Semester at Sea - Fall Voyage: South Africa
Semester at Sea ship Semester at Sea ship

Semester at Sea - Fall Voyage: South Africa

Opportunity of a Lifetime

Semester at Sea forever changed my life. I studied abroad with them in Fall 2012 and was able to learn about and visit 15 different countries on 4 continents! I received a global education on this program. The courses I took taught me a lot and the professors related the class material to where we were going. The mixture of classes and real life experience greatly helped me learn. Also every night on the ship there were fun and interesting seminars being put on by professors and resident directors. And the shipboard community was the best group of people I have met. I still keep in contact with a large number of my fellow shipmates. The community feel is the best part, everyone knows each other and you become like a family.
Also it is literally one of the coolest campuses on earth! The ship is a mid-size cruise ship that has cabins to live in, 9 classrooms, 2 dining centers, gym, basketball court, pool, and much more!
While the price may appear more than other programs, trust me you get your moneys worth. Things to consider when looking at the price is that includes 12-15 credits, all meals on the ship, your living arrangements, class field trips, and use of the ship's facilities. Plus Semester at Sea offers its own scholarships and work study opportunities. Look into this program, it will change your life completely!

Voyage to the Pacific Rim Countries

I chose this program because it is Engineering 1st time on SAS, the prof was from the University of Pittsburgh.

It was memorable when we went to kayak into the "spires" in Halong Bay, Vietnam.

The best semester of my life

I wish that I could explain in a review how much my semester on Semester at Sea meant to me. I continuously tell my parents that it was the best gift that they could have ever given me. I went last fall (fall 2014) so I have been off of the ship for about 4 months and I can honestly say that I miss it and each and every person that I met during my semester, every single day. Before SAS, I had never gone more than three weeks without seeing my parents. I was dependent, pretty immature and sheltered. I walked away from SAS with countless lifelong friends, incredible memories of 16 different countries, confidence that I had never had before, self-awareness, global awareness, a sense of independence, and most importantly a deep appreciation for my parents and the fact that they provided me with the semester of a lifetime. I went from begging my parents to let me come home during the first week of SAS to sobbing in Ft. Lauderdale when I had to leave the ship, my amazing friends, and that incredible experience. If you are thinking about going, go! I promise, it will be the best decision you have ever made. If you are a parent thinking about sending your child, know that it will be the best thing that you could possibly give them.

Semester at Sea - The Best Way to See The World and Inspire Future Travels

Semester at Sea is without question one of the best experiences I will ever have. I sailed as a sophomore in college and it forever changed my passions and future career path. People criticize the program because you don't get a chance to live in one country, but for me it ignited my passion for travel and I ended up securing an internship abroad the following summer. I know that is not feasible for everyone, but the internship did align with my major at the time, so there are options - please don't let the lack of living in one country deter you from choosing SAS! On top of the amazing experience in countries all around the world, I made lifelong friends that I still keep in touch with 5 years later. Living on a ship and seeing all of the amazing (and sometimes heartbreaking) things that SAS introduces you to bonds you to your classmates in a way that other study abroad programs can't.

Since this review is supposed to be about South Africa, I will note that South Africa was one of my favorite countries that I visited while on SAS.

Circumnavigating the globe

My experience participating in Semester at Sea left a profound impact on my global perspectives and perceptions of the world. Traveling to 12 different countries over the time span of four months was an extremely rewarding, powerful and influential experience. Not only did I get the opportunity to travel to so many amazing countries, but I also got to sail on three different oceans in order to get to them. Before I left for Semester at Sea these countries had always seemed so out of reach, but SAS taught me that people can go anywhere if they work hard and have the motivation to make it happen. Traveling now feels much more tangible and I have gained the skills and knowledge I need to participate in responsible tourism. I learned how to travel intelligently, how to have cultural sensitivity and how to immerse myself in each culture for the amount of time that I had in each port.

Studying on the ship while sailing was amazing and gave us the time to travel while in country. Not only does SAS offer classes that contribute to all majors, but they also teach valuable information about the countries in which they port and how to travel in a responsible and life-changing way. I traveled independently, but SAS offers field programs for those who like a guided tour or a planned itinerary. It was amazing to further my understanding of the world by studying foreign places in the classroom and then porting in those foreign places over the next few months. I am so thankful for the experiences I had both in and outside of the classroom with SAS. Not only do you form amazing relationships with the other students, but you also form relationships with the professors, staff and crew. Living on the ship and being able to travel with the people from such a strong community makes for an even more powerful experience as you circumnavigate the globe. Having the opportunity to visit so many places allowed me to gain travel experience so that I can return abroad in the future and I am so thankful to have participated in Semester at Sea.