Italy.

ABSOLUTE BEST Summer of My Life

I spent 6 weeks in Florence, and I've got to say, it was amazing. Yeah there were a few bumps in the road, but we'll ignore those because everything else completely outweighs anything bad that happened. From the food to the sights to see, it was all incredible. The school we were studying at was great too! It had a restaurant that had student chefs (amazing food) and a bakery place that had things that students also make. I never made it there, but my friends said it was amazing too! The class was not too hard, but also not easy. However, only having class on Tuesday and Thursday helped a lot. Also because of this, we were able to take weekend and day trips to places outside of Florence. Some of these trips include my best memories of the summer. There are so many trips and opportunities that base themselves in Florence because there are so many students there! So I would say definitely take those opportunities! CIS also set up a day trip to Lucca, a city about an hour from Florence by train. We spent the day wandering around the city, climbing towers, and bike riding around the medieval walls. It was so fun! Through FUA, the school, we got to go on a weekend trip to Rome. This was also a great trip! We saw the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel, St Peters Basilica, the Colosseum, and the ruins! These were all led by a great tour guide. On our own time, we saw the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. Back in Florence, our apartment could have been better, but it was still a nice place to live. It was in a great area where there were lots of restaurants, things to do, and a fresh food market! Overall, this summer was amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone even slightly considering study abroad!

My class was challenging but not overwhelming, yet it was also incredibly interesting!

Our apartment was not the best. It was filthy when we got there and the bedding was not clean. However they did come and clean it. Our wifi didn't work except wen you were standing directly near the box. The showers both overflowed during each shower. We called to get this fixed, but no one showed. Regardless of all these things, however, the apartment was good. That's why I have it a B- rating. It was big and had lots of windows to let in light and cool air in the morning. Also, it was in a great area where there's a market, lots of restaurants and bars, and it's very close to the Arno, school, and the Duomo.

There's no way that anyone could have not gotten an amazing cultural immersion experience. From the staff to the events to merely living in Florence, it's all around you. Everyone was so helpful and the staff have us all tips for things to do, like apertivo, day trips, or the best places to get gelato!

Life changing

I had the most amazing time studying abroad in Florence. I met so many amazing people and had the best time. It was fun to learn about the Italian culture and break out of my comfort zone. Studying Abroad truly changed my life.

I enjoyed my classes but in a few of them I did not feel as if I learned very much.

I had the best time with my roommates they made my experience so amazing.

I feel like I got into the Italian culture and learned about the people.

I believe CIS was a good program to go through

Florence felt very safe even as a women walking around. I wouldn't walk around at night by myself but i also wouldnt do that in America. I never felt unsafe.

Social Life:
I met some amazing friends from classes, traveling, and living together. I made so many new friends and got to go out with them all the time. I never felt like I was bored or lonely.

Pretty amazing.

The experience itself was amazing. Some of the program can be disfunctional but nothing is perfect. It was definitely worth it.

I felt safer in Florence than I do my hometown.

amazing but house living was terrible

The program and the classes were very enjoyable. The housing was pretty bad though. We had to have all of our appliances fixed upon arrival because none of them were functional. There were no screens on the window so the misquitos were terrible.

There were no screens. We had to leave the windows open due to hot temperatures and the Mosquitos were unbearable. Water on the stove took two hours to boil so eating at home was incredibly difficult.

positive

this has broadened my horizons.

Class was great, and professor was very knowledgeable on the subject.

apartment was older and in slight disrepair.

Summer in Florence is the Place to Be

This was such an incredible summer, thanks to FUA. I studied voice and opera at the University and I had FANTASTIC teachers. In six weeks, I feel like my voice has improved dramatically and I know so much more about how to interpret music. In terms of the living in Florence, it was extremely easy to assimilate - and our apartment was HUGE! We lived on a very central street, so we were 5 minutes from every grand landmark (Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, Uffizi, Galleria, etc). It was a perfect location, and I couldn't have asked for a better place to live. All in all, it was an incredible summer - I wish I could go back already!!

I adored my teachers, they are such incredible people. I feel like I've improved immeasurably.

I had great roommates, but not a great bathroom - but it was livable!

I didn't speak Italian with any students, but I did speak Italian with locals. I felt like by the time I left, I knew a lot about Italian culture.

It was disorganized, certainly, but they are so welcoming and kind.

Florence is a very safe city, I never felt like I was in danger.

Social Life:
My roommates and I were best friends by the end of the trip. We did everything together, including travel to other countries, and we loved each other very much.

Florence

I love florence it is a great place with friendly people.

Living

Living conditions were unsanitary and inexcusable. Mold in the showers and beds were cots. The worst part about the entire experience was the unfairness between apartments. I was stuck in a dirty apartment with no air conditioning while it was 100 degrees every day while others had a nice, clean, air conditioned apartment.

Summer in Florence

I had an amazing time and made some great friends out of my roommates. I explored new parts of myself and enjoyed all of the culture and beauty Italy had to offer. I loved the planned trios with Alessandro and my professors and the cooking classes offered free by the school.

Summer in Florence Review

I loved Florence! It was such an amazing city. I wish I would have done my research, however, because the heat in the middle of the summer was brutal. The time of year I went would be the only thing I would have changed about the experience.

great

Overall CIS was a great experience. The only complaints I have is our apartment was extremely dirty the first day we moved in.

Our apartment was dirty the day we moved in. The sheets weren't clean and the floor made our feet black. There was also a note left from the previous tenants "warning" us that the apartment was gross. Also the internet did not work in the back rooms.