SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Tunisia: Emerging Identities in North Africa

Experience the Arab world's first democracy

SIT Tunisia is an amazing experience to witness social and political change firsthand. The independent research component integrates you into the country, connects you with locals, and allows you to gain real-world experience in your topic of interest - be it women's rights, indigenous communities, development, religion, arts, you name it. Sidi Bou Said is beautiful. The food is amazing. Zero qualms about this program.

Immersive, Exciting, Educational, Fun, Unique

I wanted to study in a place where I could practice my French and learn some Arabic, and in a place that was off the beaten track, but rich in culture and politics. Tunisia was different enough to be exciting and to teach me a lot, but also had a welcoming culture that was easy to adjust to. I chose SIT because of their emphasis on experiential learning.

All the SIT students took a 1 week trip to the south of the country which was incredible. We rode camels in the Sahara, saw incredible Roman ruins, passed through the town where the Arab Spring started, and walked around the sets of Star Wars. We also got to practice our Arabic and French, and bonded a lot on the weeklong roadtrip.