American University of Beirut Header Image American University of Beirut Header Image

American University of Beirut

Habibti Ya Lubnan

My experience in Beirut, Lebanon was nothing short of magical, thanks to the wonderful program at the American University of Beirut. First, the university offered such a variety of rich courses, presented from an alternative point of view to my own context (which I found essential to my experience in Lebanon). Second, the campus was constantly hosting a number of lectures and panels from various departments, which again offered a new perspective pulling experts, scholars and activists from all over the region and the world. These lectures in particular really forced me to think critically about my own global perceptions.

AUB also really created an inviting and warm community through the Office of International Programs. This office was critical for me to better understand my context, feel comfortable in the country and of course to meet my friends here. Moreover, the social events and support offered by OIP gave me a much more holistic understanding of Lebanon, making the country's beauties much more accessible. Its staff and students were always there to provide support, advice and friendship.

Anyone considering spending time in the Middle East should really consider Lebanon, and more specifically the University of Beirut. After this experience, I have a much richer grasp of the country's culture, history and people. And now, I don't want to leave!

Everyone should go to wonderful Lebanon

My experience at the American University of Beirut was one of the best I have ever had.
From the first day you walk through the gates into this beautiful campus you will feel certain that your semester will be fantastic.

You will be met by a wonderful fun and very social group of mentors, who will guide you safely into your stay at AUB and in Lebanon in general.

The professors at AUB are very professional and I was able to learn a lot about very specific things. They all had a lot of passion about their specific topic, and all taught with high enthusiasm.
The selection of courses at AUB makes sure, that there is something for every taste and degree.

I will highly recommend AUB to everyone.

• Facilities

Lovely Experience in Beirut

Dear all of you,

I can totally recommend the opportunity to study abroad for one or more semester at AUB. The staff was always friendly, professors really good and the overall feeling was like coming home each time I entered the campus. But a bit more in detail:

Lectures:
I'm an industrial engineer from Germany, so I used to have most of my lectures at the business school. OSB ist located right next to the seaside in a nice-looking building. The quality of the lectures was high and I really enjoyed the many discussions we had in class with the professor. Plus: I also had a lecture which had nothing to do with my normal background but was in politics.

OIP:
The first address you will go to in AUB is the OIP office. Those guys are really amazing. They take care of everything for you and if you need help OIP staff and the mentors are your first contact persons. They will guide you through the registration process and organize trips on weekends to various sites in Lebanon.

The Campus:
As mentioned before, AUB campus ist right next to the seaside. Private beach, gyms and simming pools included. The campus itself is very pretty and probably the place with the fastest internet in Lebanon (you won't believe that while waiting in a queue for your meal at lunch time).

Beirut and Lebanon:
I was overwhelmed by the friendly and warm welcome I got everywhere I went to. I lived in Hamra, off campus and made new friends quickly. Lebanon and Beirut both are absolutely amazing and worth a visit. There's no need to be afraid of something, if you're in doubt whether it's safe to go somewhere or not, just ask your lebanese friends, mentors or OIP.

All in all:
Thumbs up for AUB and Lebanon!

Studying abroad at AUB for two semesters

AUB is an amazing university in an even more amazing city. The classes are great, although I would advise undergraduate students studying social sciences/ humanities to take graduate level classes instead of undergraduate level classes at AUB whenever possible. I found the graduate level classes to be more interesting. Beirut is an amazing place and you'll learn an incredible amount just by living there.

If you are going there to study Arabic, I recommend taking as many "services" (shared cabs) as you can while traveling around Beirut. The drivers tend to be very talkative and that will give you a great opportunity to practice your Arabic (especially if you get stuck in traffic and a 10 minute car ride turns into a 30 minute trip). This is because it is easy to fall into the trap of only speaking English with your friends from AUB, and rarely getting the opportunity to practice Arabic except for in class (I'll admit that this is a mistake that I made).

The people who run the international students program at AUB did a wonderful job and they were incredibly helpful. Megan Scanlon, in particular, was an amazing aid to have while I was first adjusting to life in Beirut. The office for international students also organized lots of very affordable excursions for international students to go and see all the beauty that Lebanon has to offer. They also are very helpful when it comes to figuring out how to renew your visa.

AUB is a dream, just like Lebanon

I don't really know where to start when I think about how to describe my semester at AUB--wonderful, amazing, fantastic--the words don't do it justice!

My professors in the Anthropology and Sociology departments were some of the best I ever had. They challenge you and open you up to new ways of thinking that makes you want to go to class. OIP is super helpful and the exchange student mentors are actually really nice. AUB offices can be a hassle to deal with, but everyone there genuinely wants to help you and see you succeed. Even if you get stressed out with the administration you don't have to look too far to calm down again: campus cats, 3,000 TL manushe, wonderful student friends, cool bars and restaurants, and solid weather almost everyday makes it hard to not be happy in Beirut.

If you are looking for an adventure, do it. Beirut is a gem and you will definitely not leave Lebanon the same person as when you arrived.