CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Limerick

4 months in Ireland

Where do I even begin? I had an absolute blast. Don't get me wrong, I had my share of struggles while abroad. Like being in the Cologne airport in the middle of the night, by myself, with no phone and no idea how to speak German. But, I was able to take away valuable lesson from every hardship that I faced which only made the trip that much more meaningful. I loved the program that I was on for so many reasons. First of all, I was able to integrate with other study abroad students outside of my specific program, as well as native Irish students. UL is awesome at opening up to study abroad students and making them feel very welcomed. I also loved that those of us in Limerick would meet up with the people studying in Dublin to travel around Ireland together. John Hayes, our fearless leader and on-site coordinator always made sure that we were safe and comfortable. I was actually traveling through Germany when the Brussels bombing happened, and John had called me to make sure that I was alright before I had even heard of the news. I have gained so much personal growth from this trip. I was able to become much more independent as well as confident in myself. I can't wait to go back again, and strongly suggest that anyone who is able, go abroad!

Fall 2014 experience

I had a wonderful experience in Limerick with CIS. They were very supportive through the whole process, the living situation was great, and I had no problems with classes. I particularly liked that we had an excellent advisor to support us and take us on amazing trips I enjoyed very much.

Semester in Limerick

UL was the some of the best 16 weeks of my life. I met people from all over the world and made lifelong friendships. By joining different clubs and societies I got to see new parts of Ireland and meet tons of Irish people. If you want great craic, go to UL no doubt!!

Fantasticly Amazing

I loved CIS.

Amazing.

This study abroad experience was something that could never be forgotten in my life. I've fallen head over heels for this beautiful country of Ireland, and without the time taken to arrive, settle and go to courses, the real taste of the culture cannot be appreciated without staying in a new land for at least a semester. A new perspective and respect will be developed and loved at the end of the stay abroad and those that really participate will feel as though they've lived here for years

This program was fantastic. Courses were challenging and provided lots of new information for students looking to broaden their horizons

Thomond Village was absolutely perfect. At first it was tough to adjust to walking so far from campus, but the views from our balconies are the BEST on campus. CIS should be proud to have access to these buildings for students and overall, they aren't the farthest accommodation, so that becomes even more appreciated in the end.

Limerick University and CIS was on top of their programs about getting international students incorporated into a new country.

Answered all questions when needed and provided PLENTY of information

Never, ever felt harmed. Since Ireland doesn't run on Wifi and I didn't have a smart phone, sometimes panicked when I couldn't use my phone to help me get from one location to another; it was more of a feeling of being lost

Social Life:
Hard to really get into the "inner circle" of the Irish students as they know you're leaving in a year or semester, so they don't invest as much time. However, most of the study abroad students cling together at first and eventually dissipate into the crowd of other students. Everyone seems to make one or two really good friends they'll have forever

Great Program Amazing City

If you spend a semester in Ireland go to Limerick. It is the heart of Irish culture! Great opportunities to mix with local students. Classes are great but challenging! Highly recommend.

Ireland Experience

CIS abroad was not organised well. I got more help from University of Limerick International Office than I did from CIS. It was still a great experience and I am so glad I took this opportunity. I am still abroad, but this time I enrolled directly through the University.

• CISabroad responded to this review July 13, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Thank you for your feedback. The International Office at the University of Limerick is an excellent resource for students and is one of our oldest overseas university partners. We are sorry to hear that your experience with the US team was less than satisfying, but we are thrilled that you have stayed in Ireland. - Karen Carswell, CISabroad

UL Review

CIS was a great company to go through for study abroad. The home offices in the United States are very good at responding to any questions in a timely manner with knowledgable answers. While abroad, I had a great CIS representative who took us on four excursions and was always accessible if we had any questions. The international office at UL was very friendly and had many opportunities to immerse with other students. My living conditions were average although we had our own rooms which was nice. Traveling from UL is easy enough, although we mainly flew out of Dublin Airport because it was cheaper. I would recommend UL to anyone interested in studying abroad in Ireland. Although it is not as big of a city as Dublin, the people and scenery was great in Limerick.

Life in LImerick

The time I spent in Limerick was absolutely unforgettable. The people at UL were so kind and willing to help you with whatever you needed. I think what truly made my experience was getting involved with as many clubs as I could. There were so many activities available to the study abroad students, you just need to be willing to step out of your comfort zone and do them.

The classes I took were challenging, but fun! Since they do their degree program differently they were eager to help the incoming study abroad students.

I was able to immerse immediately. Everyone was extremely friendly.

Social Life:
The pubs and clubs around town were awesome. And a good time was always found at the stables pub on campus

A Health to the Company

What really made this experience the most memorable was the people that were along for the ride with me, and helped show me the way. You learn more from talking to people than you ever will from a class, which by the way were phenomenal as well. Ireland is the most beautiful country in the world, and I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to study there.

Accomodations were great, but I had messy and loud roommates.

Some of the best folk and culture in the world

Kelli Malone was wonderful in every way. Glad to have her.

Great security system on campus

Greatest people

A New Home

Limerick is grand! The people are so welcoming and the university is fantastic. There's always something going on. The city also has a great location so it's pretty easy to take day or weekend trips anywhere in the country.

Amazing experience

I had the time of my life over here.

I loved my apartment! It was way better than I could have imagined

Irish are very welcoming

Can Anyone Say...Amazing?!

This was the most amazing experience I've ever had and I'm so thankful that I got the opportunity to do this! It's crazy to think that I ever had any doubts or worries because everything turned out perfectly and I can't imagine my life had I not done this. Whether you chose Ireland or Thailand, take the chance, because you will not regret it! I'm so sad that I have to leave (in 3 days) but I wouldn't change it for the world.

The classes were a lot different from mine at home since this is a big school, but it gave us a lot of free time to wander.

I liked living in a suite style dorm with other international students.

Since they speak English and live much like we do, I never felt homesick or had culture shock.

Everyone here was very helpful and ready to help when you need them.

Apparently Limerick isn't the safest place in the world, but I never felt unsafe or threatened in any way.

Awesome!!!

Love it!

I had a great experience on this trip. I love the group I was with, I also loved John Hayes. He was helpful and kind and he was always will to help. The updates and the photos he posted also made it fun.

That's Limerick City, Kid

Ireland, for as small as it may seem at times, has an infinite amount of unique places to travel to, things to see, and people to meet. Studying abroad in Ireland is not just about living in Ireland, it's about living in Europe, and you will meet people from all over Europe also studying in Ireland. Who you hang out with will shape your time abroad, so it is important to put yourself out there as soon as possible and not stay in your room every night. Limerick has a good nightlife, with lots of clubs and cool pubs. It is busy with shoppers during the day, and it is easy to get around by bus.

Classes were challenging and career-oriented. However, since my particular major at my home university does not have a direct equivalent at UL, I had to pick classes from different majors at UL, making scheduling conflicts common due to the way their courses are scheduled together.

No complaints about my room, but my roommates were messy and my neighbors around me were very noisy late at night.

Most fun I've ever had meeting with people. Other erasmus students were particularly interesting because they have their own culture but are attempting to immerse themselves in Irish culture in the same way you are.

You may hear a lot of people talk about Limerick being safe, but I had no problems during my semester abroad.

Most fun I've ever had.

Exciting!

I loved my study aborad experience. I didn't leave the country with any kind of expectations, and that's the best way to do it. I enjoyed my time abroad because I was up for anything, I had friends that came with certain expectations - such as the difficulties of classes and the easy immersion into the culture - and they had a difficult time abroad. Just be open minded and have fun!

The course offered here were much different than in the USA. They do not use continuous education, instead they usually have one paper and one test per semester.

The accommodation I was given was my least favorite out of all of the villages available. I did not get a choice in where I lived.

The people were very friendly.

I had no idea what I was supposed to do once I was dropped off at the University. The international office staff were not very helpful throughout the semester.

I felt safe in Ireland, but Limerick is known as "stab city."

Social Life:
There was only so much to do if you didn't want to drink every night.

CIS Semester in Limerick

I had an amazing time in Limerick. I did not have an amazing time leading up to my departure. My adviser in America was less than helpful when it came to answers. She was not have a while lot of knowledge on the program and it was very difficult to get a hold of her. It was also very inconvenient that our excursions were not planned ahead of time. It made it very difficult to plan other trips when we would have very little notice about when excursions we had already paid for would take place.

• CISabroad responded to this review July 13, 2015 at 12:34 PM

We are so sorry to hear that you didn’t have a great experience leading up to your Semester in Limerick. We thank you for your feedback, as we strive to improve our programs year after year. -Karen Carswell, CISabroad