Spain - Conservation Projects in the Valencia Region
two tigers two tigers

Spain - Conservation Projects in the Valencia Region

Overall I had a wonderful experience

Overall I had a wonderful experience. I signed up through GoEco at the last minute, and everyone was very accommodating. The program itself was exactly as promised, and I received much more than I expected from the entire adventure. Through this trip, I was able to learn applicable conservation techniques, make international friends who shared the same interests in conservation, learn more Spanish and enjoy the relaxing and friendly culture of Valencia.

Here are my favorite parts of the programs:
-Being able to indirectly see the transformation of rice fields and orange groves into successful wetlands through the daily work of NGOs and volunteers like us
-Listening to the NGO workers talk to us in Spanish about the science and progress behind their projects
-Being able to learn and practice Castilian Spanish among welcoming and patient people
-Experiencing a few natural wonders of Spain such as Albufera Park, Chelva and the Mediterranean forest at El Saler beach
-Making international friends who share the same interests in conservation

Valencian wetlands

In Valencia, I volunteered in maintaining wetlands renovated from rice fields and orange groves. I learned valuable conservation techniques, including water quality tests, experiments to see which mixture of wetland plants act as the best natural filter, cage construction to protect aquatic plants, migratory bird surveys, and the survey and removal of invasive species. In addition to the heaps of knowledge gained in wetland ecosystems and conservation techniques, it was a pleasure to interact on a daily basis with the passionate and friendly NGO and EU workers, and to learn so much about Spanish culture and language through them. Finally, I was grateful for the international volunteers like me from a diverse array of countries, with the same enthusiasm for the subject matter and also for exploring the lovely city! The program coordinator made sure that we had plenty of time to venture, and offered optional cultural activities during the evenings and weekends.