Volunteer in Medicine in Ghana

Volunteer in Medicine in Ghana

More than I could have ever asked for

Volunteering for medical in Ghana through IVHQ was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am currently planning trip #2 within the next year! Our group consisted of 8 nursing students and 1 professor. During the planning phase of our trip, we were in contact with Eddie, the IVHQ Ghana CEO. He answered the many questions that we had and prepared well in advance for our visit. He provided an itinerary for the work week and fun things to do on the weekends weeks before our arrival.

Upon arrival at the airport, we quickly met Elvis and Evans who were our main point of contact throughout our stay in Ghana. They were prepared with a large bus to fit all 9 volunteers and 18 luggages full of medical supplies and our personal belongings. Throughout our 2 week visit, we stayed in three different housings, all of which were extremely comfortable. Our host families were also so friendly and became family to us. IVHQ Ghana recruited a local nurse, Eric, to volunteer with us throughout our work week. Eric taught us how to test for malaria, how to care for wounds the Ghanian way, and helped to translate when needed. Our first week, we stayed in the Silver Program. There we tested over 500 children and adults for malaria and were able to provide treatment for those testing positive. The second week we traveled to the Gold Program and tested another 500+ children and families throughout 3 different localities, and were able to provide treatment for those testing positive. Also throughout our work week, we provided wound care to those seeking treatment and blood pressure screenings as well. Overall, our group was able to provide malaria testing and treatment to over 1200 people! We were so fortunate to have the help of Evans, who traveled to the city and back multiple times to ensure that we had all the medical supplies we needed. Eric was also a huge help to our success, and we could have never done it without the help of a Ghanian nurse.

The weekends consisted of FUN and DANCING! Evans planned our weekends, and took us to the Coast to see the slave castles and the beach. We had the best time sightseeing and dancing the night away. There we stayed in a hotel where there were bunk beds and great food.

Safety was a huge issue that we were all concerned about before we arrived. However, Eddie, Evans, and Elvis made sure that we felt safe at all times. We were always escorted to and from the work site back home, as well as any of our leisure activities. Not for a second did I ever feel unsafe or scared. I will 100% say that IVHQ Ghana makes safety a top priority, and I would trust them with my life.

IVHQ Ghana provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner throughout the work week. I loved all our meals, as they consisted of staple foods like noodles, rice, and chicken. The host families make all the meals and we were so grateful to them for all they did for us.

The culture in Ghana is really something special. I did not know that I could fall so in love with a country other than my own. IVHQ Ghana had a "Twi" lesson during our orientation, and I spent much of my trip learning as much of the local language as I could. Most people there speak English, so there was not much of a language barrier. We did have the help of Evans and Eric when we needed help translating, so communication was not an issue. The Ghanaian lifestyle and outlook on life really humbled me and I learned so much about myself on this trip. I miss Ghana every day.

IVHQ Ghana really made this trip such a success. Everything we did was planned, including transportation, food, and housing. Both Eddie and Evans went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable, that we had what we needed to assist with our medical testing, and more importantly, that we enjoyed ourselves. Evans was with us almost every day, and I truly thank him for all his help and sacrificed sleep to ensure that our trip exceeded our expectations. Visiting Ghana was life changing, and IVHQ Ghana helped to make it more than I could have ever asked for.

A trip of a lifetime

On June 3rd a group of 7 senior nursing students, 1 newly graduated nursing student, and 1 nursing instructor began a 2 week long trip to Ghana on a medical volunteer mission trip. The trip was a humbling experience and would not have been accomplished without the constant help and support of the IVHQ members in Ghana. The leader of the this section Edward was so help and flexible when changes to our groups itinerary was needed to best benefit our patient's needs. Outside of the leader Evans and Eric were the most heart warming and helpful IVHQ members we dealt with. Without them our trip would not have been so successful. Evans would travel hours out of his way to retrieve the supplies we needed at each clinic location to test and treat individuals at their silver, amber, and gold programs for malaria. Evans also arranged our weekend vacation days away and accompanied us in order for us to get the most of out of our trip. While Evans was the back bones of support for our group, Eric was the front line of support for our group. Eric, who is a nurse in Ghana, went to all of the malaria clinics with us and assisted us with communication, wound care, and blood pressure education.

I can't forget to mention Elvis, Benedict, Benjamin, Nancy, and Tina. They too were extremely helpful in our group's journey. I cannot say enough about this IVHQ team. I am planning on returning to Ghana and would reuse this team anytime because they made each and everyone of us feel like part of family. I look forward to working with them in the future!

Life changing trip

To be completely honest, I was super stressed about this trip before leaving. As a full time nursing student and a full time employee at the hospital, it was hard to come up with all the money in order to go. I also was a little nervous about being gone for 2 weeks. It seemed like a long time to be away. The IVHQ website made everything super easy to complete before leaving. I didn't really know what to expect or what we would be doing, but I was getting more and more excited as our departure date came closer. After such a long travel, we were greeted at the airport by two IVHQ employees, Evans and Elvis. They were so warm and welcoming and made the arrival process super smooth. We got to the volunteer house that night and the accommodation was wonderful. We were able to shower and get to bed comfortably. All of the IVHQ staff was so friendly and kind. Nancy is such a wonderful cook with such a kind heart. She bought us ice cream one day when we were driving. We were so lucky to have been in Ghana when Eddie was there. It was such a pleasure to meet him and be around him. We didn't get to spend a ton of time with Benedict, but based off the little time we spent with him he is an awesome guy also! The main staff member from IVHQ I want to recognize is Evans. He worked side by side with us for the entirety of our trip. He is such an incredibly hard worker with the biggest, kindest heart I have ever met. He worked tirelessly to ensure we had everything we needed. He would travel such far distances to pick up more malaria testing kits and medication. He made sure all of our transportation and accommodations for the weekend trips were perfect. He made our experience fun and most importantly, he made our experience successful! He is so wise and fun to be around. I learned so much from him and was really sad when we had to say goodbye. Anyone volunteering through IVHQ is so lucky if they get the pleasure to meet him and get to know him. We were able to effectively screen 1296 adults and children for malaria and then properly treat every single positive result. If that is not incredible I don't know what is! All of the food was wonderful and I enjoyed all of our accommodations as well. When I think back to the stressed feelings I had before this trip I want to laugh! I can't believe I was stressing about money or 2 weeks being away from home. Every cent that I spent towards this trip was worth it. This 2 week trip changed my life. I learned so much about myself, love, life, and the world around me. It opened my eyes in ways I could have never foreseen. I am 100% coming back next summer through IVHQ and I am hoping to come for 8 weeks, if not longer! I can't praise this organization enough or find the right words to give the credit it deserves. Thank you IVHQ!!!

2 weeks medical project

I traveled to Ghana in June 2017 as part of a group of 8 nursing students and an instructor. We visited three programs (silver, amber, and gold) with the main focus of malaria screenings. We would set up testing clinics in the schools or in various townships. By the end of our two week stay, we were able to complete 1,296 malaria tests and treat every person that tested positive with medication. We also checked vital signs, measured heights and weights, performed wound care, and gave general health advice. On one Wednesday, some of the group was able to follow a local midwife in her clinic. We performed routine prenatal care such as measuring the fundal height and auscultating the fetal heartbeat.
The success that we had with our clinics would not have been possible without the help of a local nurse, Eric, and IVHQ staff member Evans! We ran out of testing kits and medications several times due to the high volume of people coming to our clinics and Evans would always go out of his way to find more for us, which sometimes meant traveling for hours. We were all so appreciative of his hard work! He also organized our weekend trips for when we were not working the clinics. We had such a great time exploring Cape Coast, Kakum National Park, and Kokrobite!
I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to volunteer in Ghana. It was truly an eye-opening experience and I met so many wonderful people in the community as well as other volunteers at our placements. The staff were all amazing, the accommodations were comfortable, and we always felt safe! I only wish I could have stayed for a longer amount of time. I would suggest IVHQ Ghana to anyone considering volunteering abroad.

Medical (turquiose) volunteer in Senya Beraku, Ghana

I'm a labor and delivery nurse by trade. I spent two weeks in May of 2017 as a medical volunteer in a small village on the southern coast of Ghana. Although short, it was an amazing experience. I recommend anyone looking for a volunteer program to seek out International Volunteer HQ as their top choice. Special thanks to Kaila at IVHQ and the local Ghanian staff of Eddie, Benedict, Nancy, Elvis, Evans, Francis, Joe, etc from Volunteer Corps Organization. The entire program was smooth from planning to execution including getting to and from from various locations. I told the midwife that I worked with in Senya that I would return to see her in two to three years, only this time as a midwife. That's promise I look forward to keeping!

Ghana - medical

I volunteered in Ghana for 1 week. I was placed in the Turquoise program and the Senya Beraku Health Centre.

The IVHQ staff in Ghana were great! It was easy to find the meeting place outside the airport. Evans had pre-paid SIM cards on hand when we got to the main volunteer house in Madina; which was nice cause I was able to make contact with my family that night. We had a day of orientation with Benedict and language lessons with Evans. After orientation, everyone went in different vehicles depending which program they were placed in to go to the house. We stopped at a currency exchange store on the way, and Evans also bought us ice cream (FamMilk bars) when we stopped at an intersection.

I knew it was going to be hot, but it was a sticky hot kind of weather. So I recommend staying hydrated, wear cool clothes, bring sunblock, and a hat! Baby wipes also come in handy too.

The volunteer house in Senya had spare mosquito nets, so I didn't have to worry about trying to get one. And the security there is good. There are bars on the windows, and there is a gate that closes over the front door with a padlock at night. So it was reassuring that we could leave our valuables in the house and we were safe at night.

There were so many kids that would come to the house during the day! They loved getting their pictures taken. And snapchat was a big hit with them, especially all the filters!

The staff at the health centre were so nice! We got a tour of the centre. I learned a bit from them on what kind of maternity care the women in the community get. They had a horn shaped device to listen to the baby's heart beat through the mom's belly. I've never seen that device before and I got a chance to use it. I also learned that depending on what day you were born on, you'd get a name. Kind of like a nickname I guess. For example, girls born on Tuesdays are called Abana. I don't have a lot of experience in maternity due to the scope of practice from where I'm from. But one volunteer works with moms and babies, so she showed me how to assess a baby.

We went to Cape Coast for the weekend. The breeze was so nice. We toured the cape coast castle which was an awesome experience. You learn so much history, and our tour guide was funny.

Unfortunately I got sick; I reacted to my malaria pills. I couldn't eat, threw up, and broke out in hives on my arms and neck, and was just dizzy. Evans decided to take me to the hospital. He was great! He registered me while I waited and kept all my receipts together. I got an IV of fluids which was gonna take a little while to infuse, so he made sure I had his phone number in case I needed to reach him. And said he'd be back for when it's done infusing, as he had to get back to check in with the other volunteers. Two of the other volunteers had a room at hotel with AC, so they let me stay there during the day and I got a room for the last night at cape coast. Evans and the two volunteers checked in frequently to make sure I was alright.

I decided to go home two days early, and the staff were so kind about it. There was no disappointment or judgement from them what so ever. Arrangements were made with a volunteer back in Senya to pack my bag and give it to Francis, who then taxied to meet me and give me my stuff before I headed back to Madina with Evans.

Even though the trip didn't pan out how I expected it to go, I would definitely go back! I just would have to find an antimalarial I wouldn't react to! Everyone in Ghana was so friendly and the staff were awesome! Especially Evans, as he went above and beyond! I hope that someday I get the chance to go back!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review April 27, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Hi Hayley, It’s nice to hear from you! It is a shame that you had such a severe reaction to your malaria pills as it sounds like you volunteer program got off to a really good start. Thanks for maintaining high sprits while feeling so unwell; we completely understand why you needed to leave early. We would love to have you join us again and hope you will be able to do so soon!

I wish I could go back. Frankadua, my home for 3 weeks

My name is Ana Margarida Faustino, I am studying medicine. For a long time I really wanted to do a medicine and health volunteer program abroad. 2 older friends of mine went to India and Peru with IVHQ and suggested me this organization. Since the beginning IVHQ was my first choice, and my goal was Africa. There are a few different countries on this continent with medicine and health project, but I don't know how or why I felt a voice inside of me saying "Ghana Ghana." It was the best time of my life for sure!!! I didn't have any expectations... I wanted to be surprised! I took with me an open mind and open heart, with so much to give but also with so much to receive! I didn't unblock my phone because I didn't want to be distracted with all my friends and my family messages... I wanted to be there 100%. Culture and life are very different and it was impossible not to cry on the first and last day! I got used to the house and people of Frankadua, and after 1 month when I came back to my home country again I felt some kind of shock because everything was different. A friend of mine said "I've never seen your eyes with that shine" when I returned. I wish I could go back- THANK YOU GHANA!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 27, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Hi Ana, We would love to have you back! Thanks for joining us in Ghana with an open mind and open heart - you are an amazing volunteer!

IVHQ Ghana - Turquoise program, Medical 3-week volunteer

I had a wonderful 3 weeks at the turquoise program! The IVHQ staff was supportive throughout my entire time in Ghana. They checked in often to make sure everything was going well at the clinic and at the housing, and they even helped me plan weekend trips. The program itself offered many opportunities to help both at the clinic and at orphanage with the childcare program. I would highly recommend this program!

IVHQ Ghana, Turquoise Program

Three week medical mission trip to Senya Beraku, Ghana (turquoise program). Worked at a clinic within 10 min from the housing, and 30 min from a local orphanage. My roommate and I worked in the Maternity Ward at the clinic, and were able to help the midwife Dorothy with maternal checkups and deliveries. It was an amazing experience. The clinic is not super high volume and is not a hospital so make sure you know that before going. As much as I loved the medical program because I love obstetrics and delivery, I would also highly highly recommend working at the orphanage and doing "child care" because I think that is needed more. The children there absolutely love having visitors and the staff appreciates the help greatly. Overall awesome experience.

Medical project volunteering, IVHQ Ghana

I went for 2 weeks to Frankadua in Ghana with IVHQ and it was an absolutely fantastic experience! The IVHQ staff, the other volunteers and the local people were all really friendly and welcoming, Ghana is a beautiful country and I definitely want to come back in the future! On the medical programme I went to Frankadua health centre where I got to observe and help out with outreach programmes, family planning, child health and immunisations as well as malaria and other blood testing in the lab. As a third year medical student from the UK it was really interesting to see how different the healthcare system and delivery of healthcare is. The accommodation was great; I had a lot of fun in the volunteer house with the other volunteers and playing with the local children who were always hanging out on our porch! The food, courtesy of Evans, was delicious and the generous portion sizes meant you would never go hungry! The programme was also very well organised and I felt well looked after by IVHQ staff. On the weekends we did some exploring of Ghana which was really fun as there's a lot to see in Ghana and getting around in tro-tros is a real adventure! I would definitely recommend IVHQ Ghana, I had such an awesome time I wish I had stayed for 6 weeks rather than just 2!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review March 10, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Hi Megan, It’s nice to hear from you. It sounds like you had a very full and rewarding two weeks in Ghana! It’s great to hear that you felt well supported by our local team. Thanks for the recommendation. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

We have one goal

In Senya Beraku, Ghana every healthcare provider (PA, RN, CNA, Midwife, Volunteer, etc.) have one goal. That goal is to provide the best possible healthcare for people in the community and surrounding communities with the supplies on hand.
I am forever grateful for the time taken by the Ghanaian people to teach me about their healthcare system and allow me the opportunity to share about mine in the United States. The lessons I learned will be etched in my mind and heart forever. Truly a humbling experience!!
Many thanks to Leticia for her knowledge and being an amazing colleague! Madame Grace (Midwife) serves as an inspiration and taught me about life. Always giving without asking for anything in exchange. There are so many at the clinic that I cannot name each individual.
This volunteer experience was enhanced by my fellow volunteers who gave unselfishly their time, care, and love. Other notable persons who made my volunteer trip something I will not ever forget include Vestra who fed me, Evans Nkansah who master-minded travel arrangements and checked in frequently to ensure all was well. Not sure how he does it with so many programs and volunteers, but he made it look easy! Freddy, Pricilla, and Shadow are the most loving and caring children I have met. They and their family helped me to understand the culture and provided personal "tours" of the community.
It is my hope that God blesses me with another volunteer experience to Senya.

Frankadua clinic medical placement

Participating a medical volunteering experience in rural Ghana is certainly an experience of a life time. Although the sustainability of the clinical work remains unclear, I would certainly hope that my contribution to other aspects of their health section, such as education and founding new programs, will have an ultimate long term impact on improving their healthcare quality. This is only made possible with the help of the local team in Ghana, with my special thanks and acknowledgement to Evans. Evans is an extremely helpful team member who would go out of his way to help any volunteers. He is trustworthy and reliable, virtues that are rare to come by in Africa.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 07, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Hi Kelvin, Thanks for sharing. We are glad to hear that your time on the Medical project in Ghana was an experience of a lifetime. It is great that you found our local team helpful, trustworthy and reliable. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
    Kaila – IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Great experience in China!

I went to Ghana on the 13th of September, 2016 to volunteer at a medical clinic in Frankadua, about 2 hours by bus, North East from Accra. It was part of the 'purple program' which consists of other kinds of volunteering endeavours such as education and agriculture.
When I arrived in Ghana, I was duly picked up at the airport by the staff of IVHQ. We spent the first night at the volunteer house in Accra which was just a temporary stop where all volunteers went to for their orientation. Everyone was very welcoming and also very accommodating. I got to meet other volunteers from other parts of the world and become acquainted with them.
The next day was our orientation and afterwards we travelled to our individual placements. Our interim program coordinator, Evans was (and still is) very apt in recognizing the needs of volunteers and offering solid, tangible solutions. Some of the things he was able to help with in my case for example were things like acquiring a Ghanaian SIM card to communicate with my friends and family. He also escorted us to the purple program and helped get us settled in. He was available round-the-clock to answer any questions we may have about the program, donations, the culture, what to expect, etc. I can honestly say that I didn't go into the purple program with any doubt about what to expect.
There is a volunteer house right within the community that is pretty much a hotspot where a lot of the locals come to hang out and get better acquainted with the international volunteers. The volunteers I stayed with were extremely friendly. We got along quite nicely.
My time in Ghana was actually short. I was only able to do a week due to the amount of time I was able to take off work. But within that week, we did a lot. We went to cape coast, saw the cape coast castle where slaves were held prior to shipment, we went to the Kakum National Park for a hike and also went to pet crocodiles as well.
The clinic in Frankadua is the only clinic in the community and where most of the locals go for medical their medical needs. It functions primarily as a malaria clinic and practically all the clients would get tested for malaria test post-triage/ initial assessment. If there are any differential diagnoses out of the scope of the clinic, or seemingly idiopathic in nature, the patients are referred to one of the bigger hospitals in the neighbouring cities. Other common ailments include anemia, gastroenteritis, etc. Mama Christine who runs the clinic is very adept. There are other staff nurses and a lab technician that work there. There is a governmental run insurance program for Ghanaians and so a lot of the time, the clinical visits are covered by the government which I thought was very progressive and encouraging.
There is also a maternity ward for labour and delivery and about 8 beds or so for admitting patients. Pregnant soon-to-be mothers are routinely checked upon and the clinic does monthly out reach programs for post-partum mothers at different parts of the community.
All in all, its safe to say that you won't be disappointed to volunteer here at the medical program with IVHQ at Frankadua.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 21, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Hi Tolu, Thank you for sharing. It sounds like your week on the Medical Project in Ghana went very smoothly. We are glad that the local team and the other volunteers warmly welcomed you; this is such a nice way to begin your program! Thanks for being an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us again.

Medical volunteering in Franakdua, Ghana

I have had the most incredible experience on the Purple programme in Frankadua Ghana. Words cannot describe how amazing the programme is. I stayed for 2 weeks and have completely fallen in love with the people of Ghana. The staff, children and local people of Frankadua are the most friendly and welcoming people I have met in my life and I always felt comfortable. The food and accommodation was very good and the staff were always willing to take on constructive criticism and make improvements. Evans, our wonderful cook and co-ordinator, always looked after us very well and cooked delicious food. There were 7 volunteers in the house from all over the world so there was never a dull moment and weekend travelling was also very fun ! I would definitely recommend IVHQ to anyone who is considering volunteering abroad and would recommend Ghana as their destination even more! My only regret is that I wish I had stayed for longer than 2 weeks !!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review March 03, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Hi Chandini, Thanks your review. We are so glad to hear that you had such a positive experience volunteering in Ghana. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to see you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

Two weeks not enough!

I volunteered through IVHQ in a medical program for Volunteer Corps Purple Program. I absolutely loved it. The work was a little less intense than I had hoped but still a very good experience overall. I would say this is an awesome program for any nursing student. My only advice would be to stay at least one month and be ready to rough it a little. Overall great experience and I can't wait to return!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review May 25, 2017 at 9:34 PM

Hi Tyler, We are stoked to hear that you loved your time in Ghana! Thanks for your advice and for recommending this program to nursing students. We can’t wait to have you back!

Senya Beraku - Medical volunteering Jan 2017

I had the most amazing two weeks in Ghana with IVHQ.
I chose to do the medical volunteering programme as I am a U.K. Student nurse (final year).
Unfortunately I had to return early due to being sick, but I was given amazing in country support by the local staff (Evans, Seth and Francis). They made sure I got medical attention very quickly and assisted me to the airport to return home.

I was based in the Senya Beraku Health Centre. The staff their were amazing and cope so well with the limited supplies in the centre. They were very welcoming and loved having the volunteers there with them!

I worked Mon-Fri 8am -11:45am. Had lunch at the volunteer house, then went back to the clinic until about 3pm.
The tasks I assisted with were:
- wound dressings
- injections
- vitals
To be honest, you could help to your own ability.

I had the most amazing, life changing experience and wouldn't have changed it for the world. I met some awesome people who have impacted my life and really given me a different outlook to life in the modern world.

I would reccomend this placement to anyone. Very affordable and fantastic in country support.

The only one criticism is lack of things to do in the evening, few bars are scattered around the town but we were advised not to go out in the evenings. But we made our own entertainment, cards, jenga, cleaning!!

*****