[Pre-med and MD] Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Spain
A woman in Greece A woman in Greece

[Pre-med and MD] Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Spain

Shadow doctors in Barcelona

At first, I was a little skeptical of the whole experience since I hadn't heard of it before, and it wasn't affiliated directly with a well known university. However, Atlantis completely exceeded my expectations from the preparation before the trip, and relations during and after the trip. The staff at Atlantis is AMAZING. The fellowship was very meaningful also. You shadow doctors four days a week, for up to about 20 hours. Also, you are rotated in different specialities each week, therefore, you learn so much in a short amount of time. There is an excursion each week and it really helps get you acclimated to the culture and city that you are living in. I absolutely fell in love with Barcelona in the short 3 weeks that I spent there. For Pre-Health students, I know our time is very valuable, and this is definitely worth the time and money. I'm pre-PA and found this experience just as meaningful as the pre-med students. If you are even slightly considering Atlantis, choose this fellowship! You will not regret it.

Medical Fellowship in Alcazar de San Juan, Spain

On this trip to Spain to shadow medical doctors in a hospital, I gained a sense of self-awareness as well as cultural appreciation. I was humbled and forced to recognize that my view of the world and health and healthcare is only as wide as my experiences. It was easy for me, at first, to compare what I was used to seeing and doing in the United States to what was done in Spain, but it didn’t help anyone to compare what was in Spain to what I was used to. I decided to pay attention to how things were done in Spain and to learn about their culture and way of life. I learned not to compare and judge, but to investigate and appreciate the culture I was in, and by doing so, I gained a tolerance of difference as well. I moved around through the specialties and was able to see so much more than expected. I shadowed in neurology, gynecology and obstetrics, pediatrics, and hospital pharmacy. Although I am not interested in pursuing pharmacy as a future career, it was interesting to see how a hospital pharmacy operates. Additionally, within the pharmacy department, I spent a few days learning how the pharmacists research new drugs that are not yet in their system and determine if they are okay to be prescribed by the doctors in the hospital. I got one-on-one experience with the pharmacist learning how to use a medical database and properly perform my own research on any medical related subject through the PubMed database. This experience itself was extremely valuable to me and is something that I will likely use in my future, both in school and my work in the medical field.

The shadowing experience at the hospital was extremely impactful. I was able to see multiple surgeries and operations, simple check-ups and consultations, as well as the research and investigating done by the doctors like examining MRIs or ultra-sound data. The information that I learned from the doctors and everything that I was able to watch and see in the hospital has helped me to better understand patient-doctor interactions, discussing medical professions, discussing the pros and cons of government-run healthcare, describing how a hospital works, and aided me in determining the areas of medicine I am, and am not, interested in pursuing. Every doctor there impacted me in one way or another, and a handful made lasting impressions. I am thankful for all of the doctors that took the time to stop what they were doing and explain to me exactly what they were doing and why it was being done. This made my shadowing experience worthwhile and helped me to better understand and gain more knowledge in that area.

The Atlantis Project gave me exposure to many themes associated with modern medicine. Compassion, global health, the importance of a patient-centered workplace... all of these concepts can be directly experienced while on hospital rounds; the lessons learned about such topics are directly applicable to questions I may be asked throughout the medical school application process. The social components I encountered in the hospital in Alcázar de San Juan have led to me embracing this medical journey. Moreover, the chance to shadow physicians of multiple specialties, from multiple nationalities, and operating under a different healthcare system served to truly enhance my view of medicine. I have truly been “forever touched” by this experience, the people I have met, the knowledge that I have gained, and places I have seen and I will carry this with me throughout my entire life. This was an experience of a lifetime.

Unforgettable memories

Atlantis gave me the opportunity to solidify what I want for my future along with giving me an experience that I would never forget. Being engulfed into a different culture and living a completely different style of life changed my daily schedule completely. The entire program opens up your thinking to a much larger scale while enabling yourself to see things from a new perspective. The people and doctors of Santiago de Compostela were welcoming and accepting of myself and the other fellows, allowing us a taste of what life is like in Spain.

Shadowing abroad In Barcelona

This program was an amazing opportunity. Not only did I get several shadowing hours a week, but I learned so much about the culture of Barcelona in general. I met new people from different areas and because we are all going into similar fields, we got along very well. After every shift at the hospital I returned with pages of notes. Being able to visit patients along side the doctor was such a unique learning experience. I shadowed several doctors all in different areas of the hospital, so I saw many variations of cases. The doctors were very patient with all of the students and explained their patient's history and how they diagnosed and treated them.

Unforgettable memories

I want to start off by saying this program was a wonderful experience for anyone who wants to be in the healthcare system. This program was not only an amazing way to travel abroad but also experience time in a hospital. The time between shadowing a doctor or doctors in the hospital and free time to explore the location given was well balanced. The weekly rotations between each department in the hospital was a great way to experience as much as a student could. The doctors at the hospital were very accommodating to students who showed interest in entering the healthcare system. The weekends were for our free time and it was spent on traveling to other parts of Spain — it is very doable! The weekly excursions to the locations around my town of Teruel were impressive because the group went to the beach in Sagunto, made Spanish dishes in a cooking class, hiked to a famous lake in the region, and walked around the beautiful town of Albarracin. Overall, my trip back to Spain was an incredible experience and I hope to back in Spain soon.

Experience a new culture while shadowing in a hospital setting!

I highly recommend this program! The Atlantis Project fellowships allow pre-med students the opportunity to experience a new culture both inside and outside of a hospital setting. I experienced more than I could have ever asked for or expected. I spent four weeks in Spain. The hospital staff made me feel welcome and accommodated me in every way they could. I was surprised at how eager the doctors were to show me and teach me. The hospital staff have a passion for medicine and a passion for teaching. Although I could not participate and strictly observed, there were times I felt more like a medical student because of the level of education I received during my four weeks in the hospital. I observed in four different departments that rotated weekly and observed both surgical procedures and patient consultations that were culturally relevant and specific. I do not speak or understand Spanish at all and the language barrier was not an issue. There were a few instances where I was observing a doctor who did not understand or speak English very well and the doctor was still very eager to help me understand as much as I could - often finding unconventional ways to communicate, or finding a doctor that could better communicate. The Atlantis Project was the most enriching fellowship I have experienced to date. This is an experience that emphasizes healthcare education. Observing healthcare in a system that is foreign to your own is an effective way to learn.

The Atlantis Project is relatively new and may not be as established as some of the programs that are more known in the United States - DON’T LET THAT STOP YOU. This program is worth every penny and then some!

If you have questions and are interested in the program, email me at chabot.rachael@gmail.com for more detail or an application.

An unforgettable winter experience fit for any pre-med

I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Guadalajara, Spain this past winter vacation. Traveling abroad as a pre-med is always difficult, because most study abroad programs do not have classes that pertain to the typical pre-med's classes. However, the Atlantis Project was an opportunity for me to justify traveling abroad by getting the chance to shadow various doctors in multiple specialties. The Atlantis Project also offers programs all throughout the year (Winter, Spring Break, Summer). This is great for someone like me, who has limited availability to take an international trip.

While in Guadalajara, we spent our mornings shadowing physicians of all departments of the hospital. I had the opportunity to shadow in maxillofacial, obstetrics, and general surgery. I was shadowed during multiple surgeries, procedures, and got to see my first natural birth. The physicians at the hospital were so kind and welcoming, even despite the slight language barrier. Most physicians spoke in English with me, and when the physician knew minimal English, I had the chance to practice my Spanish. Our shadowing experience was very well coordinated and helped make our short time in Spain worth-while.

Aside from the numerous hours spent shadowing, I had the chance to experience the culture by exploring the town we were staying in. I met some locals, ate delicious food, and visited some of the most beautiful historical sites. On most nights, the Atlantis Project provided us with dinner at a local restaurant. Each dinner was very well-planned with multiple courses. The food was definitely one of my favorite parts of the trip.

During our program, we also traveled to Toledo, Spain to take a tour of the city. I got to see some of the most beautiful landmarks and try some of the best pastries in Spain. The only thing I would change about my Atlantis Project experience is the length. If I could do it over again, I would have opted for a longer program, because I truly enjoyed it and wanted to spend more time in the beautiful country of Spain. If you are a pre-med student with an interest in traveling while at the same time developing your knowledge about medicine and international healthcare, the Atlantis Project is the program for you!

Best Summer Experience!

This past summer I was accepted to the Atlantis Project and I travelled to Spain and shadowed in Toledo for three weeks and the experience was unforgettable! From the moment the plane touched down until it was time to pack our bags and get to the airport, the AP staff was there helping us out at every step of the way. They were all super helpful and they wanted us to get the most of the program.

I personally shadowed three different specialties over the three weeks (ICU, Pulmonology, and Oncology) and I even had the opportunity to observe two different surgeries (defibrillator placement, cataracts removal). Every day in the hospitals offered something new and interesting!

A typical day was waking up at 7am, breakfast, and arriving at the hospital by bus or on foot for 8am. Then we spent the day shadowing our individual department from 8am-2pm. After that the day was ours to do whatever we saw fit whether it was shopping, eating, exercising, sightseeing, etc. Breakfast was always complimentary in the hostel and four dinners a week were provided for by the AP. The weekends were spent on excursions where we went kayaking, hiking, and exploring some ancient cities and their monuments. The nightlife was also fantastic and it was a great way to relax after a long week at work! I also quickly became great friends with the other students in my group and to this day I still reminisce on all of the memories and good times we've had - reunions to come!

If you have a free summer, want to learn more about medicine, and have a itch to travel I strongly suggest you apply! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Time of your life

The Atlantis Project isn't just a program that allows you to choose from an immense amount of specialties to shadow, but it also gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture of Spain. The Atlantis Project took us to places we would've never found on our own and most importantly, our safety was always a priority. The coordinators were also extremely professional and helpful! They showed us Spain like no other study abroad program would while still focusing on the medicine and our future careers as health professionals. I had the chance to network with two medical students, one going to Stanford and the other going to Harvard. They gave us a lot of helpful advice and we even got a chance to meet with them one-on-one. I've completed a substantial amount of programs, but this program is by far my favorite. I encourage everyone to apply!

Atlantis Project review

The 24 days I spent in Spain as a part of the Atlantis Project were hands down the best days of my life. You are surrounded with people you become so close with, so fast because you share common interests, aspirations, and drives. There is a perfect balance of shadowing in the hospital and exploring Spain. You will find yourself building lasting relationships and falling in love with the medical field at the same time. The Atlantis Project gives you an in depth look into medicine and a variety of different specialties, that you just can't find here in the U.S. The Atlantis Project has truly been a life changing experience and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Almansa, Spain experience

Atlantis Project provides a completely unique experience that makes study abroad worth it for pre-health majors. Most of us don’t have time to go abroad because they don’t offer the kinds of classes we need as part of the programs. Atlantis Project allows us to go abroad and get the experience a study abroad program gives while still helping us with our application for professional school. The program gives you ample opportunity to learn at the hospital and to learn about the culture outside of the hostpital. I was able to shadow a variety of physicians, that I was allowed to help pick, and see an amazing assortment of procedures and techniques. At the same time I also learned about Spanish culture and saw amazing things while there. Atlantis Project was the best month of my life and I wouldn’t change a minute of it.

Inspiring winter break experience

The Atlantis Project gives you the unique ability to completely enrich yourself in another country, from working there to volunteering there to experiencing the culture. Living in Cuenca for 3 weeks over the winter was an enriching edition to my college experience that I highly recommend to any pre-med student. Not only was I able to shadow physician from different specialties, I was able to meet patients and shadow in surgeries. I was a member of the ICU team for a few days, learning patient’s stories, an observer in nearly a dozen surgeries, ranging from cardiac to hernia repair, and interact on ER consults. Not only did these physicians challenge me to apply my own personal knowledge, asking me questions throughout the case(s), but they allowed me to build strong relationships with staff as they explained their journey through medical school and compared international medicine to that in America. I came back to the US with a great understanding of what it meant to be a global doctor, and a new look on different specialties I had not previously interacted with.

Additionally, this program allowed me to completely emerge myself in Spanish culture. From living with a host family in a hostel building to experiencing the vibrant holiday traditions, we were welcomed and embraced. The family welcomed us into their lives, inviting us to their family restaurant and flamenco lessons. More so, we were able to experience New Years Eve within Barcelona, and Three Kings Day, a traditional Spanish holiday, and learn more about the culture abroad. We were allowed to interact with locals and hear their stories as we were recommended to different restaurants, monuments and experiences.

Not only did this experience give me an international experience to share with everyone, this experience taught me so much about what medicine in a global mindset. Additionally, I made friends who I still talk to regularly as we encourage and support each other’s premedical careers.

Winning In Faial Island, Portugal

The unique opportunity of traveling to Faial Island was a revelation of gigantic proportions. During this fellowship I gained clarity on how much the teaching aspect of medicine influences my desire to become a physician. The physicians and hospital personnel helped me to realize how much fun I can have as they taught the various intricacies of their individual crafts. Their impact has instilled a greater dedication in me to gain as much knowledge as possible while keeping it “simple,” so that anyone, regardless of education, language barriers, or socioeconomic backgrounds, will be able to understand the content. Although a language disparity existed, the ability for the Portuguese to simplify complex concepts was impressive.

Best Shadowing Opportunity I Have Ever Had

The Atlantis Project has been the best opportunity I have had for shadowing. I was placed in different departments such as neurology, psychiatry, thoracic surgery, internal medicine and gastroenterology. In these departments I shadowed amazing doctors who showed me so much, I was able to see things first hand and feel like a resident by their side. I wish i could do it again, Spain was amazing! on the weekends we got to travel wherever we wanted to, and they had amazing activities for us to experience aside from shadowing. The coordinators expect you to be very mature and devoted, so they do not require you to go to the hospital to shadow, but you definitely do not want to miss anything! Best experience ever.

Sebastian Garcia (Albacete, Spain Intern 2015)

Life Changing Experience with the Atlantis Project

During the summer following my freshman year of college, I had the opportunity to be a fellow for the Atlantis Project. This life-changing experience taught me many valuable things. From the actual shadowing hospital program to the leisure excursions, the Atlantis Project planned and executed a flawless experience. The biggest thing that I got out of this fellowship was meeting new and amazing people and experiencing healthcare outside of my own country.

what an enriched experience

The Atlantis project not only allowed me and my fellows to shadow and experience a doctors/surgeons daily life was but it also gave us a sense of direction into what we all are looking for and what we are not looking for. Through out the program I was able to pinpoint where in the medical field I would like to follow up on and where I was sure not to. I learned so much and was actually able put my knowledge to use and see how much I actually know. It was overall an amazing experience and I recommend everyone who is interested in the medical field, to go do this program.

Toledo Shadowing

I really enjoyed traveling to Toledo, Spain for this hospital shadowing and cultural immersion program. I was able to spend three weeks in different hospital departments. These included pharmacy, orthopedics, pulmonology, neurosurgery, intervention radiology and intensive care. This clinical exposure allowed me to see a larger variety of specialties than I had at home. My time in Spain gave me a glimpse at public healthcare and a holistic perspective of medicine. This collaboration for the greater good focused on highlighting the integration of unique skill sets and teamwork aspect of medicine. I enjoyed getting to learn from the different healthcare professionals and my fellow students. Overall, the experience provided me with new and diverse perspectives.

It was reassuring to be surrounded by students that all had health interests in common. I made great friends during my stay. The program leaders worked hard to accommodate us all and considered our feedback to make changes for the better!

Pre-Medical Internship in Spain

My time spent shadowing with the Atlantis Project was one of the most beneficial experiences I’ve had as a pre-medical student. I spent an incredible 6 weeks in Spain, during which I was able to see 2 different specialties a week, and each location offered different options. (Neurosurgery was by far my favorite to see!!) The programs were so easy to jump into and provided weekly group excursions to get to see as much of the culture as possible. The differences between European healthcare and what we have in the United States is so very different that I feel like experiencing it is the best way to understand it. The opportunity this program provides is such an amazing resource for students who want to see a broad range of specialties, something that is hard to do in hospitals here. The living situations were very good, the hotels we were in were nice, air conditioned, and either situated in a place that is easy to come and go or had public transportation nearby that was easy to navigate after a few days. This program puts you out of your comfort zone and encourages you to learn and adjust to life in a foreign place, a trait that will help anyone later on! I made the most amazing friends and I would recommend this program to everyone interested in the medical field!

A Wonderful Experience

Through the Atlantis Project, I was able to explore Spain and get to know its rich culture. I spent four weeks in Guadalajara, Spain and two in Albacete, Spain through the Atlantis Project. During my time there, I saw surgeries on people injured from bull runs and the doctor-patient interactions. By going to Spain through the Atlantis Project, I was able to shadow doctors from a variety of different fields and explore what the daily life of a surgeon or doctor in Spain.
The Atlantis Project gave me the ability to see and explore. From being a part of the Atlantis Project, as cliché'd as it sounds, it expanded my worldview and helped me grow in more ways that I could have ever imagined. I learned what it's like to be in a culture different from your own and the ins and outs of Spanish culture. I'm thoroughly grateful that I did the Atlantis Project.

Atlantis Project Shadowing Abroad

The abroad experience with the atlantis project provided me with a cultural immersion of the spanish culture, as my program was in the small town of Toledo and it also allowed me to explore many other cities of Spain. The best part of the experience was the shadowing experience. I was able to shadow 6 different specialties of doctors in just three weeks. Others in my program traveled between different cities of Spain and Portugal, which I would have loved to do if given the time. The excursions that the program provided were fun but there was also no pressure to not go on them if you weren't feeling up to it. Another plus is that the administration took our feedback into consideration during the trip. We had some difficulties with the temperature in our rooms, and we ended up being moved to an air conditioned hotel. Overall this program was great and I would love to do it again.

Pre-med European Internship

This experience was one of the most influential for me both personally and in my career endeavors. I traveled out of the country for the first time and was able to experience a new and fascinating culture. The shadowing opportunities were such an inspiring chance that in this past semester when I really struggled, they were my reason to keep pushing. It gave me sight of the end goal and reminded me why I want to pursue my career. With opportunities that immersed me in the medical field, I was able to compare U.S. healthcare to European healthcare. I was also able to experience adventures like swimming with dolphins, cliff jumping, and observing the bull fights. Nothing can compare to an experience overseas for both personal development and career development. Overall, this internship pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to gain a new independent outlook on life.

Atlantis Project in the Azores

My experience with the Atlantis Project was one of the most enriching experiences in a hospital and clinical environment I ever had. In the shorter term that I was able to experience being alongside healthcare professionals, I was able to visit multiple departments in the hospital, witness a cesarean section, multiple realignment surgeries, pediatric care, and much more. The doctors and nurses I shadowed and spent time with were not only some of the most friendly staff I met, but they also were very knowledgeable and caring about their patients and the students that shadowed in their program. I learned some new things in the techniques I witnessed in surgery, and got to see how some of newer technologies in the cardiac and pulmonary departments were implemented. The guide we also had that helped us adjust to some of the cultural differences was so friendly and knowledgeable as well, and we felt right at home being as close to the hospital as we were. I highly recommend checking out what the Atlantis Project offers and encourage students with all levels of shadowing experience to apply!

Shadow Abroad--And see Spain too!

Of course I was hesitant about paying quite a bit of money for a shadowing experience...but I can honestly say that I have no regrets whatsoever. Pursuing the opportunity presented to me by the Atlantis Project gave me an exposure to clinical settings that I would have had an EXTREMELY hard time trying to receive here in America. After six weeks with the program, I could honestly say that I had fallen in love with surgery and even had some idea about what specialties I might be interested in. So--if you're hesitant, believe me when I say that it was worth every bit!

Spain living

This program was an amazing opportunity. We were able to get an idea of what we will actually be doing while also experiencing European culture first hand. The staff at the hospital were very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. While I was there I saw a variety of different departments and the connections that we made were unbelievable. I would recommend this program to anyone going in the field of healthcare. It will teach you a lot about difference kinds of health care and also about yourself.

Best Medical Exposure Ever

I was an Atlantis Project fellow in July of 2015. I was placed in Faial, an island part of the Azores. During my time in Faial, I was immersed in the culture and had a great amount of exposure in the hospital. Monday-Friday consisted of breakfast at the hospital and then a 5-6 hour day in the a certain department of the hospital. I was able to shadow in Radiology, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine and Surgery, all of which I experienced things I had never in the US. This program allowed me to get a feel of what the medical field was like all while getting to explore a beautiful culture. During our off time I spent a lot of time on the beach and hiking. There were team meals at least 2, sometimes 3, nights a week and this was a time for us to get to know each other and the coordinator that was a local to Faial. Luis, the grounds coordinator, planned many events for us; all of which involved some type of adventure. Whether it was hiking, climbing volcanoes, or whale watching there was much fun to be had. My overall experience as a fellow of the Atlantis Project was great and I am sure it will be beneficial to me when applying to medical schools.