IES Internships - Barcelona Summer Internship
IES Internships participant inside a stadium IES Internships participant inside a stadium

IES Internships - Barcelona Summer Internship

Seven months of self-discovery

Take me back to early Sunday mornings strolling through barrio Les Corts for hours on end. Take me back to typical 9PM dinners with my host mom as my roommates and I fought over that pasta of hers we fell in love with. Take me back to Parc de la Ciutadella, where I never failed to find the perfect bench facing away from the Barcelona sun and crack a book open until the sun began to set. Take me back. Of course I fell in love with Barcelona. Everyone warned me that I would. “If you leave, you’ll never want to come back,” they said. And they were right!

I was certain that Barcelona would leave an unforgettable impression on me. I had been dreaming of this trip since I was fifteen. So when April came along and I thought of my time abroad coming to an end, I could not bare to say goodbye just yet. I hadn’t seen all I needed to see or met quite enough strangers that soon turned into life-long friends. More importantly, I did not feel like I had left even the slightest mark on the city that had left a permanent mark on me. It was my turn to give back a little of the magic that I had been lucky enough to receive. That’s where Make-A-Wish Spain came in.

When given the opportunity to extend my stay in Barcelona, from the Spring 2016 IES Study Abroad Program to the Summer 2016 IES Internship Program, it was one of the easiest decisions I had ever made. Each and every member of the IES Barcelona staff made me feel confident in my ability to pursue yet another three-month journey in this city — with them as my academic gurus and unwavering moral support system, of course. Ana and Maria, coordinators of the IES Barcelona Internship Program, reviewed my résumé, cover letter, and career goals and thought I was great fit for Make-A-Wish Spain, a nonprofit organization aimed at granting the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. I learned so much from my time at Make-A-Wish Spain. I had the pleasure of working alongside some of the most kind-hearted people I have ever met as they taught me the beauty and the power that lay within each child’s wish. I worked in multiple departments such as Social Work, Communications, and Fundraising and even had the chance to work with a few wish-kids and families. In all honesty, that was my favorite part of this experience — seeing how one child’s wish can turn into a whole family’s source of hope, strength, and joy.

After seven months of immersing myself in the Spanish culture and three months of working towards this beautiful cause, I said a heartfelt “see you later” to those spontaneous strolls through my neighborhood, dinners with my host mom, afternoons at the park, and 9-2 shifts at Make-A-Wish Spain. It was difficult accepting the fact that my time here was up. Though brief, it taught me more about myself than any other experience I have been fortunate enough to have. After studying abroad, we admit to finding new versions of ourselves — independent and adventurous versions that may have been hiding within us all along. That’s one half of my seven-month "self-discovery” process. Finding the other half, the one now guiding my life choices and career path, was all thanks to the IES Study Abroad/Internship Program and Make-A-Wish Spain. Without them, I would not have found my passion for nonprofit work. I’ll never be able to thank them enough for changing my life the way they did. I only hope that more students get the opportunity to study and intern abroad through IES Barcelona, and that in doing so, they learn not only about this beautiful city but about themselves as well.

Wonders of Barcelona Summer 2015

As I struggled to get off the plane when first landing in Spain, I could not bare to leave once boarding to head back to the states. Espana had taken a toll on me and I loved it. The city is full of color and culture. Reminding me more and more of my Indian culture and my home and favorite city, Chicago. I knew there would be changes in the two but I was up for the challenge. I had no problem in the process along the way as the IES team does a great job of being responsive and communicates what they need with deadlines to keep you on track. I had a different case being in graduate school but everything worked smoothly. Aja was a great help.

I did not know what to expect living away from home but being able to live with a homestay made life so much easier. Actually, better than home as laundry was taken care of, Breakfast and Dinner prepared and the willingness to teach the Spanish language to us always. I would like to say that Barcelona is a great city to tour and be in as there is so much to see and so much great food around. To add, it is the best of the beaches and land. Very clear waters and a relaxed environment. I love the relaxed environment people live by in Spain and eases the pressure that comes along from America.

I recommend anyone traveling and thinking about to be in Barcelona. It is the happening city and going with IES, they help assimilate into every aspect from homestay to weekend trips and even weekly events to get to know the people.

Amazing cultural and work experience abroad

I had always wanted to travel to Barcelona, Spain since I was young and IES Abroad offered the perfect opportunity for me get the most out my abroad experience in Barcelona. I wasn't sure about being abroad for an entire semester, so the 2 month option through IES Internships was a perfect amount of time to truly experience the Barcelona culture.

I took the 1 credit internship as well as a Spanish class. I would work for most of the day and then go to Spanish (Spanish was only for half of the two months). I am a marketing major at Clemson University, and through IES Internships, I was matched up with a company to do their social media. Doing an internship abroad was a once in a lifetime experience. It taught me skills such as communication across cultures, independence, a strong work ethic, and the ability to work with people from all over the world.

Barcelona is a beautiful, lively city never with a shortage of something to do. It really has everything you could ever want while traveling abroad. There was some of the best food I have ever had and there was so much history and beautiful architecture to take in. I can't forget to mention the exciting social scene. Barcelona was some of the most fun times I have had going out. I highly recommend doing an internship in Barcelona through IES Abroad because you get to experience a new, exciting culture as well as gain real world work experience that will differentiate you from others.

Barcelona summer internship review

The 2 months I spent in Barcelona were some of the best in my entire life. I was able to get a great balance of working, exploring the city, and meeting new people. I would highly recommend Barcelona as a city to study abroad in. There is so much to do there that it is impossible to get bored.