ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants ISA (International Studies Abroad) participants

ISA Study Abroad in Meknes, Morocco

A once in a lifetime summer

This past summer I lived in Meknes, Morocco for 2.5 months. This city is not one of the biggest tourist attractions in the country and that made for some wonderful cultural immersion. I spent 6 weeks volunteering at an orphanage and then 6 weeks taking classes at a study center. I lived in an apartment with 5 other girls in the program and we became lifelong friends. I was also there during the World Cup and Ramadan. We lived in the more modern part of the city and would spend our evenings at the cafes watching soccer, drinking tea, and practicing our language skills with locals. Support staff showed us safe locations for nightlife and we never had an issue. Being a woman was sometimes difficult due to cat calling but if you are in a large group or walk with a male friend it almost completely disappears. We went on weekend trips almost every weekends and the support staff would help us to arrange anything that was not an included excursion.

To Morocco, Inshallah!

This program was incredible. The staff at ISA was AMAZING and totally committed to making the students' experience as great as possible. Morocco is so different from anywhere in the US, which just made the experiences I had there all the more valuable. I came away with such a better idea of the "developing world," Islam, monarchy, and all of these concepts that we often understand from an American viewpoint without question. You will not regret Morocco.

Mo-ROCK-in My World

My experience studying abroad in Morocco has not only allowed me to meet others with similar passions as my own, but has also enabled me to immerse myself in an unknown culture and speak with locals about issues that affect them on a daily basis. Improving my French and Arabic allowed me to make closer connections with my host family and friends, and taking religion, gender, and politics classes helped me in completing graduation requirements at my home institution.