Volunteer in Medicine in Ghana

Ghana - medical

I volunteered in Ghana for 1 week. I was placed in the Turquoise program and the Senya Beraku Health Centre.

The IVHQ staff in Ghana were great! It was easy to find the meeting place outside the airport. Evans had pre-paid SIM cards on hand when we got to the main volunteer house in Madina; which was nice cause I was able to make contact with my family that night. We had a day of orientation with Benedict and language lessons with Evans. After orientation, everyone went in different vehicles depending which program they were placed in to go to the house. We stopped at a currency exchange store on the way, and Evans also bought us ice cream (FamMilk bars) when we stopped at an intersection.

I knew it was going to be hot, but it was a sticky hot kind of weather. So I recommend staying hydrated, wear cool clothes, bring sunblock, and a hat! Baby wipes also come in handy too.

The volunteer house in Senya had spare mosquito nets, so I didn't have to worry about trying to get one. And the security there is good. There are bars on the windows, and there is a gate that closes over the front door with a padlock at night. So it was reassuring that we could leave our valuables in the house and we were safe at night.

There were so many kids that would come to the house during the day! They loved getting their pictures taken. And snapchat was a big hit with them, especially all the filters!

The staff at the health centre were so nice! We got a tour of the centre. I learned a bit from them on what kind of maternity care the women in the community get. They had a horn shaped device to listen to the baby's heart beat through the mom's belly. I've never seen that device before and I got a chance to use it. I also learned that depending on what day you were born on, you'd get a name. Kind of like a nickname I guess. For example, girls born on Tuesdays are called Abana. I don't have a lot of experience in maternity due to the scope of practice from where I'm from. But one volunteer works with moms and babies, so she showed me how to assess a baby.

We went to Cape Coast for the weekend. The breeze was so nice. We toured the cape coast castle which was an awesome experience. You learn so much history, and our tour guide was funny.

Unfortunately I got sick; I reacted to my malaria pills. I couldn't eat, threw up, and broke out in hives on my arms and neck, and was just dizzy. Evans decided to take me to the hospital. He was great! He registered me while I waited and kept all my receipts together. I got an IV of fluids which was gonna take a little while to infuse, so he made sure I had his phone number in case I needed to reach him. And said he'd be back for when it's done infusing, as he had to get back to check in with the other volunteers. Two of the other volunteers had a room at hotel with AC, so they let me stay there during the day and I got a room for the last night at cape coast. Evans and the two volunteers checked in frequently to make sure I was alright.

I decided to go home two days early, and the staff were so kind about it. There was no disappointment or judgement from them what so ever. Arrangements were made with a volunteer back in Senya to pack my bag and give it to Francis, who then taxied to meet me and give me my stuff before I headed back to Madina with Evans.

Even though the trip didn't pan out how I expected it to go, I would definitely go back! I just would have to find an antimalarial I wouldn't react to! Everyone in Ghana was so friendly and the staff were awesome! Especially Evans, as he went above and beyond! I hope that someday I get the chance to go back!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review April 27, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Hi Hayley, It’s nice to hear from you! It is a shame that you had such a severe reaction to your malaria pills as it sounds like you volunteer program got off to a really good start. Thanks for maintaining high sprits while feeling so unwell; we completely understand why you needed to leave early. We would love to have you join us again and hope you will be able to do so soon!
    Kaila – IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

I wish I could go back. Frankadua, my home for 3 weeks

My name is Ana Margarida Faustino, I am studying medicine. For a long time I really wanted to do a medicine and health volunteer program abroad. 2 older friends of mine went to India and Peru with IVHQ and suggested me this organization. Since the beginning IVHQ was my first choice, and my goal was Africa. There are a few different countries on this continent with medicine and health project, but I don't know how or why I felt a voice inside of me saying "Ghana Ghana." It was the best time of my life for sure!!! I didn't have any expectations... I wanted to be surprised! I took with me an open mind and open heart, with so much to give but also with so much to receive! I didn't unblock my phone because I didn't want to be distracted with all my friends and my family messages... I wanted to be there 100%. Culture and life are very different and it was impossible not to cry on the first and last day! I got used to the house and people of Frankadua, and after 1 month when I came back to my home country again I felt some kind of shock because everything was different. A friend of mine said "I've never seen your eyes with that shine" when I returned. I wish I could go back- THANK YOU GHANA!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 27, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Hi Ana, We would love to have you back! Thanks for joining us in Ghana with an open mind and open heart - you are an amazing volunteer!

IVHQ Ghana - Turquoise program, Medical 3-week volunteer

I had a wonderful 3 weeks at the turquoise program! The IVHQ staff was supportive throughout my entire time in Ghana. They checked in often to make sure everything was going well at the clinic and at the housing, and they even helped me plan weekend trips. The program itself offered many opportunities to help both at the clinic and at orphanage with the childcare program. I would highly recommend this program!

IVHQ Ghana, Turquoise Program

Three week medical mission trip to Senya Beraku, Ghana (turquoise program). Worked at a clinic within 10 min from the housing, and 30 min from a local orphanage. My roommate and I worked in the Maternity Ward at the clinic, and were able to help the midwife Dorothy with maternal checkups and deliveries. It was an amazing experience. The clinic is not super high volume and is not a hospital so make sure you know that before going. As much as I loved the medical program because I love obstetrics and delivery, I would also highly highly recommend working at the orphanage and doing "child care" because I think that is needed more. The children there absolutely love having visitors and the staff appreciates the help greatly. Overall awesome experience.

Medical project volunteering, IVHQ Ghana

I went for 2 weeks to Frankadua in Ghana with IVHQ and it was an absolutely fantastic experience! The IVHQ staff, the other volunteers and the local people were all really friendly and welcoming, Ghana is a beautiful country and I definitely want to come back in the future! On the medical programme I went to Frankadua health centre where I got to observe and help out with outreach programmes, family planning, child health and immunisations as well as malaria and other blood testing in the lab. As a third year medical student from the UK it was really interesting to see how different the healthcare system and delivery of healthcare is. The accommodation was great; I had a lot of fun in the volunteer house with the other volunteers and playing with the local children who were always hanging out on our porch! The food, courtesy of Evans, was delicious and the generous portion sizes meant you would never go hungry! The programme was also very well organised and I felt well looked after by IVHQ staff. On the weekends we did some exploring of Ghana which was really fun as there's a lot to see in Ghana and getting around in tro-tros is a real adventure! I would definitely recommend IVHQ Ghana, I had such an awesome time I wish I had stayed for 6 weeks rather than just 2!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review March 10, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Hi Megan, It’s nice to hear from you. It sounds like you had a very full and rewarding two weeks in Ghana! It’s great to hear that you felt well supported by our local team. Thanks for the recommendation. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Frankadua clinic medical placement

Participating a medical volunteering experience in rural Ghana is certainly an experience of a life time. Although the sustainability of the clinical work remains unclear, I would certainly hope that my contribution to other aspects of their health section, such as education and founding new programs, will have an ultimate long term impact on improving their healthcare quality. This is only made possible with the help of the local team in Ghana, with my special thanks and acknowledgement to Evans. Evans is an extremely helpful team member who would go out of his way to help any volunteers. He is trustworthy and reliable, virtues that are rare to come by in Africa.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review February 07, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Hi Kelvin, Thanks for sharing. We are glad to hear that your time on the Medical project in Ghana was an experience of a lifetime. It is great that you found our local team helpful, trustworthy and reliable. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
    Kaila – IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Great experience in China!

I went to Ghana on the 13th of September, 2016 to volunteer at a medical clinic in Frankadua, about 2 hours by bus, North East from Accra. It was part of the 'purple program' which consists of other kinds of volunteering endeavours such as education and agriculture.
When I arrived in Ghana, I was duly picked up at the airport by the staff of IVHQ. We spent the first night at the volunteer house in Accra which was just a temporary stop where all volunteers went to for their orientation. Everyone was very welcoming and also very accommodating. I got to meet other volunteers from other parts of the world and become acquainted with them.
The next day was our orientation and afterwards we travelled to our individual placements. Our interim program coordinator, Evans was (and still is) very apt in recognizing the needs of volunteers and offering solid, tangible solutions. Some of the things he was able to help with in my case for example were things like acquiring a Ghanaian SIM card to communicate with my friends and family. He also escorted us to the purple program and helped get us settled in. He was available round-the-clock to answer any questions we may have about the program, donations, the culture, what to expect, etc. I can honestly say that I didn't go into the purple program with any doubt about what to expect.
There is a volunteer house right within the community that is pretty much a hotspot where a lot of the locals come to hang out and get better acquainted with the international volunteers. The volunteers I stayed with were extremely friendly. We got along quite nicely.
My time in Ghana was actually short. I was only able to do a week due to the amount of time I was able to take off work. But within that week, we did a lot. We went to cape coast, saw the cape coast castle where slaves were held prior to shipment, we went to the Kakum National Park for a hike and also went to pet crocodiles as well.
The clinic in Frankadua is the only clinic in the community and where most of the locals go for medical their medical needs. It functions primarily as a malaria clinic and practically all the clients would get tested for malaria test post-triage/ initial assessment. If there are any differential diagnoses out of the scope of the clinic, or seemingly idiopathic in nature, the patients are referred to one of the bigger hospitals in the neighbouring cities. Other common ailments include anemia, gastroenteritis, etc. Mama Christine who runs the clinic is very adept. There are other staff nurses and a lab technician that work there. There is a governmental run insurance program for Ghanaians and so a lot of the time, the clinical visits are covered by the government which I thought was very progressive and encouraging.
There is also a maternity ward for labour and delivery and about 8 beds or so for admitting patients. Pregnant soon-to-be mothers are routinely checked upon and the clinic does monthly out reach programs for post-partum mothers at different parts of the community.
All in all, its safe to say that you won't be disappointed to volunteer here at the medical program with IVHQ at Frankadua.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 21, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Hi Tolu, Thank you for sharing. It sounds like your week on the Medical Project in Ghana went very smoothly. We are glad that the local team and the other volunteers warmly welcomed you; this is such a nice way to begin your program! Thanks for being an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us again.

Medical volunteering in Franakdua, Ghana

I have had the most incredible experience on the Purple programme in Frankadua Ghana. Words cannot describe how amazing the programme is. I stayed for 2 weeks and have completely fallen in love with the people of Ghana. The staff, children and local people of Frankadua are the most friendly and welcoming people I have met in my life and I always felt comfortable. The food and accommodation was very good and the staff were always willing to take on constructive criticism and make improvements. Evans, our wonderful cook and co-ordinator, always looked after us very well and cooked delicious food. There were 7 volunteers in the house from all over the world so there was never a dull moment and weekend travelling was also very fun ! I would definitely recommend IVHQ to anyone who is considering volunteering abroad and would recommend Ghana as their destination even more! My only regret is that I wish I had stayed for longer than 2 weeks !!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review March 03, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Hi Chandini, Thanks your review. We are so glad to hear that you had such a positive experience volunteering in Ghana. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to see you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

Senya Beraku - Medical volunteering Jan 2017

I had the most amazing two weeks in Ghana with IVHQ.
I chose to do the medical volunteering programme as I am a U.K. Student nurse (final year).
Unfortunately I had to return early due to being sick, but I was given amazing in country support by the local staff (Evans, Seth and Francis). They made sure I got medical attention very quickly and assisted me to the airport to return home.

I was based in the Senya Beraku Health Centre. The staff their were amazing and cope so well with the limited supplies in the centre. They were very welcoming and loved having the volunteers there with them!

I worked Mon-Fri 8am -11:45am. Had lunch at the volunteer house, then went back to the clinic until about 3pm.
The tasks I assisted with were:
- wound dressings
- injections
- vitals
To be honest, you could help to your own ability.

I had the most amazing, life changing experience and wouldn't have changed it for the world. I met some awesome people who have impacted my life and really given me a different outlook to life in the modern world.

I would reccomend this placement to anyone. Very affordable and fantastic in country support.

The only one criticism is lack of things to do in the evening, few bars are scattered around the town but we were advised not to go out in the evenings. But we made our own entertainment, cards, jenga, cleaning!!

*****