South Africa - Cape Town Community Projects
GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

South Africa - Cape Town Community Projects

Finding true happiness in Cape Town

Having the opportunity to volunteer abroad was the most amazing and rewarding experience of my life. It was my first time traveling overseas and GoEco made absolutely sure that I had all of the correct information I needed to arrive to Cape Town and the Save Foundation safe and sound. I made best friends for life from all around the globe and got to teach children so many new things. I am very thankful for this project as it has changed my outlook on life and ideas of what I want to do in the future. GoEco was a perfect fit for me because the low price, super friendly staff, and fast responses to the many questions I had about the project. Thank you, GoEco, for changing my life!

Nothing short of Spectacular

My experience volunteering in South Africa was amazing in every aspect. I spent a total of 4 weeks there and it honestly was not long enough. I could have spent months in Cape Town and never would have gotten the slightest bit bored.

I stayed at SaltyCrax backpackers which was an awesome hostel with great staff. Everyone was so welcoming and nice. I immediately became part of the SaltyCrax family. Dinner every night was amazing (especially the Braai YUM). The rooms were really clean and there was a good hang out space in our house as well as outside, there was a bonfire, a lawn, and the bar is super cozy and a great place to hang out with the fellow volunteers and backpackers at night. Its a five minute walk from the beach, really good restaurants, the bus station, mall and local convenience store. Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay.

The project was amazing. All of the volunteers were a little nervous about what to expect walking into school the first day. We were in a really poor area and it was really sad to learn about the conditions that most of the kids were living in. The second we stepped in, all of the kids were waiting for us and were yelling, "TEACHER, TEACHER, TEACHER!!!" They were so cute and immediately ran up to us and started climbing all over us, giving us lots of hugs and kisses and just so happy to have attention and love. The littlest things make them so happy. Teaching them was a little overwhelming at first but they were an absolute pleasure and it brought tears to my eyes watching them learn and grow. You have the opportunity to create your own lessons and adjust them according to how you see fit based on the children's ability. Aside from teaching them, I had so much fun going outside with them during playtime and helping them swing from the monkey bars or kicking a ball around with them or just playing tag. They were such a pleasure and leaving them was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but I would not trade that experience for the world.

Aside from the volunteering aspect, I had an amazing time in the city of Cape Town. You will NEVER run out of things to do there. On my free time I hiked Lions Head and Table Mountain, went to see the sunset on Signal Hill, learned to surf, went to museums and tours around the city, went to the beach, did a Cape Point tour where we saw lots of penguins, did a weekend trip where we visited the Cango Caves, walked with elephants, went kayaking in Wilderness National Park, jumped off the highest bungee bride in the world and went on a Safari. I also did the wine tour, visited Robben Island and shark cage dived. Aside from all the activities I did, there were SO many more that are available to you and it's super easy to book them through SaltyCrax.

I HIGHLY recommend this program. I booked through GoEco and they made the process super easy and they were very helpful with my many questions and concerns. Thank you GoEco for helping me make the best decision and for giving me the most amazing experience of my life. Nothing could ever compare to this trip.

My incredible adventure Educare & Skills Development in Cape Town, South Africa

This trip, from beginning to end, was by far one of the most life-changing experiences I have ever lived. Even though my young age, I feel as though this experience was simply eye-opening. I did not have any expectations before going to South Africa. Although poverty may be present in some areas of Cape Town, I couldn’t help but notice the beauty within the poorer communities.
I lived in a house, full of Europeans, all wanting to make a change in this world, starting by Cape Town, more specifically the area of Du Noon. We went to our designated schools (or educares) by 08:00. My educare was Foot Steps. A very small place, with two rectangular tin containers forming an ‘L’ shape. Those were the children’s classrooms. One was for the 3-4 year olds, the other for the 5-6 year olds. The principal of the school used her house as a classroom for the babies, aged from 0-2 years old. The kids do not have an interior toilet therefore they must pee in the outside area. The outside area is small. Too small for 45+ kids to play in. The children were all so sweet. I had the 3-4 year old class and the teacher’s name was Lulu. They all spoke Xhosa, the local language. Most could not speak English but they understood some words. The kids loved singing. They would sing “Head, shoulders, knees and toes”, or songs that they made up like “Days of the week”, “Seasons of the year”, and many other English and Xhosa songs. The kids get fed breakfast, lunch and dinner because most kids do not have food at home. Most parents invest in the children’s appearances with new clothing and nice weaves but do not have money to buy food.
There were also plenty of activities that I got to do. On my first weekend in Cape Town, I went to the Cheetah Outreach where my roommates and I got to pet cheetahs. Then we went shark cage diving (brace yourselves, pick up time is usually at 03:00). During the week, I got to go climb Table Mountain and Lion’s Head. I also took part in a wine tour, where we visited five wineries (best wine I have ever had). We went to Robben Island where we got to see nelson Mandela’s cell. The tour guide was an ex-political prisoner who knew Mandela while in jail. We got to learn many facts about the prison itself and the prisoners who were sent to Robben Island. I also did the Cape Point tour and learned about the history of Cape Town involving the Dutch and the English, as well as seeing penguins and ostriches at the Cape of Good Hope. I bought myself a long-board to go around Table View (the roads were perfectly smooth to cruise around). We also attended a rugby game featuring the DHL Stormers of Cape Town against the Crusaders of New-Zealand. Unfortunately, the Stormers got destroyed. My co-volunteers and I would also go to Long Street, also known as the Party Street. So many activities but so little time.
No words can describe the amazing feeling I had throughout this unbelievable trip. Everybody I have met, volunteers, teachers, locals… were all so open-minded and kind. I am beyond grateful for my project leaders, Gail and Shannon, who have helped me with everything during this adventure and I hope that everybody has an experience as incredible as mine.