CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Semester at Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona

student

My time abroad was an unbelievable experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. The professors I had for classes were very knowledgeable and kind. The program overall helped me out with everything I needed.

New home

Barcelona was the perfect place for me because of its culture, language, art, food and social life. I loved everything about Barcelona and it will always hold a special place in my heart. I will definitely be back soon.

barca

Barcelona is a an absolutely beautiful city and I would recommend it to anyone. The on-site staff are all very friendly and have provided numerous weekly activities etc. for one to take part in. I definitely enjoyed my experience.

Life in Barcelona

This experience was the best experience of my life... It teaches you to grow and become more dependent upon yourself - all while exploring this world. Barcelona is truly magical. I already am missing it.

Barcelona

CIS abroad has a great staff in Barcelona and regardless of the issues with my apartment I would still recommend it to everyone! I hope people choose this program and love it as much as I did. The on-site staff in Barcelona was amazing and supportive!

Loved every single day!!

I loved it! Had an amazing time! Met great people! Staff was super friendly and very helpful:)

Professors were great! Wish there were more business courses.

Absolutely lived my host family:) great experience!

Very helpful!:)

Social Life:
Met great people at my school

More than I could have ever expected.

Barcelona. Also known as, the best city in the world. I was kind of leery going into this semester with the goal to work on my Spanish and work towards fluency because of the Catalan culture that Barcelona is covered in, but it was not a problem at all. I lived with a host family and learned more than I could have imagined. So if that's your reason to go to Madrid instead of Barcelona, don't do it. The city is just unbelievable and draws you in from the start and makes you never want to leave. From the food, to the beach, to the nightlife, everything leaves you constantly satisfied and needing to have more. I recommend this program to Barcelona wholeheartedly, simply because it has been the best 4 months of my life.

The Best 4 Months of my Life

My experience in Barcelona was literally the best 4 months of my life. I am in love with this city and I never want to leave. The possibilities here are endless; there is always somewhere to explore, something to see or someplace to go. The little things about this city is what will amaze you - the little hidden bars and shops, the really cool architecture in the older parts of the city.. the great view from so many different sites.. The people of Barcelona are so kind and welcoming, I absolutely will be returning for grad school - if not to live in the very near future. The friends and memories I have made will last me a lifetime. Thank you CIS!

My classes were extremely easy. The class content for my two business classes was not challenging at all, and I feel like I didn't learn much.

The apartment was great! Good location and nice building .. however its unrealistic to expect 5 students to be as quiet after 10 p.m.. even when we were sitting and talking in our living room we got complaints

I always felt pretty safe. Use common sense and you'll be just fine.

Awesome Experience

I highly recommend this program. Great staff!

Barcelona

I had a wonderful experience and i have grown as an adult with the experiences I have faced.

Best 4 months of my life!

It is hard to even begin to describe my time in Barcelona. Ever day was an adventure. The city exceeded my expectations by 10. There are so many places to explore, and each area of the city is different and unique. That being said it is not so huge that you won't be able to figure out how to get around relatively easily. The program really helped at the beginning with planned activities. You also have plenty of time to do things on your own, but they have a good mix of guided activities as well to get to know people on your program, as well as get to know the city. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and if you are willing to ask they will help you with almost anything you want to do in the city (find a running club, volunteer, etc.). I would recommend CIS to anyone who wants to study abroad! Such a life changing experience.

A Wonderful Semester in Beautiful Barcelona

I had a wonderful experience with CISabroad's Barcelona program. It was very well-organized, the staff was enthusiastic and helpful, I enjoyed my classes, and I loved living in the absolutely gorgeous and unique city of Barcelona. The CIS events and trips outside the city gave me the chance to learn so much about the region's culture that I probably never would have discovered myself. I really have nothing negative to say about my time here, and I recommend the program wholeheartedly

Best City I've Ever Been to

CIS Abroad was incredibly helpful right from the beginning. During the summer I had a lot of help from Marquisa
with my forms and even when I screwed up she was always there to help. Academically speaking, I loved my
classes but I had a very difficult time the first week because there was a miscommunication and I was told
I was taking different classes than what I was signed up for. Because of the time difference this was very difficult to
resolve but Marquisa still helped me out immensely. My one recommendation is that you guys do more programs
involving locals because it was difficult to meet locals because we all took study abroad classes with other study
abroad students. Also, most of our trips and excursions were just with the other American kids. I loved the excursions
and trips, those were amazing especially Granada, that one you guys should keep no matter what.

A culturally enriching, experience of a lifetime.

Everything about this program was amazing. The cultural activities every Wednesday were incredible, the classes were easy but gripping, the city is thrilling, the opportunities to travel are abundant, the night life is filled with energy, the beach is wonderful, and the advisors are helpful. I definately feel like I got my money's worth with all of the extra trips CSI put on for us. However, a lot of people had a hard time with their homestay family being incredibly stingy and rude so I would recommend an apartment style. However, if your goal is to learn Spanish then go for it, you can always switch and your chances of picking up the language are so much better with a family. The homestays are also a little bit out of the way of the city making it hard to enjoy nightlife in the city because of the metro hours. However, just look into the night bus hours and you're golden.

All of my classes were extremely interesting with amazing teachers. They were less demanding than my classes in the States, but overall really good!

My host mom was incredibly stingy with us and sometimes it felt like we were trapped in our room because she would question us if we left, but she was very nice and I enjoyed her. Plus, it helped so much with my Spanish.

Embracing the Experience

Coming from a small university and living in a small town Barcelona was overwhelming (and I mean this in a good way). When I first arrived the city was amazing, the staff were there each step of the adjustment phase. CIS is unique in the way of all of the things they offer such as weekly agendas of what to do/see and activities. I studied at UAB which is a pretty big program and it allowed me to make friends outside of just CIS through my classes. Through the many activities and excursions I learned to fall in love with the city and the country. Barcelona is an amazing city and at the moment extremely interesting to be in due to the movement of succesion from Spain. CIS had great staff and I really enjoyed getting to live in this city and learning as much as I could about it. In the past four months I have learned more about myself that I have in 20 years of being me.

Classes are pretty doable still able to learn but not so hard it affects your time to travel and enjoy the city. UAB is awesome too because even through CIS you get to meet a ton of other people studying with other programs. Campus facilities are pretty good, printing is interesting due to only one of the two campus allowing free printing but all in all good school.

Apartment had everything it needed for the most part. Had my own room and a shared bathroom with one other person. Lived with international students so it was cool to get to know students from outside of the US

CIS had many opportunities to get involved into the city. We had an intercambio where we got to meet students who lived in Barcelona and then were able to set up a language partner if we wanted to. Also CIS was great that almost every week we would have some sort of optional activity whether it be walking around one of Barcelona's many districts or a day trip in or outside of the city. The walking tours were one of my favorites because it showed the city outside of what we normally may walk to

The onsite staff here was amazing. Between the interns with the program and the staff there it was so easy to pop into the office ask a question. The program director is awesome too; Everyone is friendly and always trying to help if you need it.

Barcelona is a great city, very little violent crime but at least 1/3 of the people in programs normally get pick pocketed at some point during their stay here. One just has to be smart about it and they should be fine.

Social Life:
Amazing city always new opportunities to meet new people and get out and explore new places.

Experience of a Lifetime

The staff was very helpful prior to my coming to Barcelona and also helpful during my stay. Barcelona is an amazing city and they helped me make the absolute best of my time here.

good professors and class schedule

did not like sharing a room. Liked the apartment a lot

gave good tours and info about city

good communication and organization

Feel safe walking around alone but like any city there are some sketchy people. Also pickpocketers

Social Life:
Always things to do and the night life is amazing

Best experience of my life.

I couldn't have asked for a better experience. For future study abroad students inform them more about the economic aspect. You end up spending a lot of money also explain to them how easy it is to travel around Europe but give them an idea of how much they could potentially spend in a weekend trip. Also give more information about the classes that students pick. Very vague descriptions of the classes do not really sum up what they are.

If you have common sense you'll be fine. Don't attract attention by being a loud American and don't put things in your back pockets.

Amazing nightlife

Barcelona's Architecture

The most breath-taking and beautiful part of Barcelona is certainly the architecture and art. So many famous artists took part in shaping the city. I wanted to live in a "typical" European city and Barcelona gave me that. If you want clubs, you can find them. If you want delicious food, you can find it. If you want to see beautiful architecture, open your eyes. Barcelona offers an urban city feel on one street, and on the next you are in winding roads shaped by old, beautiful buildings. This is a dream city.

I loved my host family. They were accommodating, kind, and friendly. I enjoyed my room, the food, and the company of the family. I learned so much about the Catalan culture and lifestyle.

I never felt as though I was in danger, but I also did not walk alone at night.

Social Life:
I did not enjoy the night life of Barcelona.

Fall 2012 Barcelona

Really enjoyed my experience here in Barcelona. Our program was one of the smallest, and we had by far the most activities. Really helped us get the most of our time here in Barcelona.

The Spanish grading system takes a little bit getting used to. Not a ton of options for classes.

Host mother was amazing. Living quarters were a little small, and the bed was terrible.

Lots of activities to help use integrate into Spanish culture.

Very friendly and extremely helpful.

We had someone break into our apartment, luckily nothing was stolen.

Social Life:
Not allowed to have guests over, which was weird.

barcelona

barcelona is a great experience

standard sudy abroad classes. work is relatively easy except for midterms and finals

internet and washer were poor. but you get what you pay for

program was great different activitys

rich is great laura and elena as well

except for pick pocketing the city is very safe

Social Life:
craziest semester of my life

Content

I'm happy with my overall study abroad experience. Barcelona is an amazing city and I loved experiencing the Catalan culture. Homestay was the greatest decision, I loved my host mom and her son was very nice. The house was great even though I was in a barrio a bit far from everything. UAB wasn't what I was expecting but I loved my teachers and getting to know my classmates from all over the world. Being at UAB, I wasn't in contact with the directors of CIS on a daily basis which had its good sides and bad sides. A draw back was that I didn't get to know them as well as I had wished or thought I would but something I saw as a perk was that I felt very independent here and more integrated into the culture all the while with them a phone call away.

I had the BEST HOST MOM EVER. A big room with a big balcony to myself, and amazing food. It was a little far from the center of Barcelona but totally worth it!

CIS Barcelona

Had an amazing semester in Barcelona and the CIS abroad staff were amazing. Wouldn't have picked any other program.

Program Advisors

Great people to work with and a lot of fun.

Great

I will miss Barcelona very much. I have made wonderful friends and really got to learn about myself while traveling. A truly wonderful experience

The classes were a little boring at sometimes, but everyone was very nice.

they should have done some kind of personality test before grouping.

the program did a really good job of making us adjusted to the new culture.

Everyone in the program was always there if I needed help, and were willing to go the extra mile for us.

Some parts are a little sketchy, so its important to listen at the orientation for safety tips.

Social Life:
I love the social life here, it's probably one of the things I'm going to miss the most. People here don't go out until really late so it's an interesting change from the states!

Very good experience

I thoroughly enjoyed the cultural experience of studying abroad. I would have chosen a better school though.

The university I was at was not very good. The teachers were very forgetful and very unorganized

An amazing program full of loving people.