Spanish Studies Abroad Header Image Spanish Studies Abroad Header Image

Integrated Studies Program - Seville

Integration and Immersion lead to becoming a Sevillana

The integrated Spanish Studies Abroad Sevilla program truly has it all. First off, living in such a historic and vibrant city as Sevilla is absolutely amazing. With bullfighting, flamenco, futbol, etc., it is difficult to ever become bored. The best way I can describe Sevilla to someone who has never been there is authentically charming. The Center for Norteamericanos where we took classes is located in the center of the city (historic center). It has different neighborhoods that are all in walking distance of the Center which is very convenient. The program itself is great since the classes are tailored for English speakers who are learning Spanish. My Spanish improved immensely from taking all of my classes in Spanish and living with a host family who only spoke Spanish. Also, since I was in a smaller city, I was able to practice my Spanish literally everywhere: in bars, in restaurants, in shops, etc. The program consists of about 100 students from various universities. Many of these colleges were smaller, private, or liberal-arts colleges. This was an advantage as opposed to having your entire program be from one university. It encouraged us to not only branch out, but to also look beyond the Center to befriend locals. Making friends with natives who were my age helped improve my Spanish so much, because I could ask them certain things I was too embarrassed to ask in school or about slang/expressions. Texting in Spanish also was very helpful. We had intercambios or speaking partners that CC-CS set us up with, so that gave us connections to having Spanish friends and friends of friends. Living with my host family was also an amazing part of the program. You can ask them about anything that you don't want to ask in class and they're very helpful. They became my family and I am so lucky that the housing at CC-CS is so personalized. Overall, my experience was truly incredible and life-changing. I definitely think that our program is a rare one in that not many enable you to be integrated in so many different ways. Though I took at a class at the University of Sevilla, I found the classes at the Center for Norteamericanos to be much more helpful and effective. Spanish Studies Abroad programs encourage you to go out of your comfort zone and branch out so that you can be fully immersed in Sevillan culture. I'm so glad I went through this program.

The classes at the center were so helpful because they were tailored to students who were English speakers rather than university classes in which students were assumed to be native Spanish speakers.

I was very lucky and had an amazing host family. I loved living with them and quickly became very comfortable with them. I was able to ask them questions about what I was learning in class or in the streets and we connected on that level also. By the time I left, I truly felt like a part of them and they a part of me. It was the ideal situation

The immersion in this program is a huge strength of CC-CS. Since Sevilla is not a massive city like Barcelona or Madrid, I was able to use my Spanish everywhere. Everything sort of connected because you'd learn things in class and then use it at a cafe or bar or shop or with your host family and vice versa. Having intercambios helped a lot, because we were able to meet locals who were our age and learned things from them that we would not have been able to by hanging out with just Americans.

Felt so safe at all times. Felt comfortable walking home alone at all hours though I tried to usually walk home with my roommate or a friend.

Social Life:
Incomparable. So fun. Sevilla is an extremely fun city. Always something going on.

Go to Sevilla!!!

Sevilla was an amazing place to study. It was great because you can definitely immerse yourself as much as you want, but there's always other Americans studying with you so it's easy to take a step back if you need to. Every class I took in Sevilla was applicable to my majors and interests and I never woke up wanting to miss class. Spanish Studies Abroad offered so much amazing support with any issue that I had which made the adjustment to Spanish culture an easy one. I would definitely recommend SSA to anyone willing to immerse themselves in the language and really live the culture.

Thank You, Spanish Studies!

My most memorable experience was getting to dance sevillanas (the traditional dance of my city) at Sevilla's Feria at the beginning of May. I wore my first flamenco dress and got to try my dance skills out outside of class.

Spanish Studies Abroad has a long-standing connection with my home university, Heidelberg. The representatives that spoke to us and my academic advisor's advice showed me that the best option for my immersion would be the Integrated Studies program in Seville, Spain.

I lived in a student residence (residencia) in the center of my city. The location and the facility were great. In addition, I got the opportunity to live with and mingle with students from all over the country. I met my best friend from Spain inside my building!

Thank you, Spanish Studies!

Spanish Studies Abroad is a program organized and run by passionate, interesting people. The academic experience is superior due to the Spanish Only Policy and the faculty and staff do a great job making life in your city comfortable and meaningful.

My time in Seville was a semester of rest, beauty, and growth.

I think of Seville more as a large town than a city because of its beauty and community feel. It is a safe place to live and is filled with culture. People are more personable and relaxed (though not lazy), which was a great change from the hustle-and-bustle, impersonal culture I'm around back home. CC-CS did a great job providing great professors and cultural experiences, from sight-seeing around the city to trips to other cities to helping us get connected with Seville's people. I look forward to going back!

They had intelligent and fun professors, and the classes don't keep you from spending time experiencing Seville.

I've heard it's hit-and-miss, but I had an awesome experience and still keep in contact with my host family.

You can limit your friends to only other international students, but it's not hard to make friends with Spaniards.

Kind and engaging.

So safe! I also rented a bike while I was there, and I rode sometimes at night if I was uncomfortable walking.

Overall very positive experience!

Becoming close to my host family, realizing that I am becoming fluent in Spanish, and gaining the courage to make tough decisions.

The only program at my university that goes to Seville, and I knew of other students who had gone with positive experiences.

A home near the Alameda de Hércules with a true family and lots of love. Shared a bedroom and bathroom with a roommate until her program (Spanish Studies only, not Integrated like me) then received another CC-CS roommate for the May Term, then the June Term, too!

Overall very positive experience!

Overall this program is very good with plenty of experience and people to help both in the USA and in Seville. The office/school is centrally located, making it ideal for exploring an old, historically important city. Very good points include the school itself, the homestay, and cultural activities including travel. The professors are all native to Spain (most from Andalusia but others too) and very dedicated to their work here. It's so important to meet them halfway though; you must understand that you're here to learn and that they'll help you if you want help, but if you're not willing to try, then why bother? They'll pick up on your attitude and you'll leave Seville without learning a thing if you don't care. Homework was substantially less than I was used to (this could be positive or negative, haha). The homestays are handled very carefully and I have yet to hear of anyone having a bad experience - and by that I mean anyone who actually wanted to cultivate a meaningful relationship with their family. There were people who didn't try and therefore didn't have a good time with their family however me and my roommate will be in touch with our family for years to come, they are absolutely wonderful people. This leads into the cultural immersion bit too, in that our host family was more than happy to tell us information about Seville, Andalusia, and Spain in general, bring us to various parts of the city, etc. etc. I cannot stress enough that if you want a truly rewarding learning experience you MUST live with a family and at least ATTEMPT to speak Spanish with them regularly. You will be amazed at how much you learn! CC-CS provides numerous opportunities to see the city, from the mandatory trip to the Cathedral to the optional trip to the Museum of Flamenco Dance. Furthermore, trips to places like Granada and Córdoba will allow people who are interested in history to explore southern Spain in a fun, educational way. Travel in general is something that many people come ready and prepared to do, and CC-CS is helpful with this, too, because they offer NUMEROUS travel experiences including Morocco and Portugal (I personally recommend both!) that will allow you to add to your international travel repertoire while having fun with your friends.
The administration itself needs a little help being more accessible to students before the program begins. For example, we were not given our class schedules nor a firm schedule of events during the semester until our arrival in Seville. Meaning that any reservations for visiting family members or travel to other countries had to wait until practically the last minute. Anyone who knows anything about traveling knows that you need time and preparation, not to mention that prices go up as time goes by. Therefore this is an extremely detrimental problem, as it costs students and families quite a bit of money over time. Furthermore communication about things like obligatory trips and meetings are often very last minute, causing problems for students and host families alike. Miscommunications galore!

Don't be an idiot, it's called STUDY abroad for a reason. Give it a try, you'd be surprised how much you'll learn!

I 100% recommend a homestay!

A plethora of opportunities within Seville and other places in Spain and beyond!

Should be more accessible, communicative

Social Life:
You'll be able to find people who want to go out every night, and you'll never run out of new bars to try. Be aware that Spaniards go out after midnight and return around 6 am, and if you try to go out at 9 they will definitely judge you.