USAC ITALY: Viterbo-History, Art, Photography, & Journalism
University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC ITALY: Viterbo-History, Art, Photography, & Journalism

I'm still dreaming of L'antica Latteria

I'm quite convinced there is no better location for an authentic Italian experience abroad than within the medieval walls of Viterbo. This program is a dream--culturally immersive, excellent for language acquisition, comfortable living arrangements, broad academic opportunities, excellent on-site staff, gelato to drool over and once-in-a-lifetime friendships that will stick with you forever. I am so grateful for my year in Viterbo and I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. If you're looking for an authentic Italian experience, USAC Viterbo is the location for you. With just a short train ride to the airport in Rome it is an ideal location to not only experience the best of Italy, but also to access the rest of Europe as well. Every day in this city is a dream.

You can't go wrong with this city.

How do you write a review about the city and the experience that changed your entire life? There is too much to say! I guess I can start with after living in Viterbo for 9 months through the USAC year-long program (Fall 2015 - Spring 2016), I've returned two separate times (a couple weeks in the summer and then three more months the following year) and still lived an entirely different, yet beautiful experience. I've seen and felt different things every time. The city just seems to always surprise you with history you never knew, people you never thought you'd meet, and a life you'd never thought you'd have. I hate to repeat someone else's words that I read in another review, but I couldn't agree more that Viterbo "is Italian culture at its finest"!

1. If you want a pure, authentic, historical, antique and unique experience, Viterbo is for you.

2. If you tend to enjoy wandering random cobblestone roads, but don't want to feel too lost like you would in a big metropolitan city, Viterbo is for you.

4. Food? You've got it. Viterbo seemed to always have the freshest, local, and most delicious produce.

3. Ti piace parlare la lingua? Vorresti imparare la lingua Italiana abbastanza veloce? Viterbo is for you.

5. Interested in the locals? Viterbese and the Italian students are extremely friendly and willing to speak to you. It may seem intimidating at first speaking with an Italian, but believe me when I say they have good intentions to be your friend and have fun.

... and the list goes on and on!

I couldn't have asked more from my experience with USAC. Of course we have to be honest and say some things could have been more thought out or I couldn't give a rating a 10/10 to this one particular area because of this one thing that happened. Yet, anything that deterred me from having a 10/10 experience and gave me a 9/10 experience doesn't matter. Like my one crazy Italian neighbor that lived under my apartment who never let me forget that our tiptoeing around the house was obnoxious to her, she does not outweigh the wonderful boarding experience I acquired. I had plenty of other Italian neighbors that made my stay worth while.

The thing about living in a small Italian city however is that you must learn to adapt. You're not in Rome where there is access to a 24 hour Faramcia (pharmacy) either on the other side of town or down a few blocks. You must be prepared and accept the way of life there.

A few more words to praise USAC: I owe them everything. I think many people would agree that the staff in Viterbo went above and beyond to help us with things that were just completely unfamiliar and out of reach. Like going to the doctor; what to say, where to go, what to get or reporting something to the police, or the best way to travel to Siena for a day trip. Although some would say they could have done more with some people's living situations because they either had nightmare-roommates or nightmare-neighbors, again, there is only so much they can do for you. It's up to us to adapt, accept, and acknowledge that we're living in a completely different world and lifestyle.

USAC in Viterbo = LOVE!

There is no better place to immerse yourself in Italian culture, art and history than the sweet, medieval city of Viterbo. The USAC program there is top-notch. The academics are just right, there are many rich excursions, the restaurants are fantastic, the shopping is fun, the gelato is WORLD CLASS. Go!

The Best of Italy

I chose USAC because they were the easiest and cheapest option for me. I chose the USAC Viterbo Italy program because I always wanted to live in Italy, but I wanted to live in a city where I could experience more than a regular tourist would. This was something that I found living in the small town of Viterbo. Viterbo also had so many positive experiences to offer. Some of my favorite experiences were the various festivals that take place in Viterbo. For example, for a week in late June, Viterbo has a festival called Ludiko. Ludiko is a medieval festival, which takes place in the medieval section of town. There are costumes, games, booths, and performances, that are all medieval themed.
I also really loved the USAC staff abroad, who were always so willing to help you on anything from travel plans to immersion opportunities. They even were able to set me up with a language partner, who I was able to practice my Italian with. Study abroad is extremely beneficial in helping you grow and learn more about yourself. Study abroad forces you to learn valuable skills, like communication, patience, and flexibility. It also makes you take a good look at yourself; something that helped me decide what I wanted to do with the rest of my college career and beyond.

The best place to study abroad in Italy PERIOD!

This world holds many beauties and Viterbo is definately one of them. It's perfectly located close enough and far enough to get everything that you need. It has a great college scene, you can head to Rome and fly anywhere around Europe, and you are centrally located making it easier to travel up north or down south if you'd like, or even take a ferry to Sardegna. You get a real Italian experience not a typical english speaking, all american, tourist trap you'd find in Florence and Rome that's for sure.

BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!

Courses were great and professors where knowledgeable. Although other students complained about thick accents. They knew their stuff.

My apartment along with other student housing was so cute. They are not American so don't expect big kitchens or a dryer, but balconies or terraces over looking this beautiful midieval city.

You become part of a lively community. That is if you want. Going into little shops and getting groceries is an expereince, and because most people know eachother there the store, cafe, and pizzeria owners like to know who you are. I definately had some interesting dialogue with many of the owners. Especially Pizza DJ I love him and Riccardo at Cafe San Sisto (best cafe in town btw).

They became your family. Stefano and Frankie where like my mom and dad. They really had it put together to make sure our study abroad experience was the best it could possibly be.

Yes Italian men are creepy (not dangerous), but I never feared for my safety.

Viterbo

Viterbo is all about Italian culture. Each night around 5, people walk the streets with gelato in hand. The nightlife is huge there, as well- Viterbo has a very young population with lots to do. The coffee is amazing, and so is the atmosphere- the shops are run by the owners. In any given street, you could pick up meat, cheese, pastries, gelato, pizza or sit down at a restaurant, and it would all be the best food you've ever had. Viterbo is Italian culture at its finest.

The best Italian experience you could hope for.

You would be hard pressed to find a better place in Italy to study abroad. Viterbo is so beautiful and so welcoming, plus it is an easy train ride away from Rome. Traveling from Viterbo was simple and relatively low stress. The office staff for USAC was super friendly and always willing to help. All the Italian college students are really excited to have us there, and we all hung out together at Lucio's (one of the awesome bars in Viterbo). The classes are taught in English, but you really get a chance to practice your Italian in this town; most people in town don't speak English, though almost everyone on campus does. The field trips were so much fun, and definitely worth the time and a few early mornings.

Going to Viterbo was one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I made friends in this program that will last a life time. I already can't wait to go back. It was a life changing experience that I think everyone should take advantage of!

The classes felt a little easier than the classes at my home university.

I was the only student to live with a host mom-- and she was great, but I lived alone with her, pretty far from the other students, so I felt a little isolated. I would have prefered to have a roommate.

Viterbo is wonderful. Most of the shopkeepers and restaurant proprietors don't speak English, though most of the young people do. The city is beautiful, and the location is perfect Italy. I really got a chance to practice my Italian, and everyone was really nice about it.

I never ever felt unsafe walking in Viterbo, even walking home from the bars at 2:30 in the morning. It was really nice.