Adult Spanish Immersion Program
Tico Lingo - Spanish Immersion School Header Image Tico Lingo - Spanish Immersion School Header Image

Adult Spanish Immersion Program

A Costa Rican adventure

My experience with the Tico Lingo program was incredible! I took Spanish in high school, but that was awhile back and I didn’t keep up with it. I only had three weeks to spend in Costa Rica so I knew I would be by no means fluent, but I wanted to get a good start, and I was able to with Tico Lingo!
The teacher, Freddy, was the absolute best Spanish teacher I have ever had in my studies. Class was every morning from 8am-12pm (with free coffee!). The class size was small ensuring lots of practice with Freddy and the other students. We practiced writing, speaking, and reading (learning grammar and vocabulary throughout). I can’t speak enough to how clear and easy Freddy made learning Spanish, which in itself can be very difficult! My confidence in speaking Spanish increased greatly and my comprehension in listening and reading increased even more. The school was a short and pleasant 10 minute walk from my homestay. I visited in May (which is in the rainy season) so the mornings were usually sunny and nice weather while later in the afternoon it would typically rain for a bit.
I love my homestay family! I was traveling alone for the first time to a country where I barely spoke the language and my host family made me feel completely welcomed and safe. They brought me to their family functions, taught me how to make some typical Costa Rican dishes, took me to a Heredia soccer game (El Team!), and took me on outings with their family. I felt like one of their kids. I really enjoyed getting to know them and their extended family (which we saw often) and playing with their kids. The large language barrier at the beginning lessened and lessened throughout my time there. I now text my host mom most days even since I have left to keep in touch. She refers to me as her princesa mayor! I miss them a lot and hope to see them again sometime!
I was able to go on two excursions with Tico Lingo, the Manuel Antonio trip and the Canopy Tour. Both were amazing and I am so glad I did. At Manuel Antonio, we saw exotic animals (tons of monkeys and a sloth!), walked a trail to a waterfall, and swam in the ocean at the beach. With the canopy tour, we went through the cloud forest and could see another beautiful waterfall; it was so fun! After the canopy tour, we ate lunch at the coolest restaurant on the balcony overlooking the forest with brightly colored exotic birds and hummingbirds.
Chris, the owner, happened to be on vacation pretty much my whole trip to Costa Rica, but pre-trip and post-trip he was very accommodating and helpful! He was super responsive to all my questions (I had a lot) before I got to Costa Rica and checked in with me after my trip to see how my Spanish practicing is going. Karen, who works at Tico Lingo, basically does it all! She teaches yoga, cooking classes, leads Heredia tours, answers all questions. She is such a kind person it was always nice to see her friendly face in the mornings before class.
It seems like there are a million Spanish immersion programs out there, but one of the reasons I chose Tico Lingo (after a lot of research and comparing) was because it had great reviews. I felt completely safe the entire time, practiced a lot of Spanish, and learned a lot about Costa Rican culture. I think my only regret is that I couldn’t stay longer! I hope that this review contributes to future immersion students choosing Tico Lingo. You will not be disappointed!

Tico Lingo Rocks!!

My 18-year-old daughter and I attended 1wk at Tico Lingo during her spring break 2017. We wished we had more time as the time passed quickly! Before choosing TL, I researched MANY schools in Guatemala and Costa Rica (Heredia, Jaco, and Liberia). The reasons why I chose TL are: Chris, the director, was easy and pleasant to communicate with; the school was fairly new and I like to support up-and-coming businesses. The staff takes care of everything---finding a wonderful homestay family should you choose that route, arranging tours, and most of all making sure that you learn Spanish. Our teacher, Freddy, is THE BEST!!! He makes 4 hours of intense instruction FLY BY!! Every day we couldn't believe it was noon already & class was over for the day! Freddy makes sure that you understand what he's teaching. He truly cares about his students, is very patient and knowledgeable, and has a wonderful sense of humor. I shall return next year but for 3 weeks and also with my husband this time.

The Tico Lingo experience

I have attended three other language schools in Spain, Guatemala and Cuba. Tico Lingo was by far the best. The level of instruction at Tico Lingo was uniquely tailored to my needs. I was able to participate in both private and group classes as well as enjoy yoga, craft and Spanish cooking classes. The facility is located in a quiet neighbourhood, but still within walking distance of the centre of town. The rooms are bright ; the atmosphere cheerful. The calibre of language instruction was excellent, and even after just 3 weeks of classes I know that I made some substantial gains in both my fluency and knowledge of the language. There were also opportunities to talk to native speakers beyond class hours. I found the instructors , the administration of the school and my homestay family to be helpful, kind and generous -- both of their time and knowledge. This is a school that I would return to, in order to further my skills and renew friendships.

• Facilities

Great Spanish immersion program!!

I had an amazing experience with Tico Lingo. I was completed immersed in the Costa Rican culture and spanish language while living with an incredibly friendly host family. The school is in an excellent location; being a solo young female I never once felt that I was in any danger. Heredia always felt safe to me. Everybody at the school is extremely kind and helpful. I went into the program knowing practically no spanish and I left (after 3 weeks) feeling that I could comfortably travel throughout a spanish speaking country without any issues. The school, host family, city, and teachers exceeded all my thoughts and expectations in the best way possible!

Cool little Spanish school in Costa Rica

Tico Lingo is cool. A friend of mine recommended I check out this school while I was traveling through Costa Rica. I signed up for a week to see how much Spanish I could actually learn over 20 hours of class and quickly fell in love with how the classes were run. Likewise, I was with a homestay family and couldn't have enjoyed those first few days with them more.

I was hooked.

I signed up for three more weeks and walked away with a much higher level of Spanish that I was initially expecting to walk away with. The program director of the school, Chris, makes his own wine from the local fruit in Costa Rica and he often invited locals to the school to practice English and help Tico Lingo students practice Spanish. It was great. Really. We drank wine and spoke in our respective new languages and developed new friendships and relationships with each other.

Overall awesome experience at a Spanish school. I didn't think I would spend the majority of my time in Costa Rica learning Spanish, but it really beat out sitting at the beach paying for expensive meals and hostels.

Do it. Learn Spanish. Highly recommended.

Cool experience learning Spanish in Costa Rica

Tico Lingo was referred to me by and old friend who did a program with them in early 2016. Everything she said about the teachers being super nice, the program director being an incredibly great guy, and the school being super relaxed was true! I enjoyed studying with my classmates and just hanging around the school drinking coffee and learning about other students' cultures and hometowns.

Likewise, I absolutely loved my homestay experience and walked away with such a true connection to the community of Heredia and the country of Costa Rica on a whole. I learned a ton of Spanish and really can't recommend a better school to learn Spanish in Costa Rica.

Pura Vida!!! Gracias chicos!

• Facilities

Tico Lingo: an experience of a lifetime

Costa Rica was the first place I traveled to outside of the U.S. I was nervous, but after spending a few weeks at Tico Lingo, I am an independent traveler throughout the country. The cultural immersion provided the confidence and conversational skills to explore the country and meet new people. Great program! Welcoming environment, fun classes, and an experience of a lifetime. Highly recommend it. Gracias Tico Lingo! Pura Vida.

I love Tico Lingo!

I can't thank you enough Tico Lingo, such an amazing program I learnt so much in just 3 weeks and loved the action packed program. The school is relaxed and made me feel at ease, the teacher Freddy was fantastic and what really made my experience was the home stay with a Costa Rican family and discovering Costa Rica. Would highly recommend Tico Lingo :)

• Facilities

Authentic experience learning Spanish and living in Costa Rica!

My experience at Tico Lingo exceeded my expectations! I came here looking to bump up my conversational language skills and get away from just the tourist experience of traveling in Costa Rica. My Spanish classes were personalized to my needs and the amount of time I practiced speaking has given me so much more confidence in my speaking abilities. The homestay accommodation was also a great opportunity to practice speaking with ticos everyday and gave me the chance to create real friendships here with the family. I am already thinking about when I can come back to visit them :) The school itself is a 5 minute walk to the city center but is set back just enough that it feels like a little retreat. I made a lot of use out of the hammocks and yoga space, and always enjoyed fresh brewed coffee before, during and after my classes! The classes and homestay truly felt like an authentic experience into Costa Rican life and for me the immersive experience is the only way to go if you really want to learn Spanish and see what Costa Rica is all about!

Fantastic Teachers, Beautiful school/area/location

I can't express how amazing this school was. I studied for 3 weeks last January at the school and saw my fluency go through the roof. It was pretty remarkable. I learned so, so, so much more than what I'd learned using language Apps and Spanish books.

The program I signed up for had me living with a family near the school. It was an 8 minute walk (yes, I timed it) and my family was absolutely adorable. They took me in as one of their own, fed me two meals a day, and put up with my terrible Spanish -- they had the patience of Angels. I practiced every night with them and really learned so much just sitting at the Dinner table talking about our days.

The actual school was probably the most beautiful place I've ever been. It was stocked full of Spanish resources, traveler resources, and various books in so many languages from all over the world. The garden had something like 10 different fruits and vegetables, some SUPER relaxing hammocks (that I tended to use on a daily basis) and had some of the nicest classrooms I've ever spent time in. I learned some Latin Dance at the school and did a few sessions of Yoga with my classmates from all over the world (Germany, Canada, Netherlands, USA)

I got home and told a bunch of friends to come check this school out! I highly recommend it!!