CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester in Edinburgh

Edinburgh the Wonderful

CIS Staff was extremely helpful before, during, and after the program. They helped to take care of the important stuff which really allowed me to relax and enjoy my experience. It was a once in a lifetime trip and I learned so much about myself. I suggest everyone tries a program like this. Edinburgh is a prefect choice and CIS are an excellent help.

Scotland Offers a Traveler Everything

My semester in Edinburgh was unlike anything I've ever experienced. The culture and beauty of the city is plentiful, and the locals are welcoming. Spend plenty of time attending events and visiting restaurants in the city because thats what will make it feel like home. When you plan trips to other places most travel mainly to other European con tries, but do not forget the country you're in. Isle of Skye is a must, as are the Highlands. Day tours around the country will be your best outlet to do so. Emerse yourself in the culture; try haggis, go to a ceilidh, celebrate local holidays, and talk to locals. This trip is what you make of it, but its hard to make it anything less than wonderful when you're in such an amazing city and country.

Outstanding.

I can't express how much I enjoyed myself. Scotland everything I had hoped for and more. CIS runs an amazing program there and I honestly do not think I would have enjoyed myself as much if I hadn't gone through them. They were able to answer any and all questions and their contact in Edinburgh was their biggest asset. Jeanna was one of my favorites parts of going to Edinburgh. She was so kind and so involved in getting us to see Edinburgh and experience the Scottish culture.

Edinburgh: An Easy City to Navigate and Enjoy

With great public transit and a set up that puts most things within easy walking distance of each other, Edinburgh is a city that doesn't require a program of structured events to enjoy, though a list of things other people have recommended is handy to have. A good map will help with planning, but will most likely only cover Old and New Town, so Google Maps, or something similar is a good resource to have. During my stay, I didn't require any of the support the program offered, and managed to get a lot out of the city with visits to museums and galleries, unguided walking tours, and a willingness to take a wrong turn.

I felt very safe walking around the city at large on my own.

Social Life:
Making friends in class wasn't as easy since everyone seemed to already know each other. Making friends with my flatmates was very difficult, both because the set up of the flat made casual interaction without seeking other people out really difficult and because their tastes and personalities were so wildly different from my own I didn't feel comfortable being myself around them without risking ridicule.

A truly wonderful, life changing experience.

I wish that there was some magical word or sentence that I could come up with that would sum up my life for the past 5 months. Something easy that I could project outward onto everyone around me that would sum up how truly magnificent and extraordinary it has been. I'm at a loss because I know I can't adequately describe how beautiful the (very frequent) rain is or how it feels to stand at the top of the city or how liberating it is to know that in an hour or two you could be in an entirely different country. Yes, the classes were sometimes embarrassingly absurd and sometimes homesickness hit me with the force of a meteorite, but none of that compares to what I got in return. I learned self-sufficiency like I never could have imagined. I learned how meet people wherever I go. I learned to let go, to really lean into the adventure, because that's what I got out of all of this: an adventure. I wish I could more neatly describe how it was worth it because the location is beautiful and the food is great and the people are lovely. Those things are all true, of course. But it was worth it a hundred times over because it has changed me forever. Somehow I traveled 4000 + miles to find a piece of myself here.

The nice thing about my academic situation while over here was that it was much easier than my home college, however, I'm not sure I learned as much.

Wonderful flat, would have liked a washer and dryer that was in building though. Good location.

Location allowed me to interact with the locals constantly, although there were still usually a lot of Americans floating around. It's an easy city to immerse yourself in.

I didn't really deal much with program admin.

I never felt unsafe and didn't have any bad experiences with that, but some friends of mine did.

Social Life:
Good pubs. Some clubs are okay too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Overall A Great Experience

I loved studying in Edinburgh. CIS coordinated everything with my home university, and that was so nice. It allowed me to truly enjoy my time abroad. There weren't any program trips or anything like that, and CIS' involvement pretty much stopped once I got there, but I liked that because it allowed me to enjoy Scotland on my own without having any commitments.

The best time of my life

I had the most amazing time in Scotland, and Jeanna was the best On-site Director I could have asked for. She was always there to offer a helping hand and offer suggestions and knowledge. We really would have all been lost without her those first few weeks. She was amazing every step of the way, and even helped put us in contact with other CIS directors in the countries we traveled to.

My Semester in Edinburgh

I had a lot of expectations going into my semester abroad, however my semester was better than I could have imagined. Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful and safe cities I've ever been to. I'ts not too large and not too small, with plenty to do both in the way of tourist attractions and pubs (over 700 of those!). I don't regret my decision to live and study in such a great place.
Edinburgh Napier is, by other university students' standards, not the nicest school in Edinburgh. I didn't mind it, but there was a culture gap in the way students in the UK learn. I'm used to having assignments every week and tests every month, but in the UK they would have (maybe) one project and then a final. It was definitely a big adjustment to make. The housing that Napier offered was nice, despite having a kitchen too small for 8 people and a radiator that decided to start spewing water in the middle of the night. The location of the housing was wonderful. Only a 10-20 minute walk from the city center, where there were plenty of stores, tourist attractions, museums, and, of course, pubs.
One of my favorite parts of being in Scotland was how welcoming our on-site director Jeanna was. She was always ready to give us directions or recommendations of things to do and see.
Overall my experience was spectacular. I'm so glad that I took a leap and decided to study abroad for a semester, although I was so sad when it ended. Hopefully I'll get to go back in the near future!

My incredible time in Edinburgh

Edinburgh is an amazing , and underrated city. If you are thinking about going to England , I would suggest that you also look into going to Scotland. Great education, amazing nightlife, incredible history

Edinburgh CIS ABROAD

The experience was life changing for me. I now feel as though I am a different person completely from when I first arrived in Edinburgh. I feel as though I am more myself and more independent for certain.

Edinburgh is an amazing city for students!

There were some problems with CIS getting me my paperwork in time. I did end up getting it the day before I left for Edinburgh. I know other people in the same program who also had problems. But, the adviser in Edinburgh was great. She arranged a welcome dinner the first night, helped people know where to go when they were sick, and let us know what was going on in the city. Edinburgh was a wonderful city to live in. I didn't know anyone who was eager to leave at the end of the program. The vibe of the city helps you feel right at home. The people are friendly, it's easy to get around by bus or walking, and I never had any bad food. The university is different system than my home university, which I found a little hard to get used to, but I had interesting professors who seemed to care about their jobs. It was very easy to spend the weekends travelling and taking day trips around Scotland. The airport, train stations, and bus station are all easily accessible. Overall, it was an amazing experience that I'm so happy to have had!

It was a different way of taking classes. I think I would have liked it more if I was more used to it.

The flats were in a perfect location. There were some small roommate issues, but since I had my own room it was easy enough to get away from it.

In most of my classes, I was the only American student.

There were some problems with getting paperwork before leaving, and I know other people in the same program who had similar issues. The adviser that was located abroad was great! She arranged a welcome dinner where I met the friends with whom I spent most of my time, and sent out emails letting us know about events going on in the city.

Edinburgh has a reputation for being one of the safest cities in Europe

Social Life:
I sometimes have a difficult time making friends in a new place, but I met two other students at the welcome dinner the first night, and we became very close and spent a lot of time travelling together, walking around the city, and visiting the nearby pub

Best semester ever with CIS, a nonexistent "program"

Studying abroad in Edinburgh, Scotland was one of the best ideas i've ever had; It has been my absolute favorite semester or college--traveling throughout the country and the rest of Europe with amazing new friends-- However, the CIS program is a complete waste of money when you could do a much cheaper exchange program for the exact results.

Napier University is a very relaxed academic environment with teachers who fulfill the requirements of their jobs.

The flat itself was not as impressive as it was presented in the CIS introductory videos, but the location is impeccable and the people I met living there made it worth every penny.

Scotland is one of the best countries I have ever visited with incredibly welcoming people and an enriching culture.

The CIS program itself was almost invisible throughout the entire semester. I wish I had done an exchange program such as ISEP because I payed a lot of extra money to a program that did ultimately nothing for me besides provide me with bed linen. I thought CIS would be much more involved in my study abroad, but they just drop you where you land unlike programs like CIEE or ISA.

Edinburgh is an extremely safe city...I never felt uncomfortable being a woman alone.

Social Life:
Edinburgh's night life is tons of fun and there are so many amazing people to meet there!

Semester in Edinburgh-Fall 2014

The Semester in Edinburgh is absolutely an overall amazing experience! The only really bad complaint that I have regarding the program would be the awareness of academic expectations not being explained to me. I would have liked to have been informed of that before I left.

The people make the experience.

As far as the living situations go, I know people who had a much better living conditions and more of an integrating into the lifestyle the first week or so. Other than that, the people you live with and the friends you make, at least in my case, make or break the experience. The friends I made and the memories I have from being with them are what I'll remember most. We were all similar in that no one wanted to really travel every weekend because we all wanted to experience and know Edinburgh for the citiy it is.

I feel that professors at Edinburgh Napier actually wanted students to learn and to teach them to not be afraid of failure.

Cold water, and old/overly used living conditions. Toilets would often stop working and no hot water in the shower.

I wish in living we had more of an opportunity to live amongst more Scottish students rather than international.

I didn't really need/talk to anyone within the program while abroad.

I had no concerns even walking around the city alone.

Social Life:
I wish that more Scottish students lived with us.

So So

I had most issues with the financial miscommunication and a lack of information from Mr. Gem. I was threatened to be sued by him as well just two days after i arrived. We didn't know who was picking us up at the airport and just waited for someone to find us.

Studying In Scotland

I really jumped blindly into my study abroad experience and I can honestly say that it was the right decision to make. I learned so much while abroad not only from school but from living in a new place. I learned how to cook and plan travel and how to get from point a to b on my own. Scotland was welcoming and fun for me. Within the first two weeks I already had friends from class who invited me out with them. Classes were not too demanding and professors were very helpful. The accommodation however was the only flaw in my experience abroad. The flat I was given was not ideal and my building super hated his job and his residents from the start. If I could I would avoid living in the same flat again but beyond that I had no issues with the city, people, or overall Edinburgh experience. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys going to pubs or having a hands on learning experience in the classroom. Be warned it is a drinking culture and most Scots imbibe more often than your average American.

Very friendly teachers and students

They really messed up on the housing for us there. nothing worked and we were constantly inspected and charged for minor flaws in the apartment or pre-existing issues. The building manager was an angry man who would rather yell at you than help get you acclimated. He was rude and mean to us from the first day until the last, I was glad to get out of there.

I met a lot of great people there and traveled all over the country

Cis contact was very helpful and lovely to get along with.

Best time of my life

I'm not exaggerating when I say that studying abroad was the best thing I've ever done in my life. I was extremely nervous to come here at first in January, I had no idea what I was getting myself into because I am usually a home body. The second I got off the plane I met girls who were living in the Wrights Houses with me and we became close friends for the rest of the trip. I met the best people here, and explored the beautiful country side and traveled Europe for spring break. It's hard to put into words so that someone can really understand how I feel about this trip, but it has meant the world to me and I never expected that. I haven't missed home once and I wish I could stay here for another year. I encourage everyone to study abroad at some point in their school career. You really won't regret it.

Napier was extremely unorganized with abroad students choosing classes at the beginning of the semester. Apparently they got rid of their exchange student faculty last summer so no one really knew what to do with us. On the other hand my classes we're pretty good. The work load was really manageable and the teachers were great.

I love having a single and i met all of my best friends in wright's houses. The location is perfect too. The hot water would run out a little too often though. Other than that the living situation was great.

CIS helped in the beginning of the trip getting here, but after that I didn't hear from them at all... a lot of my friends who were in other programs had trips organized for them by their program but no trips were organized for us. I had a blast planning my own none the less but it would have been nice to have had one set trip to meet everybody.

I have personally felt very safe this whole time I've been here (especially after traveling Europe, Scotland is the safest place ever). But in the beginning of the semester 2 of my friends got beaten up very badly by some random guys and the accommodation officer didn't do very much to help. They are fine now but that was the only time we all questioned our safety.

Social Life:
I have met the best people ever. Actually met a girl who became one of my best friends and travel buddy through out this trip. I also reconnected with a boy I went to high school with and we started dating right in the beginning so that added some fun to it. I absolutely love my group of friends and wouldn't change them for the world.

Review of Edinburgh

I really loved Edinburgh, Scotland. Honestly, I want to move back in a few years. I was not a fan of my living situation, though. I would've liked to have a say in who to live with, or perhaps a questionnaire so you can be pared with people that have similar interests.

Edinburgh is one of the safest cities.

Incredible

This was one of the greatest experiences of my life! Edinburgh was a beautiful city with such charm. Having housing provided for me was a major plus. Great location and a safe area to live in.

A City of Opportunity to Find for Yourself

Edinburgh was an amazingly beautiful city, and Scotland is, to me, Europe's little secret. The city-feel and countryside are within an hour's drive from each other, so there's something for everyone. However, be wary of the schooling differences. Teacher's expectations are hazy, grades seem to be assigned randomly, and Americans stick out like sore thumbs. It is also difficult to befriend locals- they are friendly but will not make the first step to get to know you. Although there is much to do in Edinburgh, I suggest getting out and exploring the rest of Scotland and Europe. Cheap trains course throughout the country, and Edinburgh is the perfect location for cheap flights to other countries.

The grading system in the UK was much different than in the US. Teachers also seemed to assign grades randomly instead of systematically. Expectations were also hazy.

I made many friends in my building. However, all of the students on my building were American, which wasn't quite the cultural immersion I was hoping for. Plus, the building supervisor was very picky about cleanliness.

Everyone I was close to was an American, and it seemed like my school tried hard to separate me as such. I only lived with Americans and most of my classes were international classes- which made it hard to feel like a part of the University. The locals were also hard to get to know.

I did not feel like I was on a program. We did not go on any trips, which is something thhe website offered. It just seemed as though we were a random group of Americans at this University. There wasn't anything unifying about the program.

Edinburgh feels like the safest city I've ever been in. I would walk home alone and night and not fear for my safety. We never had any trouble.

Social Life:
Always something to do, but the clubs get boring after awhile. Try hard to make local friends for house parties and the like.

Napier provides for a multicultural experience

For me, Napier provided multiple opportunities to meet lots of Scottish students and other students from all over the world. The CIS program initially helps you to meet up with people you can travel with or explore Scotland with and then leaves you to do what you want with your time abroad which is nice. I had a really good experience networking and have made lots connections over the past year. The only thing that maybe could have been better is if there were trips you could go on with the program as it can be slightly difficult to find people to travel with. The school however does have a program that you can sign up for that ogranizes small, cheap day trips for international students within Scotland.

Wrights houses. Had a few problems in the beginning, not a big deal to get them fixed. Pretty good security. Felt a little "babysitter-ish" with the staff checking in on the flat all the time.

Plenty of Scottish students and culture however there were also a suprising amount of other cultures. Most of my class was French.

Administration would help you if you needed anything however I felt as though I had to keep pushing more than necessary in order to get any information.

Edinburgh was very cut and dry as far as places to be weary of at night but the city was extremely safe. I rarely heard of any crime. I never felt unsure when walking around by myself.

Social Life:
Lots of clubs, great night scene

meh

scotland is a beautiful place, and edinburgh is a beautiful city. my roommates and i enjoyed it immensely. cis, however, may not be the best option to get here. when i arrived i was told we would be doing events at least every month. i'm still waiting for the first one, which could be fun (i leave in two weeks). the beds at this place are like sleeping on rocks, if the rocks have springs that attack you while you sleep.

furthermore, as living arrangements it appears that they just lumped all the americans together in one building. this is a terrible way to promote inter-cultural learning.

classes were quite easy

these apartments are bare-bones and the beds may be the most uncomfortable things on earth. good location though i suppose.

cis did absolutely nothing to immerse me culturally except help me get to scotland

everyone was helpful when i asked for help

Social Life:
if you are looking to go out and spend minimal money, it is certainly an option. there are nicer, more expensive places as well.