Study and Intern with the CAPA London Program
CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image CAPA The Global Education Network Header Image

Study and Intern with the CAPA London Program

A new outlook on life

Before going on this program, I have never been out of the country before. coming into this program was a nerve racking yet exciting experience. I love London and everything the city has to offer. CAPA did a great job of making us feel welcome and allowing us to be independent while also helping us to navigate the city. All in all, I would say that study abroad has been a huge commitment but I think it was definitely worth it. the friends and memories I have made in my short time here are something I never want to forgot. I am excited to share my experiences and memories with you all while I continue on this amazing journey.

CAPA is more than a study abroad program

I studied abroad during Fall 2017 in London through the CAPA program. CAPA supplied me with a fantastic crew of supportive teachers and faculty, who helped me navigate London. I found my own path there and, in a way, discovered who I am. I am forever grateful for the people I met and the time I spent in London. I'm not one to encourage people to do anything. I would encourage anyone who wants to study abroad to do it through CAPA. The supply everything you need to have an amazing time, discover who you are, and learn. If I could go back to London tomorrow, I would. The program gives you three-day weekend, so you can go to other parts of Europe and explore. I went to Greece, Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium and many other countries. In each place I discovered something new, made new friends, and saw places and things I didn't dream I would ever see. CAPA is more than a study abroad program it's a transformative experience that will hold some of your greatest life memories.

Best study abroad experience I could've asked for

CAPA placed me in the most ideal internship position, provided nice student housing in one of the best London neighborhoods, and overall allowed me to take advantage of all that interning abroad offers. During the planning, CAPA ensured I was placed at an internship I was interested in. Over video chat, we went over my resume, discussed my strengths and described where I could see myself working. I was placed at the most ideal public relations agency in the middle of the city. On top of the internship which was three days a week, I was in two classes taught by professors that made everything engaging and interesting. The CAPA center was a place we could use to study and do homework.
In one specific instance, I needed to see a doctor on short notice. The CAPA staff answered my call in the middle of the night and kept in touch making sure I had everything I needed to feel better. They worked very hard to make sure all of the students felt safe.
All in all, CAPA was the perfect study abroad provider and I recommend it to every student looking to go abroad, strengthen their resume and see the world!

A life-changing study abroad experience in London

CAPA offers a good variety of interesting courses for most majors. The coursework is easily manageable and the program faculty understands you are there to study as well as travel and explore. During my study abroad program, I was also doing an internship for academic credit. This was my primary reason for opting for studying abroad. My internship site was a management consulting firm in central London. I had a great learning experience not only because I was working in an international setting, but also because it gave me a chance to explore my career interests!

The CAPA administration is very organized and accommodating in most matters. They were always willing to answer any queries and were dedicated to ensuring all students had a safe and fun time abroad. Students from Clark University have a unique living arrangement because their housing accommodation is with Acorn Housing. This is a fully-furnished flat in Central London. It is located across Russell Square and Park. It is very convenient and safe.

London is a great place to try different cuisines and desserts. I would highly recommend visiting shops for gelato and crepes. My friends and I would usually cook at home. Surprisingly, groceries were very cheap in London. Whenever we were out we would try new restaurants or go to local food markets where you could get very tasty food at reasonable prices. I believe London has a lot to offer as soon as you step foot out of the door. From food and local shops to tourist attractions and entertainment including theater.

I would strongly recommend this program to those interested in gaining work experience relevant to your major while studying abroad!

London - Let the good times roll!

This program was amazing. The classes were very inclusive and informative but also tons of fun! The administration were very helpful and supportive throughout my time abroad. They were also very eager to answer my questions and give me advice.

I loved my flat building. The only thing that was difficult to live with was the lack of air conditioning. But, we were warned about that before our arrival! I also lived about 30 minutes from CAPA which meant on the days I had class, I would have to get up earlier but that was not a problem for me.

When it comes to food, I am a picky eater but I was always able to find some kind of food to eat! Grocery shopping was a challenge at first but once i got in a routine, finding what I liked was easy.

My home institution (TAMUCC) was very supportive and encouraging before and during my time abroad. They helped me find classes that would transfer over for academic credit and they also let me watch a training video that prepared me for situations that could happen while I was abroad.

Overall, I felt safe in my host city. I would recommend getting a purse that hangs across your body so that it is constantly attached to you. Be aware of your surroundings and make sure you keep your personal items close to you, always!

I enjoyed spending money whenever I could on fun activities but I was always aware of my budget. It was not impossible to manage my money, you just need to have a plan! Make sure you don't go over board. You have plenty of time to spend money on souvenirs, focus on enjoying your time abroad first!

My time spent with this program was truly incredible. This program was the perfect fit for me, as was this city! I am so thankful that I was able to meet such wonderful people and take interesting classes in the beautiful city of London.

This experience helped me learn that I am fully capable of being independent. I learned more about who I was as a person and how I handle different situations during my six weeks abroad. I am more confident in myself thanks to this experience.

I wish I would have known that six weeks goes by a lot quicker than you think. Make the most of every second in this incredible city!

Best experience of my life!!

Studying abroad in London, England was one of the best experiences of my life! I learned so much about myself and now have a greater appreciation for other cultures. While in London, I got to experience so much that I never though was possible. My favorite thing was going to Trooping the Colour, which is the Queens birthday celebration that takes place in June. I got to see the entire royal family and got to be apart of one of the biggest celebrations in London.
CAPA The Global Education Network was very helpful throughout my journey, both before and during studying abroad. My housing, class info and day trips were all organized through Capa. The Capa center was located in Kensington, which is one of the boroughs of London and it could not have been placed in a better location. My accommodations were right near Waterloo Station and everything was only a tube ride away. CAPA always kept its students well informed with any issue that arose in London and always checked in to make sure everyone was safe. I couldn't have asked for a better program provider for my first trip overseas.

Best opportunity of my life!

It was the best opportunity of my life and I would do it over again in a heartbeat if I could. I learned more things about myself professional and personally within 6 weeks more than I have at my 2 years in college. I found a passion in the work that I did at my internship and I found such a love for cities and for traveling. CAPA was the perfect program for me. The length was just enough for me to get acclimated into London but also I was able to leave before I got too home sick. The costs were not too expensive and it offered me everything I wanted in a study abroad experience (to live in an apartment and be with other Americans, to have an internship, and to take classes). I took one class over the course of 6 weeks and it was SO AMAZING. It was called "Analyzing Global London" and I can't imagine living in the city without having taken this class. I learned so much about different neighborhoods and explored and took field trips to parts of London I wouldn't have visited otherwise. I also learned so much about the history of the place and analyzed it more than the normal Londoner so I feel like I got to understand the environment a lot better.

The time of my life

Choosing to study abroad with CAPA was the best decision of my life. I had the opportunity to be fully immersed in the incredible city of London. Through the CAPA program, I was able to live and work in a global city, which left me with so many wonderful memories that I will cherish forever. My time abroad in Europe was such a rewarding and life changing experience. Being able to live and work in a foreign global city taught me so much about different cultures, and taught me a lot about myself as well. My time in London allowed me to grow infinitely as a person, as I gained a new found sense of independence and appreciation for the world. Going abroad made me more aware of how the world operates on a larger scale. I was exposed to an entirely different culture and way of life, which forced me to adapt and grow into a more well- rounded version of myself. Being able to navigate myself around a new city and work with a global company gave me a sense of purpose and shaped me to be open to new possibilities and opportunities. In my opinion, there is no better way to find and create oneself than to immerse oneself in an entirely new and foreign culture. I am forever grateful for the life changing experience that CAPA provided me with.

The best experience of my entire life

I studied in London this past summer and it was truly the most amazing and best experience of my entire life. I got to experience the professional side of things during my internship at a travel PR agency and it was really fascinating to be in a British work environment because it was so different from a typical American one. My educational foundation grew infinitely from this program. The British professor we had was literally my favorite professor of all time. He was extremely knowledgeable about everything London and most of our classes were field trips so I feel like I truly got to immerse myself in the culture and learn about the city from experience and interaction. I also got to participate in several weekend trips to different countries which was an incredible experience in itself. The weekends in London were also incredible with the diverse bars and countless events going on. I would highly recommend this program to someone who is eager to immerse themselves in a truly wonderful culture that is made up of an extremely diverse group of people and loves adventure.

Nina's growth

I had a great experience during my time in London. I learned a lot about myself had I not went to London and took course and a internship. I was able to discover things about myself and adapt to a different environment on my own.

A life-changing experience

Studying abroad with CAPA was, truly, one of the best decisions I have ever made. When I began the process of finding a program to study in London with, there were a few things that I know I wanted: To live in a flat in the city, to be able to travel, and to have an internship. I found that CAPA would be able to give me all of these choices, and I made my decision.
My time abroad was the first time out of the United States, and I knew it would take some time to adjust. CAPA made it easy for all of its students, by offering tours of the neighborhoods we lived in– including the best grocery stores and Tube stations to take– guided explorations around the city, and by offering small group meetings and orientations at CAPA, to make sure everyone felt comfortable, and knew they had people they could go to if they needed help.
I was very busy during my weeks abroad– between classes in the morning, going to my TV station internship in the afternoon, and then having to cook my meals, do my laundry, homework, and find some time to relax– but it was incredibly worth it. The education I received from my classes, and internship, were one of a kind, and often used London as a classroom setting, which was incredible.
Even though I was busy, I made sure to take time each day to explore. Some days I would just get on the Tube and get off a station I didn’t know and, safely, see what I would find. Around CAPA’s campus are tons of museums (which are free), parks, and other things to explore. I never spent an entire day in my flat– London had too much to offer.
Another great thing about being in London is that it is cheap and easy to travel to other places in Europe. During the three and a half months I was there, I got to travel to Paris, Dublin and Galway, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Florence, and Edinburgh. I experienced things I had dreamed of, as well as moments I had never even thought possible. I met family members who lived in Ireland, sang on the steps of Sacré Coeur in Paris, saw every famous landmark, tasted the most amazing food, and danced every night away. Sure, sometimes we got lost, sometimes it was hard not speaking the native language– but we figured it out, and it made every experience more memorable and educational.
I know the friends I made while I was abroad will stay friends forever– we experienced so much together, and share an incredible bond over this amazing chapter in each of our lives.
To anyone who is considering studying abroad: I could not recommend it enough. It changes the way you see the world and people around you, and the way you live your life. Not every day will be easy, but it is worth it, and you will fly home with memories and friends that will last a lifetime– and an outlook that will positively affect every day to come.

CAPA kept it simple, cheap and fun!

My school had a lot of different options when it came to studying abroad, but choosing an external program to travel with was definitely the best option for me. Not only did I get to live and study abroad, but I got to extend my friend circle to people outside of my home university. Studying with CAPA meant that I had classes with students from all over the US, and interacted with staff from all over the world, not just London!
The perks for studying with CAPA were also incredible. We were automatically included in the student union at Imperial College London, which meant we could join any of their clubs, sports, or activities. We also received Oyster cards with tuition, which meant that I never had to worry about having the money to travel in / around London.
The staff was extremely supportive the entire time I was there, which allowed me to study, travel, and keep my GPA up! Most (if not all) professors took us out and around the city every single week, which helped make sure we weren't just being bogged down into a classroom. I visited almost every major museum, saw three plays, and toured Mosques and Churches during class! These were all things I would've done in my free time and on my own bill anyway, but with CAPA I didn't have to!
CAPA was also extremely supportive in helping me schedule classes beforehand, making sure there was no wasted time / credits earned.
I adored my CAPA experience, and I encourage anybody who wants to study abroad on a budget to check them out!

The most enriching, educational, and fun experience

My experience in London with CAPA was better than I ever could’ve dreamed of. I learned how to live in a global city, made incredible memories and friends, interned with a transnational company, and developed personally and professionally. Study abroad as a whole is an enriching, once-in-a-lifetime experience that needs to be taken advantage of.

I didn’t expect to gain so many skills, technical work-related ones and softer ones, but I did and I will take them with me for the rest of my life. I got relevant international work experience in my desired field while also becoming more confident, independent, mature, and able to work with people from diverse backgrounds.

CAPA was the perfect fit for me, largely in part due to the internship component and their emphasis on personal and professional development. I knew ahead of time that I want to pursue an internationally-focused career, so doing an international internship was a great starting point for me. Not only did CAPA place me at a site that perfectly aligned with my career goals, but they taught me how to articulate my study abroad and work experience in a professional, in-depth way, which is more difficult to do than I initially thought.

CAPA provided a lot of great inclusions, including an Oyster Card for the tube and bus so I didn’t have to pay for public transport, a London Pass which granted me free entry to 5 attractions (including the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey), field trips around the city and to Brighton, My Global Education events to teach me more about the dynamic components that make up a global city, and discounts on cultural events such as a Rugby Game at Wembley Stadium and West End plays.

I would highly recommend the CAPA London program to everyone!

The Biggest Leap of My Life

Studying abroad with CAPA in London for the Fall 2015 semester gave me the most amazing educational experience I could wish for. I knew since middle school that that is where I wanted to study abroad and when, and CAPA made all that possible for me. I chose CAPA because my home school scholarships went towards my abroad tuition and I liked the variety in the classes offered. As a Communications major, I got to tour the BBC with British Broadcasting Today, which was one of the coolest things that I did while in London. I also had the opportunity to take an art history course, where we saw the art in-person every other week at galleries like the Tate, Tate Modern, National Gallery and the Royal Academy of Arts. You just can't get that kind of experience in central Maryland.

With CAPA, you have the option to study abroad and intern; I chose to only take classes. For anyone who does an internship that is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience if you want it, but I decided that I was studying abroad to actually study abroad. So, I wanted more room to take the classes I wanted and have even more time to see all of London that I could. My friends who participated in internships also had a great time and enjoyed their work, but I definitely saw more of London and visited more cities than they were able to. But, that is just what worked for me, everyone's looking to get different experiences out of their time abroad.

I was really nervous to spend an entire semester in London. It was my first time out of the States and I was the only one from my school at that location. But, everyone at CAPA is so friendly that I was comfortable sooner than I ever expected to be and I felt at-home within days. There was nobody in their staff that I did not like and I felt close enough to them that I could ask anything without being judged for having silly questions.

To be blunt, if you want to study with other London students, then this is not the program for you. You will be in CAPA classrooms with other American CAPA students, not enrolled in a local London school. But, if you want the chance to meet other students from around the States while living in London and learning about British culture, then CAPA is definitely a great choice. Besides my travels and shopping I paid very little more to live in London for a semester than I pay to go to school in MD. I made friends from other states that I otherwise would have had no way of meeting. I miss CAPA itself almost as much as I miss the UK and I am glad that it was pretty much my only option through my school because it was a much more exciting experience than I could have ever hoped for.

An AMAZING Experience!

My study abroad experience with CAPA London was better than I ever anticipated. You hear of a lot of people who go abroad and say it was a "life-changing experience." And this really is the case for me. The CAPA staff, in London and Boston, were extremely helpful each step of the way--from the application to commencement. I absolutely loved living in London. The flats in Shepherd's Bush were in a good part of town and Tube stations were easily accessible. They also pay for your transportation within London which is really helpful. I took Advertising in Britain and British Broadcasting Today and found both of the classes to be beneficial. We could actually go on field trips in the city and see concepts we had been learning in class. My favorite was visiting the BBC. They also have great connections within the city for internships. For example, I am a tv broadcast major and interned at a local tv station that broadcasts charities. However, probably the best part of CAPA for me was the cultural activities and My Education Events. These were planned events or excursions led by CAPA. For instance, I saw Les Miserables, went to a rugby match, took walking tours of various neighborhoods, and took a boat cruise down the Thames. After 3 months of living in London, I didn't want to leave and I wouldn't trade my experience with CAPA for anything.

London Calling...CAPA is Waiting For You!

CAPA provided me with the necessary resources to thrive during my time in London. The first few weeks they really help you settle in and feel welcome. I loved how they acknowledged how new this all was to us and would help us every step of the way. They had an amazing way of doing this because it somehow still amounted to be an insane learning and growing experience on our own as well. The CAPA staff made sure we were informed on all levels of travel - how to save money, which boroughs to hit during the weekend, the markets to go to, etc. The trips to markets and things like that involved educational learning as well. So now only did we hit the major sight seeing spots for that perfect photo-op and journey entry, but we learned so much about the history. There are certain places I would not have gone if CAPA had not helped plan them. Some of these events were: Dinner in an authentic curry restaurant on Brick Lane (famous Indian food - so good), Wimbledon, Greenwich (class trip), and Stonehenge & Bath, about a two hour bus ride out of London. No doubt CAPA wanted us to make the best of our experience and that is exactly what they did for me. If I were to study abroad again, I would go through CAPA for sure!

Living in London

Looking back, I'm happy I chose to do the CAPA London program. The structure of the program is designed to let each student have their own unique experience. The staff are always there to help when you need them, and do their best to ensure arrival is as easy as possible. Travel can be intimidating, especially for people on their first trip, and CAPA does a great job helping you cope. Overall, there wasn't much about the program I didn't like. Their classes are designed to help you experience the culture while focusing on their own domain. My professors were also willing to help when necessary, whether it be with academic problems or just a few tips along the way. I was really satisfied with my living arrangements and the way everything was set up and run. The Oysters card that are provided are one of the most powerful tools they give you, because the tube runs almost everywhere. Keep an eye out on closures though, because it does happen sporadically at times which is out of your control. Always be willing to try something you never thought you would, whether it be a type of food, an experience or a setting you wouldn't normally visit. Sometimes, things don't turn out as you imagine them to be but can give even better results.

Best decision I've made

At first when I was looking through study abroad programs with my school I wasn't too picky. To be honest I chose CAPA solely because it fit with where I wanted to go and was within my price range. However, I couldn't have been happier with my choice. From the very beginning steps to when I was leaving their staff were more the happy to help with any questions and concerns I had, no matter how silly I thought they were. CAPA had an amazing balance between in class learning as well as out of class "field trips" which made the learning hands on. I had the amazing opportunity to be taught be some awesome professors. There was also a great amount of side-trip availability like to Stonehenge and Bath. I will take those memories with me forever.

I grew so much not only as a student but as a citizen of the world. CAPA gave me the spark that ignited my wish to see the world and understand it on a deeper level. I became much more independent and more confident in myself and my abilities.

I would 100% recommend CAPA International Education to anyone even considering studying abroad in any of their locations but especially if they want to study in London.

8 Weeks, 6 Credits, Endless Adventure

Experiences Living and Interning Abroad

The most exciting aspect of my experience abroad was the opportunity to meet and work with professionals in another country. Being taken seriously as an undergraduate student and becoming a part of a successful, hard working team with people from all around the world made for an incredible semester. I learned from others interested in similar careers as myself and worked alongside passionate individuals.
Additionally, moving to a foreign city and living in a flat in the middle of London was a huge transition that gave me skills and confidence in many other areas of life. Being able to adapt to the demands and challenges of life in a foreign city allowed me to learn a new way of living, from utilizing public transportation, to understanding how to budget my money accordingly on food and other necessities. I was able to meet these challenges and learn that I could thrive in another city, an exciting and liberating realization.
Furthermore, I would tell prospective students about the opportunities that they could take advantage of during the CAPA spring break. Learning to travel and accept the challenges and relish in the serendipitous events that accompany any trip taught me a new way to experience life and an appreciation for different cultures and countries of the world. Living, studying, and working abroad in London has allowed me to understand the city in ways that I would not be able to if I had merely been there for a short visit.

Couldn't Have Asked For More

CAPA has meant everything to me in the past year. Studying abroad in London had been a huge dream of mine since high school. CAPA was located in a great part of London, had amazing teachers, and an awesome administrative group. People who worked at CAPA were so quick to help with any problem. The people in my program have changed my life.

CAPA's Internship Program was exactly what I had hoped for. The internship team helped me in deciding what office would be suitable for me. When I was overwhelmed with my internship, the team was so helpful in pushing me and letting me know how much confidence they had in me.

CAPA had great activities that let us see parts of London that we would've missed completely. Each activity was fun and let us meet different people in our program.

London itself is an amazing city. The people are inspirational, the city is vibrant, and the night life is so fun. I felt so safe in London, and the places in which CAPA had its students live were so much fun to be in. I definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants an unforgettable year.

Best Semester of my College Life

My study abroad experience with CAPA was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The staff was very friendly and made us feel like we were at home. We could talk to them about anything and ask them for information such as events in London, what places to explore, that is the best way to travel around Europe, etc. and it was really nice knowing that they would be there for us to provide support. The professors were also great. They all hailed from different London universities and their unconventional teaching methods made my learning experience very pleasant. Rather than have you read long textbook chapters, they encourage you to do research of world occurrences to be able to apply it to the class and give you an idea of how to apply what you learned in class with real life. Living arrangements were great, we were centrally located and within walking distance of beautiful places in London such as Covent Garden and Oxford Street. My roommates were the best and are friends that I will cherish and keep for a very long time. London itself is also a great city, and once you spend some time there you will begin to understand why it is one of the greatest cities in the world. With its cultural variety and mix between suburbia and a big city, you will never be bored in London as there is always something to do or see and somewhere to be. I am very pleased and can very safely say that it was the best semester of my college life.

CAPA is the Total Package!

WHY CAPA?:

I am so glad I chose to study abroad with CAPA. I did a lot of research on various study abroad programs, but CAPA stood out the most and did not disappoint me! I wanted a program that incorporated a lot of in country support and activities. I was worried about doing an exchange and being by myself, but also was worried about getting involved in a program that would hand hold too much. CAPA was the perfect balance.

I also loved that CAPA provided lots of options so that I could really make my study abroad experience my own. You have so many choices to customize your semester. You can live in a homestay or flat, do an internship or service learning course, choose from a wide variety of classes, and/or participate in MyEducation and cultural activities.

HOMESTAY:

For me, the cultural immersion came from living in a homestay. Living with British locals was a great experience. My host parents were amazing and I loved getting the chance to form a relationship with them (plus their home cooking was delicious)! You really do save a lot of money in the homestay as well, since breakfast and dinner are provided every day. You also will get your own bedroom. I’d say don’t be scared to try the homestay. If you’re thinking you might like to do it—do it!

CLASSES:

I took 12 credits/4 classes at the CAPA Centre. I really enjoyed them all and would say they were about the same rigor as I was used to at ASU. My professors were all British and extremely knowledgeable in their fields. The classes ended up being one of the best parts of my study abroad experience.

Recommendations:
20th & 21st Century Art
Theatricality
Writing the City: London
Understanding Modern Britain

OVERALL:

While in London, I really grew as a person. I overcame a lot of my anxiety, which was huge for me. I gained the courage to step out of my comfort zone and leave home. I have learned I have a passion for photography and art. I have also become a better listener, an active learner, more independent, more assertive, have learned to trust my instincts, and become more focused on my career goals and what I want to pursue in life. In 10 years, I’ll probably be able to look back and find even more areas of growth that have presented themselves because of my time in London. I know I will never forget my time in the UK and all it’s done for me. I also know that for me, it’s been just the beginning of a lifetime of growing and changing through traveling abroad.

Living in London

London is a fantastic city to live in and CAPA is a great program through which to study and intern there. Through the CAPA program, I was able to arrange classes as well as an internship for my semester abroad, which allowed me to be productive academically while also developing my professional skill-set. The central location of the program center is also an advantage in terms of getting to know the city.

London has become my second home.

Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I could have ever done. I learned so much about London culture, about myself, and the rest of the world. I was able to step out of my comfort zone, try new things, explore, make friends, and discover what London has to offer. CAPA did a great job in providing the necessary resources for me to learn about London and take advantage of such a diverse city, and CAPA also did a great job in giving us opportunities to explore London and get a feel for what it is like to be British. I love where my flat was, in Camden, and also where classes were in Kensington. I miss London each and every day.