African Big 5 & Wildlife Conservation Project
Volunteers group photo Volunteers group photo

African Big 5 & Wildlife Conservation Project

9.4 Overall Rating
9.4 Overall Rating
Star Verified
Download Information

Location

South Africa: Limpopo

Program Summary

As a conservation volunteer in Africa you will experience Africas amazing wildlife through research drives and bush walks in the Greater Kruger big 5 National Park in South Africa. You can make a difference by supporting a balanced ecosystem, assisting local wildlife foundations to protect endangered wildlife.

The aim of having research done on reserves is to understand more about the reserve animals, their territories, behaviours, populations, movements and eating habits. Reserves can therefore plan for the future and keep track of how many animals are in the reserve.

Volunteer work will include monitoring and assembling of data through game drives and composing animal identikits. Physical tasks on the reserve will also involve snare sweeps, fencing patrols, alien plant removal, camera traps, and cleaning up litter.

As a volunteer you will gain insight into the impact of poaching on wildlife, the necessity of eradicating alien plants and managing of a game reserve. You will also experience the ...

An Enriching Experience

I had two wonderful weeks here. I learned a bunch of things about African wildlife, the bush and also about the people of South Africa. We really feel that what we did was useful and that it is really motivating. Finally the people here - staff and volunteers - are great, nice and I had a great time meeting them and chatting with them.

Amazing Experience

My stay with African Impact was even better than I had expected and I had absolutely no issues with anything during my trip. The staff was always ready to help and handled their jobs really quite well.

Good Learning Experience

My time spent here was amazing. The knowledge that I gained from the staff and guides is very helpful. I now have a much better understanding of what conservation looks like and why it is so important. All of the hard work that I did helped me to get a better idea of what I want to do in the future. The experience I had and the things I saw on drives was more than I could have hoped for. Working with African Impact has truly made my dream come true.

Discovering Wildlife in South Africa

I didn't have a lot of expectation about this month because I wasn't well informed. It was surprising in a good way and I really enjoyed it. I made some really good friends, learned a lot about the country, and especially about the wild life. It was a really enjoyable experience.

Beautiful experience

It was a beautiful experience.
You have the opportunity to watch many animals besides the big five.
Night drive are fantastic and you can sleep each week in the savanna.
Is possible to take part to some organised tour like in the Kruger national park or Blyde river canyon.
The lodge and the game drive are not in the Kruger national park but in the Greater Kruger area which is 45 min far away; during 2 weeks i have seen all the big five exept for the lion which i’ve seen in the Kruger national park.
If you travel on july you have to take with you some warm clothes cause to reach the different reserves you go on open vehicle during the day and the night and is very cold.
Maybe the week is too full of activity but you have the weekend to recover.

Good experience

Great time with African Impact. had a great experience with the staff. Unfortunately the program was not adequate to my expectations which made me leave early. Still had a unique experience and learn a lot in the bush.

made me want to come back to south africa

Awesome staff that actually care about volunteers and overall awesome experience for someone that loves animals ans people like I love them. I want to come back as soon as possible thanks for this beautiful experience

Beautiful experience

Had a fantastic time learning about everything in South Africa. Has the offer, amazing lodge, amazing people and amazing activities. All the schedule is perfectly organise ! I'm really happy to have been part of this team.

A great place for wildlife lovers who wants to have an impact on conservation

Great experience compare to other volunteering program. This is a big nice sustainable project. Also you'll have a good induction at the beginning and almost everything is organised here. The accommodations are amazing. You're not really immersed culturally except if you are a community volunteer. The volunteer coordinators are all nice but they sometimes need their privacy so don't really hang out with you except at lunch time and during the game drives. There's a hospital 45min away from the lodge so I had tick fever and thanks to a quick diagnostic, I was quickly back on game drives. The daily routine is great, you always have something to do during the day and when you have downtime you're quite happy. The excursions are quite expensive but I understand that African Impact is still a business. Anyway a great volunteering project that I advised.

Feedback

Amazing experience! You get to know a lot of great people in the house. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Everything is very orginazed and their a lot of different activities. During your weekend you can do a lot of activities.

Good experience

After two weeks I have already seen so much and got to plenty of data that could be used for future research. The living situation is good and the rooms are very clean. The food is also extremely good.

Dj's review

The research project was awesome I saw many new animals that were different from the last time I was here. Examples of the new animals are the porcupine and the Wild dogs. i loved the leopards very very very very very very very very very very much.

My experience at Dumela lodge

Amazing experience knowledgeable and fun staff very engaging community projects. Can provide healthier food options. better tools for the review thorn and erosion control activities could be provided as well.

A unique, rewarding and enjoyable project

This project is my 3rd AI project and has further confirmed to me that AI is the best on the market providing engaging projects, which have a sustainable impact on conservation, the community and your personal development.

Had an excellent time here

Every time I come here I learn so much more about me and the wildlife! Most knowledge experience makes me want to keep coming back as soon as possible.
Thanks for everything, we are very lucky to be part of this family.

Big 5 research project

Volunteering for African Impact was one of the best decisions I could’ve made! I learned so much about the ecosystem and the animals and how we can make a positive impact. Staff is good and friendly!!

Super experience

it was really enjoyable, especially the reading club with the children and the camp out at Klaserie, I really appreciated to be in the middle of the bush, without connection, with animals and birds around me.

Dumela lodge - the archive of knowledge

Dumela lodge is truly one of the best wildlife based centres for conservation and knowledge. Among the many things I ve seen here I now have a much wider scope of understanding with the rhino situation. African impact helped me make an impact on wildlife and helped make an impact on me.

A memorable experience

No matter what fun has guaranteed ! I experienced so many cool things which educated and brought out a new side to me. I feel special that I was able to witness a leopard at a few meters from the car and the camp out in the wild. It was a breath taking to see elephants theirs and other juggernauts at the same distance overall 10/10

Lovely experience

The African Impact foundation is great, everything is well organised. The housing is very comfortable and the food was very good. The lodge is really beautiful. Meeting other volunteer from different countries and interacting with them is really great!

Experience that open your eyes

A unbelievable experience about the animals of course but also about the social side with the community project and all the people you meet during your stay!

It’s not just a holiday in the bush! You have the opportunity to contribute to something useful while you’re enjoying the experience!

Big 5 conservation project

Overall my stay and experience in South Africa at Dumela lodge have been amazing. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an adventure. The staff was friendly and the atmosphere in the lodge was relaxed.

Brilliant

It was a good experience, truly amazing guides.had tons of fun, got to learn new things a bit each day, all of the things were well prepared, rooms were neat and tidy.loved watching the wild animals in naturals habitat. overall it was.

Big five research

From the moment you are picked up ay the airport you are made to feel welcome, all the staff do there best to make you feel at home and I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe since arriving here. Being able to go out into the bush and see all the amazing animals whilst doing research to help sustain these species is and experience I will never forget. All the guides all always there to teach you about not only the big five but, insects birds and trees, they love the challenge of answering the hard questions and the love for the job is infectious and makes every drive more exciting, meeting all the staff and other volunteers from around the world is an incredible experience and I am so sad to be going home and will always miss my Dumela family.

Excellent

i like the drive and the fact that we protect the animals in those park. the reptiles center was amazing. community was not my thing but it was a pleasure to help the local population and teach them how to do it.

Notice: Our website and its third party tools use cookies, which are used to manage, monitor, and track usage to improve our website's services. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to the use of cookies, please refer to our cookie policy.

By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link, or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree and consent to our use of cookies.