Study abroad students Study abroad students

CEA Study Abroad in Granada, Spain

"No Pasa Nada"

If you spend a semester in Spain, Granada in particular, you’re bound to hear “No pasa nada” very often. Similar to “hakuna matata,” it means “no worries.” The environment and atmosphere in Granada is so different from anything I’ve ever experienced, and it allowed me to enjoy every moment I could while I was in Spain. Between traveling around Spain and to other countries in Europe, Granada became a second home.

Initially, I wanted to study abroad with CEA because they offer internships. I interned with a social services agency called the Albihar Foundation, which focuses on the well-being of women, children, and the elderly. Each week I spent 4-5 hours with an elderly woman and got to know her very well. She’d talk to me about her childhood, her family, traveling, and Spanish politics, something I never would’ve known much about had I not spent time with Encarnacion. Over the course of the semester, I kept a journal and wrote a paper about the foundation and the time I spent with Encarnacion. My internship was one of my favorite things about my semester abroad, and was a unique experience I wouldn't have had otherwise.

In addition to my internship, CEA had volunteer opportunities at local schools, day cares, and elderly care centers in Granada. I spent a couple of hours every week assisting a preschool teacher with art lessons for the students, and teaching them English vocabulary. I had an amazing time speaking English and Spanish with the children, and learning from them.

Classes were held at The Center for the Modern Languages (El Centro de Las Lenguas Modernas), and allowed students from different programs to connect. The professors are attentive, helpful, and more than willing to explain any questions. The classes were engaging and helped my Spanish improve exponentially. The CEA on-site program specialists also helped me understand the language; for the second half of the semester, one of the on-site specialists tutored me once a week, and my understanding of Spanish grammar greatly improved.

What made me especially glad that I chose CEA were the program specialists. They were easy to relate to, and provided any information we needed. CEA planned fun excursions that we could take as a group, and those trips allowed me to see many other parts of Spain: Ronda, Seville, Malaga, Cordoba, and a weekend in Morocco.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the time I spent in Granada, and I think about it every day. I miss the food, my Spanish friends, and the amazing places I visited during my four months abroad.

A Semester In Granada

I spent a semester in Granada Spring 2015 through CEA, and I could not have been happier with my choice. Right from the start, the program directors (Dani, Jorge and Begonia) were friendly, open, and there for you with anything and everything that you may need. The entire program worked with you to successfully immerse you in Spanish culture, through activities and volunteer work in a local school.

Academically speaking, the professors at the CLM take into account that you are not a native Spanish speaker, and will help you and support you in anyway possible. Classes were long, but never boring as there was something new to learn about Spanish culture everyday. I know a lot of people are worried about not knowing a lot of Spanish going in, but don't worry, because classes offered are in English/Spanish depending on what level you are placed into.

I chose to live in an apartment during my stay, and it was situated in a close location to the school building in a nice area, close to the city center and grocery stores/shopping/activities. The only problem was that the WiFi wasn't always there, and the fuse box would blow multiple times while doing laundry. Otherwise, it was a clean and well put together apartment.

I do not have one bad word to say about this program, the support from CEA in the states and in Spain was amazing, anything you needed they would be there for you. They also understood that you were here not only to study, but to see a little of the world as well, and would do their best to give you the best tips on places to go, where to stay and what to see there as well.

My time there was not wasted and I highly recommend CEA to study in Spain or any of the other programs they offer.

Incredible

The most mind-blowing, incredible 4 weeks of my entire life.

I love living in Granada

I love living in a homestay. I wish the class was more intensive, so I could have better conversation with my host mom but love the activities.

Study Abroad!

Granada is perfect place to study abroad and experience the Spanish culture.

Granada

An awesome alternative to bigger cities for study abroad

Perfect place: Granada

Granada may be the perfect place to study abroad of you want to learn Spanish; laid back atmosphere, small, and lots of college students, cheap living, and great sites!!!

Unforgettable experience

Have the opportunity to study language and culture in a new place. Highly recommended

Granada with CEA

I love the excursions and homestay experience a lot, I feel like there are many opportunities for learning and adventures here in Granada with CEA.

Granada is a perfect place to study

This has been a wonderful intro to Spanish culture and Europe in general.

Phenomenal Program!

Our administration has gone above and beyond to make our experience perfect here! Granada is the perfect place to study. The professors are amazing, the food is delicious, everyone here is so friendly. CEA had given us so many resources to further our immersion. I wouldn't have picked any other program!

Granada CEA

Granada is the best location to study abroad that I have found. Great immersion, expensive. The majority of people here are students. Also some places in Spain...free tapas with any purchase of a drink.. At all restaurants!

Awesome Granada

The trip is awesome; the classes are perfectly challenging and I have so much independence here.

Granada the city of wonders

Going abroad was the best decision I have made in my life so far, especially going abroad to Granada with CEA. Granada is absolutely breath taking. The city is small and easy to travel without having to take a cab or bus. Walking around the city was one of my favorite parts. There is something to discover every day, either meeting new people or finding a new place to admire. During my semester, I stayed with a host family and it was another great decision I made.

Granada is a unique city with stunning architectures, mix of cultures and friendly people. Granada was the perfect fit for me. I wanted a small city, yet big enough to explore new things every day.The best part about Granada is that is generally affordable.The CEA staff I consider to be one of the best. They were so friendly and helpful. Studying abroad in Granada was the best investment in my life and career. It was such an amazing experience that I would never forget.

This trip is awesome

This trip is awesome; the classes are perfectly challenging and I have so much independence here.

Best time of your life

Best time ever. The support team in Granada is amazing, the classes are given by excellent teachers who understand that we are students who was to experience study abroad life beyond the classroom. There were no awful host families- some were better than others but nothing in life is perfect.

Loved my teachers. Carmen is the best Lit teacher-she connected all assignments to our stay here and it was fantastic.

My host family wasn't the best but it worked. Others had amazing relationships with their host families who they still talk to today. Loli in the office assists with housing and will try to accommodate you as best as possible.

Their office was in the middle of the city and always open for any sort of assistance. Loli and Jorge were amazing- they understood what our purpose for going abroad was and always had advice as to travel, school, or places to eat.

Amazing Granada

Amazing. Perfect City.

Great Experience

Granada's a fantastic city and CEA gives you the chance to visit all of Andalusia and immerse yourself in the culture. Great experience.

CEA Granada

Granada is fun smaller than I thought

Granada

The program offers many opportunities but I'm not impressed with the academics.