African Big 5 & Wildlife Conservation Project
Volunteers and local kids playing Volunteers and local kids playing

African Big 5 & Wildlife Conservation Project

Amazing Experience

A real project with a real impact !
You learn and you feel useful .
The staff is very friendly and professional !
The ambiance with the other volunteers it's amazing and work in this environnement it's just wonderful !!!

Tijmen

I have had an amazing time at the Domela lodge. time has gone by so fast, I was staying for 4 weeks but it only feels like 1. the staff and other volunteers are amazing, but seeing the wild animals makes it even better. While you are doing the work and collecting the data you feel like you are actually making a difference instead of just driving around like tourists on a safari. I would definitely recommend the research project to any other teenager who wants to see something of the world and make a difference at the same time.

Future guide Charlie's review

I was so exited to come here and I was right to be.. I had an absolutely amazing time here. The weeks are busy but even after 8 weeks I didn't get enough ;) I feel like home here now. You create bonds with the kids in community, you are more and more surprised and excited of what you see when you go on game drive or in Klaserie, you are proud of yourself and your team when you do a great job in physical conservation work. You feel doing something important when you do data entry and I could give more example. You also create bonds with the volunteers from all over the world and with the staff who is amazing. I have a big passion for wildlife and I loved sharing that with the staff, I loved learning more about everything and anything. You gave me lots of tears of happiness, I went over my fears and the most important you made my dream incredibly come true. Thank you so much for that.
See you soon, for sure.
The future guide Charlie ;)

Great experience

An unforgettable experience where you get to meet new friends and make an impact through conservation. The people you meet become like family. I would highly recommend taking part in this program if you have any interest in animals and conservation. Definitely more worthwhile than a typical safari program.

Big 5 conservation

Overall a great experience. I got to see incredible wildlife throughout my stay. I feel volunteering is a far better way to see the wildlife then on a standard safari mainly because it feels like we are able to contribute to their future.

Amazing experience

My stay at Dumela lodge has been amazing. The staff are really friendly, approachable and help with any problems you have. The project was great fun and got to see so many amazing sighting including all of the Big 5. Some were even as close as 10m. The accommodation was incredibly comfortable. The overall experience was so worth it. I would definitely come back.

My time in African impact

I come for 4 weeks in the research project at African Impact, it was one of the best volunteering experience I had! the project was perfect, specially when we go on research drive it was my favorite thing because you can see the animals and its such a good time.

A life time experience!

When I decided to come here I had no idea how things were going to be. It was my first time volunteering and I had only 2 weeks to be here, so I decided put all my heart into the work I was doing and make the best out of this experience.On the last couple weeks I experienced so may things and learned so much, that I can't even put it down into words. I just feel really really blessed to be a part of this. I'm very amazed by how much I got involved into this project. There are still so many things I have to learn, and there are still so many things I can do to help the work that is being done here. It was my first time with African Impact, but definitely not my last.

Thanks for everything

Thanks for the patient destination specialist, extremely knowledgeable guides, enthusiastic managers and every friendly volunteers.
And thanks for every presentation, answer and smile;)
The experience here is definitely far beyond my expectation( although we're always wet). Do hope everyone enjoys the time here.
Lots of hugs!

Best experience

Best experience of my life! The staff are so friendly, passionate and enthusiastic about their work, that you leave with a sense of self achievement and new found knowledge! 100% I will be returning!!

Excellent experience

Best 3 weeks of my life. It is great to meet all the awesome people and do all the amazing work! I am very please to learn about all different kind of interesting aninmals and insects, especially they are living as they suppose to be, not in a zoo behind bars.

Impact in Africa

African Impact is a place to volunteer if you want to experience Africa raw, while contributing to conservation and education in the community to help make that little more of a difference. Dumela Lodge is a rustic lodge set in the Greater Kruger area, surrounded by the bush, with a comfortable living situation and a great team of staff. The effect the projects have on the community, and conservation is of great value, of which you can get involved in, from data collection on game drives, to hands on work in the community.

Holly's stay

I loved every minute of my stay at Dumela Lodge with the African Impact team. Everyone was welcoming and super lovely. The whole team is very knowledgable and experienced, I have learnt so much since arriving here! I only stayed for two weeks, but Dumela became my home away from home! Cannot wait to come back!!

Absolutely fantastic

At first i was a bit nervous going on my own once arrived in nelspruit you get to know everyone quite fast and the ppl are so nice here! The other volunteers, the staff. Ive seen so many amazing things, seeing animals in the wild is so different and it amazed me over and over. I definitely had the best time of my life!

Exciting

African Impact South Africa is an amazing experience. Settled in a nice and comfortable environment, you learn a lot about the conservation project managed by a very dedicated staff. The most exciting moments are the many game drives and contact with fauna and flora in the region.

My time at AI

Well, I was looking for something completely different to my normal working life and AI certainly provided that.

Everyone from AI was well informed and professional!

Getting up close and personal to the wildlife was amazing.

A great experience from beginning to end.

Amanda Brucchieri's review

My time at African Impact has been inspirational, impactful and an incredible learning experience. Although not all the volunteer tasks are easy I was never alone in the challenges. I have met people from all over the world and been introduced to so many different cultures. If I had the opportunity I would redo the past 10 weeks over again in an instant.

Unforgettable experience

My time at Dumela lodge has been amazing. The eight weeks on this project just went very quickly but I have enjoyed every minute of it. I will never forget this experience. I have seen much more than I expected when I first decided to volunteer.

African Impact review

My two weeks spent in Hoedspruit with African Impact provided me with so many memories that I will never forget. I was physically and mentally challenged and pushed every day by a helpful, supportive, and super motivated staff and group of volunteers. Everyone on the team was so passionate and knowledgeable. It was clear from the start just how much they all love what they are doing. Being surrounded by such a great group of people made it easy to find my own motivation. I enjoyed every activity, as each had something unique to offer. Everyone was given a fair opportunity to contribute and make an impact, and I hope we all did! It was certainly an unforgettable experience. A once in a lifetime trip that I already want to take again!

A+ time

I had the best time while volunteering with AI. The lodge was full of a great atmosphere thanks to the amazing staff and other volunteers, definitely was not ready to leave after my six weeks were up!

Dumela Lodge

During my time here at Dumela Lodge I did research which was fantastic. It was awesome to help with the butterfly garden and the waterhole in order to improve the ecosystem and it even turned into a mud fight which was an amazing experience and super fun.

Photo fantastic!

A great experience - everyday there was something different to stretch and challenge our photographic skills. This was matched with tuition and chance to get dirty and physically make a difference through conservation work. During my month we built a butterfly garden. Each week we camped in a reserve open to the Kruger national park and were privileged to see lions, elephants and even the elusive leopard among others.

The best days of my life

If you're looking for the most amazing animals while volunteering and making a difference, this is the place. Not only do you get to see nature in it's most beautiful state and help the researchers that are working here, you'll also get to spend time with people from all over the world, making friendships that you will never forget.

African Impact is the bomb dot com

Volunteering with African Impact has honestly been the highlight of my year. The people are all incredible and the work we do is meaningful and important. It makes it easy to get out of bed early in the morning, and trust me that is something I thought I would struggle with. I will miss the whole team and the wildlife so much. GO AI!!

Incredible

My time here was absolutely amazing. I have learned so much about the different species and wildlife there is in Africa and how everything interacts and works together. There is never a boring moment and all of the drives and activities are a lot of fun and very interesting. Volunteering here has made me feel like I've actually made a difference in the world. Everybody is so enthusiastic about all the work that is done here and I hope that they are able to achieve everything they want to. I'm really going to miss being here and i hope that i can return again soon.