Adult Spanish Immersion Program
Tico Lingo - Spanish Immersion School Header Image Tico Lingo - Spanish Immersion School Header Image

Adult Spanish Immersion Program

Thanks Yall

Although there for a short time, I was able to improve my language skills . I gained not only knowledge but also confidence. The immersion experience was super helpful, and I could not have asked for a more warm or accommodating host family. Cooking and chatting at the school, as well as meeting other students, was a pleasure. The country and the school left a really positive impression. Big up to Tico Lingo, many thanks

Perfect

My Spanish immersion experience could not have been planned better. The itinerary structure really worked for me, and I felt I had time to explore or relax if I wanted to. The school itself feels like a big spacious home, with the facilitators, teachers, and owner all very smart, and genuinely helpful to the students. I had an amazing one on one tutor named Cinthia Gomez-Gamboa, she was kind and very patient with my beginner Spanish skills. She listened to my needs, as far as needing to use Spanish at my work in a hospital and tailored the lessons accordingly. The afternoon activities planned were fun, with no pressure on attending if you didn't feel like it. The weekend activity was a trip to Manuel Antonio national State Park and Beach, and it was breathtakingly beautiful and so much fun with my fellow Spanish students. Finally, my homestay, My tica family -Cecilia and Antonio, they were so sweet and treated me as if I really was family. I am a vegetarian and allergic to kiwi, and she customized every provided meal to my needs. I can't say enough about my Spanish immersion experience through Tico Lingo. I highly recommend.

• Facilities

Amazing people and unique cultural experience

Tico Lingo was challenging for me in the way that I was looking for. I wanted to improve my Spanish. For me, I have to learn through listening AND seeing the words written out. Tico Lingo was the perfect amount of conversational practice and grammar. This program facilitates a lot of learning in a short period of time. If you have more than a week to take classes, then definitely do so! If you don’t speak any Spanish and you want to leave with a high level of conversation where you can have heart to hearts with people at the bar and connect on more than just a “como esta” level, I think you could achieve this in 6-10 weeks depending on your dedication.

I definitely recommend a homestay! It is the best way to continue the conversation practice while getting to know someone different than you. Be patient with yourself but definitely going out to the market and putting yourself out there to speak will make your experience that much better. Heredia is a chill, safe and friendly city. My homestay made me coffee and breakfast every morning! I felt a part of the family. We cooked together often and we were able to share recipes. I learned how to make batacones (fried plaintains) and tortilla de yuca ! There are so many exotic fruits here, and in Costa Rica it’s really common to make a fruit refresco (drink) with every meal. It’s just one of the luxuries of being in the tropics and in a beautiful place like Costa Rica, the fruits are abundant! I stayed with an amazing family that was very welcoming and gracious towards me. I feel bonded for life with them and I am certain I will return to see them again. Costa Rican’s are such happy and proud people. There is no army here and it is something people feel very proud about. Peace is really valued.

Tico Lingo provides SO much for the students. Each morning the director, Chris and Karen greet you at the door and create a relaxed and casual atmosphere. It definitely doesn’t feel like a strict classroom environment, it feels like you are going over to your friends house. They provide coffee, tea and sometimes snacks. Yoga was my favorite activity at Tico Lingo. It’s a further testimont to how the staff at Tico Lingo really wants the students to have a good experience. It’s a very comfortable and non-threatening place that gravitates good people. It was fun to meet other students from all over the world.

My second favorite activity was the “intercambio.” One night during the week a group of students wanting to learn English come to Tico Lingo and have a language exchange with the students at Tico Lingo. It is a great way to use your skills in a more casual setting while also helping someone else. I really liked the group that comes to the intercambio. We had a ton of fun and played charades. It was interesting to meet young adults and learn about their lives. Chris and Karen and the other teachers know Costa Rica very well and they are extremely helpful with assisting with travel plans. Heredia is close enough to a lot to take many weekend excursions! The city itself is easy to get around and you can easily take the bus to anywhere you want to.

Overall, I think Tico Lingo is an ideal option if you’re coming to Costa Rica to learn Spanish. Even while taking classes, it still feels like you are on vacation and exploring new things every day!
Not only is Tico Lingo a great school but I also appreciate their values and overall mission. It felt good to be a part of a well intentioned project that strives to make connections in the community and provides an authentic cultural exchange. Good vibes all around!!! I highly recommend this amazing little spot. It’s authentic and genuine! You will feel appreciated and taken care of!!!

Solo traveler

I took part in a week long Emerson experience in September of 2017. Tico Lingo worked with me to understand my needs and taylor a program that worked well for what I was looking for. I was a total beginner and was paired with an incredibly patient teacher. As an experienced traveler I took care of my living arrangements and found an air B and B close by. If I were to stay longer I would arrange to go a home stay.

Outstanding experience

Wow, I don't know where to begin. First the program is absolutely fantastic. It is very well organized and makes you feel very at home. The Tico Lingo school gives you that "feeling at home, in school" it was super comfortable. This was my first time traveling for an extended period of time... I attended the program for 4 weeks. The chill, laid back feeling of Costa Rica was amazing. The food, culture and people were amazing.
My homestay family was phenomenal, they made me feel at home every single day I was there. They practically took me everywhere with them, which was great for me to practice my Spanish. Chris had put together a wonderful program with awesome teachers (shout out to Freddie!). My confidence in Spanish increased, and the level the school brought me to exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend this program to anyone seeking to learn Spanish. You are going to love the experience and it's something you will take with you the rest of your life.

Life-Changing Experience

Almost exactly 1 year ago, I enrolled at Tico Lingo. I originally signed up because my job at the time required that I be proficient in Spanish, but 1 year later, I can reflect and genuinely say that I left Tico Lingo with life-long friends and an invaluable skill that gave me the confidence to travel through South and Central America for months after my program end-date.
First (and most importantly), the people who run the program are some of the most engaging, relatable, kind, and intelligent people I've yet to meet. They have a very hands on approach and they really extend themselves to make sure that no one feels left behind or lost. When you're learning a new language in a foreign country its easy to get overwhelmed and feel a bit scared or behind; but the team at Tico Lingo really makes sure to expose you to the culture and get you feeling confident while out of your comfort zone so you WANT to learn the language as opposed to feeling like you HAVE to learn the language.

The class sizes are intimate. You really get one on one attention from your professors, which is so important when learning so much in such a short amount of time. It's a judgment free zone, with teachers who customize their curriculum to fit your needs and help you progress in the fastest way possible. They ALSO include yoga, cooking, and dancing classes in case your day of learning isn't full enough!! (NOTE: these are optional in case you really are too exhausted)
Point being: I came into Tico Lingo knowing almost no Spanish, but by the end of my four weeks with Chris and Freddy I was able to speak Spanish well enough to continue traveling through Spanish Speaking countries for three months.
(ALSO SHOULD BE NOTED: their curriculum is entirely comprehensible for ALL ages. When I was there I saw students ages 18-68 come through, learn, and enjoy their time there.)

Not only are the teachers exceptional, but the Host Families as well make this program stand out as one of the best. My host family felt like my real family. Both parents and their three children were so patient and eager to speak with me about my day, politics, hobbies, life and everything else I was able to properly pronounce. They even hung out with me on my days off and made me feel like I was actually part of the family.

Program manager, Chris, and my host family worked together to make sure I was never bored, which is a daunting task. They organized hikes, day trips, and market visits to make sure I was fully experiencing all that Costa Rica had to offer and I MISS IT AND THEM EVERY DAY!!!
Anyone who has even BRIEFLY considered enrolling in this Spanish Emersion program should 100% sign up NOW. It exceeded all of my wildest expectations and truly truly gave me knowledge and experiences that I will cherish forever, and never be able to forget.

Tico immersion

I went to Costa Rica for two reasons -- vacation and to improve my Spanish skills. I went for two weeks and signed up for the full Tico Lingo experience (after class activities and weekend activities). It was a slow time of year so it turned out I was the only one who signed up for those. At first it was fine but as I got to know the area more, I found that I wanted to spend more time exploring so I didn't do the after class activities the second week. I did keep the weekend activities, though. And as I was planning to go on them, the other students (who hadn't originally signed up) ending up joining me and we had so much fun. The weekend activities are a must, in my opinion. They really made the CR experience more rewarding. Tico Lingo was very accommodating in setting those up to what I was interested in.

The classes -- I had signed up because I truly wanted to improve my Spanish and the first week was in a class with another student far below my level. Because of that, it slowed down our classes and I knew I wasn't meeting my potential. But my teacher (Cynthia) was awesome and we were all getting along so I didn't say anything. But after one week the other student left and then I expressed my concerns. I was then placed in a one-on-one class where I learned more in one week than I could have in months at any other program. I switched teachers (Freddy) and he taught in a way that made my comprehension excel much farther.

Overall, my experience was amazing. Chris, Karen and the teachers are very personable and easy to talk to. The school is somewhat new (only a few years old) although Chris, the owner, is passionate about what he’s doing, about Costa Rica and the Spanish language. The program is great and because it’s still a small school, I feel it’s a more personable experience than a larger immersion program. (Previously, I went to a larger immersion program in Argentina and this was my second.)

Costa Rica is so gorgeous, the people are so hospitable, and I plan to go back again one day.

Wonderful language school near San Jose

I spent two weeks at Tico Lingo and learned so much more in those two weeks than I had in 4 months working through language apps on my own. I gained a lot of confidence in speaking which I had been missing studying on my own. My teacher, Freddy, was fantastic and made learning/speaking fun. We only had a class of 3 students, which helped us each get a lot of practice. The best part of my two weeks was the homestay that Tico Lingo set up for me and my husband (who was also a student). Our Tico family was so sweet and made us feel at home. It was fun to get to know them and learn about their city and culture. Elena (our Tica mom) took us to La Feria (a huge farmers market) and a fireworks show on the weekends, which only added to our experience. I still crave Elena's cooking and miss chatting with her after class. I would highly recommend Tico Lingo to anyone trying to increase their confidence in speaking Spanish, no matter the level you are at now!!

A Costa Rican adventure

My experience with the Tico Lingo program was incredible! I took Spanish in high school, but that was awhile back and I didn’t keep up with it. I only had three weeks to spend in Costa Rica so I knew I would be by no means fluent, but I wanted to get a good start, and I was able to with Tico Lingo!
The teacher, Freddy, was the absolute best Spanish teacher I have ever had in my studies. Class was every morning from 8am-12pm (with free coffee!). The class size was small ensuring lots of practice with Freddy and the other students. We practiced writing, speaking, and reading (learning grammar and vocabulary throughout). I can’t speak enough to how clear and easy Freddy made learning Spanish, which in itself can be very difficult! My confidence in speaking Spanish increased greatly and my comprehension in listening and reading increased even more. The school was a short and pleasant 10 minute walk from my homestay. I visited in May (which is in the rainy season) so the mornings were usually sunny and nice weather while later in the afternoon it would typically rain for a bit.
I love my homestay family! I was traveling alone for the first time to a country where I barely spoke the language and my host family made me feel completely welcomed and safe. They brought me to their family functions, taught me how to make some typical Costa Rican dishes, took me to a Heredia soccer game (El Team!), and took me on outings with their family. I felt like one of their kids. I really enjoyed getting to know them and their extended family (which we saw often) and playing with their kids. The large language barrier at the beginning lessened and lessened throughout my time there. I now text my host mom most days even since I have left to keep in touch. She refers to me as her princesa mayor! I miss them a lot and hope to see them again sometime!
I was able to go on two excursions with Tico Lingo, the Manuel Antonio trip and the Canopy Tour. Both were amazing and I am so glad I did. At Manuel Antonio, we saw exotic animals (tons of monkeys and a sloth!), walked a trail to a waterfall, and swam in the ocean at the beach. With the canopy tour, we went through the cloud forest and could see another beautiful waterfall; it was so fun! After the canopy tour, we ate lunch at the coolest restaurant on the balcony overlooking the forest with brightly colored exotic birds and hummingbirds.
Chris, the owner, happened to be on vacation pretty much my whole trip to Costa Rica, but pre-trip and post-trip he was very accommodating and helpful! He was super responsive to all my questions (I had a lot) before I got to Costa Rica and checked in with me after my trip to see how my Spanish practicing is going. Karen, who works at Tico Lingo, basically does it all! She teaches yoga, cooking classes, leads Heredia tours, answers all questions. She is such a kind person it was always nice to see her friendly face in the mornings before class.
It seems like there are a million Spanish immersion programs out there, but one of the reasons I chose Tico Lingo (after a lot of research and comparing) was because it had great reviews. I felt completely safe the entire time, practiced a lot of Spanish, and learned a lot about Costa Rican culture. I think my only regret is that I couldn’t stay longer! I hope that this review contributes to future immersion students choosing Tico Lingo. You will not be disappointed!

Tico Lingo Rocks!!

My 18-year-old daughter and I attended 1wk at Tico Lingo during her spring break 2017. We wished we had more time as the time passed quickly! Before choosing TL, I researched MANY schools in Guatemala and Costa Rica (Heredia, Jaco, and Liberia). The reasons why I chose TL are: Chris, the director, was easy and pleasant to communicate with; the school was fairly new and I like to support up-and-coming businesses. The staff takes care of everything---finding a wonderful homestay family should you choose that route, arranging tours, and most of all making sure that you learn Spanish. Our teacher, Freddy, is THE BEST!!! He makes 4 hours of intense instruction FLY BY!! Every day we couldn't believe it was noon already & class was over for the day! Freddy makes sure that you understand what he's teaching. He truly cares about his students, is very patient and knowledgeable, and has a wonderful sense of humor. I shall return next year but for 3 weeks and also with my husband this time.

The Tico Lingo experience

I have attended three other language schools in Spain, Guatemala and Cuba. Tico Lingo was by far the best. The level of instruction at Tico Lingo was uniquely tailored to my needs. I was able to participate in both private and group classes as well as enjoy yoga, craft and Spanish cooking classes. The facility is located in a quiet neighbourhood, but still within walking distance of the centre of town. The rooms are bright ; the atmosphere cheerful. The calibre of language instruction was excellent, and even after just 3 weeks of classes I know that I made some substantial gains in both my fluency and knowledge of the language. There were also opportunities to talk to native speakers beyond class hours. I found the instructors , the administration of the school and my homestay family to be helpful, kind and generous -- both of their time and knowledge. This is a school that I would return to, in order to further my skills and renew friendships.

• Facilities

Great Spanish immersion program!!

I had an amazing experience with Tico Lingo. I was completed immersed in the Costa Rican culture and spanish language while living with an incredibly friendly host family. The school is in an excellent location; being a solo young female I never once felt that I was in any danger. Heredia always felt safe to me. Everybody at the school is extremely kind and helpful. I went into the program knowing practically no spanish and I left (after 3 weeks) feeling that I could comfortably travel throughout a spanish speaking country without any issues. The school, host family, city, and teachers exceeded all my thoughts and expectations in the best way possible!

Cool little Spanish school in Costa Rica

Tico Lingo is cool. A friend of mine recommended I check out this school while I was traveling through Costa Rica. I signed up for a week to see how much Spanish I could actually learn over 20 hours of class and quickly fell in love with how the classes were run. Likewise, I was with a homestay family and couldn't have enjoyed those first few days with them more.

I was hooked.

I signed up for three more weeks and walked away with a much higher level of Spanish that I was initially expecting to walk away with. The program director of the school, Chris, makes his own wine from the local fruit in Costa Rica and he often invited locals to the school to practice English and help Tico Lingo students practice Spanish. It was great. Really. We drank wine and spoke in our respective new languages and developed new friendships and relationships with each other.

Overall awesome experience at a Spanish school. I didn't think I would spend the majority of my time in Costa Rica learning Spanish, but it really beat out sitting at the beach paying for expensive meals and hostels.

Do it. Learn Spanish. Highly recommended.

Cool experience learning Spanish in Costa Rica

Tico Lingo was referred to me by and old friend who did a program with them in early 2016. Everything she said about the teachers being super nice, the program director being an incredibly great guy, and the school being super relaxed was true! I enjoyed studying with my classmates and just hanging around the school drinking coffee and learning about other students' cultures and hometowns.

Likewise, I absolutely loved my homestay experience and walked away with such a true connection to the community of Heredia and the country of Costa Rica on a whole. I learned a ton of Spanish and really can't recommend a better school to learn Spanish in Costa Rica.

Pura Vida!!! Gracias chicos!

• Facilities

Tico Lingo: an experience of a lifetime

Costa Rica was the first place I traveled to outside of the U.S. I was nervous, but after spending a few weeks at Tico Lingo, I am an independent traveler throughout the country. The cultural immersion provided the confidence and conversational skills to explore the country and meet new people. Great program! Welcoming environment, fun classes, and an experience of a lifetime. Highly recommend it. Gracias Tico Lingo! Pura Vida.

I love Tico Lingo!

I can't thank you enough Tico Lingo, such an amazing program I learnt so much in just 3 weeks and loved the action packed program. The school is relaxed and made me feel at ease, the teacher Freddy was fantastic and what really made my experience was the home stay with a Costa Rican family and discovering Costa Rica. Would highly recommend Tico Lingo :)

• Facilities

Authentic experience learning Spanish and living in Costa Rica!

My experience at Tico Lingo exceeded my expectations! I came here looking to bump up my conversational language skills and get away from just the tourist experience of traveling in Costa Rica. My Spanish classes were personalized to my needs and the amount of time I practiced speaking has given me so much more confidence in my speaking abilities. The homestay accommodation was also a great opportunity to practice speaking with ticos everyday and gave me the chance to create real friendships here with the family. I am already thinking about when I can come back to visit them :) The school itself is a 5 minute walk to the city center but is set back just enough that it feels like a little retreat. I made a lot of use out of the hammocks and yoga space, and always enjoyed fresh brewed coffee before, during and after my classes! The classes and homestay truly felt like an authentic experience into Costa Rican life and for me the immersive experience is the only way to go if you really want to learn Spanish and see what Costa Rica is all about!

Fantastic Teachers, Beautiful school/area/location

I can't express how amazing this school was. I studied for 3 weeks last January at the school and saw my fluency go through the roof. It was pretty remarkable. I learned so, so, so much more than what I'd learned using language Apps and Spanish books.

The program I signed up for had me living with a family near the school. It was an 8 minute walk (yes, I timed it) and my family was absolutely adorable. They took me in as one of their own, fed me two meals a day, and put up with my terrible Spanish -- they had the patience of Angels. I practiced every night with them and really learned so much just sitting at the Dinner table talking about our days.

The actual school was probably the most beautiful place I've ever been. It was stocked full of Spanish resources, traveler resources, and various books in so many languages from all over the world. The garden had something like 10 different fruits and vegetables, some SUPER relaxing hammocks (that I tended to use on a daily basis) and had some of the nicest classrooms I've ever spent time in. I learned some Latin Dance at the school and did a few sessions of Yoga with my classmates from all over the world (Germany, Canada, Netherlands, USA)

I got home and told a bunch of friends to come check this school out! I highly recommend it!!