Incredible Volunteering in Ghana: Costs from USD 270

Changed in the best way

I was in the pink program in Dodowa and it was the most challenging but rewarding thing I've ever done. I loved every second of my experience and I'm planning on going back for 2 months in June 2017. Not only were the kids incredible and humbling, but the other volunteers I met will be friends for life. The only thing I would change is how much money IVHQ told us to bring. I had no problem spending it, but I wish I would have known beforehand so I could have raised more for the kids. Otherwise, it was LIFE CHANGING and everyone should do it.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Thanks for sharing a review from your time in Ghana. We are so glad to hear that you loved every second of your volunteer experience. Thanks for your tip on bringing more money for donations – volunteers that wish to make donations to their placement will need to factor this into their budget. We can’t wait to welcome you back next year.

The best adventure

I was in the Purple Medical program for a week in Frankadua. When I first arrived in Accra the staff was very accommodating and I met great friends there that I would go to Cape Coast with. The living conditions in Frankadua were good, only no plumbing or running water. That was the only downfall.

Going to Cape Coast with Evans and all of my friends I had made was hands down THE best experience of my life to date. So safe and fun, we were really able to enjoy ourselves and explore after a hard week at our programs.

The staff at IVHQ is phenomenal and Evans is hands down one of my favorites! Such a nice guy and I'm happy to call him a friend. He really helped make our trip to Cape Coast great and I can speak for all of us when I say he was awesome and fun to hang out with.

Benedict, Maggie and Evans - thank you guys! :) I can't wait to come back and volunteer again!

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 27, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Hi Kenzie, We are so glad to hear that you had a great experience on the program in Ghana! We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Recommended!

I and my two friends have placed in the silver program (teaching & childcare) for 2 weeks.

Children in the orphanage were adorable, friendly and respectful.
Most of the children approached us without any constraint since the first moment we met.

Of course the volunteer duties were tough (Bathing, Dishing, Meal Servings...) but it should be because that was the purpose of this trip from the start. ^^

Food was great!!!!. Mama Pat (homestay host in our placement) was amazing cook. I LOVE her food.
(I still think of her food here in Canada and trying to reproduce that taste but its pretty hard TT)

It was OK for me but living condition can be challenging to someone at the first time. Just deal with that you will adapt to it anyways.

IVHQ local team have provided great care throughout the entire trip.
More than enough informations, advices, transportations etc. (thanks Evans)

All volunteers have chance to travel to Cape Coast for 3 days in Ghana.
During the vacation, I felt safe and being protected. The beach and food were great. Historical heritages and activities were unforgettable.

All new environments became a nice and fresh shock to me.
Overall, this volunteer trip was full of eye opening experience. I recommend this program to anyone who's ready to go abroad for volunteer

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review October 06, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Hi Mike, Thanks for sharing this review from your eye-opening time in Ghana. We are glad that we could facilitate your trip and you certainly made the most of it by exploring Ghana, enjoying the local food, and getting stuck into the volunteer work. It has been great to have you as an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Ghana Do It Again

Going through IVHQ was a great way for me to volunteer and see a new country. Having someone take care of your food, housing, transportation, and placement was a huge relief while adjusting to a completely new and unfamiliar place. They also provided a step by step process and check list to prepare you. It saved me a lot of time and uncertainty. Although one cultural difference to be aware of is most people are on "island time", meaning nothing is done quickly or on time. However, Ghana is a country full of loving and friendly people. I was there for two months working in Childcare and Teaching. The kids steal your heart and all I've been thinking about since I left is how I can go back.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review September 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Hi Grace, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the positives of volunteering with IVHQ - we can't agree with you more but it's always great to hear from our volunteers that we made the process of travelling and volunteering abroad more simple. We are so glad that you had a positive experience with IVHQ and with our local team in Ghana. We hope to have you on another of our programs again sometime soon.

The Potter's Village - An Experience of a Lifetime

For several years I had anticipated serving as a global volunteer. During those years, I did my due diligence and soon realized that there are many volunteer organizations to choose from. Some charge steep fees to participate and others require a two week minimum commitment . After my beloved husband unexpectedly passed away last year, I decided to honor him by volunteering at an orphanage in Ghana during the first anniversary of his death.

Since I have several responsibilities at home in the USA, I chose a one week Child Care Program with International Volunteer HQ. As a grandmother of three, I was led to believe that whatever I experienced in Ghana would be inspiring enough to further promote a spirit of serving others and giving-forward.

My journey began in Accra, the capitol of Ghana. High rise buildings, shopping centers and bill boards lined the busy streets while local women carrying huge objects on their heads were an eye-catching divergence. Extremely impressive! As my journey continued, soon our group was driven to a rural town called Dodowa. It is where the orphanage, The Potter's Village is located.

Dodowa is home to numerous goats, hens, chicks, roosters and a few random dogs here and there. The people are beautiful, friendly and smart. Most speak English along with their native tongue Twee. The children at the orphanage greeted my co-workers and myself with so much love and affection that by the time I said my good-byes on my last day, I literally sobbed. My departure left me with an overwhelming feeling of joy and a sense of purpose.

The Potter's Village needs volunteers to assist them daily and they also need monetary support. One thing they have plenty of is unconditional love. My Ghana experience truly changed my life.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review March 17, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Hi Tamra, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about IVHQ and your time volunteering in Ghana with us. We are glad to hear you had such a life changing experience and we hope to welcome you back on another IVHQ program again in the future.