African Big 5 & Wildlife Conservation Project
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

African Big 5 & Wildlife Conservation Project

Test

This is a test review. This is a test review. This is a test review. This is a test review. This is a test review. This is a test review. This is a test review. This is a test review. This is a test review. This is a test review.

ultimate awesomeness

If you want to join this project, DO IT! It is amazing. You are able to experience South-Africa in a way you can not get during a regular holiday in this country. The staff is perfect, the food is awesome, the drives are the best!
Book now now!!!

Good

I enjoyed a lot with the guys and staff. I was missing interaction with locals and other projects and outcoming experts. I could do sports and knowing a little bit about south africa and how supporting the projects so I am very happy

GREAT

It was really good. The staff was very friendly and approachable, the volunteers (especially Feras) were very fun and easy going. I spent only 2 weeks but it felt like it was too short and I would like to stay longer!

Unforgettable experiences made, with unforgettable friends (Camille the best)

From start to end, everything was simply perfect. Great experience on a daily basis, lovely staff, and even better food! this is surely a trip that I will never forget, and will undoubtedly recommend to anyone interested. Thank you African Impact, for the wonderful time.

Dream come true

I have enjoyed every minute of this wonderful 2 week experience that has been a dream of mine for 14 years. It has fulfilled every expectation & then some with respect to the wildlife and behaviors I have had the privilege to witness and the knowledge I have gained. Seeing endangered species up close and personal and feeling like the research that I am contributing to will have an impact in their preservation & protection has been empowering.

A life-changing experience I will never forget

My volunteering experience with African Impact has been an absolutely amazing one. During my four-week stay, I have learned so much from the staff and guides here, all of whom show admirable professionalism and dedication towards our endeavours in conservation and community outreaching. I have also seen so much more of the wildlife of South Africa than I had anticipated, from the apex predators (leopards, lions, wild dogs etc.) to the beautiful little birds (lilac breasted rollers, hornbills etc.) Our activities here (including game drives, bush walks, project work and more) are very well planned and executed, and everyone here is more than happy to help. If I had the chance, I would definitely volunteer with African Impact again; the organization itself, as compared to other volunteer organizations that I have come across previously, is a mature, professional and reliable one that has offered me, and will undoubtedly offer you, an unforgettable learning experience on this beautiful piece of land.

Advice from a teacher...

This has been a fantastic adventure. Having signed up through a 3rd party booking agency there were a few things that I was a bit concerned about prior to arriving; however, once on sight and interacting with the staff, those worries ceased. The lodge is as comfortable as home, the experiences were second to none as the staff's knowledge is on point, and in regards to the staff, they were fantastic herding cats (aka volunteers) each and every day. It's been a fantastic adventure!

DJ's review

This is a great and exciting opportunity to get close to and see the wildlife that you mainly hear about. The people are awesome, kind and respectful. It make for an amazing experience to help work in.

Incredible experience!

Volunteering for African Impact was amazing. I have learnt an incredible amount about research, animals, the environment and this insane country (to be brief!). Everyone was extremely welcoming and helpful. The staff and other volunteers just enhanced the overall experience and I have enjoyed every moment. When I first arrived I was sick and the team here were amazingly helpful and caring. They went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and they took me to the doctor right away. I was so lucky to have them! my only regret about the whole experience was that I wasn't able to stay longer! I will 100% be back.

Amazing weeks in the bush

The last five weeks in the South African bush with African Impact have simply been the most rewarding, stress-free and worry-free weeks of my life. The time on the project allows you to focus on every little detail of nature and you will be rewarded for your dedication with some of the most amazing wildlife sightings out there. An absolutely amazing time! Thank you so much!!!

Feedback form

I have had an amazing time during my month stay here. This project has gone beyond my expectations during the program. I like how during the program we can also get involved in community education as well as the research side.

Amazing experience

A real project with a real impact !
You learn and you feel useful .
The staff is very friendly and professional !
The ambiance with the other volunteers it's amazing and work in this environment it's just wonderful !!!

Tijmen

I have had an amazing time at the Domela lodge. time has gone by so fast, I was staying for 4 weeks but it only feels like 1. the staff and other volunteers are amazing, but seeing the wild animals makes it even better. While you are doing the work and collecting the data you feel like you are actually making a difference instead of just driving around like tourists on a safari. I would definitely recommend the research project to any other teenager who wants to see something of the world and make a difference at the same time.

Future guide Charlie's review

I was so exited to come here and I was right to be.. I had an absolutely amazing time here. The weeks are busy but even after 8 weeks I didn't get enough ;) I feel like home here now. You create bonds with the kids in community, you are more and more surprised and excited of what you see when you go on game drive or in Klaserie, you are proud of yourself and your team when you do a great job in physical conservation work. You feel doing something important when you do data entry and I could give more example. You also create bonds with the volunteers from all over the world and with the staff who is amazing. I have a big passion for wildlife and I loved sharing that with the staff, I loved learning more about everything and anything. You gave me lots of tears of happiness, I went over my fears and the most important you made my dream incredibly come true. Thank you so much for that.
See you soon, for sure.
The future guide Charlie ;)

Great experience

An unforgettable experience where you get to meet new friends and make an impact through conservation. The people you meet become like family. I would highly recommend taking part in this program if you have any interest in animals and conservation. Definitely more worthwhile than a typical safari program.

Big 5 conservation

Overall a great experience. I got to see incredible wildlife throughout my stay. I feel volunteering is a far better way to see the wildlife then on a standard safari mainly because it feels like we are able to contribute to their future.

Amazing experience

My stay at Dumela lodge has been amazing. The staff are really friendly, approachable and help with any problems you have. The project was great fun and got to see so many amazing sighting including all of the Big 5. Some were even as close as 10m. The accommodation was incredibly comfortable. The overall experience was so worth it. I would definitely come back.

My time in African impact

I come for 4 weeks in the research project at African Impact, it was one of the best volunteering experience I had! the project was perfect, specially when we go on research drive it was my favorite thing because you can see the animals and its such a good time.

A life time experience!

When I decided to come here I had no idea how things were going to be. It was my first time volunteering and I had only 2 weeks to be here, so I decided put all my heart into the work I was doing and make the best out of this experience.On the last couple weeks I experienced so may things and learned so much, that I can't even put it down into words. I just feel really really blessed to be a part of this. I'm very amazed by how much I got involved into this project. There are still so many things I have to learn, and there are still so many things I can do to help the work that is being done here. It was my first time with African Impact, but definitely not my last.

Thanks for everything

Thanks for the patient destination specialist, extremely knowledgeable guides, enthusiastic managers and every friendly volunteers.
And thanks for every presentation, answer and smile;)
The experience here is definitely far beyond my expectation( although we're always wet). Do hope everyone enjoys the time here.
Lots of hugs!

Best experience

Best experience of my life! The staff are so friendly, passionate and enthusiastic about their work, that you leave with a sense of self achievement and new found knowledge! 100% I will be returning!!

Excellent experience

Best 3 weeks of my life. It is great to meet all the awesome people and do all the amazing work! I am very please to learn about all different kind of interesting aninmals and insects, especially they are living as they suppose to be, not in a zoo behind bars.

Impact in Africa

African Impact is a place to volunteer if you want to experience Africa raw, while contributing to conservation and education in the community to help make that little more of a difference. Dumela Lodge is a rustic lodge set in the Greater Kruger area, surrounded by the bush, with a comfortable living situation and a great team of staff. The effect the projects have on the community, and conservation is of great value, of which you can get involved in, from data collection on game drives, to hands on work in the community.

Holly's stay

I loved every minute of my stay at Dumela Lodge with the African Impact team. Everyone was welcoming and super lovely. The whole team is very knowledgable and experienced, I have learnt so much since arriving here! I only stayed for two weeks, but Dumela became my home away from home! Cannot wait to come back!!