Incredible Volunteering in Lima: Costs from USD 180

I won the lottery in Peru!

When I got in the plane to Lima, I was expecting to volunteer with orphanage kids and try to make a small impact in their everyday lives, without really knowing if I was helping them in the long-term, though I thought it might be worth it anyway; even if I only made a small difference in a child's day, I would be happy. I was also expecting that this experience would be positive for my resumé, as an International Development student, and I was hoping to meet a few people along the way, but I was sure that ultimately I would be relieved to finish volunteering and leaving to travel on my own. However, this is not how my experience went. Even though I only did two weeks volunteering with
IVHQ/Tarpuy Sonqo, I have learned more about myself in that period of time than in the last year, I got to be part of a Peruvian family and learn about their culture and way of life, I had the chance to spend time and create strong bonds with teenage mothers who are in a difficult situation, and I got to meet people who ended up becoming very important to me. At the end of it all, I couldn't care less about my resumé and couldn't be more heartbroken about leaving the volunteers, coordinators, homestay family and inspiring teenage girls. When my two weeks were done, I felt like the richest person in the whole world, because I had lived a priceless experience which I will remember forever and am eager to repeat.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 11, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Thanks for your beautiful review! We’ve loved having you as an IVHQ volunteer and we are so humbled to hear how life changing this experience has been for you. We would be thrilled to have you join us again in the future.