American University of Beirut
American University of Beirut Header Image American University of Beirut Header Image

American University of Beirut

Exchange program at AUB

I spent a year at AUB from Sept 2015 to Sept 2016. The administration was warmly welcoming, efficient, organized and planned a lot of trips and travels to discover the country. I had the chance to study both modern classic Arabic and Lebanese dialect and that's probably the highlight of the classes I took there. All the facilities on campus can moreover allow foreign students to meet other AUB students with the numerous clubs. I can only recommend such a destination for an Exchange Program!

AUB - best place to study Arabic and Middle Eastern studies

A semester of Middle Eastern Studies at AUB - you are headed for a great experience! The university campus is situated beautifully above the Mediterranean sea in the midst of the student and intellectual area of Beirut. I found the university facilities all modern and on the highest standard, including the gym, the library and seminar rooms. Both administrative and teaching staff were all extraordinarily skilled and friendly. I found AUB the best place to study contemporary history of the whole region through the public conferences and cultural events hosted by AUB during my stay. Beirut is an exciting place to stay and there are plenty of opportunities to immerse yourself into local and regional culture.

Exceptional from the beginning to the end

Whenever I come to a new place, a new city, a new country, I am understandably excited. It's the unknown, the new that leaves more questions than answers and you are forced to find answers to some of the questions to at least settle in. What are the basic words to get around? Where are my classes? Wjhat's the shortest way to uni? How do I get from A to B? How much do I have to pay for service X and when am I scammed? What's the best food? Good weekend escapes? Good bars?

Normally, as soon, as I have found the answers, my excitement level drops back to regular. I'm in a new place. Alright but well, at the end it's just a new city, a new country, a new environment. Nothing out of this world.

That was different in Beirut. AUB, Beirut, Lebanon are hard to put into words. Life is intense and exciting every new day as an exchange student. After two months, I recognized that something was odd. I did a reality check and realized that my excitement level had never dropped back to regular but instead stayed in the upper half between regular and super excited for the entire time. Coming to AUB was the best decision I could have taken. Interesting classes, a spectacular campus, fellow students that turned into friends, great sport facilities a dedicated international office team and above all a city and country that has so much to offer. And with that I also mean the downsides that are obvious. I embraced it all, the upsides and the downsides, as both are part of my AUB, my Beirut, my Lebanon experience and almost 2,5 years later I wouldn't change my decision. My only regret: I wasn't able to stay an entire year.

Habibti Ya Lubnan

My experience in Beirut, Lebanon was nothing short of magical, thanks to the wonderful program at the American University of Beirut. First, the university offered such a variety of rich courses, presented from an alternative point of view to my own context (which I found essential to my experience in Lebanon). Second, the campus was constantly hosting a number of lectures and panels from various departments, which again offered a new perspective pulling experts, scholars and activists from all over the region and the world. These lectures in particular really forced me to think critically about my own global perceptions.

AUB also really created an inviting and warm community through the Office of International Programs. This office was critical for me to better understand my context, feel comfortable in the country and of course to meet my friends here. Moreover, the social events and support offered by OIP gave me a much more holistic understanding of Lebanon, making the country's beauties much more accessible. Its staff and students were always there to provide support, advice and friendship.

Anyone considering spending time in the Middle East should really consider Lebanon, and more specifically the University of Beirut. After this experience, I have a much richer grasp of the country's culture, history and people. And now, I don't want to leave!

Everyone should go to wonderful Lebanon

My experience at the American University of Beirut was one of the best I have ever had.
From the first day you walk through the gates into this beautiful campus you will feel certain that your semester will be fantastic.

You will be met by a wonderful fun and very social group of mentors, who will guide you safely into your stay at AUB and in Lebanon in general.

The professors at AUB are very professional and I was able to learn a lot about very specific things. They all had a lot of passion about their specific topic, and all taught with high enthusiasm.
The selection of courses at AUB makes sure, that there is something for every taste and degree.

I will highly recommend AUB to everyone.

• Facilities

Lovely Experience in Beirut

Dear all of you,

I can totally recommend the opportunity to study abroad for one or more semester at AUB. The staff was always friendly, professors really good and the overall feeling was like coming home each time I entered the campus. But a bit more in detail:

Lectures:
I'm an industrial engineer from Germany, so I used to have most of my lectures at the business school. OSB ist located right next to the seaside in a nice-looking building. The quality of the lectures was high and I really enjoyed the many discussions we had in class with the professor. Plus: I also had a lecture which had nothing to do with my normal background but was in politics.

OIP:
The first address you will go to in AUB is the OIP office. Those guys are really amazing. They take care of everything for you and if you need help OIP staff and the mentors are your first contact persons. They will guide you through the registration process and organize trips on weekends to various sites in Lebanon.

The Campus:
As mentioned before, AUB campus ist right next to the seaside. Private beach, gyms and simming pools included. The campus itself is very pretty and probably the place with the fastest internet in Lebanon (you won't believe that while waiting in a queue for your meal at lunch time).

Beirut and Lebanon:
I was overwhelmed by the friendly and warm welcome I got everywhere I went to. I lived in Hamra, off campus and made new friends quickly. Lebanon and Beirut both are absolutely amazing and worth a visit. There's no need to be afraid of something, if you're in doubt whether it's safe to go somewhere or not, just ask your lebanese friends, mentors or OIP.

All in all:
Thumbs up for AUB and Lebanon!

Best experience

I spend one semester at AUB and it was by far the best experience. The universities international office is excellent, always helpful, patient and well structured with a Buddy programme. The Campus is beautiful with really nice facilities as pool, running track, gym. The cultural experience in Lebanon was without words, people are super hospitable, the food is amazing and I did not feel unsafe for one moment during my 6 months. I would recommend to everyone to go to Lebanon/study at AUB it is a experience that will truly change you and you will not forget it.

Very interesting experience, excellent university

For me, AUB was a great chance to immerse myself in a region I otherwise would have known very little about and at the same time get all my credits transferred easily because of the American university system.

AUB is a great experience

AUB's reputation is second to none in the Middle East. I found the faculty and facilities to be impeccable and easily on par with top tier institutions in the West, including IVY League schools. I think that AUB's faculty are under-rated. I found them to be simply excellent. The experience overall was excellent.

Amazing experience

I had an amazing experience studying at AUB, a worldwide renowned university. I especially enjoyed the beautiful, centrally located campus and the quality of teaching. I recommend AUB to anyone who wants to study Arabic and discover Lebanon.

Studying abroad at AUB for two semesters

AUB is an amazing university in an even more amazing city. The classes are great, although I would advise undergraduate students studying social sciences/ humanities to take graduate level classes instead of undergraduate level classes at AUB whenever possible. I found the graduate level classes to be more interesting. Beirut is an amazing place and you'll learn an incredible amount just by living there.

If you are going there to study Arabic, I recommend taking as many "services" (shared cabs) as you can while traveling around Beirut. The drivers tend to be very talkative and that will give you a great opportunity to practice your Arabic (especially if you get stuck in traffic and a 10 minute car ride turns into a 30 minute trip). This is because it is easy to fall into the trap of only speaking English with your friends from AUB, and rarely getting the opportunity to practice Arabic except for in class (I'll admit that this is a mistake that I made).

The people who run the international students program at AUB did a wonderful job and they were incredibly helpful. Megan Scanlon, in particular, was an amazing aid to have while I was first adjusting to life in Beirut. The office for international students also organized lots of very affordable excursions for international students to go and see all the beauty that Lebanon has to offer. They also are very helpful when it comes to figuring out how to renew your visa.

AUB is a dream, just like Lebanon

I don't really know where to start when I think about how to describe my semester at AUB--wonderful, amazing, fantastic--the words don't do it justice!

My professors in the Anthropology and Sociology departments were some of the best I ever had. They challenge you and open you up to new ways of thinking that makes you want to go to class. OIP is super helpful and the exchange student mentors are actually really nice. AUB offices can be a hassle to deal with, but everyone there genuinely wants to help you and see you succeed. Even if you get stressed out with the administration you don't have to look too far to calm down again: campus cats, 3,000 TL manushe, wonderful student friends, cool bars and restaurants, and solid weather almost everyday makes it hard to not be happy in Beirut.

If you are looking for an adventure, do it. Beirut is a gem and you will definitely not leave Lebanon the same person as when you arrived.

Student exchange at AUB

I spent one semester at AUB, studying at the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Since I attended only graduate seminar at one of the least popular departments, I made few friends at the university. This is sad, considering the fact that I had no-one else than my college buddies in the city. I had to look outside campus to make new friends, which was more difficult. Had there been more activities, excursions, cultural evenings etc. organised (I am talking Fall 2012 here), it would have probably been easier for me to adapt to the new environment. Nevertheless, the activities that the Office for International Programmes did organise were nice and made me feel I was a part of that community at least for a while.
When it comes to the programme, it was good mainly because there are/were very few graduate students studying in my field and we had almost one to one tutoring with professors at times. A small number of students does however have disadvantages - there are not so many courses to choose from.

Culture and academia in one jar

I found the professors at AUB very inspiring, and I learned much about Lebanon and the Middle East from my courses at SOAN and PSPA. I enjoyed the diversity in the different courses, and I found the curriculum very relevant and interesting. Besides the academic part, AUB did very good community vice. For me it was a whole new experience to enter a campus which offered everything from gym to choir. The mentors did a very good job planning different activities and cultural trips through out the semester, and they were always happy to answer questions whenever we needed it.