Study and Intern with the CAPA Sydney Program
CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image

Study and Intern with the CAPA Sydney Program

Incredible

I loved my experience in Sydney. Over the course of three months, I met and spoke with locals, improved my time- management skills, gained confidence while travelling and interacting with new people, and learned more about Australian culture from living there. I have nothing but good things ti say about my experiences and now definitely have a travel bug!

Unforgettable

Studying abroad, especially a country so far away from my own, gave me a new sense of independence and confidence from going abroad and going outside of my comfort zone. I met so many people that are now amazing friends! The opportunities for travel and adventure are limitless! CAPA was by my side the whole time and always available for support or resources. The experiences I was able to get from living in another country and having the ability to travel to such amazing places was incredible and I will cherish the memories forever!

The ultimate college experience

I came into college as an "undeclared" major, having no clue what I type of professional I wanted to be; but, I knew I needed to study abroad before graduating. Last semester I went on the opportunity of a lifetime - I was able to study and intern abroad in Sydney, Australia. I am so happy I chose CAPA to be the program to help and to host me along the way. The CAPA staff were always so kind and thorough when addressing questions or concerns. A main reason I chose CAPA was because they use their already established connections to assign the best internship for you. You're not stuck finding a job in a foreign country all alone- they kind of do the hard work for you. I was able to intern at a Public Relations firm in the Central Business District and gain hands-on experience. As for classes, all of the CAPA professors were knowledgeable and experienced in their subjects. They were sure to make all of their subject matter relate back to our American culture. I learned so much about the world and most importantly, myself. Do not let your finances or fears stop you from the most amazing college experience.

Interning abroad in Sydney, Australia with DEC PR & Communications

CAPA The Global Education Network allowed me not only to study abroad down under in Australia but also found me an awesome internship based on my own personal interests and major. They did an awesome job by placing me with an internship with DEC PR & Communications right in the heart of the CBD in Sydney. I was able to work with individuals from all over the world and get involved with representing and marketing for clients within the national and international level.
A list of my responsibilities as an intern at DEC PR & Communications included:
• Researched information for projects and goals the company concerning the optimized representation of clients and organizations.
• Partook in brainstorming and creative writing for social media, blog posts, and pitch ideas for promoting clients/products.
• Collaborated with the following brands: Coca Cola, Trivett Bespoke Luxury Cars Australia (RollsRoyce, Bentley, Aston Martin, and McLaren), Club Med, Frasers Property, Melbourne Airport, Palmolive, and Mirvac.

I am so grateful for this experience to not only study but work abroad in another global city of my choosing. CAPA did an excellent job with pairing relevant classes for students to take (I took Intercultural Communication and International Dimensions of Organizational Behavior), sorting out student housing in a modernized student housing apartment, hosting fun group events & activities, and ensuring the safety and overall quality of my experience in Australia.

Therefore I would like to give a big shout out & thank you to CAPA The Global Education Network! I would definitely recommend studying/interning abroad with this unbelievable program which is currently offering programs in London, Florence, Dublin, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, and Sydney.

Mates for lIfe

Going abroad to Australia was one of the best decisions of my life. I was already nervous about going so far away but CAPA made it a great experience. I had an internship at a major media company called Southern Cross Austereo and I bought and sold commercials that was placed on television. I took three classes which was Film, Creative Writing and a Communications class. All of my classes were fun and interesting especially my creative writing class because it was small and we visited museums and houses of famous people. I learned a lot and got to work on poetry and short story throughout the class. My housing situation was an apartment shared with 7 other people. I did not enjoy sharing a kitchen with so many people and sometimes it was difficult to keep it clean. However, the apartments were only a block away from classes and only a few blocks from the train station. It was easy to get everywhere and it was on the main stop called Central. Food shopping can become expensive because overall Australia is an expensive place. Budgeting is very important! I found it better to organize things and write things down to help me budget. There is a lot of fun things to do in Sydney and good places to eat for a small amount of money. I went during the Fall time so there was many free festivals and free concerts. The CAPA administration are always there to help and very supportive. I was able to go to them with all of my personal and educational problems. The locals are also interesting and there is also a culture shock especially for me as an African American woman from Brooklyn. It was not as diverse as I thought it would be and with my huge afro sometimes I received unwanted attention. The locals also ask a lot of personal questions especially about your political views because they are open people about everything. They are humble, intelligent and well informed about the world so I would suggest doing some research before you go. Overall a great experience with CAPA, I got an internship, balanced school and explored. I suggest you check out the CAPA program and travel travel travel!

Interning abroad

Through CAPA, I was able to intern at a customizable sports gear startup in their supply and product department. As a business major, the experience was completely relevant and intriguing. Some days were difficult and confusing, but overall the experiences has really opened my eyes to the business world past the classroom and has given me some pretty funny stories along the way.

How to change your life in 3+ months

If you are looking to change your life in the most incredible way, studying abroad with CAPA is your key to achieving such things. I have a new perception of the world that is much more open and involves a new way of thinking unmatched by anything I could have gotten from a textbook in the United States. Going abroad for me helped become the focal bridge in linking what I am passionate about in life to my career aspirations. Studying abroad with CAPA pushed me to face challenges I could never have faced had I not been in a foreign country abroad. The beauty is what comes of challenges abroad that personally allowed me to grow and become a more complete person.
CAPA staff was there to help 100% of the time and helped make my experience as awesome as it was. They had incredible student apartments that we stayed in and set up many cultural activities that immediately helped us assimilate into the Australian culture.

Easy, fun, and excellent experience abroad

This program is a great choice. I loved that housing, transportation, classes, and your internship placement is fully handled by CAPA. Activities are planned throughout the semester, and the CAPA staff does their best to make sure you're enjoying your semester as best as possible. There are plenty of opportunities to travel, as well as explore Sydney. There is so much to do in the city, especially if you go during the summer when the beaches are open. The program offers relevant classes, places you in an internship that suits your career goals, and leaves plenty of time for fun. You'll get to meet other Americans on the trip, some even from your home university.

The adventure of a lifetime-incredible and unforgettable!

My study abroad experience was absolutely worthwhile-I would do it again in a heartbeat! I gained professional experience, independence, cultural awareness and much more. I learned about myself and that I can be confident in the face of challenges, and I can achieve anything i set my mind to. I cannot wait for my next Australian adventure and look forward to moving back and working and living there one day.

I loved my CAPA classes and my educational experience while I was abroad. I felt challenged by my courses but not overwhelmed, and I feel like I was able to learn a lot about the Oceania region through my classes. While I did had projects and papers to complete, I did not feel like my workload was too intense and I was confident in my ability to complete my work on time. The resources and support that CAPA offered me were a tremendous help as I learned to navigate the education system abroad. If I needed help with anything, from finding a fax machine or printer to navigating the online submission system, CAPA staff were always willing to help me and ensure that I had all the resources I needed to succeed. I felt like I had a really good balance of class assignments, internship duties and free time. I still had plenty of time to explore Australia and integrate myself into the culture, but my studies came first. I will always remember the help and support that my professors provided me with and the neat experiences I had within the classroom. My overall educational experience far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend CAPA to students who want to have an educational experience that enables them to interact with their host city and country.

I felt like I always had a safe place to go if I had questions or any concerns while in Australia. The CAPA support staff always encouraged students to stop by the office just to chat or try a yummy Australian snack. If I needed help finding a printer or fax machine, I could go there, and if I were to have had any issues, I am confident they would have helped me. It was so lovely to feel so welcome and at ease in a foreign country. The CAPA support staff planned many fun, optional activities for students as well-my favorite was the food crawl through Newtown!

I really liked the Urbanest apartments we were assigned. They were much better than I expected, with many amenities I really appreciated it, including a fitness center, computers and laundry room. The apartments were really nice and very big-especially the kitchen and the living room. I was surprised by how big they were! I always felt very safe in my urbanest and I enjoyed my living experience and getting to know my roommates!

I think about going back and repeating this amazing experience all the time. It was absolutely incredible to go to school, work and live in Australia, and it has completely changed my future. I want to move back one day. Studying abroad in Australia was always a dream of mine, and accomplishing it was absolutely incredible. Going abroad and traveling and experiencing another culture inspired me to always shoot for the stars and achieve my dreams-I want to continue living an extraordinary life and I look forward to the future. CAPA Sydney was the perfect mix of support and independence-I truly felt like I was a professional adult, working in Sydney and taking classes. I felt so independent, with my own apartment, grocery shopping, money management and much more. I feel like, now that I lived across the world successfully and independently, I can do anything! I would love the chance to do it all over again, but I know I will be going back one day because Sydney is now home for me.

CAPA = forever impressed

CAPA, Legitimately the best experience I have ever had. CAPA was so helpful and planned so many AMAZING fun events for us to do ranging from FOOD CRAWLS for FREE (who doesn't love that) to up close and personal in the Opera House, to PRIVATE Screenings of movies, to hiking trips and getting up close and person with a KOALA! :) How many of you can actually say you have done that in your life :) CAPA Staff is absolutely incredible people and will forever stay in your heart for days, months and years to come. CAPA is interested in not only making sure you have the best experience abroad, but also ensuring your safety and security while you are away from home. They are concerned about that lovely stuff. The people you will also meet are incredible. The internship/classes are amazing and awesome of learning aspects and help you open your horizons to how many amazing things are out in this world. The accommodations are like living on a college campus and make you feel so at home seeing so many other college students around! I would recommend everyone to go take a trip with CAPA! If you want to make the best of your trip, the only people who can do that is CAPA International Study Abroad Program! :)

Interning and living in Sydney!

There are not enough great things I can say about this program and CAPA. My internship with Cancer Council NSW was everything I hoped it would be! CAPA is really great at pairing you with an internship site that caters to your needs and desires. During my stay, CAPA was utilizing Urbanest, a student accommodation, the apartments were spacious and there are "sausage sizzles" every Friday! The only downside is that doing one small load of laundry will cost you about 8.00 AUD.

Sydney is an incredible city that has managed to create a perfect balance between a beach bum's paradise and an urban jungle. I would highly recommend this program for anyone that truly want immerse themselves into the city's culture.

Intern abroad + Study abroad = Worth it

I did the CAPA program Fall 2015. We had a good group of students from many universities and colleges across the US. The program was well put together and organized, and really nothing went wrong. Everyone was professional and helpful both in the US and abroad, which put me at ease being abroad and being in the program. We were in new apartments where each double room had it's own full bathroom which was amazing. The kitchen was big and really nice to cook in (which I did often since eating out is expensive!!). I went with CAPA because of the opportunity to intern abroad in my major. I had a great placement at a physiotherapy office where I learned a lot. My classes were relevant, and there was some work but nothing that got in the way of my experience. Travelling around Australia isn't as easy as it is in Europe, but if you plan ahead and book flights in advance or during sales they can be super cheap. I went to Thailand, New Zealand, and Melboune. The included excursions we had were hiking in the Blue Mountains, a wildlife walkabout park, and going to a Rugby game! Both were really fun and there were no hidden fees in them. I also really appreciated the included transportation pass. You got a card that works on all the public transport and they reload it for you, so you can travel in Sydney and surrounding areas as much as you want! For anyone interested in interning abroad I strongly recommend CAPA Sydney as they matched everyone in relevant internships and check in to make sure everything is going well, and in the end you could get a great recommendation for jobs/grad school. I think the areas of improvement could be covering the cost to get to the apartments from the airport when you arrive, and some kind of food budget. I think they had one in years prior and I wish it was still in existence since then students with scholarships could receive food money included in that. My only other complaint was the cost of laundry, but that was the apartment complex and not under CAPA's control.

A Life Changing Experience

My overall experience in the city of Sydney through the CAPA program was amazing. While abroad I had an internship that CAPA found. This internship was picture perfect for my major. I learned so much and made so many friends that I never thought I would have because of CAPA. The only thing I wish this program did a little better was their touring of the city. While on the trip there were CAPA sponsored trips to the Blue Mountains, a Wildlife park, and even a food crawl around Newtown. Although these were fun, I do wish there were more trips. I found that as the weeks went on I became more and more overwhelmed with what I wanted to do/see. The trip as a whole was incredible and I highly recommend anyone who is looking to study abroad to look at CAPA first.

My Time In Australia

I had the best time of my life in Australia. The moments in which I was able to see national landmarks like the Harbour Bridge, the Sydney Opera House, and the Blue Mountains were beautiful to say the least. I also had the opportunity to try new things while i was there like alligator, emu, and kangaroo as well. However, the greatest experience that I had while I was down in Australia was being able to celebrate my birthday with both supervisors and my friends. I thought it was beyond incredible that people went out of their way to plan a party for a person that they had only met a few prior to that weekend. My 21st birthday weekend and the people I shared it with is something I will honestly never forget!

Interning Abroad

I abosutely loved studying abroad through the CAPA program. I spent 7.5 weeks in Sydney, Australia, and I learned so much. CAPA helped me prepare for the trip, helped me find an amazing internship, and the staff was always there in Sydney if we needed anything. As a group, CAPA took us on a trip to the Blue Mountains and a wildlife park where we got to pet and feed so many kangaroos. Interning abroad really introduced me to the Australian culture. I got to apply the skills I have learned in the classroom to real life situations for a company that was really happy I was there.

The Land of Oz

I absolutely loved the program I went abroad with. My internship was awesome and I learned so much about myself, and what career I wanted to pursue when I graduate in the Spring. If I could do it all again, I would in a heartbeat.

Adventures in Sydney

While abroad I was doing a 6 credit internship. The CAPA staff did an amazing job at matching an internship to my major, interests, and it was even walking distance from my home. I learned so much from doing an internship in another country. The administrations in Sydney were very helpful. They were all quick to respond to emails and made us all aware of any resources we might need. They also kept us up to date on any activities that we might be interested in, in sydney and made sure we didn't forget to do our assignments. I felt very integrated since I did the homestay. I also spent some time volunteering in Sydney, which was an amazing way to meet the locals and learn more about the culture. It was especially easy since there was no language barrier. Although things may have seemed very similar to the states, getting involved was a great way to realize and appreciate the differences.I think this is something I knew but didn't fully realize until I got back, and this is how quickly the 7 weeks would go by. I have studied abroad before I knew it would go by faster than I expected, but for some reason this trip just flew by. There are still things I wish I would have done while I was there that I never got to. I think I could have done some more planning ahead of time to prevent that, but looks like I will just have to go back :)

Roo's, Canoes and Surfer dudes

The Fall of 2015 was a wonderful time in my life. I was able to study abroad with CAPA International Education and participate in a full time internship while taking classes.
Roo's: CAPA organized an outing to the Blue Mountains and a wildlife park so that I could walk around with the local wild life. I made kangaroo and wallaby friends, the emus were not as friendly. It was great to experience nature in and around Sydney.
Canoes: As a health sciences major, having an internship with a Physical Therapist that counted for credit at my home institution was great. As a member of the student intern group I was invited to volunteer and help provide Physio and first aid treatments for athletes in the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic, a 111km canoe race inland west from Sydney.
Surfer dudes: I was able to participate in surf camp and learn how to read waves and handle a board. I was surprised that I could stand up and actually surf. Those surf camp instructors were fun and they helped us all accomplish our goals.
In all, I loved the city, the coastal walks, connecting with a new culture, the professional connections I have made with my supervisor and fellow interns, the ocean and the self discoveries that I had the opportunity to make. I will definitely go back there. It is a place where I found a sense of home.

An Amazing Australian Adventure!

I will forever b grateful for the CAPA Study Abroad program for offering such an amazing experience. I recently completed a fall semester study abroad in the beautiful Sydney, Australia.. I was able to hone my time management skills as I juggled coursework, a part-time internship at the drinks Association in Chatswood, and personal travel. After studying in Australia, I feel I have much more valuable information to add to class discussions in my American courses. I created long lasting ties with my co-workers at my internship site and I took part in amazing travel opportunities to the Gold Coast and Cairns. I was busy and found I had to put i more work than originally anticipated, but nothing worthwhile comes easy. I would study abroad again in a heartbeat!

CAPA Sydney Review

I was worried that I would not get a good placement because of my major but CAPA placed me with an intern site that worked great for me! CAPA has great excursions that are either free or very cheap that help you see more of Sydney and experience all the city has to offer. My ONLY complaint is that living in such close quarters made everyone from my University pass around a nasty cold that would not go away for weeks so at least one person was sick the entire 8 weeks we were there. Other than that the trip and experience was unforgettable!

Great program!

I loved my time in Sydney, and CAPA made it all possible. They were available to help us whenever we needed--it was the perfect amount of structure while still letting us be independent and make our own plans. Highly recommended!

Livin' Down Unda'

This was the experience of a lifetime! I would never change it for the world. The housing was great and if there were problems the staff were helpful in mending them. Having the transportation provided was amazing, it would have been so expensive otherwise! It would have been nice to live closer to campus but I loved the neighborhoods around the apartment and the commute to my internship site and classes was not bad at all. I loved the city and the program, can't wait to go back for more!!

Made me want to learn more about cultures

I got to travel to Cairns, QLD Australia and go to the Great Barrier Reef.

I chose this program so I could get job experience and see the world.

I had a one bedroom apartment with a roommate where each had our own twin bed. The apartment was fully equip with a full kitchen and washer/dryer. Super nice and in good location.

The program offered so much!

My most memorable experience was attending Prince William and Kate's welcome reception to Australia, and shaking hands with them. I was nominated by my internship placement, and was chosen out of only a few hundred people. Never would I had imagined shaking hands with Prince William becoming landing in Australia, but like I said, life's better down unda!

I knew I wanted to go to Australia so besides that I was open to anywhere. I figured a central city would be good, in terms of being able to travel so Sydney was high on my list. The attribute that drew me most to CAPA Sydney was the ability to complete an internship.

I lived in the Meriton Apartments, which I usually describe as a long stay hotel. They had two full baths, a kitchen, washer/dryer in each room, a spacious living room and at least one balcony! There were 4 of us from our program in my room, two of us per bedroom. It was very new, and we had access to a gym and pool that was a short walk away. The staff was always very friendly and very trustworthy when cleaning the rooms! Wonderful place to live.

Sydney Internship Abroad

CAPA help me so much from Interning Abroad in Sydney. I found myself to be more liberating young woman. When you are 15 hours ahead of everyone you know you can’t call you mom and have her fix your problems. You have to figure it out for yourself. I found a new confidence about my writing and journalism career that I am glad I acquired. This experience has taught me to except people for who they are. This trip has made me want try to learn something about all cultures and to continue to travel the world.