CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Intern in Barcelona

Good

I loved being abroad it was the most amazing time ever. the people I met there I am still friends with some. We all did something and bonded in a way that you only can with someone going through something like that. I wouldnt change those I met for the world.

Barcelona with CISabroad: a great decision!

Since the reviews online were a significant factor in making my decision, I'll give you guys a thourough summary of my experience :)

APPLICATION PROCESS:
When I decided I wanted to do an internship abroad, I started to research and research. Most study abroad companies were too expensive for my budget, so I was trying to find an internship on my own and arrange everything myself. However, I had very limited dates available and most "free" internships had very strict start-end dates and lasted anywhere from 3 months to 2 years! I finally decided to search for scholarships and other financial help, which I got from my university, and after a lot of research, I decided to try it out with CISabroad. I chatted a lot with CISabroad staff, who happily answered my questions, and I read reviews in every website. I found that CISabroad was the better-reviewed program. The only negative reviews I found, I shared with the CISabroad staff and asked them to clarify them for me, and they were happy to do so. They finally convinced me to apply, giving me step-by-step instructions. My only complaint would be that, sometimes, they would take their time to answer my questions, but to be fair, they never ignored any of my concerns. When your applying to a study abroad or intern abroad program, you must understand that there will be times where you will just have to be patient. CISabroad has hundreds and maybe thousands of students applying to programs all over the world, which is really cool, but also takes a lot of time from the staff.

HOMESTAY + Getting there
Thankfully, I got accepted into the Intern in Barcelona program and received a discount for applying early :) The day finally came and I was officially on my way to Barcelona to have what would become one of the best experiences in my life. However, I had some flight delays/cancellations, which affected my schedule, but the CISabroad onsite staff worked around that, which I appreciated so much. I got to my homestay, which I absolutely recommend, and had a nice lady waiting for me. I stayed in a really nice neighborhood in Barcelona really close to my internship placement. I had my own set of keys to the apartment, 2 yummy homemade meals a day, and an amazing host family (for real, you guys, EXCELLENT!)

INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT:
Throughout the process, I was really anxious to know what my internship placement would be. I asked the CISabroad staff about it, and they told me they had to wait because they couldn't know until they had all my information since the internships they provide are customized to the student preferences. In order to get to know me, they called me a few times and we also had a skype interview. I had to wait some time for them to tell what my placement would be, but at least they told me a week before getting to Barcelona, so I had an idea about what I would be doing. My 2 interests were management and international business, which are my two majors, but I also have a minor in Strategic Communications, which allowed them to place me in a communications agency focused on the health industry. At first, I was a little bit confused because my internship didn't have much to do with international business, and I wasn't very excited about the health industry either. However, I quickly adapted and loved everything about my internship because my coworkers gave me a lot of responsibility and allowed me to do significant work, which was the most important factor to me. In fact, this internship made me realize that I want to pursue corporate communications after I graduate college.

CULTURAL IMMERSION + TRAVELING:
CISabroad holds many meetings that help students understand the local culture. They go from classroom orientations to neighborhood tours and sharing a meal afterwards, and even cooking lessons! The amount of activities CISabroad has for students and interns lets you get to know other foreign people, but the onsite -local- staff is so kind that they become your friends, too. In order to get to know more locals, you must really participate in the process. My co-workers, host family, church or other encounters, and other students were gateways to doing this. In addition, my internship schedule was Monday to Thursday from 9-2 pm., which allowed me to explore the city afterwards. I fell in love with Barcelona and its unique culture. There is so much to do, a great transportation system, constant opportunities to meet new people, amazing food, and... the beach: all I need to be happy hehe. Also, since I had long weekends (sometimes used for CISabroad activities, like going to a nearby town), I had the opportunity to travel to other european cities, including cities in Spain, France, Italy, and England.

Last advice: go for it! Your dream is possible :) Good luck!

Life Abroad: Internship, Travel, Food, People...

Barcelona is a awesome city to live in. Consider the living of cost of many countries in Europe, Spain is a great country is study/intern abroad. My personal feeling is that your goal is to learn Spanish then choose study abroad program where you attend classes. But if you want know more about local people, local business cultural,etc internship is better. After all, everyone will have difference experiences with same story. I love the onsite cultural activities. It helps me to reconnect with other interns, onsite staffs, and enjoy the food at the same time. My internship placement was not a "best" fit for my optimum placement. However, I did gain some basic people skills and logistic which is critical in business or in life in general. People in Barcelona is very enthusiastic. Double cheek greeting, the closeness between people are something I miss a lot after I came back. Food in Barcelona was also good, most famous one, tapas. Whenever I don't know what to eat, i will always go for tapas, is easy, and fun to eat. i did alot of traveling while I was in Europe, some over the weekends of internship, some are after internship finish. I was able to find really good budget flights from Barcelona where I leave really early on Friday morning , and comes back on late on Sunday night. Public transportation are very accessible everywhere in and around Barcelona at a reasonable price.

Barcelona is the Best

I loved every second that I was interning abroad in Barcelona. My company placement was excellent, and everyone that I worked with were so kind and helpful. The culture of Barcelona was fascinating, and this is a program that I would recommend to everyone.

Amazing Experience

I was honestly blown away with all of the extra opportunities that CIS Abroad offered. My expectations for the program seemed so minimal in comparison to all of the social events, networking opportunities, travel excursions, and optional gatherings that they connected the students with. They were also very flexible and truly cared so much about our individual experiences. I was able to get coffee one on one with some of the staff on multiple occasions. They were quick to smooth over any questions or issues I had with anything and were also amazing mentors throughout the process. I highly recommend using CIS Abroad if you plan on interning or studying abroad.

Interning in Barcelona

My internship with CISabroad in Barcelona was one of the best experiences of my life. I did not have a chance to study abroad, so participating in an internship abroad after graduation was a perfect opportunity. I was in Barcelona for 12 weeks interning at a marketing company. The program had a mix of students and interns from all over the US. I signed up for this trip without my school and without knowing anyone, and was so glad to see how kind and welcoming everyone was to each other. The CISabroad staff were friendly and eager to help with anything throughout my entire experience. I would absolutely recommend an abroad experience with CISabroad. I wish I could go back again and again.

Great Experience

I loved everything about my internship especially my placement in a nice school. The onsite staff were great. They were very nice and friendly and helped is with any questions or concerns. They really made the experience better. They were very knowledgeable and helped us settle in smoothly. They gave us tons of valuable information and tips. They set up many different events and trips to help learn new areas and to meet new people. Things could not have gone better!

My Study Abroad Experience

Going abroad, I was a little overconfident. I thought that I wouldn't experience culture shock at all and that I would just arrive and jump into the Spanish life without missing a beat. Oh, how naive I was. While every part of my study abroad experience from my homestay to my internship and my the friends I made were all amazing, it was still overwhelming to be in a new culture for the first few weeks. I missed my friends and family back home and more importantly, I missed a culture where I knew everything. After a few weeks, however, I got more acclimated and became comfortable and happy and was able to fully enjoy my time abroad. I started traveling, reaching out beyond the borders of Spain. As I sharpened my Spanish language skills, I began to form stronger relationships with my advisers and co-workers at my internship. If you have the chance to form friendships with locals, do it. First, it is a great experience that you will likely never have again and it will help you form a deeper understanding of the culture. Second, they are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about basically any question you have about the city you're studying in and give great advice for trips as well.
If I could give any advice, I would say to spend more time traveling in the country you choose to study in than I did. I did travel to Sevilla, Girona, and Madrid while I was studying in Barcelona, but I wish I had traveled to other areas such as País Vasco and Málaga as well. I think that visiting more areas in the country in which you are studying will provide you with a deeper cultural experience, is less stressful (easier traveling), and will leave your wallet a little fatter.

Best interning experience

I have SO many wonderful experiences, but I would have to say my favorite day was the day that we went about an hour away from the city of Barcelona on a hike up Montserrat. I love hiking back here in the states so it was an amazing experience to get the chance to do something I love in an entirely new country.

I chose CISAbroad because their base office was located in the town over from me and they provided me with wonderful service right off the bat. They were wonderful with helping me decide where to go and then so helpful all throughout the process and experience abroad.

CIS set me up with a lovely home stay. I knew the home stay was the way to go. It was the best way to immerse myself in the culture. My host mom would provide us with a simple breakfast and delicious dinner. I ATE SO MUCH FOOD. She cleaned our rooms, did our laundry, and was always willing to answer any of my questions about Barcelona. It was nice to have something of a “homey” feel since I was certainly missing my family.

I had the best interning experience this summer in Barcelona.

This summer I interned abroad in Barcelona through CIS. I cannot imagine doing my interning abroad experience all on my own. They were so helpful and set me up with such a wonderful internship as well as home stay. Leading up to my flight, my program coordinator in the US was so helpful and more than willing to answer any questions I had. When I got there, all the onsite staff and activities that they provided us with were amazing. It was a great way to experience a new culture in a "structured" way. I feel as though if I did this whole process on my own, I would have been such a mess and wouldn't have been able to enjoy my experience as much as I did. I could continue to rant on and on about how stellar of a time I had, but you should just read all of my other blog posts about my summer in Barcelona. (:
**I can't post my blog link here, but it's on wordpress- type in: vqbarcelona

I only participated in Spanish classes while I was abroad, but they were well taught and very patient!

Barcelona is AMAZING

Six weeks in Barcelona was the perfect time for me to: make new friends, experience a completely different culture, and also learn a lot about myself that I would not have learned had I not traveled abroad.

My host family was absolutely amazing! I loved living with them!

I was a little nervous about pick pocketing; however, it was stressed to me so much that I (fortunately) was not a victim.

This experince changed my life

I couldn't have asked for a better internship and better experience in Barcelona, the entire trip was life changing, I only wish it was longer.

One of my roommates was extremely disrespectful and bullied me for most of my trip. I also lived with all females.

Amazing.

They did an amazing job!

I never felt unsafe during my stay.

Social Life:
It was hard to meet people being that our program was so short. , however I met some great friends through CIS whom I am visiting in the USA.

This experience encouraged me to pursue my dream of working abroad as an expat.

Through this event I was able to make lasting relationships and business connections throughout the world. My internship required me to connect with expats in many countries throughout the world. It was amazing to have the opportunity to live and work in the fast paced environment of an international start-up company.

It wasn't a bad living situation. I just would have preferred if there was a family instead of just a doña.

The cultural agendas that were sent out weekly were very nice. Even if I didn't want to participate in some of the activities, it kept me informed on what was going on around me.

The on-site staff was extremely helpful. Also, Marquisa did a great job of helping me get prepared to go abroad.

Fantastic internship abroad

This internship abroad in Barcelona couldn't go any better. The entire staff was very helpful, friendly, and welcoming. It definitely beat my expectation both as a tourist and as a worker.

Great Experience

I learned a great deal. I had an awesome time and I personally think every student should experience this.

Great Experience

I´ve really enjoyed the internship program and am very satisfied with the staff and accomodations.

Barcelona is awesome

Interning in Barcelona was definitely a life changing experience. The CIS people are very helpful and very nice. Barcelona is an amazing city and anyone who is thinking about going should! Even if you don't speak spanish (or catalan!). I could not speak spanish at all however people in Barcelona were mostly very nice about still helping me to find my way around and to find the places i was looking for. If you go in the summer, make sure to stay in town the weekend of San Joan, incredible fun on the beaches that night. Wouldn't trade my experience here for any other place in the world.

Way more then i expected, wonderful living conditions compared to expectations

Never had any problems getting in contact with administrative people in Spain

i personally never felt like i was in danger in my entire time in barcelona. wile i would encourage people to be careful, i never was pick-pocketed or even approached in any kind of manner that would make me afraid. very safe city

Social Life:
Never a dull moment really, either out at a local bar or sitting with my roommates on our balcony watching the local kids play futbol below in the courtyard. When neither of these things was going on we always were out doing things, too much to do in Barcelona to sit around at home all day

Excellent Internship in Barcelona

My internship in Barcelona with KIMbcn was a great experience both in and outside the office. At the internship placement, I learn a ton about business and market analysis from a technical perspective but also learned some Spanish and even how to use LinkedIn, which is essential in the 21st century. At the office I learned much about the culture of Spaniards and even received tips about where to go and what to do. Outside the office, I learned about our local neighborhood Gracia which is probably one of the best places to live in. They've got great local food for amazing prices!
The cultural immersion activities were fantastic learning experiences, especially the cooking class, tours of the city and networking events at Barcelona Activa and Dostrece.
Overall, I didn't exactly learn as much Spanish as I'd hoped to but I am still surprised by the amount that I did learn. I will definitely be back to Spain.

I learned many things from doing the internship in Barcelona with KIM Global. Most of my learning was either relating to business analysis, using LinkedIn or using my soft skills when communicating with people. The Spanish classes on the other hand were in my opinion oddly placed as I was too tired after work to learn anything at all.

I loved the very Spanish flat we lived in. We were located in Gracia, which is a lovely neighborhood and the flat itself was relatively tech-free which was great as it taught me about traditional living in Spain.

I think that I was very well immersed into the culture, especially thanks to the location of our apartment. The Spanish classes did help me understand the culture, and so did my Spanish speaking friends.

I think the program was administered very well and I had no problems whatsoever.

Barcelona is a very safe city, but the only problem is pickpocketers. They are never armed, but will prey on unwary tourists.

Social Life:
Everybody in Barcelona is very nice and friendly. There are also many ways to meet people from bars and clubs to just walking around and talking to people at stores etc.

Best experience of my life!

Spending 9 weeks of my summer in Barcelona, Spain was one of the best decisions of my life. CIS helped me so much transitioning into a new culture with a new language. I enjoyed all of the activities, day trips, and weekend trips planned that helped students fully immerse into the culture and try new things. I loved living in a home-stay because it allowed me to learn so much more about the Spanish culture as well as try authentic food. I was very comfortable in my living situations. I have made such a strong bond with my host family as well as other locales I have come to know during my time there.

Do it!

Barcelona is killer! The food, the sights, the people MY GOD IT WAS COOL. I would go work at my internship and head to La Barceloneta after I was done practically every day. So trust me, your summer will be awesome. I suggest walking around a lot to soak in the sights. And remember, though it's great to take pics and stuff, don't live through the lens of your camera or phone; live it! My advice is to be independent because it didn't feel like there was a lot of opportunities for the interns to get together.And it will help you grow if you venture into the culture and step outside your comfort zone. Lastly, brush up on your Spanish. I am a native speaker so it was nice, but if you don't know any Spanish you may have a tougher time from what I saw. They say everyone in Barcelona speaks English,but it is more like everyone 1 out of 3 do. Just try and the locals will love it! Oh, and prepared to spend money (duh.) Nonetheless, I loved it.

Intern In Barcelona

My internship experience in Barcelona lasted for six weeks, and the only downside was that I didn't want it to end. I was placed in an ideal Spanish company that suited me incredibly well. Living in Spain was great enough, yet working there added a very special aspect that I will always cherish. Barcelona as a city offers a lively and positive atmosphere with something for everyone. I would highly recommend this destination to intern for anyone interested in a rich Spanish/Catalan culture, an exciting nightlife, amazing architecture and coastal living.

One of the Best Experiences I've Ever Had

Read the title - it says it all. Kidding. In all honesty living in Barcelona was a great way for me to learn about a new culture, meet a ton of interesting people, explore Europe, and learn more about myself.

Barcelona Review

Barcelona was a magnificent and beautiful place full of rich culture. When I first arrived in Barcelona, I was as prepared as I could have been, but there is really no way to fully prepare for the culture shock. I also went at this alone, and that is probably my one regret. However, after meeting all the other people in my CIS group I made a ton of friends.

Student Teaching Abroad

Student teaching abroad has been an experience of a lifetime. CISabroad has placed me into a wonderful internship where I have learned an enormous amount about my future career. I am confident that this experience will be something I can refer back to as I begin my teaching career.

My experience started as a walk through a city and ended as an adventure through personhood.

Throughout my time in Barcelona I constantly tried to understand the people and the activities around me. However, through the experience I learned more about myself than anything else. After loosing myself in the streets of the l'Example one afternoon I realized that I had gained a sense of confidence that I had never seen before. A few weeks prior I would have never taken a random adventure through my own neighborhood, yet I found myself roaming the streets of a different country. Without my time in Barcelona I would have never understood who I am as a person.

The apartment was much larger than expected and well stocked, but the location would have been nicer if it was closer to cultural activities. Also, I lived with eight other students from my university so it made it a lot harder to immerse myself.

Like I said above, the living situation made it really hard to immerse myself, but the CIS activities were absolutely wonderful.

There were some communication problems before leaving, but I was absolutely amazed at how helpful the on-sight staff was.

I never felt unsafe. This shocked me.

Social Life:
It was hard to find a social life living with only students. We tried to go out, but we found ourselves at the large and over-advertized locations.