Round River Conservation Studies Header Image Round River Conservation Studies Header Image

Botswana Conservation Program

Unique experience in the Bush

The Okavango is an unbelievably biodiverse area. Living in the midst of all of the wildlife that I had dreamed of seeing since a little kid was surreal. Going to sleep listening to lion roars and waking up to elephant rumbles was more than I could have ever asked for. The research that we did while moving around northern Botswana was also extremely helpful for my personal growth and future career. I learned all about different research methods and also had the opportunity to design and carry out my own research project. The classes taught during the program were relevant and the conversations we had during class (usually under a big tree, often interrupted by wildlife walking by) were stimulating and also helped broaden my perspectives on conservation globally. I genuinely felt like I was helping the areas that I was in by being a part of conservation efforts that were involved with the communities that they work in.

Incredible experience with amazing wildlife, people, and academics

The program was amazing--we had the opportunity to conduct wildlife monitoring of some sort almost every day, whether going out to survey birds or herbivores or carnivore spoor. It was so cool to get to see the wildlife up close, and even though we saw elephants almost daily, it never got any less exciting. Engaging with communities gave us a unique perspective of the wildlife and it was really neat to learn about the people and cultures of Botswana. On top of all that, our instructors were invaluable. Their wealth of knowledge and experiences taught us so much beyond the coursework (which was also super relevant and much more interesting than many of the lectures I’d been going to for the last three years) and they will surely continue to be important mentors in the future. The students were great! The time we spent together allowed us to get to know each other and really become a family. I loved the opportunity to camp for the semester and learn through experience outside a traditional classroom setting. 10/10, would recommend! I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Studying abroad with Round River Conservation Studies: the best decision I've ever made.

Imagine spending every day outside, observing elephants bathing at sundown, huge herds of zebra migrating, and wild dogs running by camp hunting in a pack. Envision immersing yourself in local ecosystems and getting to learn how to recognize nearly every plant, animal, and bird that surrounds you. Then picture yourself falling asleep every night in your tent to the sounds of hyenas and hippos, and maybe even the call of a lion.

After deciding I wanted to a do a field based study abroad program, I found Round River Conservation Studies and their Botswana semester program. Myself, 5 other students, and four instructors spent the 90+ day program living in a tents and conducting field research. What was extremely unique about this program was that all the work we were doing was actually aiding in local conservation efforts. Not only did I get a full semester of credits and learned an incredible amount myself, I got to make a real difference in this place I had become very attached too. Studying abroad with Round River gave me a completely unique opportunity that no other students or tourists will get. Every program is unique depending on the season and work that needs to be done. On my program we split our time in 5 different concessions areas through the Okavango Delta and Chobe Enclaves. We got to experience different local management strategies and habitats. One of the best parts of my semester abroad was how untraditional it was. We didn't spend endless hours working on essays in the library and if something exciting was happening around us, we could drop what we were doing and go see the lion rumored to be just down the river. For anyone who is looking for a hands on experience, this is the program for you. Round River is great at making you feel comfortable traveling to a foreign country and they set you up with everything you will need. I strongly recommend checking out the student blogs from active programs.

Life in the Bush

Round River was a fantastic experience. As students, we participated in actual research projects. Nature's classroom is the best kind! As a group, we got to live in tents and know each other so well! It is a unique bonding experience that I highly recommend. The wildlife was incredible, as were the group, our leaders and the local guides.