PO Box 899 Nelson, 7040 New Zealand
-Multi-Country Locations: Asia Region, Southeast Asia Region, Various cities in each country; Cambodia: Battambang, Kep, Phnom Penh and 2 other cities; Laos: Luang Namtha, Luang Prabang, Rural Areas; Thailand: Bangkok, Chiang Khong, Chiang Mai and 3 other cities; Vietnam: Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Hoi An and 2 other cities
Fall, Spring, Winter, Trimester, Throughout the year
Typical Duration of Program
Jan - Mar and Sep - Nov every year
The Pacific Discovery Southeast Asia Program is an inspiring educational travel semester through the diverse and friendly Buddhist countries of Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. Southeast Asia is a fascinating melting pot of history, peoples, diverse cultures and dramatic landscapes ideally suited to an extraordinary educational travel experience.
The program has a strong experiential focus. Participants get involved in service learning projects, have opportunities for meaningful connections with local people, gain knowledge of Southeast Asia's history, societies and environments, push personal boundaries and develop their leadership skills.
This educational travel summer program is suitable for high school graduates, gap year students, college students and graduates, ideally 18-24 years.
Since 2001, Pacific Discovery has provided travel study programs for hundreds of students and graduates, utilizing a staff of experienced and qualified program leaders and faculty.
If you have a thirst for adventure, to explore places you've dreamed of, learning through hands-on experiences, and making friends for life, then join us!
* The ancient Thai historical capital of Sukhothai and its superb temples and monuments
* Volunteer week at the award-winning Elephant Nature Foundation
* Thai cooking course, Muay Thai (Thai martial art) workshop and an intro to yoga class in Chiang Mai
* 2-day Buddhist meditation retreat run by Thai monks in Chiang Mai
* 2-day climbing and caving introductory course in Northern Thailand
* 2-day trekking trip in the Nam Ha Biodiversity Conservation area in Northern Laos
* 3-day riverboat journey down the Nam Tha and Mekong Rivers
* World Heritage town Luang Prabang, with its relaxed ambience, temples, waterfall and textiles
* 2-day trekking trip in Northern Vietnam amidst fascinating highland cultures
* 3-day boating and sea kayaking trip in spectacular Halong Bay
* Moto tour of Hue, the former imperial capital of Vietnam
* Gorgeous Hoi An and a workshop with a development organization
* Get claustrophobic in Cu Chi’s Vietnam War era tunnel systems
* Mekong Delta exploration by bike and riverboat with rural homestay
* Markets, museums and temples in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Phnom Penh and Bangkok
* Insight into rural Cambodian life, home-staying with a wonderful family in Takeo Province
* Volunteer days building a simple home for a marginalized family in Kampot, Cambodia
* Volunteer days teaching English to high school students in Takeo and Kampot, Cambodia
* Exploring the amazing temples of Angkor Wat
* Intro Scuba Diving and beach time in Southern Thailand
* Series of informal lectures and discussions on history, culture and society
* Very personalized small group experience (compare with other programs of up to 40 students)
* Fantastic program leader/s supported by local guides
Bachelors Degree (Undergraduate)
No experience needed, but we like participants to have a positive attitude, be enthusiastic, open to new experiences and other cultures.
* Internal and international program flights within Asia.
* Optional tickets available from Los Angeles to Bangkok return.
* All visas and airport taxes while traveling with the program.
* All accommodations - from rustic thatch bungalows to modern hotels and beach front lodges.
* In country transport - including chartered vans, local buses, trains, various boats, bicycles, rickshaws and elephants.
* All activities & excursions described in the itinerary.
* Meals as outlined in the registration packet.
* Experienced and knowledgeable program leaders.
* Academic facilitator (if taking optional credit).
18 - 23 ideal
American, European, Canadian, Australian, South African, Kiwi, Worldwide and Asian Participants.
in Groups of 12-14
Pacific Discovery does not provide scholarships, but we are happy to support you with any information required if you would like to pursue your own indepdent scholarship application.
Through meaningful and challenging experiential travel, we assist participants in gaining the skills, confidence and insight to realize their potential in an increasingly global society; develop empathy for other cultures; further understanding of international issues; and heighten appreciation for the earth's wilderness and diversity.
I learned so much about culture, eco-tourism and being conscious. I felt proud to be part of group that was also learning about responsible travel. This program pushed us to think critically about ...More
I am so thankful that my first big trip was with Pacific Discovery, it taught me to be responsible about travelling and the impact we all leave everywhere we go, I really think it will shape the wa...More
I think the Southeast Asia program is genius! It's just so damn well planned out and thought through! How do you do it?More
The trip was so very wonderful. That was a life-altering experience. Thank you for helping it happen and give our best to Jennie and Roger, two of the very best people we have ever met.More
This experience changed my life, I first signed up for the trip not knowing what to expect, and full of nerves, but once met by the Pacific Discovery staff in Peru and the other travelers my worrie...More
Did you participate on a program with Pacific Discovery?
Share your thoughts!