SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Samoa: Pacific Communities and Social Change

Pacific Island Studies

All drop off challenges. Through SIT, they have Drop-off assignments. These are situations that they challenge you to figure out how to do something in this country. Our first drop-off was to meet in the town center, as our teacher dropped us off at random villages around the country. She gave us money that was equivalent to $0.50 USD, and told us to meet her in a few hours. Without knowing how to speak the language, how public transportation was, she knew we would make it. WE ALL DID, because we underestimate what we are capable of.

I chose this program because I wanted to learn a new language and study something interesting. This allowed me to do both!

Samoan houses have no walls. Prepare yourself for no privacy. There is no hot water, some families don’t even have running water. Showers can be challenging, but with the heat of the country, it’s not too bad. Most families do not have furniture, so you sleep on the floor. This will be your accommodation during your homestay. Throughout the rest of the semester, you will stay on campus at a local university. Living with other students from around the Pacific Islands. You will have 2-4 roommates and have a bed, desk, and communal, suite bathroom.

Pacific Island Studies

If you are looking to have the freedom to create your own Independent Study Project (research ANY topic), learn a new language, live with one or more host families, and study abroad in a place that not many people know about, than this program is for you! SIT prides itself on learning by experiencing, meaning that you have excursions all the time (even to Fiji, Hawai’i, and American Samoa). I studied abroad twice and my experience was different from ANY of my friend’s experiences. Be prepared to come back with a new perspective on life.

This is a hands-on study abroad trip. Although you have classes the first 2/3 of the semester, you have the last 1/3 to create your own Independent Study Project (ISP). You can do it on anything, making it more fun than any class!

You will be living like a local...no hot water, some host families do not have mattresses or much furniture, so you sleep on the floor (alongside the rest of the family). You need to dress conservatively, and partake in local chores. It can be challenging, but is WELL WORTH IT!

Jackie, who has been doing this program for...ever, is WONDERFUL!